or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Front Speaker Placement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Front Speaker Placement

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone. I'm upgrading from a 56" TV to a 70" TV which will be delivered tomorrow. One thing I didn't really think long and hard about first was how the larger TV would impact my front speakers (L&R).

My listening position is 16' from the TV, and currently the front 2 channels are on either side of my 56" on speaker stands. This puts them only 8' apart or so with the center channel centered between them of course. I was thinking that at a listening position 16' from the TV I could afford to have the front channels farther apart without doing any damage to SQ right? With the 70" TV being a good deal bigger it doesn't seem realistic to keep the speakers in their current locations... so I feel moving them both farther away from the TV is the way to go. Based on this limited information, how far apart do you think the fronts should be? I don't want them to get so far apart that they begin to seem like side channels if that makes sense... thanks everyone!
post #2 of 14
Personally, I don't think there is a definitive answer. Move them a little and see if it makes a difference. Also try toeing in or out. I've moved my speakers dozens of times. I'm at about 90% of perfect. Room acoustics also plays a part.
post #3 of 14
The center-to-center distance between front speakers should be somewhat less than the distance from each speaker to your ears. Any further apart and you get the "hole-in-the-middle" effect. Then you really need a center speaker.

If you have a center speaker anyway, it is less critical, but I would still try to stay with that rule.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

Hey everyone. I'm upgrading from a 56" TV to a 70" TV which will be delivered tomorrow. One thing I didn't really think long and hard about first was how the larger TV would impact my front speakers (L&R).

My listening position is 16' from the TV, and currently the front 2 channels are on either side of my 56" on speaker stands. This puts them only 8' apart or so with the center channel centered between them of course. I was thinking that at a listening position 16' from the TV I could afford to have the front channels farther apart without doing any damage to SQ right? With the 70" TV being a good deal bigger it doesn't seem realistic to keep the speakers in their current locations... so I feel moving them both farther away from the TV is the way to go. Based on this limited information, how far apart do you think the fronts should be? I don't want them to get so far apart that they begin to seem like side channels if that makes sense... thanks everyone!
post #4 of 14


22 to 30 degrees.

Craig
LL
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies guys.

Craig John - I've been running my fronts way too close together it seems for years... probably about 10 degrees to either side. If I weren't able to fall quite into the 22-30 degree range, but could do about 35 think that would sound better than my current 10 degrees? I feel like they currently are way too close to the center channel which makes for a very small sound stage.
post #6 of 14
The 22 to 30 degree recommendation comes from the likes of Dolby, DTS, THX, etc. Can you move the seating closer to the display?
post #7 of 14
Actually THX recommendation is 45 degrees. I prefer a bit more separation between center and fronts myself, and at 16' the wider soundstage might be appreciated. However, at 16' its going to be difficult getting enough spread between fronts to reach a 45' angle (16' in fact). I'd just play around with it until you're happy.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Actually THX recommendation is 45 degrees. I prefer a bit more separation between center and fronts myself, and at 16' the wider soundstage might be appreciated. However, at 16' its going to be difficult getting enough spread between fronts to reach a 45' angle (16' in fact). I'd just play around with it until you're happy.

They recommend 45 degrees as viewed from the main listening position. IOW, each speaker would be at 22.5 degrees from the centerline, which is in line with what Dolby and DTS recommend.

Craig
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post


They recommend 45 degrees as viewed from the main listening position. IOW, each speaker would be at 22.5 degrees from the centerline, which is in line with what Dolby and DTS recommend.

Craig

THX recomendation assumes that ALL front speakers are within width of the screen in case of 16/9 format. That is why in case of 2.35/1 it is recommended to have another "front wide" pair. Both of these assumptions are irrelevant in case of TV viewing in typical living room, where 30 degrees from center to left and right speakers are a good option. It will also work well for music listening in stereo.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Actually THX recommendation is 45 degrees. I prefer a bit more separation between center and fronts myself, and at 16' the wider soundstage might be appreciated. However, at 16' its going to be difficult getting enough spread between fronts to reach a 45' angle (16' in fact). I'd just play around with it until you're happy.

Really 45? I could put them at 45, but that would essentially put them at the half way point between my center channel and side surrounds... wouldn't that make them sound a bit too far to the sides? Hummmm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

Really 45? I could put them at 45, but that would essentially put them at the half way point between my center channel and side surrounds... wouldn't that make them sound a bit too far to the sides? Hummmm

No, read Craig's reply a few posts up.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Gotcha. That makes more sense.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

THX recomendation assumes that ALL front speakers are within width of the screen in case of 16/9 format. That is why in case of 2.35/1 it is recommended to have another "front wide" pair. Both of these assumptions are irrelevant in case of TV viewing in typical living room, where 30 degrees from center to left and right speakers are a good option. It will also work well for music listening in stereo.

THX doesn't make reference to screen size or aspect ratio. Here's what they say:



Quote:


Front Left & Right Speakers (L & R): Place the Front Left and Right speakers at ear height, producing a 45° angle as viewed from the main seat. This delivers a wide sound stage and precise localization of individual sounds.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/

Craig
post #14 of 14
Definitely less than distance from drivers to ear!

I have just been dealing with the "hole in the middle"
effect after my HT remodel. S8s got to sit 130" apart
and 109" from ears, not a pretty 2 channel experience.

Moving them 100" apart made a world of difference. Oh
yes, the C5 works well, but i only watch movies about
50% of time, and wouldn't want to miss out on those 2 ch
SACDs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Front Speaker Placement