or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Problem playing Digital 8/Hi8 Tapes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Problem playing Digital 8/Hi8 Tapes

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hi guys,

I'd appreciate if someone could help me here.

I have a Sony Hi8 Handycam - model CCD-TRV218E. Never had any problems with it playing our/friends tapes over the years, until a different friend gave me some of his tapes to convert to DVD for him. When I play his tapes, all I get is a blue screen or a "snowy" screen with all the white/grey distortion.

Some of his tapes say "Digital 8" on them and others say "Hi8" although they also say "Super HMP" on them.

Sadly, we can't use his camera to convert the tapes as his is no longer working.

Any ideas guys? Is my camera not compatible with the tapes for some reason? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm stumped right now!

Thanks!
post #2 of 14
Tape head cleaner! Just recommended that in another thread, save a guys life! :-)
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post

Tape head cleaner! Just recommended that in another thread, save a guys life! :-)

Thanks for the reply! You think that would do it? The camera is still playing other tapes, just not my friend's tapes...
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.81 View Post

I have a Sony Hi8 Handycam - model CCD-TRV218E. Never had any problems with it playing our/friends tapes over the years, until a different friend gave me some of his tapes to convert to DVD for him. When I play his tapes, all I get is a blue screen or a "snowy" screen with all the white/grey distortion.

Some of his tapes say "Digital 8" on them and others say "Hi8" although they also say "Super HMP" on them.

What sort of camera did your friend use? Was it a Digital8 video camera? If so, then you won't be able to use your Hi8 Handycam to play back the tapes.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatical View Post

What sort of camera did your friend use? Was it a Digital8 video camera? If so, then you won't be able to use your Hi8 Handycam to play back the tapes.

Correct

OP: it sounds like your friends camcorder is Digital 8, whereas yours is analog. The Digi 8 cam can still record a digital signal to a tape marked Video8 or Hi-8, so there is no way that your camera can play these tapes. A Digital-8 camcorder will play Video-8, Hi-8, and Digital-8 tapes.
post #6 of 14
See,

That's what I get for skimming the paragraph! LOL Yeah, sounds like a compatibility issue.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies guys! I've told my friend and he's gonna get a Digital 8 camcorder from eBay and then we'll try again .

Thanks for your help!
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, would this do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sanyo-digi...item2ebd56361f

Looks kind of old to me...but it says it's a Digital 8mm?

Thanks in advance!
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.81 View Post

Hey guys, would this do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sanyo-digi...item2ebd56361f

Looks kind of old to me...but it says it's a Digital 8mm?

Thanks in advance!

Should do, it says Digital 8 on the box. The only thing to consider is whether it is a PAL or NTSC camera, and which format you require.

PAL = 576i/50 fields per second for UK, Europe, Australia, NZ
NTSC = 480i/60 fields per second for North America.

I would look for a Sony if I were you.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thank you for the reply! We just want it to play his old tapes so we can convert them to DVD...so it might do. But maybe we'll go for a Sony, there's a few on there also.

Thanks!
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.81 View Post

Hey guys, would this do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sanyo-digi...item2ebd56361f

Looks kind of old to me...but it says it's a Digital 8mm?

Thanks in advance!

No, that isn't a Digital8 camcorder. It's just a very old Video8 camcorder.
post #12 of 14
i have had HI8 and digital 8 for many years,i always used Sony so i never had a compatibility issue,but i remember reading many many times about tapes recorder on one camcorder may not play in another camcorder, i assumed it meant different brands.

is you cam and his old cam the same brand?
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpers View Post

i have had HI8 and digital 8 for many years,i always used Sony so i never had a compatibility issue,but i remember reading many many times about tapes recorder on one camcorder may not play in another camcorder, i assumed it meant different brands.

is you cam and his old cam the same brand?

The issue is that the OP has a Hi8 camcorder, while his friend used a Digital8 camcorder to record the tape. They both use the same tapes but one is digital (Digital8) while the other is Analog (Hi8).

A Digital8 camcorder can play Digital8 tapes, Video8 tapes and Hi8 tapes.

A Hi8 camcorder can only play Video8 tapes and Hi8 tapes.

The OP will need to buy a Digital8 camcorder. He might want to get the same brand of camcorder that his friend originally used, but in practice it shouldn't matter.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your help guys. Got a Sony Digital 8 camera (basically the same as my Hi8 one; same casing and everything) and it plays the tapes. Sorted.

Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Problem playing Digital 8/Hi8 Tapes