or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Anyone have an Ivy build on Z77 scheduled ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone have an Ivy build on Z77 scheduled ?

post #1 of 106
Thread Starter 
Think the new Z77 chipset offers any real advantage ?

Or Ivy ?
post #2 of 106
I prefer to be compulsive about my builds.
post #3 of 106
In regards to what? HTPC's? Not much. But as performance goes in general yes. Not huge if you already are on 1155. But they should OC pretty good.
post #4 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

In regards to what? HTPC's? Not much. But as performance goes in general yes. Not huge if you already are on 1155. But they should OC pretty good.

Acually, early reports indicate that it won't overclock as well as current chips until you get to sub-zero cooling due to poor voltage scaling. It will be pretty good for HTPC computers due to a 20% reduction in power. I personally think it's overkill and would rather wait for the next generation of ARM or Brazos chips but anybody who likes Sandy Bridge will find Ivy Bridge suitable.
post #5 of 106
Ok, I did see some mention of that but thought it was just rumors.
post #6 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I prefer to be compulsive about my builds.

Me too

At least your honest about it.

Never know when I'm gonna fire up the Egg and listen to the wife *itch about it . Hell it's almost worth the money just to see how long she can yammer on about it

However , no .... no new 77 build here either .
post #7 of 106
Thread Starter 
I have not seen many Ivy stuff recently.

I expected to see the new z77 boards by now but surprised I have not.
post #8 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I have not seen many Ivy stuff recently.

I expected to see the new z77 boards by now but surprised I have not.

As expected Intel has some of the documentation on line now but some of the links produce "page not found".

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...html?wapkw=z75

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...html?wapkw=z77

Newegg is selling Z77/75 MBs, 29 of them.

AND the least expensive one STILL has TWO Legacy PCI slots, courtesy of Biostar adding a PCIe-to-PCI bridge chip.
post #9 of 106
Thread Starter 
I have a soon to be built upcoming htcp build due in next thirty days and wondering if I should wait a couple weeks or not.
post #10 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I have a soon to be built upcoming htcp build due in next thirty days and wondering if I should wait a couple weeks or not.

No, you should not. The i3 versions of the CPU won't be available until Dec 2012.

No reason to buy a motherboard and have to rebuy a CPU in 8 months.

And the energy savings is a legitimate reason to choose Ivy if this was Dec 2012. But other wise you are talking potentially a max of 20% improvement over the Sandy which is only about 6-8 watts.

So that's not a good enough reason to upgrade from Sandy to Ivy, imo. It would take decades to recoup that cost in energy savings.

So yes to waiting if you want to wait until December or 2013 for a new build. No to upgrading from a Sandy to Ivy just for the heck of it.

That's how I view it.
post #11 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I have a soon to be built upcoming htcp build due in next thirty days and wondering if I should wait a couple weeks or not.

Some of the internet rumours I read said that Intel is trying to flush some of the inventory of existing 32 nm Sandy Bridge parts.

Perhaps the upcoming intro of the Ivy Bridge CPUs will drop prices of the existing SB CPUs and 6x series MBs.
post #12 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I prefer to be compulsive about my builds.

Or at least about my "planning" which often gets a ways ahead of my building. I'm figuring a Intel DH77DF ITX motherboard with an i5-3550S will be a great foundation for a small desktop pc.
post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post

Some of the internet rumours I read said that Intel is trying to flush some of the inventory of existing 32 nm Sandy Bridge parts.

Perhaps the upcoming intro of the Ivy Bridge CPUs will drop prices of the existing SB CPUs and 6x series MBs.

Intel is not really known to drop prices on previous cpu's when they release new ones. Maybe a tiny bit but not much at all.
post #14 of 106
Thread Starter 
Right. The price drop will be $5 or $10 per CPU if at all . Less than the impact of a good sale.

Very small relative to total cost of a computer and other parts.

Me experience tells me there is more money to be saved on other components like cases, accessories, hard drives, PSU and such.... Because there is inherently more mark up and margin in these items for retailers.
post #15 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Intel is not really known to drop prices on previous cpu's when they release new ones. Maybe a tiny bit but not much at all.

I think that at least on the last two rounds, the new versions have actually been and remained cheaper than their predecessors for comparable performance.
post #16 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Right. The price drop will be $5 or $10 per CPU if at all . Less than the impact of a good sale.

Very small relative to total cost of a computer and other parts.

Me experience tells me there is more money to be saved on other components like cases, accessories, hard drives, PSU and such.... Because there is inherently more mark up and margin in these items for retailers.

Micro Center ftw.
post #17 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Micro Center ftw.

None near me.

Do they ship free?
post #18 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

None near me.

Do they ship free?

Cpu's are in store only. They sell them at cost or even a loss sometimes(according to previous employees).

They do it to get you in the store to hopefully buy other stuff. The other day with a coupon I got an Intel 530 for $22.
post #19 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Cpu's are in store only. They sell them at cost or even a loss sometimes(according to previous employees).

They do it to get you in the store to hopefully buy other stuff. The other day with a coupon I got an Intel 530 for $22.

Where did you get the coupon?
post #20 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Where did you get the coupon?

Not sure if it still works but its $15 off anything. You could get an item for $14.99 for free. There is no minimum. Anyways may be expired but you enter your email in one of the bottom rows.

https://email.microcentermedia.com/P...EyNjA5OTI2NQU=
post #21 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Not sure if it still works but its $15 off anything. You could get an item for $14.99 for free. There is no minimum. Anyways may be expired but you enter your email in one of the bottom rows.

https://email.microcentermedia.com/P...EyNjA5OTI2NQU=

Thanks for the info. However the coupon has expired. I am on their email list & either I missed it or did not get it.
post #22 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Thanks for the info. However the coupon has expired. I am on their email list & either I missed it or did not get it.

I have a coupon. You want it?

Email me at Mfusick@aol.com or PM me your email.

I will foward you the email. It's good for any purchase. $15 off.
post #23 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Thanks for the info. However the coupon has expired. I am on their email list & either I missed it or did not get it.

What did you end up doing ?
post #24 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What did you end up doing ?

I contacted Micro Center via their "Contact Us" on their website. I politely explained the situation & was concerned that I might not be getting any other coupons either. I waited a few days & contacted them again. They replied & said never got my first message. So I replied & re-explained the situation, which was yesterday.

Maybe they'll make me an offer. If not I'll talk them in person when I go there.
post #25 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I contacted Micro Center via their "Contact Us" on their website. I politely explained the situation & was concerned that I might not be getting any other coupons either. I waited a few days & contacted them again. They replied & said never got my first message. So I replied & re-explained the situation, which was yesterday.

Maybe they'll make me an offer. If not I'll talk them in person when I go there.

I would be curious to hear how it goes down.

Otherwise- they still have a good price on CPU or you can buy it online.
post #26 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I think that at least on the last two rounds, the new versions have actually been and remained cheaper than their predecessors for comparable performance.

Your right. I see Z77 about same price a Z68


But- I can't see that much advantage to paying $10 for a Z77 board.
post #27 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Your right. I see Z77 about same price a Z68


But- I can't see that much advantage to paying $10 for a Z77 board.

Im in the process of putting together a new HTPC and I was looking at this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157293

The reason I went with Z77 board was the availability of more SATAIII connectors (4) and more USB 3.0 plugins (4). As a movie server the need for fast transfer speeds is critical, and having more than 4 internal drives is important as well. This board also has a PCIe 3.0 connection. These features make me less worried about future upgradability as well.
post #28 of 106
Dumb question but --- does Ivy fix 23.976hz playback?
post #29 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart View Post

Im in the process of putting together a new HTPC and I was looking at this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157293

The reason I went with Z77 board was the availability of more SATAIII connectors (4) and more USB 3.0 plugins (4). As a movie server the need for fast transfer speeds is critical, and having more than 4 internal drives is important as well. This board also has a PCIe 3.0 connection. These features make me less worried about future upgradability as well.

Fast transfer speeds? If you are talking about playback SataII is more than enough. Same with transferring files. A mechanical drive can't saturate SataII let alone SataIII.
post #30 of 106
Thread Starter 
James Stewart the motocross racer ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Anyone have an Ivy build on Z77 scheduled ?