or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › State of the Kuro: where the 9G is being surpassed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

State of the Kuro: where the 9G is being surpassed - Page 2

post #31 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I'm suprised this thread haven't turned into a flame war resulting in a pad lock on it.

A start this thread yearly, since Pioneer quit. Curios about the state of the art. No flaming in the past, check my posts.

BTW, I would ask D-Nice if he would change an 8G for a Panny/Sammy plasma 2012 (picture quality overall)
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutarsky View Post

A start this thread yearly, since Pioneer quit. Curios about the state of the art. No flaming in the past, check my posts.

BTW, I would ask D-Nice if he would change an 8G for a Panny/Sammy plasma 2012 (picture quality overall)

I'm not accusing you of starting flame wars. I just know how this subject can get.
post #33 of 47
Thread Starter 
You see? One year now on and no flaming wink.gif

So, what expectations we've got for this year's new models?
post #34 of 47
Black levels: beaten by local dimming LED, unmatched by other Plasmas
Contrast: on par with local dimming LED
Color decoding: just about everything has a good CMS now
Motion Sharpness: beaten by any of the better Plasmas and LED sets.
Overall picture: significantly worse than LED. Lots of dithering and posterisation, ABL dimming, phosphor trails.
post #35 of 47
Thread Starter 
Please list here any known model/brand smile.gif
post #36 of 47
There are many. Even on size alone the 80" and 90" 2K Sharp's surpass it in viewing experience. If you are looking at just benchmarks the current Elites and VT50 are superior in some categorizes. If you want tech that surpasses it, you are looking at the new Panasonic ZT60, 55" LG OLED, 85" 4K Samsung and any of the 84" 4K LG/Sony/Toshiba sets. Also there are number of sub $5000 LG 65" 4K and Chinese 4K sets later this year.
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutarsky View Post

You see? One year now on and no flaming wink.gif

So, what expectations we've got for this year's new models?

Thank you so much for "necro-ing" this thread. There is a real dearth of important Kuro discussion on throughout AVS right now and this will really improve things.
post #38 of 47
^lol Mr. Snark.

I'm not so sure I would point to 4K Chinese sets as being superior to the Kuro, btw...not likely to be the case in anything but rez. The new Panasonic and Samdung just might measure up to the Kuro in the black level dept. if not dethrone it, and then there's that 3D niche for those who need it.
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^lol Mr. Snark.

I love this.

Check under my name to the left. <
post #40 of 47
Ooh, the honor is all mine! I was just building on my Mr. Condescension theme from prior.
post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^lol Mr. Snark.

I'm not so sure I would point to 4K Chinese sets as being superior to the Kuro, btw...not likely to be the case in anything but rez. The new Panasonic and Samdung just might measure up to the Kuro in the black level dept. if not dethrone it, and then there's that 3D niche for those who need it.

Well if he is touting specs like Kuro's 0.0005ft black levels being superior to lesser sets with a 0.0010ft when the human eye can hardly tell the difference, than a doubling of resolution from 1080p to 2160p should be just as significant.
post #42 of 47
"hardly tell the difference" is up for debate. Given a light-controlled room and the appropriate content (i.e. a star-filled night), the difference can be noticeable. 4K would also be significant, if there was content to match it and one was sitting at an appropriate seating distance. The benefits of the Kuro outweigh 4K at the present time. When that might change is dependent on a number of factors, not the least of which is a standardized 4k content delivery medium.
post #43 of 47
^^^Skyfall looks better on my kuro than on the sony 4K set. Bad black levels is one of the reasons.
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

^^^Skyfall looks better on my kuro than on the sony 4K set. Bad black levels is one of the reasons.

Skyfall is not one of the 10 4K movies on the Sony 4K server. They are:


The Amazing Spiderman
Total Recall (2012)
The Karate Kid (2010)
Salt
Battle Los Angeles
The Other Guys
Bad Teacher
That’s My Boy
Taxi Driver
The Bridge on the River Kwai

Also a 4K demo unit in a brightly lit Sony store can not be compared to a calibrated Kuro in a light controlled environment. If I beamed a flashlight at your Kuro, a 13" Coby LCD would have a better picture. Guess we will have to wait for the VE shootout this year. Hope they can get all the new units like the 4K Samsung 85", Sony 84" and 65" Hisense along with the top of the line plasma ZT60 and the new 55" LG OLED. That would be the shootout of legends right there.
post #45 of 47
^What he said. Man, I'm getting it from both sides, can't win. tongue.gif
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Skyfall is not one of the 10 4K movies on the Sony 4K server. They are:


The Amazing Spiderman
Total Recall (2012)
The Karate Kid (2010)
Salt
Battle Los Angeles
The Other Guys
Bad Teacher
That’s My Boy
Taxi Driver
The Bridge on the River Kwai

Also a 4K demo unit in a brightly lit Sony store can not be compared to a calibrated Kuro in a light controlled environment. If I beamed a flashlight at your Kuro, a 13" Coby LCD would have a better picture. Guess we will have to wait for the VE shootout this year. Hope they can get all the new units like the 4K Samsung 85", Sony 84" and 65" Hisense along with the top of the line plasma ZT60 and the new 55" LG OLED. That would be the shootout of legends right there.

Oh, you were there with me to know if the room i was in was "brightly lit"? Jesus you people sure know how to jump to conclusions and make terrible assumptions. It wasn't bright in the room, the TV has its own viewing area with couches and it was dark. How else would i tell if the sony had bad black levels? I never said anything about the lighting conditions yet you somehow knew what the lighting conditions were. F me.
post #47 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

There are many. Even on size alone the 80" and 90" 2K Sharp's surpass it in viewing experience. If you are looking at just benchmarks the current Elites and VT50 are superior in some categorizes. If you want tech that surpasses it, you are looking at the new Panasonic ZT60, 55" LG OLED, 85" 4K Samsung and any of the 84" 4K LG/Sony/Toshiba sets. Also there are number of sub $5000 LG 65" 4K and Chinese 4K sets later this year.

Thanks:)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › State of the Kuro: where the 9G is being surpassed