or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012 - Page 12

post #331 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

If the bird was trained to do that specific flight, which I assume it was, then why does the guy need to call it at all .. ?? I'm not saying it was not a well trained bird .. maybe they can use it on Game of Thrones .. wink.gif .. I'm saying it was a stupid act .. and it flies (pun intended) in the face of Howards commitment to "Vegas Million Dollar Acts" .. Big Barry would be more of a Vegas act than this bird ..
Don't get me wrong, we've seen worse this season .. eek.gif

Because otherwise it was no sound and just a picture of a bird flying, it was part of the act as if he was calling it and it came to him.
post #332 of 446
4-0. But it didn’t take a talent scout to figure that one out.

I did like the Academy of Villains, beyond that........disaster of a night, which included their ‘star’ guests.

That show was about as amateur hour as it gets. More shows like that and it will be the end of AGT. Maybe they will reconsider YouTube next year, but I doubt it. What they should do to replace YouTube, at least for a year, IMO, is have people around the country send in videos of street performers. They’ve performed on the show through the years and there are some really talented people on the street. Are they million dollar good, don’t know, but I do know they are better than 90% of these YouTube acts we see.
Edited by Aliens - 8/16/12 at 4:54am
post #333 of 446
I know Sharon usually wears heavy makeup, but just thought the mascara and eyeshadow was a bit heavier than normal the other night. More in the style of Tammy Faye. Who was always quite striking and attractive in person, despite sometimes overdoing the eye makeup. But that was her trademark.
post #334 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Because otherwise it was no sound and just a picture of a bird flying, it was part of the act as if he was calling it and it came to him.

So you think the guy calling the bird was part of the act .. ?? I'm not buying that .. I think the bird required him doing the calling .. if the bird could be trained to just get to the theater door, although I'm no expert on bird hearing, him calling it would get it to him from that point on .. and would not total silence be more interesting than Clints calling .. ?? Maybe I just have a DNA gene against bird acts .. wink.gif

Hopefully, the next rounds will get more interesting ..

Next week, we get treated to the "Wild Card" show .. with freaky Goth opera singer Andrew De Leon .. as well as the King of Crotch shots .. etc, etc .. I can't wait ..

Last nights show had so much "filler" and seemed all about buying time .. and an hour long recap of the night before preseding it ..
post #335 of 446
He/they said there were no camera tricks, I could believe that if the cameras never switched, yeah it's kind of hard following the bird 100% of the time due to the nature of the stunt... (only way I imagine is putting a camera on the bird)

It doesn't help also this show camera director is a moron that should be fired... too many mishaps thus far..
post #336 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

...and would not total silence be more interesting than Clints calling .. ??

I don’t see his stage ‘performance’ to be any different than a magician. You need some ‘flash,’ although saying kitty, kitty, kitty, isn’t flash, it’s better than just standing there. If the magician performed without any music, no glamorous assistant, no fanfare, and just walked over and did his magic, it would be boring and a lot less entertaining. Theatrics adds to any performance. It wouldn’t be much of a performance if the guy walked on stage, released the bird, and it fly into the theater and landed on his arm. How its done can be as much a mystery as how a magician performs his/her magic. That’s not to say the bird act is on par with a magician, just that theatrics are a part of any show.
post #337 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I don’t see his stage ‘performance’ to be any different than a magician. You need some ‘flash,’ although saying kitty, kitty, kitty, isn’t flash, it’s better than just standing there. If the magician performed without any music, no glamorous assistant, no fanfare, and just walked over and did his magic, it would be boring and a lot less entertaining. Theatrics adds to any performance. It wouldn’t be much of a performance if the guy walked on stage, released the bird, and it fly into the theater and landed on his arm. How its done can be as much a mystery as how a magician performs his/her magic. That’s not to say the bird act is on par with a magician, just that theatrics are a part of any show.

I can understand that .. to me, though, the calling aspect was not theatrical .. drama can be created in many ways and silence is one .. as far as mystery goes, I don't see any in this act .. no body is going to think the bird just did this on the spur of the moment .. unless him calling is a required part of the act in order to get the bird to do it .. and if that's the case, then the act should be able to be replicated without practice in any similar venue ..

I just don't get a trained bird flying from a building outside and landing on a guys hand as being the wow factor others seem to think it is .. I know it may just be me, and I've admitted to that .. wink.gif
post #338 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post


I just don't get a trained bird flying from a building outside and landing on a guys hand as being the wow factor others seem to think it is .. I know it may just be me, and I've admitted to that .. wink.gif

I thought it was pretty cool. But I’m an animal lover, so count me a sucker when it comes to ‘animal’ acts. Maybe it was one of those “you had to be there” acts to get the feel of it. I’ll admit, there really wasn’t much to the act. I need to see more before I’m going to get too excited. I had to pass him through, otherwise I couldn’t have come up with 4.
post #339 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I thought it was pretty cool. But I’m an animal lover, so count me a sucker when it comes to ‘animal’ acts. Maybe it was one of those “you had to be there” acts to get the feel of it. I’ll admit, there really wasn’t much to the act. I need to see more before I’m going to get too excited. I had to pass him through, otherwise I couldn’t have come up with 4.

I'm going to see what he comes up with in the next round .. and don't get me wrong, I'm not an animal hater ..
post #340 of 446
BTW look at this camera that can be mounted on a bird....

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/a-litteral-birds-eye-view-head-mounted-camera-captures-falcon-as-he-flies-and-hunts/
post #341 of 446
The assistant did have a radio, so he was calling to her on the radio prior to releasing the bird. It is possible that the "call" is required for the bird to execute the trick, and that hearing his voice over the radio is enough.

I thought it was stupid.
post #342 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Maybe I just have a DNA gene against bird acts .. wink.gif

biggrin.gif
post #343 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

It doesn't help also this show camera director is a moron that should be fired... too many mishaps thus far..

That was never more apparent than during the puppet magician’s act. One thing that interests me about magicians is trying to figure out how they do it. In this instance, the camera was so close you couldn’t see the switching going on to the right of the screen because they were so close. It isn’t like they don’t know what the performers are going to do, so why be so tight that those at home don’t get to see the entire act like those in the audience? The director/directors performance this year has been on par with the talent.
post #344 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

4-0. But it didn’t take a talent scout to figure that one out.

I did like the Academy of Villains, beyond that........disaster of a night, which included their ‘star’ guests.

That show was about as amateur hour as it gets. More shows like that and it will be the end of AGT. Maybe they will reconsider YouTube next year, but I doubt it. What they should do to replace YouTube, at least for a year, IMO, is have people around the country send in videos of street performers. They’ve performed on the show through the years and there are some really talented people on the street. Are they million dollar good, don’t know, but I do know they are better than 90% of these YouTube acts we see.

Hell, my friend's daughter's YouTube video is better than half of what we saw on AGT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df1CSPIVNjc
post #345 of 446
Last night refreshed my memory why I haven't been watching this show.
post #346 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

That was never more apparent than during the puppet magician’s act. One thing that interests me about magicians is trying to figure out how they do it. In this instance, the camera was so close you couldn’t see the switching going on to the right of the screen because they were so close..
I watched it three times, and still can't tell how he did it.

I watched some of his other youtube videos, and now I kinda wish he advanced. Oh well, at least Spencer Horsman is coming back.
post #347 of 446

I have to agree about the director.  All season he has felt the need to constantly move the camera around, even for large groups.  It gets confusing when you can't see the whole act and could definitely impact the voting.  Some of the larger dance groups or the bike groups lose a lot of impact with the constant camera movement.  The puppet magician was another good example.  The guy clearly goes out of frame at the time of the switch and the director obligingly zooms in on the silly puppet dancing.  Really terrible directing. 

post #348 of 446
Anyone know how many wild card acts make it back?? Is it one per judge only?
post #349 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Anyone know how many wild card acts make it back?? Is it one per judge only?
Four per judge = 12. By the end of Wednesday we will have the final 24.
post #350 of 446
I wonder how much actual "thought" went into the Judge's picks for the Wildcard round. Because overall, it looks to be another terrible night of television.

Sharon: All That and Lindsey Norton are understandable (safe picks, even), but Jacob Rogers and the old guys acrobats? Why?

Howard: I'm disappointed he didn't pick Wordspit. That makes no sense. Instead, he picks Horse. What the French, Howard? I'm excited to see Spencer Horsman give it a second shot, because I think he's talented and just had a bad night. But again, why does he pick crossbow guy?

Howie: Of course, we expected all of his picks to suck. He delivers. Mariachi-boy is a no go. Jarrett and Raja are already going up superior illusionists/magicians. Sandu already fell from his tower once, and that's really all he's got (not a Vegas show). Andrew De Leon makes sense, but I hope he's been practicing.
post #351 of 446
Indeed, only Andrew made sense on those picks..

Crossbow guy should be a stun double for Brandon Routh.. LOL
post #352 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Indeed, only Andrew made sense on those picks..
Crossbow guy should be a stun double for Brandon Routh.. LOL

I was thinking the crossbow version of Criss Angel ..
post #353 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Four per judge = 12. By the end of Wednesday we will have the final 24.

Sorry, I meant, how many wild cards will make it through to the final rounds (I guess I don't know how many we have now to know how many slots are left in the top 24).
post #354 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Sorry, I meant, how many wild cards will make it through to the final rounds (I guess I don't know how many we have now to know how many slots are left in the top 24).

Four will go through. Same as usual - audience picks 3 and the judges 1. There are currently 20 slots filled, they will be the final four.
post #355 of 446
A bit disappointing tonight. A lot that we had already seen. Strangely enough, after several performances, Horse's act is holding up better than most everyone else.
post #356 of 446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

A bit disappointing tonight. A lot that we had already seen. Strangely enough, after several performances, Horse's act is holding up better than most everyone else.

.. the audience seemed to really like Andrew De Leon, which I personally don't get .. I'd think that him as well as Jarrett and Raja will go thru .. but who knows ...
Edited by mgkdragn - 8/22/12 at 1:34pm
post #357 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

A bit disappointing tonight. A lot that we had already seen. Strangely enough, after several performances, Horse's act is holding up better than most everyone else.

Indeed, I didn't like the rest either.. almost fell asleep.
post #358 of 446
I agree about Horse. When you put in the perspective Howard put it in, that actually makes sense: Which act is America going to fast forward through on the DVR? It certainly wasn't Horse. I also agree with the comment by Jarod, that Horse continues to evolve the basic concept of getting kicked in the nuts each time he performs. I was initially down on him, but the more I think about it he actually has more showmanship in his one gimmick than most of the other performers have in their entire acts, combined! Gotta give the guy credit for continuing to come back and up the ante.

I was mostly right about the other acts, but as far as what Amurrrica is gonna vote, I think they're going to get this week wrong.

All That continues to be lame. Its cabaret on clogs. Lindsey Norton is absolutely fantastic as a gymnast, and what she does is amazing, but it's not a stage show. She needs props or tricks or something (think Cirque du Soleil). Jake Rogers claimed he loved that Gaga song, but I saw absolutely no emotion in his singing... the way Gaga sings it, she BELTS out those notes. he fell flat. And I'm afraid Old Guy acrobats are going to hurt themselves. That was an amazing trick, but it's unsustainable.

Spencer Horsman absolutely delivered. He's my pick. Crossbow guy got the crowd excited, but again he does a trick that's essentially for show, because all the crossbows are preset. It was impressive that he hit that target while blindfolded, but it was ultimately unnecessary for the overall trick of the apple because that was a surefire success. The apple wasn't even on his head, it was attached to a target! Todd Oliver delivered the political humor, but when it comes down to it he's just a ventriloquist with a dog.

Sandu fell off the tower again. XXX. Mariachi Boy is just 10, and like Jake, he has trouble conveying the emotion in his songs. Singing in English probably hosed him, because we were able to compare his singing to Frank Sinatra, and now we know what vocal cues he missed out on. Jarrett and Raja got a standing ovation, but I think that trick was incredibly simplistic; Raja said it was dangerous in the promo, but how? It was obvious how he got out of the box; as soon as it was sealed up, he changed into the costume of the stagehands and went out the back of the box! You can even see his feet coming out of the box right before he walks off stage. It was a brilliant performance, though, and it should be enough to advance. Better than the it's singing in the rain bit. Andrew De Leon didn't show the range that he's probably capable of, and I think he still needs to practice some more. Amurrrica will still vote for him.
post #359 of 446
Thread Starter 
For some odd reason, when Jake Rogers did the GaGa tune, I thought "You know, if he had turned this into a Country tune Lyle Lovett style, it might have a chance .. "
post #360 of 446
Also the camera director didn't help Raja at all... or even Horsman, just the fact to cut the scene to view the judges current reaction and you miss what's going on those seconds or changing the perspective from the side, can't they keep the cameras focus for 90 secs? cmon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012