or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Panasonic HDC-TM90 Alternative?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic HDC-TM90 Alternative?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
First some back story...I had my research done last April and was looking at Panasonic - HDC-TM90, in anticipation to a trip to DisneyWorld during last summer. Due to unavoidable we had to cancel the trip and thus didnt pull the trigger on the TM90. I still have a functioning Sony Digital 8 from back in 2002....but its becoming a hassle to carry/convert etc.

We are planning on planning a trip to Disney in June/July and so started looking at camcorders again. From what I see the TM90 is now discontinued and there are a few newer models like HC-V700MK and HDC-TM900K.

When I looked back last year the TM90 had similar Canons and Sonys beat by its offering at the same price point.

Since its nearly a year since I looked at the TM90, Am I better off finding a TM90 on clearence on the web or considering some of the newer offerings like:

Sony HDR-CX260V
Panasonic V500
Panasonic V700
PanasonicTM900

Thanks
post #2 of 8
Tm90 is a great camcorder, if you can get it for a good price then go ahead with it. Panasonic v500 is an upgrade for the tm90 , so it should probably have a few improvements and more features but you cannot say for sure unless the reviews are out.

If it was me, i would probably wait till camcorderinfo.com has a full fledged review for the v500, or if its urgent then i will pick up the tm90 and you might probably get a good deal now since most stores would want to clear up their stocks.

Compared to tm90, tm900 is a much better camcorder with better sensors and more pro features. X900 will be the upgrade for tm900 and it would be more or less the same.
post #3 of 8
The V700 looks more like the TM90 replacement. 28 Wide lens and 3D option. I have the TM90 and it still amazes me but if i were buying this year I would probably look at the V700.
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post

....If it was me, i would probably wait till camcorderinfo.com has a full fledged review ....

I'm not sure about those guys. Click "Type" then "Prosumer" (http://www.camcorderinfo.com/Prosumer.htm. They give the Panasonic HDC-SDT750 gets a 10.0 score. Although I own one, I can't say any reviewer should give anything a perfect score. Their system suggests it is the best of the bunch.

I do hope it is true, because it makes me look like a smart consumer when I bought for half of list price!

Bill
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

They give the Panasonic HDC-SDT750 gets a 10.0 score. Although I own one, I can't say any reviewer should give anything a perfect score. Their system suggests it is the best of the bunch.

I don't think their score is limited by 10.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

I don't think their score is limited by 10.

Judging from their bar graph icons under the score, it would appear that it is indeed based on a scale of 1-10. In any case, regarding the OP's concern, the review of the HDC-SDT750 was from October '10 and as such, the list price would obviously no longer be valid. I don't see anything wrong with a score of 10/10 if that camera truly had no significant flaws and really was the best of the bunch of the available models at the time of its release.

As with all reviews, context is important, and this is why all reviews of consumers electronics should be dated. Most reviews of the initial iPad 1 were probably also very high and assessed it as the best, but compared to the tablets of today, it obviously doesnt hold up as well.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather927 View Post

Judging from their bar graph icons under the score, it would appear that it is indeed based on a scale of 1-10. In any case, regarding the OP's concern, the review of the HDC-SDT750 was from October '10 and as such, the list price would obviously no longer be valid. I don't see anything wrong with a score of 10/10 if that camera truly had no significant flaws and really was the best of the bunch of the available models at the time of its release.

As with all reviews, context is important, and this is why all reviews of consumers electronics should be dated. Most reviews of the initial iPad 1 were probably also very high and assessed it as the best, but compared to the tablets of today, it obviously doesnt hold up as well.

I think 10 is the best of the bunch not free of all flaws. Plus remember you are getting the 3D lens too...so best bang for the buck. That's how I see it.
post #8 of 8
Kind of surprised the two reviews on Amazon say lens flare is a problem on the new v700. SD90/TM90 don't have this problem. I never feel I needed a lens hood for my TM90 while outside. Even when facing towards the sun.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Panasonic HDC-TM90 Alternative?