here's my story:
checked out 5 Best Buys here in LA in person, went in and asked for prices matches... none of them wanted to price match buytvtoday.com for US$2,599, had long conversations with all of them... then they checked out the additional sites I gave them: alltimetvs.com, eastcoasttvs.com, powersellernyc.com - all US$2,799.00
summary - all after long (time consuming) conversations:
1) first store wanted to match Amazon (US$3,169) plus tax - why would I buy from them if I get it from Amazon w/o tax... ? idiotic - this was "Magnolia Design Center" and they say they are not operated by BB employees
2) second store didn't wanna do anything until I left, then they offered me US$3,000 + tax out of the door... these wanna be sales people, first telling they can't adjust the price and then doing exactly that when you leave - and still more expensive than Amazon - idiotic
3) third store said they can only price match AUTHORIZED RESELLER (which none of the above websites are) - no offer at all
They told me that if you buy from a non-authorizes reseller (as these sites above) Panasonic will not give you full coverage / limited warranty... not sure if this is legal and true...
4) fourth store after 2 hours of conversation offered me US$2,899 - I literally had to do a Jack Bauer torture on them to go down to that price... only after they were trying to explain to me why they couldn't adjust the price - and some of these arguments were plain bogus and I caught them lying they started lowering the price - but they had 2 main arguments going that made sense (to some degree)
a) all of the above websites charge a return fee - some of them up to 15% - which BB does not - and they are non-authorized reseller
b) the "customer experience" must be equal to BB in order for them to price match - they argue BB has a much better "customer experience" (mainly based on their no-questions-asked return policy until 1/24), and I would agree
I was already annoyed 'cause this searching for a BB to price match was taking too much time, but I didn't take the offer as they were ********ting (lying) in some of their other argumentation just to talk their way out of a lower price
5) fifth store - this manager said he could match US$2,799 - I bet I could have hustled him to meet me halfway to buytvtoday.com at US$2,699 - but I already lost so much time with this thing, I lost more money than I saved if I just would have gotten some work done instead
I took the offer as this was the last store in my area... the young salesperson that handled the payment couldn't believe his eyes when he saw the price adjustment (he never seen a price adjustment before) - I got outta there asap before they changed their mind... another strange thing happened at checkout: I calculated the total on my iPhone and showed it to the salesperson and told him, only write everything up if you can ensure this is the final payment amount - he confirmed and I started filling out the BB member thingy so I get these reward points on this big purchase... when he rang me up, the total was US$50.00 higher than I calculated, he swiped my card then turning the screen to me, I asked him to hold on, what's with the price, he looks weird at me, I looked at the manager across the room to figure out what's going on - and then the salesperson turns the screen back and tells me "Oh look it just went down - I've never seen that before" and it was now showing the correct amount... don't ask me what the hell that was, I tried to figure out what they could have added (or not deducted yet) to end up exactly US$50.00 higher, no clue... but that was just very, very strange...
I always prefer to talk to people in person, but in this case it's probably better to email / call all of your local stores first (as some user's have done) and then only deal with the ones willing to negotiate to not waste so much time on this...