or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Do you have image burn-in with your Panasonic Plasma?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you have image burn-in with your Panasonic Plasma? - Page 2

post #31 of 105
Burn-in - No
Model Number - 2012 55ST50 (UK version)
Number of Hours - No idea but 3 months of probably 3 hours a day
Break-in performed - No, went straight to watching full screen content on True Cinema, zooming in to remove static logos. Only started watching full screen with logos on channels with extremely faint/see-through logos about a month ago.
Usage - 70% TV 30 % Movie

I feared the burn-in / IR and was extremely careful at the start, and am still careful now to not leave static images on screen (such as the guide on my freesat), and so far no problems smile.gif

I also zoom in on 4:3 and widescreen (2.35/2.4:1) films.


It does seem that some people are just unlucky with their panels!
post #32 of 105
i just noticed burn in on mine after 250 hours of usage on my Panasonic VT50

It started with watching the discovery channel last weekend for a few hours. Now I see the giant D in my lower left screen.
Seems to have faded a lot but I can see it if I look on dark grey backgrounds.

Also I have a HUD from the new far cry 3 game (blood dragon)
the environment is dark and the HUD is bright white so even after playing it for an hour it will still be present even after leaving the TV on HBO for the night.

My 2008 50" panny plasma has zero burn in.

Also, Panasonic's customer service might just be the worst on the planet. It's like talking to a ****ing robot.
They'll basically blame you for any type of image retention/burn in, for simply watching TV.

Great picture, not happy about the burn in or customer service. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too
post #33 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

Return the LG get the Panasonic. Much less incidents of repair and better picture. This is from expert testing and statistical compilation not idiots posting on forums. Deriving information from forums is a waste of time. You get these endless hysterical posts that CR sums up with a simple "not apparent in Normal viewing". If you don't intend to play games in torch mode for 12 hours straight, you have no issue. And don't think LCDs are immune to burn either.

My 55ST60 arrived on the 25th. I've done intermittent hours of break-in/slide running. At first after playing Future Soldier i noticed very faint IR. I must confess, however, that it was like the 5th day I had the TV. Just running slides seemed to help it.

I currently use the tv at either cinema or home theater mode. the contrast is at around 43, brightness -4, warm 2, pixel orbiter on, no NR settings enabled. I have watched some of the Playoff games in Full mode with no complaints to make--knock on wood. I did, however, notice after playing BF3 there was slight IR. After watching TV and running slides, and the screen wipe, i don't see it now. this was a week ago. I've read that you really have to work at burn in. I want to start watching TV as it was meant with all its bars or logos. I hope to get to that point and hopefully not in like a year.

so no burn-in
games (rite now) about 10%
TV= 80-90%
right now I can't watch my blu-rays because the aspect ratios cause the bars. I haven't found any way to remedy this problem either via TV or BD Player.
post #34 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaJae View Post

My 55ST60 arrived on the 25th. I've done intermittent hours of break-in/slide running. At first after playing Future Soldier i noticed very faint IR. I must confess, however, that it was like the 5th day I had the TV. Just running slides seemed to help it.

I currently use the tv at either cinema or home theater mode. the contrast is at around 43, brightness -4, warm 2, pixel orbiter on, no NR settings enabled. I have watched some of the Playoff games in Full mode with no complaints to make--knock on wood. I did, however, notice after playing BF3 there was slight IR. After watching TV and running slides, and the screen wipe, i don't see it now. this was a week ago. I've read that you really have to work at burn in. I want to start watching TV as it was meant with all its bars or logos. I hope to get to that point and hopefully not in like a year.

so no burn-in
games (rite now) about 10%
TV= 80-90%
right now I can't watch my blu-rays because the aspect ratios cause the bars. I haven't found any way to remedy this problem either via TV or BD Player.

Each panel is different, though I think the jury is still out about how IR resistant this year’s Panasonics will be. I have last year’s ST50 and admit I get temporary IR all the time. But since it’s not visible during my normal TV viewing, I don’t consider it a problem. My panel viewing habits are %15 Gaming 10% Blu Ray and 75% Full Screen content, including, ESPN, baseball, and channels with bright logos like History. I don’t use the screen wipe or pixel orbiter as they seem useless but do use a pixel flipper as part of my maintenance. I consider my plasma to be a tad higher maintenance than my LCDs but it could just be me being ocd. That said, I do have black bar burn-in from standard def programming on my older lower end 27” Westinghouse LCD. My Samsung 50” LCD is still flawless after 5 years of serious abuse by me and my son.

In my view, if you are past the 100-150hr break-in period, just use the panel as you like. If you have a long-term gaming session or play the same game regularly, you could run a pixel flipper or TV static for a few hours or overnight afterwards. I watched a couple blu-ray movies with the first week of owning my panel with no ill effect. IMO, compared to static hud games, black bars from blu-rays have little to no effect on plasmas. Enjoy your panel.
post #35 of 105
An older one here... still like it though! TH-46PZ80B

Got it with 4.2k hours on it with common fault, easy fix. (I'm keeping this one... too good for me to sell it.) Have put about 500 more hours on it watching lots of 1:2.35 movies and using it as a large computer monitor.

The result, on a solid white screen, not a touch of burn in.

When I move in to the new place it will be semi-permanently hooked up to an XBMC box so the abusive burning-in behaviour will stop... maybe.
post #36 of 105
I have a 55ut50 with burn in. I had the contrast at 95 for a while. Never did slides. ID channel burned into the right bottom corner. I have about 820 hours currently. I think it sucks! Never really watch 4:3 and channel doesn't stay constant very long. I have had the 3 hour shut off on since day one. I also have a 42gt25 and the same channels are viewed on that tv i alternate between thx and custom on that one and no burn in. I will say this though. I have been alternating between solid white and scrolling bar for several nights (all night 10+ hours straight) and the burn in is beginning to get lighter. It is still there but it is undeniably better than it was 5 days ago. The adjustment menu allows continuous white screen and scrolling bar (whichever you choose) and based on another members advice the burn in is gently beginning to lighten up. I was curious though, is it bad for the coloring of the tv or anything to run a scrolling bar or bleach white screen for such extended periods of time? My tv is used to only being on for a couple hours at a time so i wasn't sure if it negatively affects it in any way?
post #37 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

Each panel is different, though I think the jury is still out about how IR resistant this year’s Panasonics will be. I have last year’s ST50 and admit I get temporary IR all the time. But since it’s not visible during my normal TV viewing, I don’t consider it a problem. My panel viewing habits are %15 Gaming 10% Blu Ray and 75% Full Screen content, including, ESPN, baseball, and channels with bright logos like History. I don’t use the screen wipe or pixel orbiter as they seem useless but do use a pixel flipper as part of my maintenance. I consider my plasma to be a tad higher maintenance than my LCDs but it could just be me being ocd. That said, I do have black bar burn-in from standard def programming on my older lower end 27” Westinghouse LCD. My Samsung 50” LCD is still flawless after 5 years of serious abuse by me and my son.

In my view, if you are past the 100-150hr break-in period, just use the panel as you like. If you have a long-term gaming session or play the same game regularly, you could run a pixel flipper or TV static for a few hours or overnight afterwards. I watched a couple blu-ray movies with the first week of owning my panel with no ill effect. IMO, compared to static hud games, black bars from blu-rays have little to no effect on plasmas. Enjoy your panel.

I mentioned in another thread that my tv arrived on the 30th, however it seems i'm wrong. I have maybe a week left to my 30 day return period. But before I do anything as extreme as exchanging it, I need to determine this issue I now have with it:

Well Isn't this a lovely day...

So, I was checking my screen after i had left BF3's menu there for maybe 10 minutes? Maybe 15... I came back to the tv, realized what I had done, went, "uh oh" and immediately put it into screen wipe and low and behold there was a Cartoon Network logo imprinted on the screen as plain as day... And It seems to be sticking around. My kids were watching it today, don't know for how long, but I thought I was safe after having aged it at least 300-500 hours now, and even with screen wipe It's still there.

How do I determine whether it's stubborn IR or BI? There were some remnants of the BF3 menu, but that has since faded. Now it's at least 20 minutes running screen wipe and a pixel jogger to what seems to be no avail. I received this tv on the 30th so i have at least 12 days left before I can turn it in. The question is, is this something I have to look forward to with another set? Is it f#$@ed? I mean if that is the case, why bother with a plasma? I love the pq and should be able to watch it like a normal person especially since it's been "aged".

Also, why make a smarttv if the chance of IR or BI is that great? Those are pretty static menus. Don't they expect people to be using them? Or at least browsing them for some length or at least as long as they would like? I really can't tell if it's getting better. My eyes can't really tell the difference, but i think it hasn't really faded. As far as I'm concerned it's the same as when I first noticed it. I really don't want to have to get an LED. That would really suck arse.

Here's a pic, although it is more clearly defined than shows:



It looks worse when the screen wipe white rolls over it.

Still there frown.gif

i'm kinda freaking out here. I'll check it in another 15 minutes, but do i just hang on the it and hope it goes away? or do i settle and downgrade? I really don't want to have to do that, but hell.

I don't seem to notice it now with regular content on, but will I always have to baby this thing? a lot of movies show in letterbox. I really don't want to have to worry about that either. Stress is not really a great thing in my life. WTF
post #38 of 105
well I'm watching a movie, and when the screen is bright where the logo is I can see the logo. It's RIGHT THERE. frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif
post #39 of 105
Length of time on the screen:
15 minutes? It will go away.
15 hours? It'll take some time. (Mine took 3~4 days.)
15 days? You have a problem.
post #40 of 105
Burn-in: Absolutely yes!
2012 60GT60
~800 hours.
100% TV and movies - no 4:3 content
THX Cinema mode with contrast set at 70 and brightness set at 52.

Two logos burned-in that are very clearly visible. The first is the CBC logo that is displayed during local newscasts which I watch for about 15 minutes 5 days a week. It's a solid bright white box with a red CBC logo imbedded within it. The other is the Comedy Central logo to the right of it. I watch about an hour of Comedy Central 4 days a week. They have both been there for about six weeks. They aren't getting worse, but they sure aren't getting better.
post #41 of 105
I think they will get worse the longer u watch those s channels. My st50 that I sold was horrible with burning in.
Just a thought. Does anyone think the new powerful brightness has anything to do with this burn problem? Just wondering.
post #42 of 105
Also I went and looked at a vt50 with 280 hours and it had burn in. I mean that is the best model and it gets burn in. This is not a thing of the past. It is a sacrifice made for a beautiful picture. I guess I just have to accept that.
post #43 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrok07 View Post

Also I went and looked at a vt50 with 280 hours and it had burn in. I mean that is the best model and it gets burn in. This is not a thing of the past. It is a sacrifice made for a beautiful picture. I guess I just have to accept that.

VT50 owner here 500 + hours guess what no hint of IR let alone permanent Burn In, hard to say what was done to that set in the store but I can almost guarantee you it was persistent IR at most.
post #44 of 105
I keep hearing people talk about heavy IR? If there is an image of a logo that won't go away after extended periods of washing and different content is that not burn in? I mean is there such thing as washing a tv for hundreds of hours and the burn-in (or heavy IR) going away?
post #45 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrok07 View Post

I keep hearing people talk about heavy IR? If there is an image of a logo that won't go away after extended periods of washing and different content is that not burn in? I mean is there such thing as washing a tv for hundreds of hours and the burn-in (or heavy IR) going away?

I know a guy that picked up a display model with what was classified as burn in reversed it in less than 100hrs
post #46 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I know a guy that picked up a display model with what was classified as burn in reversed it in less than 100hrs
What techniques did he use?
post #47 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrok07 View Post

What techniques did he use?

Used a reverse image of the IR I believe it was a forum member within the last year may have been a VT30 can't recall
post #48 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Used a reverse image of the IR I believe it was a forum member within the last year may have been a VT30 can't recall
That seems like a good idea ill give it a try
post #49 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

VT50 owner here 500 + hours guess what no hint of IR let alone permanent Burn In, hard to say what was done to that set in the store but I can almost guarantee you it was persistent IR at most.
While I'm definitely glad you don't have burn in my point was that no model is immune to it. I have a GT25 with 7400 hours and no burn in so I know not all panasonic plasmas acquire burn in but walking around on egg shells while watching tv can get a little old. I love plasmas but I'm here to tell you burn in happens and can even accidentally and not from abuse. From what I've seen so far there does not seem to be a proven formula that causes burn in nor a proven formula to remedy it. That said it does exist still and all panasonic models are susceptible.
post #50 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrok07 View Post

While I'm definitely glad you don't have burn in my point was that no model is immune to it. I have a GT25 with 7400 hours and no burn in so I know not all panasonic plasmas acquire burn in but walking around on egg shells while watching tv can get a little old. I love plasmas but I'm here to tell you burn in happens and can even accidentally and not from abuse. From what I've seen so far there does not seem to be a proven formula that causes burn in nor a proven formula to remedy it. That said it does exist still and all panasonic models are susceptible.

Point taken but I am one of the many examples of owners that have never had problems, I sill contend actual "Burn In" is very hard to cause, stubborn IR yes it happens although I have never witnessed it myself. If you have to walk around on egg shells then that is too bad because most plasma owners just watch it like any other tv

BTW I had a GT25 but its life was ended by an object impact it was a great set smile.gif
post #51 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrok07 View Post


That seems like a good idea ill give it a try

Wish I could find the exact posts here I'll continue to look
post #52 of 105
Panasonic TX-P42S20E
20% TV
80% Movies

It caught my attention first after ca. one year. It took me some time to understand it's a burn-in
because it's visibility is varying, so I thought it was related to temporary external influences.
But actually the visibility simply is related to the current picture.
Unfortunately, the first time I reported this to the Pana customer service wars shortly after the end
of the 24 month warranty. They recommended me to treat this problem by displaying or simulating
image-noise(which I did e.g. by using the "Pixel Flipper " of the Disney WoW disc) but it didn't help.
After almost one year of email conversation they asked me provide pictures of the problem, holding
out the prospect of some goodwill in cases when the warranty is only shortly over.-

After after they had gotten the pics, they refused any help, claiming

-the warranty was too long over by now
-the damage was my own fault, since I must have used bad picture settings etc.

This very unsatisfactory, since my first report of the damage to the customer ser vice was actually
only shortly after the warranty (and back then, they didn't tell me of possible goodwill), and I only used
recommended settings. Actually I had even asked the customer service about burn-in prevention before
I got the TV. I wrote back to them pointing this out, but so far am still waiting for reply :-(

post #53 of 105
These are the type of posts that scare me and make me want to hold on to my Kuro forever. As old as my tv is, I have never had to deal with IR of any kind let alone burn in. I think the new Panasonic's are better but I still see IR issues with them which still makes me nervous. Whatever Pioneer was doing, Panasonic should have snatched up that patent with regards to IR. A 2008 set should not be better at IR thana 2013 set, at least in my opinion.
post #54 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan1971HH View Post

Panasonic TX-P42S20E
20% TV
80% Movies

It caught my attention first after ca. one year. It took me some time to understand it's a burn-in
because it's visibility is varying, so I thought it was related to temporary external influences.
But actually the visibility simply is related to the current picture.
Unfortunately, the first time I reported this to the Pana customer service wars shortly after the end
of the 24 month warranty. They recommended me to treat this problem by displaying or simulating
image-noise(which I did e.g. by using the "Pixel Flipper " of the Disney WoW disc) but it didn't help.
After almost one year of email conversation they asked me provide pictures of the problem, holding
out the prospect of some goodwill in cases when the warranty is only shortly over.-

After after they had gotten the pics, they refused any help, claiming

-the warranty was too long over by now
-the damage was my own fault, since I must have used bad picture settings etc.

This very unsatisfactory, since my first report of the damage to the customer ser vice was actually
only shortly after the warranty (and back then, they didn't tell me of possible goodwill), and I only used
recommended settings. Actually I had even asked the customer service about burn-in prevention before
I got the TV. I wrote back to them pointing this out, but so far am still waiting for reply :-(

Doesn't matter if you bought the TV 2 years ago or 2 months ago, they do not cover burn-in or IR under their warranty. No matter what you tell them or the settings you tell them you used, whatever it is, it was your fault for watching whatever show caused the burn-in. If your contrast was on 80 it was to high, or on 70 it was still to high, or on 60 it was still to high. Your mistake was turning the TV on!

The funny thing is if you run the settings the TV ships with you will probably get burn-in or IR faster then with any other settings you would change on your own. lol
post #55 of 105
[quote name="Stefan1971HH" url="/t/1405166/do-you-have-image-burn-in-with-your-panasonic-plasma/30#post_23444506"

This very unsatisfactory, since my first report of the damage to the customer ser vice was actually
only shortly after the warranty (and back then, they didn't tell me of possible goodwill), and I only used
recommended settings. Actually I had even asked the customer service about burn-in prevention before
I got the TV. I wrote back to them pointing this out, but so far am still waiting for reply :-(

[/quote]

What are those images that are burned in and how did you get them? As long as you are not viewing the suspect images on a consistent basis in the future they will go away. They are not that severe.
post #56 of 105
It's a logo from a TV station that I had watched sometimes, but not excessively. The effect is there for approximately two years now,
with, as I said, its noticeability depending on the displayed picture.
post #57 of 105
Burn-in (yes/no)? - No
Model Number? - 2011 65" ST30
Number of Hours? - 2000 (+/-)
Break-in performed? - Yes, about 200 hours
Usage? - 30% movies, 0% games, 70% TV

A bit of temporary IR from time to time, but nothing that lasts, and I'll admit that I baby this TV.
Absolutely NO gaming allowed! (That's just asking for it IMO...so if 'your thing' is gaming get an LCD and reserve it just for that).

Its been a great TV with a wonderful picture!
post #58 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Used a reverse image of the IR I believe it was a forum member within the last year may have been a VT30 can't recall

And how does one do that?? HOw in the world would I be able to find a reversed image for anything. Not like companies go putting the extra money and time to fabricate them. And WHERE would I find something like this? So many people on this forum just assume that we'd know how to do half the stuff that is suggested. I have what I don't know is burn-in, but it's noticeable and annoying and rather disturbing. Even after wiping, running slides, pixel flipper, screen wipe, it is still there. I am really doing my best to actually treat this like a tv (st60) and "not worry" about it.

I'm feeling really disillusioned now. I go through periods of gaming and I"m frustrated at the fact that I have to make all these adjustments. It turns out that the IR, as i will refer to it presently, is from the two games... I notice that the white in some of the games is so bright it's blinding. Are there any slides or wipe images that are that bright and obnoxious? i feel that if I had something like that to try to remedy the situation and age the pixels more, that I will have a better time of it.

I hadn't gamed on this tv for almost 1800 hrs. So I can't really tell you is it's burn in until it doesn't go away. where there is a hud in the left bottom corner, it is the negative of the image that is presented. but it's 4 rows with alternating darkness, so i couldn't really say which row is the neg and which isn't. This theory is purely conjecture.

panasonic 55ST60 2013

break-in yes

gaming 30%
tv 50%
movies 20%
IR most definitely, after 1800 to 2000 hours of use
post #59 of 105
Funny the only complaints i really ever seem to read regard Panasonics.
post #60 of 105
Burn-in - no
Model Number - P50ST60, july -13
Number of Hours - around 250
Break-in performed (yes/no + no. of hours) - no not really, some slides and rolling bars just to check burn ins
Usage (70% movies, 20% games, 10% TV) - mostly logoless movies and net flix series, sports (i was most afraid about score sheets, but no problems so far), no games at all

settings out of the box except
-cinema mode
-sharpness 40
-sometimes i use black expander (1-2)

whites have slight blue tint and contrast could be slightly better. will get this calibrated in a few weeks.


Picture is taken from Event Horizon with Lumia620

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Do you have image burn-in with your Panasonic Plasma?