or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Is listening to rap music on magnepan frowned upon audiophiles?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is listening to rap music on magnepan frowned upon audiophiles?

post #1 of 128
Thread Starter 
I found this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQcOcJJk-E
A lot of people were giving him a hard time. I feel like they are his speakers. He should be able to listen to what he wants on them. I see a lot of people leave rude comments on youtube stereo videos.
For example,
If I was Magnepan I would do everything in my power to have this video removed.
EricShookRools
He probably stole them!!!
AudiophileTubes
post #2 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

Is listening to rap music on magnepan frowned upon.........?


no
next
post #3 of 128
All I got to say is welcome to the internet
post #4 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I found this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQcOcJJk-E
A lot of people were giving him a hard time. I feel like they are his speakers. He should be able to listen to what he wants on them. I see a lot of people leave rude comments on youtube stereo videos.
For example,
If I was Magnepan I would do everything in my power to have this video removed.
EricShookRools
He probably stole them!!!
AudiophileTubes

I'm a former Maggie owner and I listened to all kinds of music on them and enjoyed all of it. Frankly, I don't give a flip about what anyone else thinks about what music I play on my speakers.
post #5 of 128
Websites that allow for user feedback give them the opportunity to speak anonymously - for good or bad.
post #6 of 128
"I looked 'em up, prices are about $2000" - what a squid stick.

"He probably stole them!!!" - yup.
post #7 of 128
Rap music is frowned on by audiophiles, regardless of the speaker. The only recordings audiophiles like are technically excellent but artistically dull.
post #8 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Rap music is frowned on by audiophiles, regardless of the speaker. The only recordings audiophiles like are technically excellent but artistically dull.

haha totally agree with this comment!
on the suggested videos this one came up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cbJk...eature=related that is Audiophiles type of music which sounds dull and boring to me. I say listen to what you want when you want and enjoy the hell out of it.
post #9 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Rap music is frowned on by audiophiles, regardless of the speaker. The only recordings audiophiles like are technically excellent but artistically dull.

Some of them don't see any use for subs, either. LOL

Any hip hop, dance, rap, trance, trip hop, house, etc. music is frowned upon by old audiophiles. The nu-audiophile has a much broader palette (he says, while he listens to Dogzilla's Without You Ronald van Gelderen Remix)
post #10 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Rap music is frowned on by audiophiles...........

Malarkey.

WTF is an "audiophile", anyway?
post #11 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The only recordings audiophiles like are technically excellent but artistically dull.

Just one of the reasons DVD-A and SACD failed IMO.
post #12 of 128
I listen to death metal on my MartinLogan electrostats. So what? Listen to what you want on what speakers you want.
post #13 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Just one of the reasons DVD-A and SACD failed IMO.

I personally don't feel my favorite bands (Rush and Pink Floyd) are artistically dull, and each released a new DVD-A or SACD within the past year. I'm glad I'm not an audiophile .
post #14 of 128
Always kills me that people comment on youtube videos on what the speakers sound like : ) lol
post #15 of 128
Always kills me that people read the comments on YouTube videos.
post #16 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Always kills me that people read the comments on YouTube videos.

Sometimes I can't help but to notice the first two ("most popular") comments.

That kills me almost always. Usually it's just some idiot posting the funniest line in the vid, which is a complete spoiler, and then a heap of other idiots thumbing it up so it gets shoved at the top.

post #17 of 128
i dont think there is a video on youtube that somehow,someway doesn't end up turning racial.


obviously the kid isn't sure of what he has,i would have sent him a pm with an offer shipped. lol.
post #18 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post


Just one of the reasons DVD-A and SACD failed IMO.

Just browsing the SACD selection at Amazon makes me sleepy. I really hate the snobbish prejudice that the only good music is music for old folks. Really gives me the impression that a lot of these self-described audiophiles are a bunch of pretentious twats.
post #19 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Rap music is frowned on by audiophiles, regardless of the speaker. The only recordings audiophiles like are technically excellent but artistically dull.

Which questions whether audiophiles have anything to prove at all... no taste? no concept of science? At least got loads of $

Also the reason why rap probably sounds bad to them is because their inefficient speakers can't handle playing until peak volume.
post #20 of 128
Listening to rap on any kind of speakers is frowned upon

But yah, your average "audiophile" likes to brag about $100 cables and listens to Jazz through a pair of Sennheiser HD600 or AKG K701 *yawn* and don't think of anything with actual bass impact, you are "coloring" the sound!
post #21 of 128
You don't usually hear rap and Magnepan in the same sentence. My main speakers are Mag type speakers (hybrid ribbons.) I like all kinds of music but rap is not one of them. I do like some music that has a lot of bass to it, that's where my subs come into play.

This is an example of a song i play that has some solid bass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov073K6o0ZI

A bit more melodic but still bass comes into play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJDf1atIuBc&ob=av2e
post #22 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

You don't usually hear rap and Magnepan in the same sentence. My main speakers are Mag type speakers (hybrid ribbons.) I like all kinds of music but rap is not one of them. I do like some music that has a lot of bass to it, that's where my subs come into play.

This is an example of a song i play that has some solid bass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov073K6o0ZI

A bit more melodic but still bass comes into play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJDf1atIuBc&ob=av2e

Hey, thanks for the Jack Johnson! That song moves me, and I'm just sitting at work listening on headphones. I can't wait to get that cranking on my CDM-9NTs and LFM-1EX.
post #23 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

All I got to say is welcome to the internet

People have nothing better to do than argue about this? Beam me up, Scotty...
post #24 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

Listening to rap on any kind of speakers is frowned upon

But yah, your average "audiophile" likes to brag about $100 cables and listens to Jazz through a pair of Sennheiser HD600 or AKG K701 *yawn* and don't think of anything with actual bass impact, you are "coloring" the sound!

I would think that the people here that enjoy their audio/video would try and avoid blanket statements about their peers? Everyone is an individual, we ALL have different tastes/preferences.
post #25 of 128
My experience has been that audiophiles don't give a rat's tail what anyone else listens to on anything; why would they?

On the other hand, it may not make a lot of sense to use those speakers for rap, since they are dynamically limited and have no bass.

I would think that it would make more sense to use speakers that would do a better job, especially in the bass.

I guess it all depends on whether you think people who like rap "music" have adequate brain function to pick what will work best.





Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I found this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQcOcJJk-E
A lot of people were giving him a hard time. I feel like they are his speakers. He should be able to listen to what he wants on them. I see a lot of people leave rude comments on youtube stereo videos.
For example,
If I was Magnepan I would do everything in my power to have this video removed.
EricShookRools
He probably stole them!!!
AudiophileTubes
post #26 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

My experience has been that audiophiles don't give a rat's tail what anyone else listens to on anything; why would they?


I don't know. Why don't you tell us why they feel the need to judge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I just realized what the whole problem is here!

You guys are confusing heavy metal rock with actual MUSIC!!!

It's miserable distorted crap BEFORE it's ever recorded...duhhhh.
post #27 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I personally don't feel my favorite bands (Rush and Pink Floyd) are artistically dull, and each released a new DVD-A or SACD within the past year. I'm glad I'm not an audiophile .

I agree there are some good titles like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, but for every good title there are probably a hundred obscrue artists that are uninspiring and bland. Just nothing out there that mainstream music lovers would waste their time on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Just browsing the SACD selection at Amazon makes me sleepy. I really hate the snobbish prejudice that the only good music is music for old folks. Really gives me the impression that a lot of these self-described audiophiles are a bunch of pretentious twats.

I've been on a DVD-A, DTS CD, Dual Disc and SACD hunt lately and go through almost every page on Amazon and theres not much thats even remotely interesting. And the ones I do want are $150+ just for used title.
post #28 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet motel View Post

i would think that the people here that enjoy their audio/video would try and avoid blanket statements about their peers? Everyone is an individual, we all have different tastes/preferences.

+1
post #29 of 128
+2
post #30 of 128
+3 +4 and +5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Is listening to rap music on magnepan frowned upon audiophiles?