or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Which receiver should I get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which receiver should I get?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I'm not looking for a 20:1 sound system since this is going in a bedroom and most all of them seem to fat and tall (deal about that later) but here is what I'm looking at so far..

Denon AVR-1312
Yamaha RX-V471
post #2 of 29
Without more information I would go with the Yamaha since it has YPAO room correction software and more features than the budget Denon unit. The minimum 2012 Denon model that most recommend is the 1612. For more advice you need to provide more information such as max budget and what features you are specifically looking for.
post #3 of 29
You may want to consider the Marantz 1402 as it is a slimline 5.1 AVR with Audyssey.

http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pa...oductid=nr1402

You can reduce the cost even more by purchasing a refurb w/2 year warranty ...

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...D-ready/1.html
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You may want to consider the Marantz 1402 as it is a slimline 5.1 AVR with Audyssey.

http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pa...oductid=nr1402

You can reduce the cost even more by purchasing a refurb w/2 year warranty ...

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...D-ready/1.html


I wish that was in my budget the most I'm willing to spend is roughly about $280-300 I'm not going to buy right away since I need to get my speakers first. The Marantz is nice but that 2nd one is the last one in stock so I'm sure it will be well gone.
post #5 of 29
Most receivers follow that 19" form factor, the only slim-lines I can think of are the Marantz already mentioned, and the Sherwood 904, which I've heard some negative things about.

What you might consider, if you haven't selected speakers, is an HTIB. Some of the Sony set-ups have very compact "receivers" (less features than a conventional AVR too), and some of the set-ups from other manufacturers (and Sony as well) have built-in disc players and whatnot, which may further reduce the footprint. Finally, Logitech used to (still does, probably; Z-5500) make a 5.1 speaker system that had a "receiver" about the size of a soda can, and it was remote controlled. Far less features than something like the Yamaha or Marantz, but compact and probably very suitable for a bedroom.
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
I'm using a logitech Z-680 now and I want to move on from it I'm going to end up putting this one in the living room, also my IR receiver in the lotgitech stopped working a few years ago.. it still can see the remote but nothing on the control pod changes so I have to get up to change the sound.

When I think of Sharewood I think of a receiver for stores and all.

About the HTiB don't they still get a bad press? My speakers will most likely be wall mounted.
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

I'm using a logitech Z-680 now and I want to move on from it I'm going to end up putting this one in the living room, also my IR receiver in the lotgitech stopped working a few years ago.. it still can see the remote but nothing on the control pod changes so I have to get up to change the sound.

When I think of Sharewood I think of a receiver for stores and all.

About the HTiB don't they still get a bad press? My speakers will most likely be wall mounted.

The Sherwood 904 specifically has gotten some bad reviews, mostly related to the video processing section as far as I'm aware, but in general their products are as fine as anyone else. Yes, it is true that HTIBs are not popular among the "elite" but if they're suitable for your space, that's what matters.

Just some options to consider if a conventional receiver isn't feasible due to size (and they're all going to be more or less similar in size, the more robust ones just get deeper, taller, and heavier).
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
It's not so much how deep it goes it's how tall it is.. from using my ruler the Yamaha would fit but it would only leave about a inch of space above it which is not much but if need be I can always end up sitting it on it's own table

the Yamaha I listed says the height is 6 inches
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

It's not so much how deep it goes it's how tall it is.. from using my ruler the Yamaha would fit but it would only leave about a inch of space above it which is not much but if need be I can always end up sitting it on it's own table

the Yamaha I listed says the height is 6 inches

Remember, you need more clearance than that for the thing to breathe. If it can stand open in the air that's much better.
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

Remember, you need more clearance than that for the thing to breathe. If it can stand open in the air that's much better.


yeah that's why I said I said I will end up sitting it on it's own table
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

yeah that's why I said I said I will end up sitting it on it's own table

If that's not a problem, I'd get the 471 and pick out your speakers and be finished with it.
post #12 of 29
neither, get the onkyo ht-rc 360 more bang for your buck. affordable, better specs, and cleaner sound
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaty View Post

neither, get the onkyo ht-rc 360 more bang for your buck. affordable, better specs, and cleaner sound

lol 7.2 sound..
post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

If that's not a problem, I'd get the 471 and pick out your speakers and be finished with it.


pretty much what I think I plan on doing I wonder if the standard banana plugs fit? I know some receivers have an issue with spacing between the plugs is not always the same.
post #15 of 29
As long as you get the single plugs vs dual plugs you should be fine.
post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
Yeah I guess that's the only option..

So I was reading the online manual yesterday and reading up on the YPAO Is it sort of like an EQ like my RTA mic for my drive rack? I saw a demo on youtube seemed to be white noise along with some other sound in the test.
post #17 of 29
^^
Yes, but unlike the Audyssey setup on the 1402, the YPAO on the 471 will only EQ the speakers, not the sub.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

I'm not looking for a 20:1 sound system since this is going in a bedroom and most all of them seem to fat and tall (deal about that later) but here is what I'm looking at so far..

Denon AVR-1312
Yamaha RX-V471

I have a really nice home theater in my living room and wanted something nice in my bedroom wich is a really big bedrrom by the way. I just decided on a Panasonic htib with wireless rear back speakers and its absolutly fine for my bedroom. I just have a bluray player and the htib/receiver/5disc dvd changer mounted in my closet.
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Yes, but unlike the Audyssey setup on the 1402, the YPAO on the 471 will only EQ the speakers, not the sub.

Seems like it's being EQ'ed here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4T6UXE3L0g
post #20 of 29
^^
Calibrating the speakers and sub to a test tone to evenly distribute the audio to each speaker/sub is not equivalent to EQing. Lower/mid level models of Pioneer, Yamaha, and Onkyo (mid level can) cannot EQ the sub.
post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks for clearing that up!
post #22 of 29
Yes, I should've added that sub EQ is not a universal feature (yet, it's been trickling down) - YPAO is better than nothing, but higher end units will have better features than the YPAO on the 471 (and not all YPAO is the same - the high end Yamaha units with YPAO can do the sub(s)).

For what you're doing, I wouldn't lose sleep over the lack of sub EQ if the 471 fits into your budget.
post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 
Small question about the speakers.. if this gives out 105W x 5 how concerned should I be on the RMS rating of the speakers? Like 50 W RMS is pretty low right?
post #24 of 29
^^
Not a big deal as long as you're not blasting the speakers ... average power draw for most speakers is <5W/CH.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

Small question about the speakers.. if this gives out 105W x 5 how concerned should I be on the RMS rating of the speakers? Like 50 W RMS is pretty low right?

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being most concerned, I'd say about a -3.

Being completely honest. Ignore that we don't trust power ratings, will never see ACD, will never see more than 1-2W/ch real world, and so on. And even with all of that out of the way, it's not really a big problem. And there is no RMS.
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Ok that's good it's rare to turn my current sound up more then half way anyways.
post #27 of 29
I'm into higher end audio stuff but I've been missing my home theater so I'm looking to get an Avr too. I need a basic set up for now

I did some research and I'm getting the soon to be released Yamaha RX-473. It has everything you need in a 5.1 receiver. A few great features I was impressed by is Hdmi pass through when the receiver is off, the ability to turn be powered on when you turn the tv on and especially AirPlay which lets me play my music from iPhone iPad and iPod wirelessly through wifi. These features have now trickled down to a less expensive Avr thanks to Yamaha
post #28 of 29
Sub eq is nowhere near as important as some on here would have you believe. Having a good sub with a flat frequency responce is much more important than sub eq. Typically a well made sub doesn't even need eq, it will be tuned for a flat response. Subs that do need eq can produce negative effects after being eq'ed, due to the parametric application trying to force the sub to produce a signal its not capable of producing without distortion.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

Sub eq is nowhere near as important as some on here would have you believe. Having a good sub with a flat frequency responce is much more important than sub eq. Typically a well made sub doesn't even need eq, it will be tuned for a flat response. Subs that do need eq can produce negative effects after being eq'ed, due to the parametric application trying to force the sub to produce a signal its not capable of producing without distortion.

Don't forget in room response for that sub...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Which receiver should I get?