or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012 - Page 10

post #271 of 446
3-1. I had Unity in Motion over the dogs because there was a time on AGT when if you made mistakes, especially at this stage of the game, you were out. The dogs made two mistakes so that put them out for me.

Best night of the season. At least two that left last night will be back. Sharon put All That through. I think Howard will pick Unity in Motion.

My top five, in no particular order:

William Close
Tom Cotter
Tim Hockenberry
Joe Castillo
Shanice

I need to eliminate one. If William Close can repeat what he did Tuesday, he is my favorite to win.

I don’t see anyone from the ‘second chance’ acts making my top five. Can YouTube come up with another Jackie?
post #272 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

3-1. I had Unity in Motion over the dogs because there was a time on AGT when if you made mistakes, especially at this stage of the game, you were out. The dogs made two mistakes so that put them out for me.
Best night of the season. At least two that left last night will be back. Sharon put All That through. I think Howard will pick Unity in Motion.
Unity in Motion was very impressive. But where do they have to go after that performance? That was presumably as good as they could ever be, and they still didn't finish in the top 6 in the voting. I'm going to say that Howard will NOT pick Unity in Motion, or anyone from last night's show for his wildcard.
post #273 of 446
Will Howie turn Howard into a killer by picking Big Barry? biggrin.gif
post #274 of 446
I went 4-0, which puts me at 15-1 for the Live shows. The only act that I picked that didn't go through was Elusive, but I don't think he has enough going for him to be Howie's or Howard's wildcard spot (I don't think All That is a wildcard either, but hey. Sharon just wants Thunder from Down Under). If Howard doesn't pick Unity In Motion, he could potentially pick Wordspit and the Illest. Who knows what Howie will do, considering he has the strangest tastes in acts. He'd probably bring back Rocketman, but there is no way that's worth $1 million.
post #275 of 446
I had
- Castillo
- Close
- Oliva (Eric is worthless IMO)
- Mariachi Kid

I can believe the dogs made it.. the act was pretty short and with mistakes.. I guess America loves dogs, no matter what they do...
Also any of the dancers.. that solo girl is just like Turf but BEAUTIFUL... I'll watch her 1000% more than Turf (that's me IDK )

Dittleman.. seriously how many mind "tricks" can you do in a million dollar act?
post #276 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Dittleman.. seriously how many mind "tricks" can you do in a million dollar act?
Have you ever seen a Mentalist's show? You can fill an hour, and be extremely entertained. Especially if you get audience involvement (as Dittelman has done in each of his acts... technically, the judges are "audience".
post #277 of 446
Nope, and I woulnd't go to one either, same as a hypnotist show and medium (talks to the death) ones..

Not my cup of tea but some people like them..
post #278 of 446
Sharon Osborne announced she will not be back next season. Not sure who I feel about that.
post #279 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

3-1. The dogs made two mistakes so that put them out for me.

That just cracked me up for some reason. biggrin.gif
post #280 of 446
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Sharon Osborne announced she will not be back next season. Not sure who I feel about that.

Don't feel Howard. biggrin.gif
post #281 of 446
She's coming back...just a ploy.
post #282 of 446

This is my first season watching this show and I find it generally entertaining, although it suffers from the standard filler of recaps and background stories repeated ad nauseum like other talent shows.  This latest episode was filled with some of the best talent, as has been noted and I can't really fault the final 4, though I was surprised the clogging guys beat out the young female dancer/athlete.  What DID bug me though was the ridiculous directing/editing of the shots.  Especially when the sand/paint guy was doing his performance.  The director kept feeling the need to shift the view and often lingered over the guy's shoulder, which showed very little of the effect.  When seen from stage front, the sculptures were amazing, but too often they felt the need to cut away.  They also tend to do this with large acts like the bikers and dancers, where constant cutting completely kills the overall effect for the home audience.  That director should find work in another medium if this is his best work.  As for Stern, I'm no particular fan of his, but many of his comments are right on and his calling out of Mandel for putting through acts simply because they are novelty-but-talentless was refreshing.  At the end, Sharon always acts as though she had no idea they were coming to her for a decision and almost always simply picks "the other one" just to keep from making the deciding choice.  Stern has no such problem and lets the chips fall where they may.  My last complaint is the painfully stretched out "...and the act leaving is..." when they pan across the contestants in a torturous, slow manner - it seems like it takes 5 minutes pause just to say the words and get to the answer.

post #283 of 446
Useless show without a DVR to FF through the redundant bits.
post #284 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

She's coming back...just a ploy.

+1

AGT goes into hiatus for two weeks and the day following a live show we get a tweet that Sharon isn’t returning? I don’t buy it. Howard also mentioned in those same tweets that he might not be returning. The show is just trying to generate attention, IMO. No break, no tweet.
post #285 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

As for Stern, I'm no particular fan of his, but many of his comments are right on and his calling out of Mandel for putting through acts simply because they are novelty-but-talentless was refreshing.  At the end, Sharon always acts as though she had no idea they were coming to her for a decision and almost always simply picks "the other one" just to keep from making the deciding choice.
I really got the impression that the judges are told by the producers ahead of time which acts are going to be the 4th and 5th place teams, so they already know which one they are going to vote for. If there is a split, Nick will ask the two judges who disagreed first, before getting to the third judge who will break the tie.

Last week, Howie and Howard were the first two judges to speak, and Sharon broke the tie. Obviously this week, Howard broke the tie. Week 2, Howie broke the tie. It's been a different order each time.

The only time all three judges agreed was with Edon, but the three other times there was a split. There was never a time where two of the judges that agreed went first and second. I could be imagining things, but that's how the voting has shaken out so far.
post #286 of 446
I really hope they grab some talent from this week's show as wildcards for later, Again big mistake putting most of the best for last, since only 4 could make it.

I'm still baffled by the camera director keeps making the same bad mistakes every week, I screamed at the TV "I'll bet they won't sustain the same shot on the cannon guy!" they kept doing it every replay..
post #287 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

We are not watching AGT this year due to Howard Stern. In all sincerity I would like your opinions regarding the impact of Howard on the overall show, its contestants, the live audience, television viewers and last but not least Howie and Sharon.
Thank you.
On the AGT message board, here is who is getting the most attention.

Replies:

Howard – 325
Howie – 136
Nick - 63
Sharon – 26

http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?showforum=51
post #288 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I had
- Castillo
- Close
- Oliva (Eric is worthless IMO)
- Mariachi Kid
I can believe the dogs made it.. the act was pretty short and with mistakes.. I guess America loves dogs, no matter what they do...
Also any of the dancers.. that solo girl is just like Turf but BEAUTIFUL... I'll watch her 1000% more than Turf (that's me IDK )
Dittleman.. seriously how many mind "tricks" can you do in a million dollar act?

As a guitarist myself, Eric is pretty good .. and it was mentioned that he comes up with all the arrangements .. most singers are not nearly as good without siden people .. of course, it's a moot point now ..

I would have picked her over Turf as well ..

I really like Castillo .. he puts a whole new spin on performance art
post #289 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

+1
AGT goes into hiatus for two weeks and the day following a live show we get a tweet that Sharon isn’t returning? I don’t buy it. Howard also mentioned in those same tweets that he might not be returning. The show is just trying to generate attention, IMO. No break, no tweet.

I don't know .. I posted a link the day the news hit ..

She's apparently staying quiet on it .. with her son's condition and her schedule, maybe it's time for a change ..

As well, has X-Factor USA filled all the chairs yet .. ?? She was very popular on X-Factor UK .. so who knows .. ??
post #290 of 446
Thread Starter 
I'll add that anyone that is avoiding the show because of Stern is missing a large portion of the entertainment value this season .. the producers made a great choice ..
post #291 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I had
- Castillo
- Close
- Oliva (Eric is worthless IMO)
- Mariachi Kid
I can believe the dogs made it.. the act was pretty short and with mistakes.. I guess America loves dogs, no matter what they do...
Also any of the dancers.. that solo girl is just like Turf but BEAUTIFUL... I'll watch her 1000% more than Turf (that's me IDK )
Dittleman.. seriously how many mind "tricks" can you do in a million dollar act?

As a guitarist myself, Eric is pretty good .. and it was mentioned that he comes up with all the arrangements .. most singers are not nearly as good without siden people .. of course, it's a moot point now ..

I can walk into dozens of spots here in San Diego and hear duos just as talented, if not more so. Howie was right.
post #292 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I can walk into dozens of spots here in San Diego and hear duos just as talented, if not more so. Howie was right.

Anyone can .. in fact, with rare exception over the years, that can be said for many AGT singers .. that does not detract from the act .. and like I said, it's a moot point now ..
post #293 of 446
I think the point Domino was trying to make is the same as mine: If I can walk into any nightclub in my city and see a similar act perform at a very high level, then it's not a Vegas act. If I'm going to go to Vegas and pay $100 for a 45 minute show, I want it to be something I can't see anywhere else.

Right now for me, that's David Garibaldi, William Close, Joe Castillo, Lightwire Theater, or Eric Dittelman. Probably Turf, too, since he's unique. As for the rest? I can see singers, comics, or dance acts anywhere and anytime. Very good ones, too. There aren't very many comics I'm going to pay more than $20 to see.
post #294 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I think the point Domino was trying to make is the same as mine: If I can walk into any nightclub in my city and see a similar act perform at a very high level, then it's not a Vegas act. If I'm going to go to Vegas and pay $100 for a 45 minute show, I want it to be something I can't see anywhere else.
Right now for me, that's David Garibaldi, William Close, Joe Castillo, Lightwire Theater, or Eric Dittelman. Probably Turf, too, since he's unique. As for the rest? I can see singers, comics, or dance acts anywhere and anytime. Very good ones, too. There aren't very many comics I'm going to pay more than $20 to see.

I agree .. .. not to say however, that acts like Oliva & Eric although average in talent, may have a live quality that attracts a following ..

Male and Female acts have a place, to name a few ..

Captain and Tennille
Sonny & Cher
Richard & Karen Carpenter
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
post #295 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I think the point Domino was trying to make is the same as mine: If I can walk into any nightclub in my city and see a similar act perform at a very high level, then it's not a Vegas act. If I'm going to go to Vegas and pay $100 for a 45 minute show, I want it to be something I can't see anywhere else.

Right now for me, that's David Garibaldi, William Close, Joe Castillo, Lightwire Theater, or Eric Dittelman. Probably Turf, too, since he's unique. As for the rest? I can see singers, comics, or dance acts anywhere and anytime. Very good ones, too. There aren't very many comics I'm going to pay more than $20 to see.

Or, pay to see an adolescent boy sing a classic Latin love song (and have Sharon call it Mariachi) while coming only semi-close to half of the notes.
post #296 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Or, pay to see an adolescent boy sing a classic Latin love song (and have Sharon call it Mariachi) while coming only semi-close to half of the notes.

Now that I agree with 100% .. they drifted away from what made them appealing in the first place .. the song choice was crap and he was not doing a good job with it .. seemed like a nice kid, though ..
post #297 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I agree .. .. not to say however, that acts like Oliva & Eric although average in talent, may have a live quality that attracts a following ..
Male and Female acts have a place, to name a few ..
Captain and Tennille
Sonny & Cher
Richard & Karen Carpenter
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

Not to mention Ike & Tina Turner . . .
post #298 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I agree .. .. not to say however, that acts like Oliva & Eric although average in talent, may have a live quality that attracts a following ..
Male and Female acts have a place, to name a few ..
Captain and Tennille
Sonny & Cher
Richard & Karen Carpenter
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

Not to mention Ike & Tina Turner . . .

...and all of the above gained fame by writing and performing their own material (and adding their own unique personality), not by simply doing covers of existing work.
post #299 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

...and all of the above gained fame by writing and performing their own material (and adding their own unique personality), not by simply doing covers of existing work.
I can understand the point Howie was trying to make a few weeks ago, re: original material and the audience voting for you. Personally, I thought that Wordspit and the Illest was a very good band, but being a good band isn't enough to get voted for. You have to play what's popular. Even popular musicians today don't go to a concert and expect to play new material to raving crowds. Bruce Springsteen will play 3 hours of his greatest hits, because that's what the fans want to hear.

After checking out a few youtube videos, I think Wordspit and the Illest is definitely good enough to have a record deal, and get some major airplay on the radio. Whether or not they come back as a wildcard and win this contest, some producer out there is going to hear them and give them that opportunity. Although, they may need to tone down the "Wordspit" and focus more on "the Illest".
post #300 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

...and all of the above gained fame by writing and performing their own material (and adding their own unique personality), not by simply doing covers of existing work.

We don't know if Oliva & Eric have original material .. as well, contestants are clearly encouraged to do cover material and anything beyond a cover has always been considered a big risk ..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012