or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Error Message
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Error Message

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I get this error message three or four times when I first power up my Magnavox 2160 connected to my LG HDTV with an HDMI cable. Then it goes away and I have no problems.

This is the message flashing on the screen:

Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please disconnect the HDMI cable and connect using component cables to continue watching TV.

How do I correct this problem?
post #2 of 13
Couple of things:

1. LG "Staff" tells one user that his HDMI cable may not be HDCP compliant and to try a diff. cable.

2. Multiple reboots/restarts and cable unplugs/replugs might solve the problem, as described here (HDMI FAQ link included).
post #3 of 13
You might also want to experiment with the order you your turn things on, for example do you get the error if you turn your DVDR on first and then the TV?
HDMI, nice when it works.......a PIA when it doesn't......
post #4 of 13
Yeah, there is more handshaking going on with HDMI than in a Masonic hall. And you had better get it right!

I dearly wish the manufacturers and designers had gotten it right, so we wouldn't have these issues. Then there is the whole 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.3A, 1.4 and now 1.4A varients of HDMI to contend with, re issues like backward compatability.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
I swapped out the cable for a new one. I'll test it out over the next few days. Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
I have a all in one Logitech Harmony remote and I know the last thing to come on is the TV. I'll turn them on with the individual remotes if the cable swap doesn't work. Thanks.
post #7 of 13
See if your LG has something called "HDMI Control" or "Sync" or "CEC" that turns both units on simultaneously with one remote? That requires HDMI communication so it should work properly every time?
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Yeah, there is more handshaking going on with HDMI than in a Masonic hall.

As they used to say in the Early Days of the Internet, ROTFL!!

I don't have a lot of components hooked up via HDMI right now ("only" 2 inputs on the main TV), but when I fire them up, I'm always wondering if today will be the day the TV says, "Sorry pal, don't know ya!"
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

I don't have a lot of components hooked up via HDMI right now ("only" 2 inputs on the main TV), but when I fire them up, I'm always wondering if today will be the day the TV says, "Sorry pal, don't know ya!"

Other than the Wii, every component I have is hooked up via HDMI 1.3 direct to the Plasma or into the AVR and on to the Plasma. No CEC control on anything. Just a Harmony remote that turns everybody on and off as needed. It all just works and has from the start.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
It's been three days since I swapped out the HDMI cable and the problem has disappeared!
Finding a standard that defines HDCP for an HDMI cables seems to be impossible unless I looking in the wrong areas or it's being defined by another term.

Anyway, the problem is resolved and thanks to all for your help.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Other than the Wii, every component I have is hooked up via HDMI 1.3 direct to the Plasma or into the AVR and on to the Plasma. No CEC control on anything. Just a Harmony remote that turns everybody on and off as needed. It all just works and has from the start.

And I have to say that despite all the "Masonic" handshaking that goes on, with a few rare times that I had to shut everything off and start again, my Sharp LCD and source devices usually end up finding each other.

But since I watch mostly SD programming, a lot of the PQ benefit of an HDMI connection is lost on me!
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

And I have to say that despite all the "Masonic" handshaking that goes on, with a few rare times that I had to shut everything off and start again, my Sharp LCD and source devices usually end up finding each other.

But since I watch mostly SD programming, a lot of the PQ benefit of an HDMI connection is lost on me!

My devices are always handshaking. My TiVo is set for native output so every time I change the channel it communicates with the display to tell it if it's sending 1080i, 720p or 480. I think quality components that implement HDMI properly will have few problems.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

My devices are always handshaking. My TiVo is set for native output so every time I change the channel it communicates with the display to tell it if it's sending 1080i, 720p or 480. I think quality components that implement HDMI properly will have few problems.

The problem with that is, as I aluded to earlier, that the components in question have to be very modern to keep up with all the HDMI standards. My earliest HD television is no onlger totally compliant with the DirecTV reveivers, because I occasionally get a message about the display not being able to show the content, and that I neeed to disconnect the DHMI cable and use component connections instead! Really? If I unplug the HDMI, the problem goes away.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Error Message