or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › In shambles over 2011 Samsung LED! Advice needed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In shambles over 2011 Samsung LED! Advice needed.

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I am a not so proud owner of a Samsung UN55D6000 that I got for a "Great" deal of $1098 at sam's club in late november 2011. Long story short I have taken this panel back and forth several times because flashlighting and viewing angle. I finally got one with "minimal" flashlighting but still not acceptable.

I have until mid to late may to return this panel. The viewing angle on this thing is absolute GARBAGE. My parent's 2008 52" CCFL Samsung looks good at all angles. Unless you are almost dead center of this tv the pictures is completely washed out and even gives people's skin a reddish tint.

My next complaint is that even in Game Mode, this tv still has input lag when playing Call of Duty: MW3. Maybe this lag is just inherit in all LED tvs these days...

I would love to have some advice on whether or not I should exchange this thing and what for. I will only purchase a TV from Sam's Club or Walmart due to their lengthy return policy. Considering the issues I have had, 30 days from best buy would not be long enough. Not to mention the *******s who inspect the thing when your return it.

During mid february I picked up a Sony 55NX720 for 1499 from sears but returned it because of poor sound quality and being scared of having an issues after the 30 day return policy. Oh how much I regret that decision... The off angle viewing was MUCH better, ZERO flashlighting, and no noticeable lag in game mode.

So my question is what should I exchange this for? The new ES6100 by Samsung? Another Sony? Except Sam's Club offers no Sony and Walmart only offers the EX620 which I heard is as awful as the D6000.

Or maybe a Sharp? I have heard Sharp performs well in Game mode as well. And I know some might suggest Plasma but would like to steer clear of that technology. Sam's and Walmart also do not offer any good plasmas.

Sorry for ranting I just wanted people to know my issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dane
post #2 of 21
Get one of those new LGs. They use an IPS panels which have a much better viewing angle than Sony or Sammy panels, plus the IPS panels have faster response times which leads to virtually plasma like motion so its better for gaming. Not sure what your budget is but the 55" LG LM7600 which is getting good reviews is $2K on amazon + they look sexy as hell!
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply! I am definitely interested in these LGs! Unfortunately neither WalMart or Sam's has them in stock yet. Hope to see them soon! My budget is more around 1000-1500.
post #4 of 21
Sorry for the tough love but go back to the Sony (there are ways around the sound issues) and learn to live with a 30 day return policy. You seem to be knowledgeable and able to describe what you want in extreme detail...why should it take more than 30 days to figure it out? Or do you intend to flip the TV every 6 months?
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Sorry for the tough love but go back to the Sony (there are ways around the sound issues) and learn to live with a 30 day return policy. You seem to be knowledgeable and able to describe what you want in extreme detail...why should it take more than 30 days to figure it out? Or do you intend to flip the TV every 6 months?

I agree with you. Unfortunately I do not believe sears has anymore in stock... I will double check tomorrow though. I would like to not flip the tv every few months, but might have to now until the new Sonys drop in price I would even consider the EX620 if Walmart has any left in stock just for the better viewing angle.

I used to believe Samsung made the best TV out there... Unfortunately it seems they have dropped the ball when switching to LED edge lit.
post #6 of 21
Good luck. I own the the 60 inch NX720 and I think it provides good bang for the buck (especially if you aren't really into 3D). But the sound DOES suck. I run it through my receiver.
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Looks like sears still has the one I returned for sale.. Probably wont pick it up used like that. It looks like the ex620 will be my only sony option right now unless sam's or walmart gets some new models. I hear the 2012 sony ex640 has terrible uniformity issues which is sad to hear and the hx750 is out of my price range.
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post


I agree with you. Unfortunately I do not believe sears has anymore in stock... I will double check tomorrow though. I would like to not flip the tv every few months, but might have to now until the new Sonys drop in price I would even consider the EX620 if Walmart has any left in stock just for the better viewing angle.

I used to believe Samsung made the best TV out there... Unfortunately it seems they have dropped the ball when switching to LED edge lit.

Sonys aren't going to drop in price anytime soon. They installed uniform pricing (similar to apple's pricing policy) across all retailers April 1st. Basically all Sony TVs will now be sold at or close to MSRP. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 55 hx929 for $2300 on amazon, they shot up to $3600 literally overnight.

Why not try Costco? I saw they got new Sharps and Sammys, maybe give a 2012 one a whirl, return policy is amazing.
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Looks like sears still has the one I returned for sale.. Probably wont pick it up used like that. It looks like the ex620 will be my only sony option right now unless sam's or walmart gets some new models. I hear the 2012 sony ex640 has terrible uniformity issues which is sad to hear and the hx750 is out of my price range.

I have been looking at the EX640 at HHGregg and Bestbuy and have not seen any major uniformity issues. I think you should have kept the NX720 and bought a sound bar. No LED will give you good sound quality.
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Looks like sears still has the one I returned for sale.. Probably wont pick it up used like that. It looks like the ex620 will be my only sony option right now unless sam's or walmart gets some new models. I hear the 2012 sony ex640 has terrible uniformity issues which is sad to hear and the hx750 is out of my price range.

Sorry but I still have to laugh at you being all upset that it's 'used' when you're likely the one that 'used' it. At least you'd know what you're getting with that unit and you could probably swindle them out of it unless they know to be wary of you at this point.
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeech10 View Post

Get one of those new LGs. They use an IPS panels which have a much better viewing angle than Sony or Sammy panels, plus the IPS panels have faster response times which leads to virtually plasma like motion so its better for gaming. Not sure what your budget is but the 55" LG LM7600 which is getting good reviews is $2K on amazon + they look sexy as hell!

Sorry this is wrong.

Aaron
post #12 of 21
The Sharps will provide you the quickest response time, 4ms while most others are around 8-10 ms. I was going to get a new sammy but have decide to wait on the 2012 sharp 60" 945. I currently have a sharp and even at 60 hz (its 5 years old) I dont get any lag while gaming.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

The Sharps will provide you the quickest response time, 4ms while most others are around 8-10 ms. I was going to get a new sammy but have decide to wait on the 2012 sharp 60" 945. I currently have a sharp and even at 60 hz (its 5 years old) I dont get any lag while gaming.

Hz and input lag are two different things.
post #14 of 21
Danediz, I feel your pain: I cannot Recommend Samsung

I can recommend the 2012 LG panels: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21847768
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Sorry this is wrong.

Aaron

Should have been more clear, response time is not AS fast as plasma but something like 4 or 5ms is pretty damn fast and doubt an average person will notice the difference. IPS panels have come a long way and their response times (thanks to overdrive circuits) are as fast or faster then Samsung VA panels. But input lag is based on the TVs processing power, while ghosting or trailing is the result panel response.


OP mentioned wide viewing angle and input lag as his concerns.The IPS panels will have wider viewing due to the layout of the liquid crystals, so if that's important to you, LG would be your choice. As far a input lag, that will vary TV to TV due to different processing powers, it's something that is subjective and you'll have to try in your home to see what is acceptable to you. Most of the TVs test 20-50ms input lag from what I've read.
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Your right about being silly about "used" but im not 100% sure its mine. Guess i could ask. I dont care about response time. Response time and input lag are two totally diff things. All the tvs i see are below 6ms response time but that doesnt translate to 6ms input lag. I would have to guess my sammy is 60ms in game mode and probably 100-120 in standard. I may flip my 55" for a smaller better 46" No costco close to me just Sam's. They have the 55 and 46 es6100 at sams for 1648 and 1168. Meaning the 46" is nearly 100 more than my 55 d6000. The specs are almost identical so guessing viewing issues and input lag still suck!
post #17 of 21
In the Uk at least LG sets plasma or LED - LCD do not review well with regards input lag, with some of the newer sets still in the 100ms mark. If gaming is important that is not a great number. Only way to be sure is go and test a tv with your console and see how it feels to you.

Aaron
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Your right about being silly about "used" but im not 100% sure its mine. Guess i could ask. I dont care about response time. Response time and input lag are two totally diff things. All the tvs i see are below 6ms response time but that doesnt translate to 6ms input lag. I would have to guess my sammy is 60ms in game mode and probably 100-120 in standard. I may flip my 55" for a smaller better 46" No costco close to me just Sam's. They have the 55 and 46 es6100 at sams for 1648 and 1168. Meaning the 46" is nearly 100 more than my 55 d6000. The specs are almost identical so guessing viewing issues and input lag still suck!

Being in "shambles" you are still considering another edge lit Samsung in spite of what's taken place so far? Is the plan just a perpetual state of exchange until something works?
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Being in "shambles" you are still considering another edge lit Samsung in spite of what's taken place so far? Is the plan just a perpetual state of exchange until something works?

No. And i wont exchange for another samsung edge lit if they still have issues. I am considering the Sony EX620 but do not see much info about it on these forums.
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
I cant imagine ever buying one of these LED TVs for a Sports bar where viewing angles are all over the place. Although I do not want to, I may be considering switching to Plasma but hear they have their own issues, buzzing, dimming on white scenes, having to cycle images to prevent IR etc. I might be better off with my 27" Insignia CRT from 2004
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Sorry for the tough love but go back to the Sony (there are ways around the sound issues) and learn to live with a 30 day return policy. You seem to be knowledgeable and able to describe what you want in extreme detail...why should it take more than 30 days to figure it out? Or do you intend to flip the TV every 6 months?

The most sound advise so far. Also, why not in this instance get an extended warranty. I know it's expensive but it would at least give you peace of mind - and perhaps calm you down a bit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › In shambles over 2011 Samsung LED! Advice needed.