or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 NHL Playoffs - TV Coverage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 NHL Playoffs - TV Coverage

post #1 of 165
Thread Starter 
US

From NBC Sports
Quote:


Every Stanley Cup Playoff game to be televised nationally for first time

NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC and NHL Network to carry games

NBC & NBC Sports Network to provide Stanley Cup Final coverage for 7th straight year

NBC Sports Group exclusivity begins with Conference Semifinals

For the first time in the 95-year history of the NHL, every Stanley Cup Playoff game will be televised nationally. The NBC Sports Group will provide unprecedented access to the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs in April, May and June, televising as many as 105 playoff games and possibly more than 262.5 hours of programming. Games will be presented on NBC, the NBC Sports Network, the NHL Network, and NBCUniversal’s business channel CNBC in primetime.

The playoffs begin on Wednesday, April 11. A Conference Quarterfinal television schedule will be released Sunday or Monday following the conclusion of the 2011-12 regular season.

Below is a round-by-round preview of this year’s playoff coverage.

CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS

For the first time in league history, every first-round playoff game will be televised on a national platform. In order to televise as many as four games on a given day/night, the NBC Sports Group will utilize NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC and the NHL Network to carry Conference Quarterfinal games.

The NBC Sports Network will be the primary home of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, offering coverage of one or two games virtually every night of the first round. CNBC and the NHL Network will also provide live event coverage in primetime. NBC will present exclusive afternoon coverage during the weekends of April 14-15 and April 21-22. Games airing on NBC Sports Network, CNBC and the NHL Network will be subject to local blackouts in the first round.

CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS

The NBC Sports Group’s Stanley Cup Playoff exclusivity begins with the Conference Semifinal round for the first time. Beginning in the second round and continuing through the Stanley Cup Final, all games will air exclusively on either NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC or the NHL Network.

The NBC Sports Network will serve as the primary home for Conference Semifinal coverage, offering one or two games virtually every night of the second round. CNBC and the NHL Network will again provide live event coverage in primetime, although more infrequently than in the first round. NBC will present exclusive afternoon coverage during the weekends of April 28-29 and May 5-6.

CONFERENCE FINALS

NBC and the NBC Sports Network will team to provide exclusive coverage of the Conference Finals. NBC will broadcast a game each day on the weekend of May 19-20. The remaining games from both the Eastern and Western Conference Finals will be televised exclusively on the NBC Sports Network.

STANLEY CUP FINAL

For the seventh consecutive year, NBC and the NBC Sports Network will provide exclusive coverage of the Stanley Cup Final. NBC will broadcast Games 1-2 and Games 5-7 (if necessary), with NBC Sports Network televising Games 3-4.

PRE-GAME & POST-GAME COVERAGE

NHL Live, NBC Sports Network’s NHL pre-game show, will air every game night at 6:30 p.m. ET. NHL Post-Game will air a 30-minute program following the conclusion of game coverage every night of the playoffs.

2012 NHL Stanley Cup Quarterfinals Schedule: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=626625
post #2 of 165
Thread Starter 
Canada

From Various Sources, including Wiki:

CBC has extensive Stanley Cup Playoff coverage, including games from four different series in the first round, two series in the second round, one of the Conference Finals series, and exclusive coverage of the Stanley Cup Finals. As would be expected, CBC will always choose series with Canadian teams when possible.

TSN/TSN2 shares Stanley Cup Playoff coverage, with third, fifth, seventh, and eighth choices of first-round series, second and fourth in the second round, and second in the Conference Finals. This allows the possibility of a series with a Canadian team at some point during the playoffs, including the first round. CBC and TSN can swap Stanley Cup Playoff games for scheduling reasons, as they have done in recent seasons.
post #3 of 165
Thread Starter 
From the NHL

Quote:


Hockey fans can tune into the NHL Network on Sunday (April 8th) at 1 p.m. ET as the League unveils the schedule for the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The show also will be streamed on NHL.com and will be available on the NHL Network in Canada.
post #4 of 165
Now the question is if the NHL Network turns off their annoying score bar and removes the giant NHL Live bug on the top right from the playoff games they broadcast.
post #5 of 165
Probably will leave them and then add a new "Because it's the Cup" bug, because clearly there isn't enough crap on the screen yet.
post #6 of 165
Is it my Charter or is it NBC Sports Network? The last few games I've watched have had the surround channels way too loud. The sounds from the ice really over powered the center voice channel. The commercials were fine so I'm guessing it's NBC Sports Network.
Any body else?

Go Blues!
post #7 of 165
I love that all games nationally televised, but anyone know if they have a plan in place for those out of market when the early game goes long?

For example, Monday April 16, BOS at WSH at 7:30pm ET on NBCSN and then STL at SJ at 10:00pm ET on NBCSN.

What if BOS/WSH goes long? (NHL games never finish in 2.5 hours like allotted) I'm sure in STL and SJ (i.e., in market) they won't miss the opening faceoff, but what about those out of market? If they aren't giving us STL/SJ, even on an alternate nationwide, then this whole "Every game nationally televised" deal rings hollow. I have yet to see them say that out of market, you'll see every second of NHL playoff action, if you so desire. And no, I don't think telling people to go watch online on their streaming feed (if that is their contingency plan) is sufficient when they claim every game will be televised nationally. If they really wanted to make sure everyone who wanted to would see every second, one of these games on Monday, for example, would be on NHL Network or CNBC. Hopefully the contingency plan is throwing the late game to CNBC or NHL Network or alternate.

Anyone know the deal?? Thanks!


GO SHARKS!!!!!
post #8 of 165
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Anyone know the deal??

We'll know tomorrow, and the answer will be posted here.
post #9 of 165
Am I correct in the teams local markets that for round 1 the regional sports networks have exclusive game coverage and the NBCSN, CNBC, and NHL Network broadcasts will be blacked out?
Is it the same for round 2 or does NBCSN do all coverage then?
post #10 of 165
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Am I correct in the teams local markets that for round 1 the regional sports networks have exclusive game coverage and the NBCSN, CNBC, and NHL Network broadcasts will be blacked out?

Yes, to an extent. If a game is on the weekend and NBC is airing it, then the local RSN will not have it. Conversely, games airing on NBC Sports Network, CNBC and the NHL Network are subject to blackouts in the first round in favor of the local RSN.

An exception is CBC coverage, which is available to viewers in the Detroit and Seattle TV markets via OTA and on various US cableco's (and a few other border locations in the US), which to my knowledge is never blacked out for any local US market. If your a hockey fan and have never seen CBC coverage of the NHL, you haven't lived yet; I think it's great. Having grown up with it, I may be slightly biased....

Quote:


Is it the same for round 2 or does NBCSN do all coverage then?

All TV coverage after the first round will be on NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC, and NHL Network.
post #11 of 165
Is NHL.com GameCenter going to have streaming of games that are covered on the various NBC networks? During the regular season, they blacked out streaming for these games. Without satellite or cable, I'm screwed if they do this.
post #12 of 165
The NHL is streaming all the NBC Sports games free only to Verizon Wireless customers on the GameCenter app. Not sure if that includes the NBC Sports Network.
post #13 of 165
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtchem View Post

Is NHL.com GameCenter going to have streaming of games that are covered on the various NBC networks? During the regular season, they blacked out streaming for these games. Without satellite or cable, I'm screwed if they do this.

I haven't seen anything yet regarding streaming Playoff games. Since the NBC press release prominently mentions NHL Network, I'd think if NHL.com was offering games on line it would have been there somewhere. Without a pay provider, all you would get are NBC games on the weekend and NBC games 1,2,5,6,7 of the Finals.
post #14 of 165
Looks like a lot of time in sports bars then. Oh well.
post #15 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Yes, to an extent. If a game is on the weekend and NBC is airing it, then the local RSN will not have it. Conversely, games airing on NBC Sports Network, CNBC and the NHL Network are subject to blackouts in the first round in favor of the local RSN.


Apparently this does not apply to the NBC Sports Network. MSG will be televising every first round game, even the weekend games that are also televised on NBCSN.
post #16 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Now the question is if the NHL Network turns off their annoying score bar and removes the giant NHL Live bug on the top right from the playoff games they broadcast.

Highly unlikely.
post #17 of 165
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post

Apparently this does not apply to the NBC Sports Network. MSG will be televising every first round game, even the weekend games that are also televised on NBCSN.

Please read my post again.

If a game is on the weekend and NBC is airing it, then the local RSN will not have it. Conversely, games airing on NBC Sports Network, CNBC and the NHL Network are subject to blackouts in the first round in favor of the local RSN.

None of the Rangers vs. Ottawa or Devils vs. Florida series are on NBC, so all of those games will be on MSG.
post #18 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Yes, it does. Please read my post again.

If a game is on the weekend and NBC is airing it, then the local RSN will not have it. Conversely, games airing on NBC Sports Network, CNBC and the NHL Network are subject to blackouts in the first round in favor of the local RSN.

Sorry, I misread that post.
post #19 of 165
NBCSN has an alternate channel that is available on D* 604/604-1. Last year, for games that were exclusive to Versus, the home markets were switched to their own game, while the rest of the country got the early game until it was completed, then the late game JIP. IIRC, U-verse carried the alternate channel as well, but with their current carriage dispute with NHL Network (which is part-owned by Comcast), who knows what happens there.

Here is the game schedule:

Wednesday, April 11
7:30 ET
Flyers @ Penguins - Game 1 - NBCSN, TSN, CSNP, RSP

8:00 ET
Red Wings @ Predators - Game 1 - CNBC, CBC, FSD, SS

10:30 ET
Kings @ Canucks - Game 1 - NBCSN, CBC, KCOP


Thursday, April 12
7:00 ET
Senators @ Rangers - Game 1 - NHLN, CBC, MSG

7:30 ET
Capitals @ Bruins - Game 1 - NBCSN, CBC, CSNMA, NESN
Sharks @ Blues - Game 1 - CNBC, TSN, CSNCA, FSMW

10:00 ET
Blackhawks @ Coyotes - Game 1 - NBCSN, TSN, CSNC, FSAZ


Friday, April 13
7:00 ET
Devils @ Panthers - Game 1 - NHLN, TSN, MSG+, FSF

7:30 ET
Flyers @ Penguins - Game 2 - NBCSN, TSN, CSNP, RSP
Red Wings @ Predators - Game 2 - CNBC, CBC, FSD, SS

10:00 ET
Kings @ Canucks - Game 2 - NBCSN, CBC. KCOP


Saturday, April 14
3:00 ET
Capitals @ Bruins - Game 2 - NBC, CBC

7:00 ET
Senators @ Rangers - Game 2 - NBCSN, CBC, MSG

7:30 ET
Sharks @ Blues - Game 2 - CNBC, TSN, CSNCA, FSMW

10:00 ET
Blackhawks @ Coyotes - Game 2 - NBCSN, TSN, CSNC, FSAZ


Sunday, April 15
Noon ET
Predators @ Red Wings - Game 3 - NBC, CBC

3:00 ET
Penguins @ Flyers - Game 3 - NBC, TSN

7:30 ET
Devils @ Panthers - Game 2 - NBCSN, TSN, MSG+, (none)

10:30 ET
Canucks @ Kings - Game 3 - NBCSN, CBC, FSW


Monday, April 16
7:30 ET
Rangers @ Senators - Game 3 - CNBC, CBC, MSG
Bruins @ Capitals - Game 3 - NBCSN, CBC, NESN, CSNMA

10:00 ET
Blues @ Sharks - Game 3 - NBCSN, TSN, FSMW, CSNCA


Tuesday, April 17
7:00 ET
Panthers @ Devils - Game 3 - NHLN, TSN, SUN, MSG+

7:30 ET
Predators @ Red Wings - Game 4 - NBCSN, CBC, SS, FSD

9:00 ET
Coyotes @ Blackhawks - Game 3 - CNBC, TSN, FSAZ, CSNC


Wednesday, April 18
7:30 ET
Rangers @ Senators - Game 4 - CNBC, CBC, MSG
Penguins @ Flyers - Game 4 - NBCSN, TSN, CSNP, RSP

10:00 ET
Canucks @ Kings - Game 4 - NBCSN, CBC, (none)


Thursday, April 19
7:00 ET
Panthers @ Devils - Game 4 - NHLN, TSN, FSF, MSG+

7:30 ET
Bruins @ Capitals - Game 4 - NBCSN, CBC, NESN, CSNMA

8:00 ET
Coyotes @ Blackhawks - Game 4 - CNBC, TSN, FSAZ, CSNC

10:30 ET
Blues @ Sharks - Game 4 - NBCSN, TSN, FSMW, CSNCA


Friday, April 20
7:30 ET
Flyers @ Penguins - Game 5* - NBCSN, TSN, CSNP, RSP

8:00 ET
Red Wings @ Predators - Game 5* - CNBC, CBC, FSD, SS


Saturday, April 21
3:00 ET
Capitals @ Bruins - Game 5* - NBC, CBC

6:30 ET
Devils @ Panthers - Game 5* - NHLN, TSN, MSG+, TBD

7:00 ET
Senators @ Rangers - Game 5* - NBCSN, CBC, MSG

7:30 ET
Sharks @ Blues - Game 5* - CNBC, TSN, CSNCA, FSMW

10:00 ET
Blackhawks @ Coyotes - Game 5* - NBCSN, TSN, CSNC, FSAZ


Sunday, April 22
TBD
Bruins @ Capitals - Game 6* - TBD
Penguins @ Flyers - Game 6* - TBD, CSNP
Kings @ Canucks - Game 5* - TBD, FSW
Predators @ Red Wings - Game 6* - TBD


Monday, April 23
TBD
Rangers @ Senators - Game 6* - TBD, MSG
Blues @ Sharks - Game 6* - TBD, FSMW, CSNCA
Coyotes @ Blackhawks - Game 6* - TBD, FSAZ, CSNC


Tuesday, April 24
TBD
Panthers @ Devils - Game 6* - TBD, MSG+
Flyers @ Penguins - Game 7* - TBD, CSNP
Canucks @ Kings - Game 6* - TBD, PT
Red Wings @ Predators - Game 7* - TBD

Wednesday, April 25
TBD
Capitals @ Bruins - Game 7* - TBD, NESN
Sharks @ Blues - Game 7* - TBD, CSNCA, FSMW
Blackhawks @ Coyotes - Game 7* - TBD, CSNC, FSAZ


Thursday, April 26
TBD
Senators @ Rangers - Game 7* - TBD, MSG
Devils @ Panthers - Game 7* - TBD, MSG+
Kings @ Canucks - Game 7* - TBD, FSW


* if necessary
All games on NBC in the US are exclusive. Other games in round 1 will be available on regional sports networks or local channels within the home markets, and on NBCSN, NHLN, or CNBC elsewhere.
post #20 of 165
never mind.
post #21 of 165
Bump for the schedule now being complete with RSNs through the 21st.
post #22 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

We'll know tomorrow, and the answer will be posted here.

Did we ever get an answer on this as to this year's playoffs? Thanks!

Repost of the issue. Issue concerns out of market persons seeing the entirety of any game of the NHL playoffs:

Quote:


I love that all games nationally televised, but anyone know if they have a plan in place for those out of market when the early game goes long?

For example, Monday April 16, BOS at WSH at 7:30pm ET on NBCSN and then STL at SJ at 10:00pm ET on NBCSN.

What if BOS/WSH goes long? (NHL games never finish in 2.5 hours like allotted) I'm sure in STL and SJ (i.e., in market) they won't miss the opening faceoff, but what about those out of market? If they aren't giving us STL/SJ, even on an alternate nationwide, then this whole "Every game nationally televised" deal rings hollow. I have yet to see them say that out of market, you'll see every second of NHL playoff action, if you so desire. And no, I don't think telling people to go watch online on their streaming feed (if that is their contingency plan) is sufficient when they claim every game will be televised nationally. If they really wanted to make sure everyone who wanted to would see every second, one of these games on Monday, for example, would be on NHL Network or CNBC. Hopefully the contingency plan is throwing the late game to CNBC or NHL Network or alternate.
post #23 of 165
NBC should get rid of the stupid #STANLEYCUP hash tag below the NBC logo.
It looks terrible due to the digital compression artifacts and it's simply not needed.
post #24 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

NBC should get rid of the stupid #STANLEYCUP hash tag below the NBC logo.
It looks terrible due to the digital compression artifacts and it's simply not needed.

And I was worried they were going to leave the ticker on CNBC for the Wings/Preds, haha. Thank god they took that off, they did leave a small, very transparent CNBC bug in the bottom right corner though. (still not necessary)

I'm surprised they're producing their own broadcast.
post #25 of 165
NBCSN FiOS PHI @ PIT
Main action cam has a dirt spot on the left that needs to be cleaned off.

NBC is not letterboxed and framing for 16:9 as FOX Sports and ESPN does.
CNBC and NBCSN are full screen SD.

The score bar is lower on CNBC.
post #26 of 165
Audio mix on CNBC sounds like mono upmixed to 5.1 with most of the crowd and on-ice sounds in C. NBC bug on replays overlaps the CNBC bug.
post #27 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Audio mix on CNBC sounds like mono upmixed to 5.1 with most of the crowd and on-ice sounds in C. NBC bug on replays overlaps the CNBC bug.

Yeah, what a huge difference in sound coming from Pens/Flyers on NBCSN.

Bug is completely unnecessary but I'm glad it's as transparent as it is.
post #28 of 165
The opaque NBC bug also sits on top of the clock overlay on the replays from above the net.
post #29 of 165
CNBC DET @ NSH FiOS

Same here the audio mix is not DD 5.1 on CNBC.
All sounds are in the center channel with some arena sound and a little of the announcers in the L & R front.
post #30 of 165
Is NBCSN DD 5.1 or the crap fake stuff Versus had?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 NHL Playoffs - TV Coverage