or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Weird digital morse code sound from powered Definitive BP7006s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weird digital morse code sound from powered Definitive BP7006s

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Love these, had them for a few years. Connected to a Denon 3806.

For a few years haven't had the extra power to plug them in, but I had a separate sub.

Now the sub needs to go and so I went to power up the 7006's, and as soon as I plug them in (Both of them) I get this VERY odd crackling scratchy hi pitch sound like someone is sending Morse code.

Turning up and down the base makes no difference.
Turning volume up and down makes no difference.
Cables/Connectors no difference.
Moved speaker away from TV or other possible field emitters
Tried plugging power into:
a.) Socket on back of Denon
b.) Same power brick
c.) Dedicated clean power off same socket
d.) Dedicated clean power off different socket
e.) Plugged into different circuit in house.

And STILL someone is trying to send me Morse code.

I've search good, the forum. Tried very hard to isolate this.

Only thing I haven't done is replace the fuses on the speakers.

Please tell me there is a VERY stupid simple answer to this?

Help me AVSForum, you are my only hope.
post #2 of 11
Is it that interference sound from mobile phones?
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Ok, so turns out I am debugging two different sounds

1.) is normal feedback foo that is probably just the wrong cables running parallel. Only shows occasionally.

2.) the second is the crazy sound that started this post.

Two new data points after a day of testing (including rewiring two electrical sockets)

A.) happens in another room on totally different circuit, side of house, and on different receiver

B.) happens even when NOT pugged into ANY audio source!!!

Sigh, so there is something wrong with my speaker :-(

So bummed
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoden View Post

Sigh, so there is something wrong with my speaker :-(

So bummed

Sounds like it. The only circuitry in the speaker is probably the crossover. I wonder if that's gone bad. It's just one speaker right?

Edit: it sounds like these are amplified speakers... so what I said above is incorrect...
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoden View Post

is normal feedback foo that is probably just the wrong cables running parallel. Only shows occasionally.

WTH does this mean!?! LOL

It sounds like the amplifier in the speakers is damaged. Prob a bad FET. The plateamp module is probably removable and DEF can send you a new one. Thing is though it was probably damaged from the get go but because you never tested it you're going to have to pay for a replacement. Let this be a lesson to others to check out ALL functionality of a product when you first take shipment as if you don't use a function and never test it you might find out later/to late that it doesn't work and you are now out of warranty.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Meaning that on the "good" speaker I do get occasional feedback that sounds like when you have a power cable inside the same cable run as a speaker wire. But I'm in the middle of rebuilding my entertainment center and so cables are everywhere I'm sure that it should be easy to figure out what is causing it. But I may be wrong, I'm a network engineer, not a sound engineer ;-)

The OTHER 7006, the sad broken one that makes the horrible Morse Code sound even with no sound source.... is well....sad and broken.
post #7 of 11
I take it you're referring to a 60Hz hum? That's not something that manifests as intermittent generally. You either have a hum or you don't BUT a fridge etc can be intermittent. I don't think you understand what the term feedback is bro...

Uhh won't they send you a new amp module? It should be an easy repair. I'd take it out and bring it to your local electronics shop that repairs amps. Take it to someone that's an authorized repair depot for a big name like Denon or Onkyo etc. Then you'll know the guy is a decent engineer. He should be able to diagnose what's wrong with it and perhaps even repair it. Ask to have a list of the parts count for the repair so you know the guy isn't scamming you. Shop hours is between $50 to perhaps $100 an hour and the repair shouldn't take more than one hour after it's diagnosed. Your manufacturer should also be aware what parts fail and they might even send you a schematic and a parts list for repair.

hmm... Many reports online of amp failure with those. Definitely a design FLAW in the amplifier circuits. I wonder if DT will have some class admit the design flaw and ship him the latest revision of that plate amp.

Does it "bus-pump" ?

DT fly on the wall! It's time to speak...

I've seen a lot of class D stuff kill SMPSs and bridge rectifier diodes... not sure why this is... actually the sound you describe and another dude in another thread talks about like Morris code... Yeah come to think of it I've seen that and it's related to rectifier diode failure. Just like the bad caps a number of years ago due to the mitz electrolyte formula industrial espionage that lead to all those bad caps in the market, I think a number of years ago a bunch of bad rectifier diodes ended up in consumer gear in a similar way...
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger dressler View Post

is it that interference sound from mobile phones?

+1
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoden View Post

Love these, had them for a few years. Connected to a Denon 3806.

For a few years haven't had the extra power to plug them in, but I had a separate sub.

Now the sub needs to go and so I went to power up the 7006's, and as soon as I plug them in (Both of them) I get this VERY odd crackling scratchy hi pitch sound like someone is sending Morse code.

Turning up and down the base makes no difference.
Turning volume up and down makes no difference.
Cables/Connectors no difference.
Moved speaker away from TV or other possible field emitters
Tried plugging power into:
a.) Socket on back of Denon
b.) Same power brick
c.) Dedicated clean power off same socket
d.) Dedicated clean power off different socket
e.) Plugged into different circuit in house.

And STILL someone is trying to send me Morse code.

I've search good, the forum. Tried very hard to isolate this.

Only thing I haven't done is replace the fuses on the speakers.

Please tell me there is a VERY stupid simple answer to this?

Help me AVSForum, you are my only hope.

Call Def Tech tomorrow, they'll help ya out!
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat444 View Post

+1

You figure that's a +1 ehh...

Personally I think it's about on pair with a $4 dollar an hour 800 call center support CSR response reading off of crib notes/que sheet.

I know it's basically "bus pumping" and killing the SMPS and it's bridge rectifier diodes due to POOR CLASS D DESIGN.

I wonder if I'll get a +1 from any of the regulars and industry insiders/audio mafia that hate me for my BRUTAL HONESTY...

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post


You figure that's a +1 ehh...


Yes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Weird digital morse code sound from powered Definitive BP7006s