or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Future of HTPC: Windows 7 or Windows 8 ???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Future of HTPC: Windows 7 or Windows 8 ???

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
What you guys think?

A year from now... will people still be building on Windows 7?

Or will Windows 8 have taken over?
post #2 of 18
People still use windows xp, yes
post #3 of 18
Operating systems are irrelevant...there's nothing that Win 8 can do that Win 7, Vista, XP or Linux can't do just as well. The only reason for new versions is to increase revenue so that Bill Gates doesn't have to drive a Hyundai.
post #4 of 18
I still use XP and have absolutely no intentions of upgrading. I've customized the hell out of it & everything works the way I want. For my needs, an OS upgrade is non-issue.
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyken View Post

Operating systems are irrelevant...there's nothing that Win 8 can do that Win 7, Vista, XP or Linux can't do just as well. The only reason for new versions is to increase revenue so that Bill Gates doesn't have to drive a Hyundai.

Try using the Metro interface and the Windows 8 app store on an OS other than Windows 8! Moreover, Windows 8 has some performance improvements over Windows 7 such as significantly increased boot times. It's up to the consumer to decide whether these features and improvements justify the cost of an upgrade. Although eventually, older versions of Windows become unavailable so you have no other choice but to purchase the latest version.
post #6 of 18
I'm staying with Windows 7.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
I am still undecided. I am sure at some point I will switch.

Anyone know how much faster windows 8 boot time is?
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I am still undecided. I am sure at some point I will switch.

Anyone know how much faster windows 8 boot time is?

Really? Boot time? Are some of you seriously touting this as the major improvement for HTPC? Outside of a Windows update I can't remember the last time I rebooted my HTPC.

I already can boot in about 15-25 seconds with a SSD. Not really seeing the real need here as far as boot time goes.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What you guys think?

A year from now... will people still be building on Windows 7?

Or will Windows 8 have taken over?

XPsp3 will still be used in the workplace, especially government workplaces like mine, and 7 will still be the main OS. 8 is going to end up being how ME was when it came out. People quickly went back to 98se, or waited to get XP when it came out. Those that didn't went with Win2k.

Even when 9 comes out, which is going to be a blow like 8, but embed more always connected by not really being an OS but a browser with Apps like Google Chrome OS, which is the rumor, those like me will continue to use Linux on stuff like netbooks and laptops, Android on tablets, and as for desktops, stick with Win7 until the machine dies, or get tired of the crap MS software and go to either iOS or Linux.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I am still undecided. I am sure at some point I will switch.

Anyone know how much faster windows 8 boot time is?

It is only as fast as the machine and the drive that it is on.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

XPsp3 will still be used in the workplace, especially government workplaces like mine, and 7 will still be the main OS. 8 is going to end up being how ME was when it came out. People quickly went back to 98se, or waited to get XP when it came out. Those that didn't went with Win2k.

Even when 9 comes out, which is going to be a blow like 8, but embed more always connected by not really being an OS but a browser with Apps like Google Chrome OS, which is the rumor, those like me will continue to use Linux on stuff like netbooks and laptops, Android on tablets, and as for desktops, stick with Win7 until the machine dies, or get tired of the crap MS software and go to either iOS or Linux.

I just don't get the ME comparisons. Yeah, I realize Microsoft has this history of every other OS sucking, but people don't realize that Windows 8 is almost identical to Windows 7 underneath. That means that Windows 8 will probably not have the huge instability problems that Windows ME had. Windows 8 is basically just Windows 7 with a GUI change (really just the start menu), a few performance improvements like increased boot times, and some added features like Storage Spaces and File History. Windows 8 will also come shipped with Microsoft's excellent antivirus software, which is a HUGE improvement (think of all your family members that don't have antivirus software on their computers).

The great thing about Windows 8 for HTPC users is that the most fundamental part of the UI, the start menu, is now usable with a remote control from 10 feet away. Have you had your HTPC software like XBMC crash, sending you to your desktop, forcing you to get out the mouse (unless you had the program linked to a button on your remote)? Now it's not a big deal at all. You just activate the start menu, and navigate with your remote to whatever application you were using. Do you use multiple applications with your HTPC? Super easy with Windows 8! Moreover, many of the Windows 8 apps will work well with HTPCs meaning we basically have a mainstream app store now.
post #12 of 18
If the next generation of monitors/TVs all support touch screen, then Windows 8 is probably sure win, otherwise I don't see how it can outshine Windows 7.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

If the next generation of monitors/TVs all support touch screen, then Windows 8 is probably sure win, otherwise I don't see how it can outshine Windows 7.

Again, there are really no drawbacks to Windows 8 compared to Windows 7. Plus, after a while, you will HAVE to use it once Microsoft stops shipping Windows 7. So I really don't get how it won't be a 'win.' I can understand if people didn't want to upgrade, but all new builds will eventually be on Win 8.
post #14 of 18
lockdown571, I would not go as far as stating that Vista sucked. Yes it was a testbed for features that were going into 7, but overall, Vista/7/8 are pretty much all the same underneath. Just minor changes.

As for MSE being excellent, it is okay, but not something that I would write home about. It is lacking in a few areas.
post #15 of 18
I don't know if I'll be switching over to windows 8 right away because windows 7 has been working so well but windows 8 looks ready made for the HTPC and has vast potential. Especially once all the 3rd parties start working with the OS.

Of course if I wanted to pay inflated prices for zero choice and zero customizability then I'd switch to iOS.
post #16 of 18
Personally, the most important element to my HTPC is software stability & simplicity. An upgrade to the OS is surely to upset this. I'm not saying I don't like to tinker, but if it ain't broke...
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Try using the Metro interface and the Windows 8 app store on an OS other than Windows 8! Moreover, Windows 8 has some performance improvements over Windows 7 such as significantly increased boot times. It's up to the consumer to decide whether these features and improvements justify the cost of an upgrade. Although eventually, older versions of Windows become unavailable so you have no other choice but to purchase the latest version.

There no reason we couldn't be on XP SP8. The Metro interface is nothing more than a menu system and could just as well be an XP overlay. As for the "App Store"...who cares...we're watching video. We have an application we run such as XBMC, Boxee, MediaPortal, WMC...we don't need other apps.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

lockdown571, I would not go as far as stating that Vista sucked. Yes it was a testbed for features that were going into 7, but overall, Vista/7/8 are pretty much all the same underneath. Just minor changes.

As for MSE being excellent, it is okay, but not something that I would write home about. It is lacking in a few areas.

That's the problem, it was a testbed. When Vista first came out if was unstable, there weren't drivers available for many of your components, it was more resource intensive, and the technical advancements weren't apparent to the consumer. As for MSE, I never said it was the best anti-virus. However, it's infinitely better than no antivirus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyken View Post

There no reason we couldn't be on XP SP8. The Metro interface is nothing more than a menu system and could just as well be an XP overlay. As for the "App Store"...who cares...we're watching video. We have an application we run such as XBMC, Boxee, MediaPortal, WMC...we don't need other apps.

You're ignoring a whole host of advancements made since XP. What if I want to play Battlefield 3 on my HTPC? Good luck doing that on DX9. And heaven forbid Microsoft charge consumers for their billion of dollars of R&D. And who are you decide what applications people need? The average consumer cares more about Angry Birds than some fancy XBMC plugin. Windows 8 will offer a massive amount of commercial applications that just aren't available in XBMC, WMC, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Future of HTPC: Windows 7 or Windows 8 ???