or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Strangest Bell 9241 audio problem EVER!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Strangest Bell 9241 audio problem EVER!!

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
My setup : Bell 9241, HDMI connect to Pioneer vsx 921 AVR, HDMI connected to an LG55" LED panel. Here is the issue.

When the Bell 9241 is outputting a dolby digital signal, the low frequencies lag. Let me explain. Whenever there is some sort of bass involved (perhaps around 120hz or less), JUST those sounds are delayed about a half second. If a door slams, you will hear it slam, then a low thud (the low portion of that sound) come a half second later. I only have front left/right and center channels hooked up. The AVR is set correctly. No sub, all speakers are set to large. Its very annoying, because when you hear someone speaking with a deep voice, the bass part of their voice is behind by a half second. It is the strangest thing ever. This happens if I am either watching live TV or a recording on my PVR.

As well, when I go into the Bell 9241 and change the settings to PCM only, it stops. I do however, lose the Dolby Digital and get only a stereo pair.

I have tried resetting the 9241, and the AVR. This is the strangest audio problem I have ever encountered. Anyone have any ideas?
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
Dang... over 20 views already and no clues... weird!
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1976 View Post

My setup : Bell 9241, HDMI connect to Pioneer vsx 921 AVR, HDMI connected to an LG55" LED panel. Here is the issue.

I only have front left/right and center channels hooked up. The AVR is set correctly. No sub, all speakers are set to large.
As well, when I go into the Bell 9241 and change the settings to PCM only, it stops. I do however, lose the Dolby Digital and get only a stereo pair.

I have tried resetting the 9241, and the AVR. This is the strangest audio problem I have ever encountered. Anyone have any ideas?

There is a reason why you can not use Doby Digital, is because you do not have rear surrounds. You only have a 3 channel, not a 3.1, but really could just classify it as a 2 channel system in reality.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
I understand what you are saying, however I just set the AVR to auto-detect its input and do what it will, and the 9241 is on auto output (DD and PCM) and let it do what it will. I should have stated before that this problem didnt occur until about a week ago (unless I just never noticed it, which is doubtful). When I watch The Daily Show with John Steward lately, and its in DD, (HDTV channel) and when he does a monologue its so obvious... the boominess in his voice when he speaks low trails by about a half second. So weird!

2 things I will try tonight : I will swap out the 9241 with a 6131 and see if the problem persists, with the same settings. I will also try to use a toslink audio cable to see if that makes any difference, and report back here. It is the strangest thing.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

There is a reason why you can not use Doby Digital, is because you do not have rear surrounds. You only have a 3 channel, not a 3.1, but really could just classify it as a 2 channel system in reality.

Not true! Dolby Digital will mix down to however many speakers you tell it you have. If you don't have rear surrounds, just turn them off in the setup menu.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post

Not true! Dolby Digital will mix down to however many speakers you tell it you have. If you don't have rear surrounds, just turn them off in the setup menu.

Yes, it will mix down, but only if you have the AVRS set up correctly. My guess is that the OP has not properly set up their equipment, along with a misunderstanding about the technology and how each inter-works with each other.

From the first post, it clearly states that there is a possibility of Operator Error. Still with no rears, only front speakers, there is no need to use Dolby Digital, nor any reason to place the AVRS in a mode for Surround Sound, when all of the key parts are not there.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1976 View Post

The AVR is set correctly. No sub, all speakers are set to large.

As well, when I go into the Bell 9241 and change the settings to PCM only, it stops. I do however, lose the Dolby Digital and get only a stereo pair.

IMO, if you only have a "stereo" system (no surrounds, no sub), leave the setting for PCM stereo and enjoy. You're not missing anything. The 9241 will downmix the DD signal to PCM stereo.

Worry about the "problem" (if it still exists) when you get surrounds and a sub.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

IMO, if you only have a "stereo" system (no surrounds, no sub), leave the setting for PCM stereo and enjoy. You're not missing anything. The 9241 will downmix the DD signal to PCM stereo.

Worry about the "problem" (if it still exists) when you get surrounds and a sub.

The OP said he had no surrounds but made no mention of center and sub. If those are not in the system, then you are right. If they are, he would be able to listen in 3.1.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post

The OP said he had no surrounds but made no mention of center and sub. If those are not in the system, then you are right. If they are, he would be able to listen in 3.1.

He stated he has a center and no sub.

Either way... if the AVR setup properly (speaker settings), PCM stereo is fine. And again, if the AVR is setup properly, DPL can redirect dialog for the center channel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Strangest Bell 9241 audio problem EVER!!