or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Aliens: Colonial Marines
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aliens: Colonial Marines

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Everything shown thus far indicates that this will be a spectacular game. The environments and weaponry look dead-on.

New video:

post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Everything shown thus far indicates that this will be a spectacular game.

With those things runnin' around? You can count me out!
post #3 of 28
The environment has been done to death blah, I'm sick of close quarter space shooters. It looks like it was done very well though. I'm personally not a huge fan of shooting aliens and crap like that, I like killing people. This one will be a pass form me.
Though I can see tons of people loving this style of game.
post #4 of 28
HooRah!

Jason
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

The environment has been done to death blah, I'm sick of close quarter space shooters. It looks like it was done very well though. I'm personally not a huge fan of shooting aliens and crap like that, I like killing people. This one will be a pass form me.
Though I can see tons of people loving this style of game.

I'd buy you ten copies of this game if I could afford to do so.
post #6 of 28
I thought the last Aliens vs Predator was pretty good, but the graphics on this look like they will take it up another notch. These games always have me on edge, and I can't stand the little alien radar detector beeping in the background in a dark tunnel! Ah!!!! I'm in for this game.
post #7 of 28
I just want you all to know I'll be playing it tomorrow at Pax East! :-p
post #8 of 28
Hopefully this game can correct for the curse of all the earlier Aliens games: Forcing players to be the Aliens and the Predators when all most folks want is to tear-ass around a nice LONG campaign as a Colonial Marine against hoards of Aliens. Like, you know, the freakin MOVIES these games are all based on.

The Predator mechanics have almost universally sucked in every game released, and don't get me started on the Alien portions. No, I don't want to be crawling walls and becoming hopelessly disoriented every time I run into a wall, and my two attacks are "tail whip" and "claw at face".......let the Aliens be the fodder they deserve to be, not playable characters that have their own campaign which means the Colonial Marines portion gets gimped.

If you have a game where you have to play as the Alien or the Predator, they should be designed as 3rd person...not first person shooters.....because the weapons and attacks do not lend themselves to 1st person. Honestly, even in the last game they released...if they had made the game Gears-ish or standard 3rd personish, I think they would have done a LOT, lot better.

The more your attacks are centered around MELEE (aliens, and to a large extent the predator)......its gotta be 3rd person.
post #9 of 28
It's named Colonial Marines because you play as a Marine vs. the Aliens the entire game.
post #10 of 28
This is one game that may be hard to play in 3D. I played through AvP in 2D and loaded it back up in 3D recently. There were some 3D rendering anomolies which didn't make it look great, but i could have played through more im sure, but i stopped because...seeing aliens and that dark environment in 3D is just too damn stressful. Its 3D or nothing these days, so i'll definitely be playing this in 3D. Looks really good.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I'd buy you ten copies of this game if I could afford to do so.

DECENT!~ lol
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

It's named Colonial Marines because you play as a Marine vs. the Aliens the entire game.

I don't believe that fact was ever in dispute.
post #13 of 28
In that video, don't they indicate you can play as an alien? Maybe thats multiplayer.
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

In that video, don't they indicate you can play as an alien? Maybe thats multiplayer.

Yes, you can play as aliens in the multiplayer portion of the game.

As for single-player enemies, there will be humans to shoot at as well. So, the misanthrope in us all can still be satisfied.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Yes, you can play as aliens in the multiplayer portion of the game.

As for single-player enemies, there will be humans to shoot at as well. So, the misanthrope in us all can still be satisfied.

I think the fundamental flaw of all the aliens games so far, from a Marines perspective, has been this: You're always on some brown-assed world, rummaging through "abandoned bases" that aren't really spooky when you are on your 5th or 6th game of abandoned bases, and you know that every open grate is going to have an alien come busting out of it. Just one. Maybe two.

If you see a scene where there are 3, 4, 5 aliens attacking you, guaranteed your movement options will be limited, so you just dancce around trying not to get pounced-on and spray and pray.

Now after like 6 games...that gets a little stale.

3rd person power loader - Should be a must-have.

Multiple paths should be a must have, not just one way through everything.

The ability to be attacked by WAVES of aliens while backtracking and closing doors to slow them down

And ideally a squad you could reposition, with simple commands, and if you let them die your ability to complete the level should be *almost* but not completely impossible.

It would also be nice to not just hunt Aliens....lets face it.....they don't shoot back, they pounce....give us some other enemies.
post #16 of 28
Just nuke them from space...
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Just nuke them from space...

This would be the ultimate April Fools game release. Colonial Marines releases on April 1st, after setting up all graphical options and customizing controls, the intro cinematic plays and you are presented as a marine on the Sulaco.....you walk over to a control panel, press the button once........and nuke the site from Orbit. Its the only way to be sure. Genius!
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
Then we'll all have to pay 30 bucks for the "Space Debris Clean Up" DLC.
post #19 of 28
Thats definitely one thing i didn't like about playing as a human soldier in AvP, the gameplay was sooooooo simple. Walk around and shoot. If there there even grenades, I can't remember, I just remember that was the feeling i got. If playing as a predator, you had a million different tools at your disposal. Human? Heres your flashlight, good luck. If i had it my way, the game would be smart and difficult to battle and maybe have the game not let you quicksave at any time to up the tension, but then allow you to do all the things you'd do in real life, instinctually, like peek into a room before your entered, hide, sneak, ambush, dive away, which are important because those desires and responses are at our core. The game didn't even let you crouch.

Also, your guns sounded approximately as loud as a leaking BB-gun, very "gamey" and unconvincing, completely unimpressive.

Anyway, getting off the soapbox...
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
At least the gun sounds seem perfect in the latest videos of this game. The handgun and minigun sounds have plenty of oomph, and the pulse rifle sound is accurate.

The lack of HUD and heavy reliance on the handheld motion tracker to determine what's in the next room is a nice element.

The one thing that I really hope is done well are the boss fights. I want tough bosses, of both human and alien species, that take good strategy to beat. We should have to utilize multi-room approaches and things other than guns to take some of them down. In other words, be creative.
post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
Single-player footage:

post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Multiplayer footage:




I really like the changes in sound effects coming from the guns of other Marines. It gives a good sense of perspective. Although, the levels and types of attenuation in the occlusion effects could be much more accurate.
post #23 of 28
Hmmm that multiplayer vid looks kinda like L4D with aliens. Me gusta!
post #24 of 28
Looks like some scary fun but I hope the SP movement is not that slow (it moves much better in the MP video).

Jason
post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 
Recap video of what is known:

post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Hopefully this game can correct for the curse of all the earlier Aliens games: Forcing players to be the Aliens and the Predators when all most folks want is to tear-ass around a nice LONG campaign as a Colonial Marine against hoards of Aliens. Like, you know, the freakin MOVIES these games are all based on.

The Predator mechanics have almost universally sucked in every game released, and don't get me started on the Alien portions. No, I don't want to be crawling walls and becoming hopelessly disoriented every time I run into a wall, and my two attacks are "tail whip" and "claw at face".......let the Aliens be the fodder they deserve to be, not playable characters that have their own campaign which means the Colonial Marines portion gets gimped.

If you have a game where you have to play as the Alien or the Predator, they should be designed as 3rd person...not first person shooters.....because the weapons and attacks do not lend themselves to 1st person. Honestly, even in the last game they released...if they had made the game Gears-ish or standard 3rd personish, I think they would have done a LOT, lot better.

The more your attacks are centered around MELEE (aliens, and to a large extent the predator)......its gotta be 3rd person.



Looks like they took your advice, HeadRusch. In the video that MSmith83 posted above, they say that when you play as an alien in multiplayer, you do so from the 3rd person perspective, while the marines stay in 1st person.
post #27 of 28
played it against the multiplayer devs at PAX East this weekend.

single player looks fun, has taken ALOT from Doom.

the multiplayer the aliens are so OP, that the marines have to stick together to survive
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

played it against the multiplayer devs at PAX East this weekend.

single player looks fun, has taken ALOT from Doom.

the multiplayer the aliens are so OP, that the marines have to stick together to survive

You went to PAX East? I live in the Boston area and I didn't even go.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Aliens: Colonial Marines