or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 308

post #9211 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonesky View Post

Very excited to get a 65 when they come out--it was tough sitting out last year 12.gif

What do you mean when they come out, GT series 65" came out last year, this year they discontinued it. Next year who knows but I doubt it.
post #9212 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonesky View Post

Very excited to get a 65 when they come out--it was tough sitting out last year 12.gif
You might want to check out the ST60 "best buy for the bucks" models. wink.gif
post #9213 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

2D to 3D? Do you have any native 3D Blu-ray's?

I do have some native 3D content. Why do you ask?
post #9214 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshfever View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

2D to 3D? Do you have any native 3D Blu-ray's?

I do have some native 3D content. Why do you ask?
It would seem to make for a more reliable test if you use actual 1080/24p content rather than the 2D->3D feature.
post #9215 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshfever View Post

... the Blu-ray player uses Frame Packing to send the signal in 2d to 3D mode. It is not a clean duplicate image, it is actually a stacked frame that is sent at 1920x2205/24p. It is basically the frame vertically atop the other one. I wonder if this is the reason I noticed a slight twitch. ... Thank you.


Frame Packing Article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20063310-1/how-3d-content-works-blu-ray-vs-broadcast/

You are correct that the disk player is not generating separate 1080p images and sending them at 96 Hz to the TV. I don't think the HDMI standard allows for such things. But, the frame-packed 3D image can contain two complete full resolution 1080p images. The TV then splits that single frame-packed image into two separate 1080p images just as though it were 2 independent images. So, it could in theory be a clean duplicate image. In reality, I have no idea what the processor in the disk player is doing.

This is the full resolution 3D format that only an HDMI 1.4 player can deal with. There are some lower quality HDMI 1.3 compatible 3D formats that put side-by-side or top-and-bottom 1/2 resolution images in a standard 1080p frame. Its pretty much the same idea as frame-packing except the frame is much smaller. These formats certainly would not be a "clean duplicate image".

I'm still intrigued about the idea of simply taking standard 24 fps content and converting it to frame-packed 3D to maintain the full resolution then displaying it essentially at 96 Hz on a 48 Hz 3D display like the GT and removing both the flicker and the pull-down processing.

For that matter, I guess the question is why the GT is "only" a 60 Hz set when it should be capable of running at 96 Hz. Maybe, that is the answer ... Maybe the GT is not actually running 3D content at 96 Hz like is being suggested. Maybe it is just doing pull-down on the 48 Hz signal and moving to its native 60 Hz rather than actually doubling it to 96 Hz. Hmmmmmmm ?
Edited by tpollagi - 7/20/13 at 7:00am
post #9216 of 9713
You won't believe this. I called to check again, and they said the part is on back order. They referred me to Panasonic again, and it look long enough to get the right info, but they finally told me that back order usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks. I was told it usually takes no more than 7 days. Has anyone else ever heard of it taking this long?
post #9217 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

You are correct that the disk player is not generating separate 1080p images and sending them at 96 Hz to the TV. I don't think the HDMI standard allows for such things. But, the frame-packed 3D image can contain two complete full resolution 1080p images. The TV then splits that single frame-packed image into two separate 1080p images just as though it were 2 independent images. So, it could in theory be a clean duplicate image. In reality, I have no idea what the processor in the disk player is doing.

This is the full resolution 3D format that only an HDMI 1.4 player can deal with. There are some lower quality HDMI 1.3 compatible 3D formats that put side-by-side or top-and-bottom 1/2 resolution images in a standard 1080p frame. Its pretty much the same idea as frame-packing except the frame is much smaller. These formats certainly would not be a "clean duplicate image".

I'm still intrigued about the idea of simply taking standard 24 fps content and converting it to frame-packed 3D to maintain the full resolution then displaying it essentially at 96 Hz on a 48 Hz 3D display like the GT and removing both the flicker and the pull-down processing.

For that matter, I guess the question is why the GT is "only" a 60 Hz set when it should be capable of running at 96 Hz. Maybe, that is the answer ... Maybe the GT is not actually running 3D content at 96 Hz like is being suggested. Maybe it is just doing pull-down on the 48 Hz signal and moving to its native 60 Hz rather than actually doubling it to 96 Hz. Hmmmmmmm ?

I think you are right. I have watched a lot of bluray content switching between the two settings (2D to 3D @ 48hz, and 24p @ 60hz) and I am seeing the same judder and what I believe is 2:3 pulldown on both settings. I do not think I have somehow defeated the flicker but I have just come up with an elaborate way to watch 2:3 pulldown blurays. I guess the only way to truly tell is to get some test material that has instructions as to what to look for with film cadence. Thanks for the help.
post #9218 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

When my GT30 had an issue they had to send someone out. There are no official Panasonic techs in my area, so a local repair crew was sent. These two looked and smelled like chain smoking, alcoholic members of a 70's biker gang. They handled my 65" GT30 as gently as you would expect based on my description of them. They replaced the A board and it didn't fix my particular problem. (I told both Panasonic and this repair company that it wouldn't fix the issue but that appears to always be the first step) So, they took it with them and ordered a new panel that nearly cost more than the TV. It even had to be imported, as it was out of stock. I was without my GT30 for about two months due to a shipment/U.S. Customs issue. Finally, they agreed to just give me a new TV. By then the GT50's were out and that's what they sent me.
I am really curious about this now, because it has been nearly 2 weeks and the part has been on back order, as I stated. Would you mind telling me what the issue with your TV was? I'm not even sure replacing the A board will fix this sound issue, as at first I thought it was just a loose wire, as someone stated here. What exactly made them decide to give you a new TV? I'm really not interested in doing that right now, as I really love this set otherwise. How long had you had your GT30?
post #9219 of 9713
I have a GT50 60 inch I bought late August 2012. An infrequent error has been happening on the set. Description: while watching TV the video will suddenly display a multi-colored scrambled picture, the audio will screech and this will happen for about 3 seconds and the set will shut off. After about a second the set will turn on by itself and a message will be displayed on the screen: "An error has been detected and recovered" and the set plays fine after that. I started recording the frequency of this last month. This happened six times in June and five times so far in July.

Anyone else experience this? Since my 1 year warranty is set to expire, I will call for service regardless to get this "problem" documented. Thanks!
post #9220 of 9713
Haven't heard of this at all but it's good you are calling Panasonic to document this problem. Good luck.
post #9221 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssetta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

When my GT30 had an issue they had to send someone out. There are no official Panasonic techs in my area, so a local repair crew was sent. These two looked and smelled like chain smoking, alcoholic members of a 70's biker gang. They handled my 65" GT30 as gently as you would expect based on my description of them. They replaced the A board and it didn't fix my particular problem. (I told both Panasonic and this repair company that it wouldn't fix the issue but that appears to always be the first step) So, they took it with them and ordered a new panel that nearly cost more than the TV. It even had to be imported, as it was out of stock. I was without my GT30 for about two months due to a shipment/U.S. Customs issue. Finally, they agreed to just give me a new TV. By then the GT50's were out and that's what they sent me.
I am really curious about this now, because it has been nearly 2 weeks and the part has been on back order, as I stated. Would you mind telling me what the issue with your TV was? I'm not even sure replacing the A board will fix this sound issue, as at first I thought it was just a loose wire, as someone stated here. What exactly made them decide to give you a new TV? I'm really not interested in doing that right now, as I really love this set otherwise. How long had you had your GT30?

I had a vertical line. They replaced the A board which, if I remember correctly, took about a week to get. That did nothing and they next wanted to replace the panel. That part was backordered and had to be shipped from overseas. That's what ended up taking so long. I ended up calling their corporate offices and complaining. They set a deadline for the repair. If it hadn't been done by a certain date, I would receiver a new TV. Lucky for me this was after the GT50's had been released and they replaced my GT30 with a GT50. There are two basic things that will lead to you getting a replacement TV:

1.) If they repair is too costly for them.
2.) If the repair takes too long and you complain to the right people.
post #9222 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL24 View Post

I have a GT50 60 inch I bought late August 2012. An infrequent error has been happening on the set. Description: while watching TV the video will suddenly display a multi-colored scrambled picture, the audio will screech and this will happen for about 3 seconds and the set will shut off. After about a second the set will turn on by itself and a message will be displayed on the screen: "An error has been detected and recovered" and the set plays fine after that. I started recording the frequency of this last month. This happened six times in June and five times so far in July.

Anyone else experience this? Since my 1 year warranty is set to expire, I will call for service regardless to get this "problem" documented. Thanks!

I have never heard of that happening. Yes, call them immediately.
post #9223 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL24 View Post

I have a GT50 60 inch .... while watching TV the video will suddenly display a multi-colored scrambled picture, the audio will screech and this will happen for about 3 seconds and the set will shut off. After about a second the set will turn on by itself and a message will be displayed on the screen: "An error has been detected and recovered" and the set plays fine after that. I started recording the frequency of this last month. This happened six times in June and five times so far in July.

I don't think it should matter but I'm curious, has the input signal been always from the same source, ie., cable box or from various inputs when this issue occured?
post #9224 of 9713
No. I should have stated that in my original post. The problem has occurred on three different input sources as well as once when I was streaming video using the Amazon Video App for the TV (so 4 input sources including the Ethernet connection).

Thanks to all for such quick responses. I will be calling service tomorrow. Given the problem is so sporadic, I hope the TV is keeping a log of the errors to prove the problem exists.
post #9225 of 9713
Well I just had a different service center come look at it today, through best buy this time. they opened up the set (unlike the last one) and it turns out that the subwoofer itself is shot. I didnt even know that was possible. He said that the coil was open, but I couldn't really tell.
post #9226 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssetta View Post

Well I just had a different service center come look at it today, through best buy this time. they opened up the set (unlike the last one) and it turns out that the subwoofer itself is shot. I didnt even know that was possible. He said that the coil was open, but I couldn't really tell.

So, what are they going to do?
post #9227 of 9713
They'll have to order a new subwoofer. I'm not sure if it will take just as long, if not longer, than to order the main board.
post #9228 of 9713
I've had this TV for just over a year. Love it. Having some problems.

Short and sweet version, I came home one night and the HDMI and Component inputs are not working. I tired a few different devices, cables etc. no good. Just get the searching for signals message. The coax and USB inputs seems fine and Ethernet is working. The night that it stopped working there was a pretty severe thunder and lighting storm, so that is a possible cause. All other components seems fine.

Ay thoughts? The board fried? I would think perhaps the coax and USB would be screwed too then no? I tried a actors reset. I think I may be out of options.

I have not called Panasonic yet, but like I said, I got this a year ago. Literally 13 months so I am just out of warranty and I'm not expecting them to be a huge help. I would look into fixing it myself, but I've heard that boards like this can go around 600 bucks, in which case I may as well just buy an S60.

Any opinions, advice or even sympathy be appreciated.
post #9229 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRob View Post

I've had this TV for just over a year. Love it. Having some problems.

Short and sweet version, I came home one night and the HDMI and Component inputs are not working. I tired a few different devices, cables etc. no good. Just get the searching for signals message. The coax and USB inputs seems fine and Ethernet is working. The night that it stopped working there was a pretty severe thunder and lighting storm, so that is a possible cause. All other components seems fine.

Ay thoughts? The board fried? I would think perhaps the coax and USB would be screwed too then no? I tried a actors reset. I think I may be out of options.

I have not called Panasonic yet, but like I said, I got this a year ago. Literally 13 months so I am just out of warranty and I'm not expecting them to be a huge help. I would look into fixing it myself, but I've heard that boards like this can go around 600 bucks, in which case I may as well just buy an S60.

Any opinions, advice or even sympathy be appreciated.

So you tried resetting to default? How about unplugging your set for 30min? And plugging it back on? Did you buy your tv cash or credit? If you bought cash you are out of warranty if you didn't get extended but if you bought with credit card you usually get 2 year warranty, that is with visa anyways. Are you sure your cable box is working? Sometimes they get messed up as well when they update and get fried too. That happened to my cable box once and they replaced it. I would reset even my cable box too, you never know.
post #9230 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRob View Post


Any opinions, advice or even sympathy be appreciated.
Calling Panasonic and getting an estimate is one thing a lot of people would do.
post #9231 of 9713
I will of course call Panasonic, but just in case someone had a similar experience I thought I might try the forums. Appreciate the advice.

The component actually is working, so it seems to just be the 4 HDMI inputs. I've tried multiple devices, and I have an old TV propped up and everything is working so it would appear to just be the the new TV. I gave a it a rest for a day or so too. No go.

I bought it on Amazon, using my Amex, so maybe that will help inform the warranty? I'll do a little more research on that so I have all the info when I call them.
post #9232 of 9713
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRob View Post

I came home one night and the HDMI and Component inputs are not working. I tired a few different devices, cables etc. no good. Just get the searching for signals message. The coax and USB inputs seems fine and Ethernet is working. The night that it stopped working there was a pretty severe thunder and lighting storm, so that is a possible cause. All other components seems fine. Ay thoughts? The board fried? I would think perhaps the coax and USB would be screwed too then no? I tried a actors reset. I think I may be out of options.

During the Lightning Storm was there a cable box (or a satellite receiver) connected to the TV via HDMI? If so, it probably passed a surge into the input board and fried it. This has happened to many people here over the years, and sometimes the cable company has taken responsibility for it and covered the cost of repairing the TV, but expect a fight.

Quote:
I have not called Panasonic yet, but like I said, I got this a year ago. Literally 13 months so I am just out of warranty and I'm not expecting them to be a huge help. I would look into fixing it myself, but I've heard that boards like this can go around 600 bucks, in which case I may as well just buy an S60. Any opinions, advice or even sympathy be appreciated.

Panasonic has historically been pretty good about covering a board replacement when the TV has failed at only 13 months - they've done this for many many people here under "customer goodwill". Just tell them that you expect your expensive Panasonic brand TV to last more than 13 months which is why you didn't buy a Samsung, and politely ask them to cover the repair. Don't mention the lightning storm though wink.gif
post #9233 of 9713
I just bought a VT60 60".. I have it mounted on the same wall as my GT50 50" ,but about 4 feet over into a different room with just a doorway separating them.. So basically, i can compare thier PQ'S to each other.. Why is it that the GT50 right now has a better picture? It's sharper, and the image pops more. Could it be because the VT60 isn't broken in? My GT50 is exactly 1 year old. and honestly
i feel the PQ on it has vastly improved from when i first got it.. Or maybe the fact that the GT50 is a 50" and the VT is a 60"? Ive always heard that 50"s hit a sweet spot in tvs, that usually gives that size range
the best PQ. I really hope this VT60 gets at least as good as my GT50, because if now this things going back and I'll pick up a GT50 60" somewhere,, lol
Edited by Tony1 - 8/8/13 at 6:08pm
post #9234 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Why is it that the GT50 right now has a better picture? It's sharper, and the image pops more. Could it be because the VT60 isn't broken in?

I can't speak for a difference between the two models but I can tell you that the picture quality on my 60" set got much better after the break in period of about 300+ hours. All the colors, saturation, picture depth, etc., all got better. Not sure if you can get the break in perior done and still be able to return the set back if you are not satisfied in time though. Also try to check all the setting from set to set, as the default settings on the new TV may be way off in comparison to the old set.
post #9235 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I just bought a VT60 60".. I have it mounted on the same wall as my GT50 50" ,but about 4 feet over into a different room with just a doorway separating them.. So basically, i can compare thier PQ'S to each other.. Why is it that the GT50 right now has a better picture? It's sharper, and the image pops more. Could it be because the VT60 isn't broken in? My GT50 is exactly 1 year old. and honestly
i feel the PQ on it has vastly improved from when i first got it.. Or maybe the fact that the GT50 is a 50" and the VT is a 60"? Ive always heard that 50"s hit a sweet spot in tvs, that usually gives that size range
the best PQ. I really hot this VT60 gets at least as good as my GT50, because if now this things going back and I'll pick up a GT50 60" somewhere,, lol

If its like my other Panny sets it will improve, just like you mentioned your GT50 has. But yes, the bigger the display the more imperfections you tend to see. In my house my 60GT50 took the place of a 54GT15. The 50 is about a year old and the 15 over 4 years old (still going strong in the game room).. I still like the picture on the 15 better.

IMHO its the glass/panel on the GT50. Unless in a near dark or completly dark room, light creates a grayish green washed out appearance to the picture. Get the room quite dimmed or dark and the GT50 is stunning. Again - IMHO, its not the TV to have in a bright room especially with sunlight during viewing times.. Any way the only reason I bring that up is may be the light is slightly different in your rooms. BUT, I would agree your VT will improve over time.

Cheers
post #9236 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I just bought a VT60 60".. I have it mounted on the same wall as my GT50 50" ,but about 4 feet over into a different room with just a doorway separating them.. So basically, i can compare thier PQ'S to each other.. Why is it that the GT50 right now has a better picture? It's sharper, and the image pops more. Could it be because the VT60 isn't broken in? My GT50 is exactly 1 year old. and honestly
i feel the PQ on it has vastly improved from when i first got it.. Or maybe the fact that the GT50 is a 50" and the VT is a 60"? Ive always heard that 50"s hit a sweet spot in tvs, that usually gives that size range
the best PQ. I really hot this VT60 gets at least as good as my GT50, because if now this things going back and I'll pick up a GT50 60" somewhere,, lol

Are both calibrated, either by yourself or a professional, with a meter and corresponding software? It would be difficult to fairly compare them if they were not.
post #9237 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Are both calibrated, either by yourself or a professional, with a meter and corresponding software? It would be difficult to fairly compare them if they were not.


yes, I calibrated both of them myself very similarly, but i'm by no means a pro. lol
post #9238 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Or maybe the fact that the GT50 is a 50" and the VT is a 60"?
The smaller set will certainly look sharper because it's pixels are smaller. You are covering a 60" screen with the same number of pixels that the smaller screen has.
post #9239 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The smaller set will certainly look sharper because it's pixels are smaller. You are covering a 60" screen with the same number of pixels that the smaller screen has.
A bigger screen doesnt have more pixels? You certain? I can see maybe between a 26" and 32" but does a 65" have the same number of pixels as a 26"?
post #9240 of 9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The smaller set will certainly look sharper because it's pixels are smaller. You are covering a 60" screen with the same number of pixels that the smaller screen has.
A bigger screen doesnt have more pixels? You certain? I can see maybe between a 26" and 32" but does a 65" have the same number of pixels as a 26"?
All 1080p displays have 1920 x 1080 pixels regardless of the size of the screen. I don't follow small screen specs, but my guess would be that their native resolution would be less than 1920 x 1080.

I was curious, so I did a search at Amazon for 32" sets. Seven were 720p (1280x720 or 921,600 pixels), and six were 1080p (1920x1080 or 2,073,600 pixels).

I tried 26" TVs too. Of those I found, two models were 720p and the others were marked "no information provided".

A 32" flat panel TV would have the smallest pixels and as the screen size increases the pixel count will remain the same, so each pixel must get bigger.
Edited by htwaits - 7/25/13 at 2:16pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]