or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › LG PA70G LED 1280x800 700 Lumens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG PA70G LED 1280x800 700 Lumens. - Page 51

post #1501 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

Garibay!

Your day finally arrived! smile.gif

Your 61 is on sale for 399 on fry's! Starting today!


yeah Imma order it tonight.....free shipping too, thanks for looking out for me...Im gonna pull the trigger but in back of my head still lingers the thought of the PA70G paired with a channel master HD tuner....I've briefly had the PB61U from beach camera and returned because it appeared that the box had been opened, what I noticed is that the tiny case on the PB61U makes it run hotter than the bigger brother the PA70G, and you know heat is the number 1 enemy of electronic components...PA70G runs cooler and is quieter, bottom line, if I knew for sure that the PA70G was going on sale for 399 again, I'd go the PA70G+channel master tuner (brighter/cooler) I can always have two projectors I guess:D:D
post #1502 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

DaGamePimp
We both thought of poor old garibay and his TV TUNER situation. smile.gif
It's the weekend, so hopefully you can sit back and relax and grab a brewski and figure out the LUMENS and lag, but only if you are in the MOOD and only if you only have 1 or 2 brewski's ... not a case. . biggrin.gif

While the built in tuner is a cool feature I have had poor reception experiences with the capability of built in tuners on a few devices (excluding most TV's).

Well my brewski would be sweet tea so that's even better... wide awake, no passing out and no hangover. wink.gif

The LUX readings will have to wait until early next week however since my new digital light meter is not showing up until Monday (was supposed to be here today but no luck rolleyes.gif).

The calibration and lag are things I do plan to do.

What I can say regarding the lag is that I have an HDtv behind the screen and can watch both at the same time with the screen up a bit. I have measured the tv at roughly 30ms in game mode and the PA70G has less input lag, the image will come into frame faster on the PA70G versus the HDtv. So good news there. biggrin.gif

Jason
post #1503 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

DaGamePimp
We both thought of poor old garibay and his TV TUNER situation. smile.gif
It's the weekend, so hopefully you can sit back and relax and grab a brewski and figure out the LUMENS and lag, but only if you are in the MOOD and only if you only have 1 or 2 brewski's ... not a case. . biggrin.gif


p.s. For pyrocro, yes it will work for over the air signals. And unencrypted cable stations. So good to go.

LOL, I've watching like a hawk and found it around midnight, it's not advertised on the weekend sale as you guys know. I have it in my shpping cart but Im hesitating a bit, I called frys online and a hot sounding (prolly fat) chick was really nice, she told me they have 100's of units in stock and there's no danger of selling out anytime soon. so, Im gonna wait a bit longer.....I love how cool the PA70 operates compared to the PB61, I had it for a few days and even in my cold room it was getting pretty hot, poor fans seem to be really working to suck and push the air to keep unit cool. my ideal projector would the PA70K but in the US version. I'll decide before I go to bed, but thanks again for watching out for a fellow projector fan, no pun:D
post #1504 of 2305
It sure doesn't sound like your heart is into the 61. You are conflicted. Makes sense.

Instead of the 61, I think if the 75k USA version was selling on fry's for 399 you would be in projector heaven.

Or get the 70g which fry's has in stock NOW when it goes on sale. It is a very cool PJ for the price of 399 (if in focus). cool.gif

I just had 70g session using the pc on a stick uhost 1A , and it was very nice, surfed the web, and used the hdmi port and the usb port for power for the uhost. Small and compact, wifi, apps, very COOL. smile.gif
post #1505 of 2305
Well tracking info was wrong and the Light Meter showed up. wink.gif

Will get that LUX info up soon.

Jason
post #1506 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

It sure doesn't sound like your heart is into the 61. You are conflicted. Makes sense.

Instead of the 61, I think if the 75k USA version was selling on fry's for 399 you would be in projector heaven.

Or get the 70g which fry's has in stock NOW when it goes on sale. It is a very cool PJ for the price of 399 (if in focus). cool.gif

I just had 70g session using the pc on a stick uhost 1A , and it was very nice, surfed the web, and used the hdmi port and the usb port for power for the uhost. Small and compact, wifi, apps, very COOL. smile.gif

fuuny how you've been wanting something for so long, and when it's staring you in the face to re-think it. I liked the 61 a lot except the HEAT, it just seems like it would kill it in no time. I have decided to wait for the PA70 ahen it goes on sale, not planing to use with computer so I can live with imperfect focus, the PA70 I had had perfect focus but returned it because the focusing ring only reached focus at the very end of the focusing range. regardless of the distance from wall.
400.00 PA70 plus Channel Master tuner 120.00 and I'll be a happy camper.biggrin.gif
post #1507 of 2305
can everyone kinda mention what part of the world they inhabit, just so we all know

Im in USA, SO CAL smile.gif
post #1508 of 2305
On making a Frankenstein hacked projector why use a 1024 x 768 resolution DMD chip from the LH HX300 inside the Frankenstein LG PA70G ?

The DMD chip in the LG PA70G has a higher resolution biggrin.gif

Maybe you can find a old case body from a old bulb based DLP projector and fix the guts i.e mother board, LED light source, power supply and retrofit it into a larger body and use a good quality glass lens ?

Maybe a good quality glass lens from a old DLP bulb based projector could ? would ? might line up and fix the Lens mount on the LGPA70G ?

How is the Lens from the NEC projector ? glass with zoom ? is the Lens housing the same diameter ? would the screw holes line up ?

Got to think outside the box.
post #1509 of 2305
Beautiful price with less pain biggrin.gif
post #1510 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

can everyone kinda mention what part of the world they inhabit, just so we all know

Im in USA, SO CAL smile.gif


haha and what was the first projector you've ever owned

mine was a NOVABEAM 3 crt with a silver curved screen on 2 legs, I think I bought at goodwill for 20 bucks:cool:
post #1511 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

can everyone kinda mention what part of the world they inhabit, just so we all know

Im in USA, SO CAL smile.gif


haha and what was the first projector you've ever owned

mine was a NOVABEAM 3 crt with a silver curved screen on 2 legs, I think I bought at goodwill for 20 bucks:cool:
post #1512 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

the label on the box doesn't show build date, only build date is on the projector itself, so you'd have to open the box

Bummer frown.gif ohh well

I would have thought in some way that could tell what date the product was manufactured even by the label on the outside.

How about asking FRYS when ordering to send the latest that came in their last shipment or do they have to rotate the stock ?
post #1513 of 2305
That $ 399 for that projector is less pain then I had when I bought my Infocus X2 almost 10 years ago.

That is what is great about our day, cool electronics that are far superior in performance but at a cheaper price, cheaper price less pain biggrin.gif

I bought my Infocus X2 10 years ago for I think $ 1,200 or $1,400 with only 800 X 600 resolution.

Even if you bought both of those projectors your still ahead of where I was 10 years ago with with a HDTV tuner.
post #1514 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

Bummer frown.gif ohh well

I would have thought in some way that could tell what date the product was manufactured even by the label on the outside.

How about asking FRYS when ordering to send the latest that came in their last shipment or do they have to rotate the stock ?

the batch my local store has now seems to be all 11/2012 build date. mine had excellent focus, but only focused at the end of the focusing ring range, and even the you had to use your nails to try and get it just perfect...so that made me nervous and took it back...so it seems like LG's answer to the bad focusing issue is to somehow limit the focusing range. in my first PA70 the focusing ring was so loose that when I turned the focusing ring the whole image would float around like 4" inches but I had it at 96" and the focus had a 1/4 of the travel left in it, second one...tight focus ring but limited focusing range....what was weird is I tried moving the projector to shoot a 60" image and the image reached focus exactly at the end of the focusing rage, same as the 96" image, go figure:eek:
post #1515 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Well tracking info was wrong and the Light Meter showed up. wink.gif

Will get that LUX info up soon.

Jason



Nice surprise. Thanks Jason!
post #1516 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

That $ 399 for that projector is less pain then I had when I bought my Infocus X2 almost 10 years ago.

That is what is great about our day, cool electronics that are far superior in performance but at a cheaper price, cheaper price less pain biggrin.gif

I bought my Infocus X2 10 years ago for I think $ 1,200 or $1,400 with only 800 X 600 resolution.

Even if you bought both of those projectors your still ahead of where I was 10 years ago with with a HDTV tuner.

I remember that one, never owned it but one of my old favs was the mitubishi HC1500, one of the best 720p projectors ever made in my opinion.
post #1517 of 2305
The LGPA70G would be a great stop gap projector with value with FRYS $ 399 deal until the more affordable LED 1080P projectors come down in price if it weren't for the infamous focus problems.

For me at this point in time I just got finished foxing my own car that cost a lot of money.

Even by doing the work myself it still cost me $ 300.

So I will have to start saving up money for the LGPA70G and a decent HDTV tuner.

I still have to get a electronic EGR valve for my car in hopes that fixes the no power up hills and the car shaking like a horse when accelerating.

Hope it's not the catalytic converter frown.gif

I thought about saving up to maybe buy the Acer K750 but I can live with 720 P until 2 years ? maybe for more affordable LED 1080P projectors with 3D

My wish list is the Panasonic PT RZ470 Laser Led projector biggrin.gif
post #1518 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

The LGPA70G would be a great stop gap projector with value with FRYS $ 399 deal until the more affordable LED 1080P projectors come down in price if it weren't for the infamous focus problems.

For me at this point in time I just got finished foxing my own car that cost a lot of money.

Even by doing the work myself it still cost me $ 300.

So I will have to start saving up money for the LGPA70G and a decent HDTV tuner.

I still have to get a electronic EGR valve for my car in hopes that fixes the no power up hills and the car shaking like a horse when accelerating.

Hope it's not the catalytic converter frown.gif

I thought about saving up to maybe buy the Acer K750 but I can live with 720 P until 2 years ? maybe for more affordable LED 1080P projectors with 3D

My wish list is the Panasonic PT RZ470 Laser Led projector biggrin.gif

I can't see myself paying 10,000 dollars for 20,000 hrs ($ 2.00 per Hour) of lamp projector life...think about it, some projectors have lamps that last up to 6,000 hrs and you replace lamp and have a new projector. it defeats the whole purpose, unless money is not an issue as it is with me., but that's just me:D
post #1519 of 2305
Ok just some preliminary LUX readings here for mode comparison sake, will likely do more in depth over the weekend.

@ 1 meter from lens using 1.5" sensor...

Sport mode with Contrast at 100 (for max output)

Energy Saving Mode / LUX

Minimum / 1300 = about 120 lumen's per sq.ft. @ 1 meter

Medium / 1080 = about 100 lumen's per sq.ft. @ 1 meter

Maximum / 850 = about 79 lumen's per sq.ft. @ 1 meter


Expert mode with Contrast set proper at 84 for no white crush / no color push...

Energy Saving Mode / LUX

Minimum / 1050 = about 97 lumen's per sq.ft

Jason
post #1520 of 2305
OK....I PULLED THE TRIGGER on the PB61U, haha...just clicked "place order" my final rationale is to use this lil projector until the LED 1080P projector in the 700-1000 lumen range become affordable. let's say the LG PB80U with real full 1080P 3D, and under 800-1200, it should be 2 years...wish me luck and will keep you posted..will try to learn how to post videos and pics. night;)
post #1521 of 2305
Reply LG Poland in the update, as usual, did not know of any updates! tongue.gif
post #1522 of 2305
Have now taken some readings at the screen and after some calculations...

It appears I am seeing roughly 300-330 lumen's on my 100" matte white (1.0 gain, 29.65 sq.ft) screen at about an 11' throw in a non-ideal room with off white walls and ceiling.

This is in 'Minimum' Energy Saving mode with the contrast at 85-100 (warm color temp as this is the closet factory preset to 6500K).

I have to say that I am somewhat shocked to see it so low as it appears much brighter than that to my eyes. Maybe there is some truth to the LED tech looking brighter, wish I had measured the unit when it was new out of the box since it now has a couple hundred hours on it and I don't know if it has lost anything yet (will track it from here forward though).

Will be interesting to see what kind of ftL reads I get when I calibrate as the first unit that I had was giving me 16 ftL at the screen with not many hours on it (which is not a 100% accurate figure).

I also have to assume that all of these calculations combined with the light meter will leave me with a margin of error... +/- 5 to 10%.

It is easy to see however that their spec claims are not meant for people using 100" screens at 11' throw in non-ideal rooms. It's obvious the spec comes at a much smaller screen size (less throw) and I can see how they can easily hit that 700 lumen claim (but to be honest it's going to be on a fairly small screen, certainly smaller than most are going to be using for home theater).

Hopefully I'll have some more good info to share over the weekend, although it's not likely many care at this point since this unit is probably going to be replaced with an updated model soon. wink.gif

Jason
post #1523 of 2305
DaGamePimp

I'm wondering if you can figure out at what range most of these PJ are measured at.

330 lumens doesn't seem that much. But I imagine that if you move any PJ far enough back, it would be 300 lumens.

So, say at 80 inch screen , in DARK ROOM, with perfect conditions what do you get.

Like you said you were not in ideal light conditions and you were showing at 11 feet probably on 110 inch screen.

I don't know how the other guys are measuring Lumens in doing these tests.

Also, I remember seeing in forums that the mits hc4000 which is 1300 lumens on paper gave measurements in around 400-600 lumens when someone else did comparisions between mits hc1000 and mits hc4000. So if it's something like that , it's 1/2 the lumens of paper spec. when at same screen size and room conditions.

Maybe with home measurements you have to compare 2 or 3 PJ's at same time. If you have another PJ in your home, under the same conditions, maybe do test, and give stated spec and actual lumens. If both are 1/2 of stated lumens, than that's good news. But if your other PJ is close to stated spec and the 70g is 1/2 of stated spec, that is not good news.
post #1524 of 2305
Anyone already measured output lumens? Thanks for the answer!
post #1525 of 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Have now taken some readings at the screen and after some calculations...

It appears I am seeing roughly 300-330 lumen's on my 100" matte white (1.0 gain, 29.65 sq.ft) screen at about an 11' throw in a non-ideal room with off white walls and ceiling.

This is in 'Minimum' Energy Saving mode with the contrast at 85-100 (warm color temp as this is the closet factory preset to 6500K).

I have to say that I am somewhat shocked to see it so low as it appears much brighter than that to my eyes. Maybe there is some truth to the LED tech looking brighter, wish I had measured the unit when it was new out of the box since it now has a couple hundred hours on it and I don't know if it has lost anything yet (will track it from here forward though).

Will be interesting to see what kind of ftL reads I get when I calibrate as the first unit that I had was giving me 16 ftL at the screen with not many hours on it (which is not a 100% accurate figure).

I also have to assume that all of these calculations combined with the light meter will leave me with a margin of error... +/- 5 to 10%.

It is easy to see however that their spec claims are not meant for people using 100" screens at 11' throw in non-ideal rooms. It's obvious the spec comes at a much smaller screen size (less throw) and I can see how they can easily hit that 700 lumen claim (but to be honest it's going to be on a fairly small screen, certainly smaller than most are going to be using for home theater).

Hopefully I'll have some more good info to share over the weekend, although it's not likely many care at this point since this unit is probably going to be replaced with an updated model soon. wink.gif

Jason


Jason -

Thank you for taking the time to record the measurements and post them here.

I'm a little surprised at the 300-330 lumen output. That's 42-47% of list of 700. That seems a bit low in comparison with the other LEDs, (inline with the K750) but I bet the big screen factored large in those numbers. No matter, you all seem to love the little guy and that is what has me interested in an LED.

I would also agree that LED's may be brighter on some kind of new scale. There is a short article put out by Runco that explores the brain's reaction to LED's. Apparently the article was produced in response to Runco receiving feedback that the listed lumen spec was "too low" on their Q-750i LED projector. I saw the PDF on another thread - I'll get the link posted on here shortly.

Thank you again.
Edited by David44 - 1/26/13 at 9:04am
post #1526 of 2305
Here is the Runco article concerning LED brightness:

http://www.runco.com/downloads/Other/Runco%20Out%20of%20the%20Box%20Brightness.pdf


edit - adding link to AVS thread where LED brightness related to runco was discussed - post #68 ~ 74.
Edited by David44 - 1/26/13 at 9:05am
post #1527 of 2305
We might want to give DaGamePimp time to figure out how to use his new Light meter, he just got it last night. It is nice he is sharing lumen info after using his meter for first time, but he might want to set up 2 PJ's next to each other and test them under same conditions. And then give lumen paper specs and his real time numbers.
Also, unless there is a online way to measure lumens in home settings that everybody goes by, we might not have the way the people that do pro reviews do it. Do Pro sites give method they use as standardized testing method.
I'm sure he is looking into all that. I look forward to his updates over the weekend.
post #1528 of 2305
Well the meter is pretty straight forward as it just gives a LUX reading, not much to mess up there (and as I said there is a margin of error).

Then using the conversion calculators that are available along with figuring in screen size & gain.

It's all fairly straight forward but also my understanding that you cannot expect exact results, so my findings are simply in the ballpark and not precise.

I will test/measure my Panasonic AE4000 soon and see how that does in comparison (although that is in a different and far more ideal room throwing onto a 133" matte 16:9 screen).

The LUX readings are about 10x higher at 1 meter versus at my screen so they can hit their rated lumen spec but I would guesstimate that it is going to be on about a 60"-70" screen.

I do not know what the projector manufacturers use to obtain their specs, although I do have a local friend that was one of the tech/design leads at InFocus so I'll shoot him a PM, aside from that it's likely they do not all use the same method anyway.

Jason
post #1529 of 2305
FRYS $ 399 deal for the LGPA70G for 20,000 hours of use is less pain. biggrin.gif

If I buy I will get the LGPA70G over the PB61U because it had more Lumens and larger case to help in ventilation for heating purposes.
post #1530 of 2305
I'm debating if I should hold for LGPA70G to go back on sale for 399 @ frys or jump on LGPB60G for 350 ? any suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › LG PA70G LED 1280x800 700 Lumens.