or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Cheapest ever HTPC that's decent. Proud of myself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheapest ever HTPC that's decent. Proud of myself.

post #1 of 1016
Thread Starter 
I just did it again and ordered parts to build yet another HTPC.

I built this:

Motherboard:

2 x ($48.99) ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
$97.98 (+10% off = 44$) (Bought an extra.. lol )

2 Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G630 2.7GHz 3MB LGA1155 CPU, Retail G630BOX $61.99 Total for 2 $123.98 (also bought an extra)

1 x ($37.99) Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BD160B
$37.99 (+ extra 15% off = 32$)

1 x ($29.99) Broadway Com Corp 1243MA-BLACK Glossy black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
$29.99 (Free shipping with Newegg business code)

1 x ($17.99) LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM (Free shipping)
$17.99

x ($159.99) OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$159.99- ($-30.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE
$-30.00 - $20 mail in rebate = $109

Total cost $294 shipped.

This has to be the nicest and most capable sub $300 HTPC.

I might upgrade the case PSU and CPU at some point and use these for an office PC. Not my favorite choices but I went economy.

I was suprised I could get high end 120GB SSD performance with 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, on Asrock w decent Sandy CPU for this price. Even the LiteOn is pretty decent as far as optical drives go.



Guess I got another PC build this weekend. I think I might keep this one for a while for myself.
post #2 of 1016
What did you use for a video card?
post #3 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

What did you use for a video card?

None needed.
post #4 of 1016
Btw....heres mine:
G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory 22.99

AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6410D 69.99

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 1080P Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case 39.99

ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard 53.99

Diablotek PHD Series PHD380M 380W Micro ATX Power Supply 28.99

Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 58.99

Total: 275.00
Plus Windows 8 and XBMC = a fantastic HTPC for my needs. (though I am having windows 8 issue so using my copy of win 7 until I get it sorted)
post #5 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

None needed.

Ahhh gotcha...didnt realize the 630 had the intel graphics.
post #6 of 1016
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Btw....heres mine:
G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory 22.99

AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6410D 69.99

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 1080P Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case 39.99

ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard 53.99

Diablotek PHD Series PHD380M 380W Micro ATX Power Supply 28.99

Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 58.99

Total: 275.00
Plus Windows 8 and XBMC = a fantastic HTPC for my needs. (though I am having windows 8 issue so using my copy of win 7 until I get it sorted)

That is solid for that price. Congrats.
post #7 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That is solid for that price. Congrats.

As is yours.

I think its just amazing that such solid systems can be built for under $300.

(Whats even more surprising to me is my UnRaid server cost even less!)
post #8 of 1016
Thread Starter 
Yup. Amazing.

Wondering why my main rig costs over $4000. lol.
post #9 of 1016
I'm planning on rebuilding my HTPC soon and I'll keep some parts:

- Case
- BR drive
- PSU
- Avermedia Duet cards
- 500gb laptop drive
- 2tb recording drive

So I want a new mobo, RAM and SSD for the OS/app drive. I'm already using onboard HDMI and it's great. I think this mobo might work for my needs but I would want an i5 Sandy bridge or what ever those cpus are. I've been away for a while and need to catch up on the tech. I'd like for the build to handy 3D. Think this mobo will still work for me? I'm going to go look over the guides and see what's recommended.
post #10 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

As is yours.

I think its just amazing that such solid systems can be built for under $300.

Also highlights how, as prices continue to drop, how big a chunk of the total the cost of Windows has become for us normal humans, and how big a price advantage the big commericial builders have when they're only paying $10 or so for an OEM license.
post #11 of 1016
Nice! HTPCs are definitely moving in. For a little more than what most Bluray players cost you get so much more. Does that Sandy CPU handle 1080 content well? I may use one for my next build.
post #12 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Also highlights how, as prices continue to drop, how big a chunk of the total the cost of Windows has become for us normal humans, and how big a price advantage the big commericial builders have when they're only paying $10 or so for an OEM license.

Tell me about it.
post #13 of 1016
Thread Starter 
Let's say I build 15 PC's. What is the best and cheapest way to get licenses?

How about 10?

Or 5?

Does it change?

Somone aware me.
post #14 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Let's say I build 15 PC's. What is the best and cheapest way to get licenses?

How about 10?

Or 5?

Does it change?

Somone aware me.

If you are selling these and want to be legit you have to order many many more than 10 or 15 licenses to get them for $10 each.
post #15 of 1016
Amazing what you can get for the price these days. Are you guys planning on running Windows (another $100 at least) or use something like XBMC Live?

If any of use end up using Windows 8 Consumer Preview (which is free till next year) let us know if it works. That's what I'm running on a couple of pc's to save costs.
post #16 of 1016
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

If you are selling these and want to be legit you have to order many many more than 10 or 15 licenses to get them for $10 each.

I realize.

But what is my cost and best option?

Currently I just buy the discs. I have a PRO, a PRO OEM, a Home premium.

I use the same discs and just call microsoft when the codes stop working.

They give me new codes.

Is there a better way ?
post #17 of 1016
Why pay for a MS license If it's solely going to be a HTPC? Linux or pirate. I understand that the latter may not be appropriate for some, but even if selling let the person know upfront and that that's where a large part of the discount comes from.
post #18 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

Why pay for a MS license If it's solely going to be a HTPC? Linux or pirate. I understand that the latter may not be appropriate for some, but even if selling let the person know upfront and that that's where a large part of the discount comes from.

You must be joking. I would never allow this.
post #19 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

Why pay for a MS license If it's solely going to be a HTPC? Linux or pirate. I understand that the latter may not be appropriate for some, but even if selling let the person know upfront and that that's where a large part of the discount comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

You must be joking. I would never allow this.

Unbelievable.

This is why the rest of us end up paying $100.

I'm still struggling to figure out why "pirating" is "ok" because it's "solely going to be an htpc." Does that somehow make it less stealing than if it was a desktop or laptop?
post #20 of 1016
With the exception of the last few posts, this thread makes me feel better about my build. It's always nice to know I can do it cheaper. I really didn't want to spend 5-600 on one, but was willing to.

What programs do you run on SSD other than OS?
post #21 of 1016
Oh no it's stealing for sure. But if I'm selling an HTPC to someone and tell them you can either buy a legit or save money on a pirate, 98% are going to go with the pirated. And the reason you're paying $100 a pop is not because of pirating, if anything it drives the price down. Im not condoning I'm just asking the simple question why not? Support the little guys 100% but I lose no sleep at night for my pirated copies of Windows. If this is an issue use Linux for your HTPC. Hard to beat free and your little conscience is worry free
post #22 of 1016
It seems to me linux is fine for everything except if you do DVR.
post #23 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

Oh no it's stealing for sure. But if I'm selling an HTPC to someone and tell them you can either buy a legit or save money on a pirate, 98% are going to go with the pirated. And the reason you're paying $100 a pop is not because of pirating, if anything it drives the price down. Im not condoning I'm just asking the simple question why not? Support the little guys 100% but I lose no sleep at night for my pirated copies of Windows.

Seriously? You would knowingly sell pirated copies of Win7 to people.

Wow. No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

If this is an issue use Linux for your HTPC. Hard to beat free and your little conscience is worry free

No thanks. You try troubleshooting a Linux computer to someone who has limited PC knowledge let alone Linux+PC knowledge. No thanks. People can (and do) tinker and change things. Linux is not a great choice for a PC company like mine.
post #24 of 1016
Let's see here. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

I lose no sleep at night for my pirated copies of Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

Im not condoning

Yes you are. Actually promoting.

Just think how much more I could save on my htpc if I'd shoplift some SDRAM and an SSD while I'm at it. Same thing.
post #25 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhearn View Post

What programs do you run on SSD other than OS?

I put all my programs on my SSD on my htpc. A couple video editors, JR Media Center, Win DVD PRo, Norton Internet Security, some utilities, etc. Everything but the video and music content.
post #26 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post


Seriously? You would knowingly sell pirated copies of Win7 to people.

Wow. No thanks.

No thanks. You try troubleshooting a Linux computer to someone who has limited PC knowledge let alone Linux+PC knowledge. No thanks. People can (and do) tinker and change things. Linux is not a great choice for a PC company like mine.

No that's my point, I wouldn't charge for
the OS if its pirated. If you set it up right, troubleshooting XBMC on Linux is the same as Windows. If someone is computer illiterate, troubleshooting either OS is equally as hard.
post #27 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Let's see here. . . .

Yes you are. Actually promoting.

Just think how much more I could save on my htpc if I'd shoplift some SDRAM and an SSD while I'm at it. Same thing.

Do you always go the speed limit? Because if you don't (which I highly doubt anyone does) you're breaking the law. Now you can justify it any way you want to, but you're breaking the law. Pirating is obviously the cheapest way to get Windows, but I don't recommend it for everyone. The buyer may not feel comfortable. Building pcs may be your main source of income, definitely not a bright move to use pirated versions of Windows.

I'm not trying to step on toes. I believe we're all
adults and can discuss things of this nature without getting too upset with others that may not share the same view. I won't mention pirating Windows anymore here since it obviously seems to be a sore spot for some.
post #28 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

Do you always go the speed limit? Because if you don't (which I highly doubt anyone does) you're breaking the law. Now you can justify it any way you want to, but you're breaking the law. Pirating is obviously the cheapest way to get Windows, but I don't recommend it for everyone. The buyer may not feel comfortable. Building pcs may be your main source of income, definitely not a bright move to use pirated versions of Windows.

I'm not trying to step on toes. I believe we're all
adults and can discuss things of this nature without getting too upset with others that may not share the same view. I won't mention pirating Windows anymore here since it obviously seems to be a sore spot for some.

It makes no difference if you charge for it or not. The end result is you just sold a htpc with a pirated copy of windows to someone.

I also pay $15 for each and every version of Media Browser that I use. I probably don't have to as I could just download the same thing for free but this would also be illegal. So in the end I have paid hundreds of dollars to Media Browser because its the right thing to do.

Now if people want to use their htpc for illegal downloads and rips (technically backing up a bluray that you own to your hard drive is illegal) , then thats fine and their choice. But they won't be getting any illegal software or media/movies from us.
post #29 of 1016
I agree. But if I am upfront with the buyer and they are ok with it, there is no issue between the two parties. I would never lie to someone about the version of windows that is on their HTPC. I do draw a line at some point
post #30 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

I agree. But if I am upfront with the buyer and they are ok with it, there is no issue between the two parties. I would never lie to someone about the version of windows that is on their HTPC. I do draw a line at some point

Until the buyer or a competitor turns you in (better hope you have 100% customer satisfaction scores). Not something I would ever condone. It does cost more to do things the right way and to not cut corners but in the end its much more fulfilling.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Cheapest ever HTPC that's decent. Proud of myself.