or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony HX750 vs. HX850?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony HX750 vs. HX850? - Page 2

post #31 of 80
Anyone that is trying to decide between the 750 and 850...there really is no decision! If the 850 is out of your budget, look at a different tv maker. I have compared them both (my uncle just got the 750) and the black level on the 750 is so bad that it ruins an otherwise good picture. The black level on the 850 is quite good which results in a picture with way more pop and depth because the contrast is so much better.
Honestly for about the same price you will pay for a 55"hx750 you could have a 60" panasonic ST50 or GT50 which will blow away the PQ of either of these TV's! But if you must go LED/LCD its gotta be the hx850 (or XBR929) or nuthin! Otherwise save some money and get the same or better picture out of a lower end Samsung, LG, Vizio etc.
post #32 of 80
Just found a Consumer Report Buying Guide. Here is their review score on 2 Sony tvs: The HX850 scored 72 and the HX750 scored 69 The HX750 had a higher score on 3D performance. Both tvs scored "Excellent" in HD picture quality. The HX850 has a gloss screen affecting picure quality in daytime with windows or night with lights on. The HX750 has matte screen which is better for daytime viewing with windows or night with lights on. In side by side comparison in dark room the HX850 has better picture than HX750 but not a great deal better as in a comparison to HX950. There are calibration adjustments that you can make to the HX750 that improves the black levels a great deal. I chose the HX750 for the above reasons and the cheaper price and love the tv. I can also understand someone buying the HX850 for a bit better picture and if they have a tv viewing room where they can control the day or night time light. We are not going to close all of the curtains in our family room everytime we want to watch tv because of the mirror image - reflection - created from a gloss screen or turn off all of the lights at night to watch evening tv programing. It's a little too simple to say the HX850 is better than the HX750. In a dark room it clearly is a better tv and if if that is how you plan on watching all of your tv viewing go for it. Choosing the HX750 for the reasons that I mentioned is also a good way to go.
post #33 of 80
In all faireness, there are only 2 reason you would not take the HX850 vs the HX750. Cost and reflection.

If you have a huge windows casting a reflection on your TV, than the HX750 might be a better for you.

Technically speaking, the HX850 is an all around much better TV than the HX750. The local dimming tech on the HX850 is miles better than the HX850, view angle will be a bit better on the HX850 thanks to the panel it's using (same as the HX929).

Seriously, unless you can't afford it or have a big window right next to the TV, the HX850 is the obvious choice. That's not saying the HX750 is not a good TV, the HX850 is just better on almost every levels.
post #34 of 80
Agree hx850 is better than hx750. It's the difference between the x reality pro engine vs the x reality engine. But the highest rate tv is a panasonic plasma and another high rated tv is the sony hx950. Problem with all of these tvs is the incredible glare off of the screen in a typical family room with windows and lights. Sharp and Phillips are working on something called "moth-eye" tv panels that finally address the glare issue. Price difference between hx850 and hx750 wasn't an issue with me. Glare was an issue and the difference between picture quality wasn't enough for me to choose the hx850. I would go all out and get the hx950 if it was just about picture quality. I have been to plenty of friends houses that never considered glare and it's a lousy experience watching a football game at their houses on a Saturday afternoon. It's not a problem at my house because the hx750 still does a very good job in the picture quality area along with a lot less glare. Whenever the day comes that someone has a top rated tv with minimal glare, I'm in.
post #35 of 80
I am waiting for that day where we have no gorilla glass TVs that boost contrast at the expense of reflection. I will stick with my excellent XBR4 till then.
post #36 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Wow what a ridiculous reply. Gorilla Glass as a plus over the 750? This isn't a cell phone. Granted if the room has zero windows and is dark as all get out, then Gorilla Glass can be noted as a "slick addition". Then again, if it's going in a bedroom, chances are the TV wont be seen by as many that would see the 929 in the living room. If money is no issue, then certainly get the higher model. But to think the 750 cant achieve black levels akin to the 850 just indicates a lack of trying (it took me 8 minutes to find the right settings for this). I have a 750 with black levels matching that of my 2011 820. Knowlegde is power folks.


+1

This is an old post but I agree 100%.
post #37 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

I am waiting for that day where we have no gorilla glass TVs that boost contrast at the expense of reflection. I will stick with my excellent XBR4 till then.

The gorilla glass on my hx950 is gorgeous. That being said, it's also a dust magnet. I feel like I have to dust it every few days. The matte screen on my 55 LCD wega to this day never needs dusting.
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

The gorilla glass on my hx950 is gorgeous. That being said, it's also a dust magnet. I feel like I have to dust it every few days. The matte screen on my 55 LCD wega to this day never needs dusting.


Is it me cmay or are our tv's just dust magnets period? Everytime I turn around my tv is dusty as hell! Gets anoying at times.
post #39 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverotties View Post

Agree hx850 is better than hx750. It's the difference between the x reality pro engine vs the x reality engine. But the highest rate tv is a panasonic plasma and another high rated tv is the sony hx950. Problem with all of these tvs is the incredible glare off of the screen in a typical family room with windows and lights. Sharp and Phillips are working on something called "moth-eye" tv panels that finally address the glare issue. Price difference between hx850 and hx750 wasn't an issue with me. Glare was an issue and the difference between picture quality wasn't enough for me to choose the hx850. I would go all out and get the hx950 if it was just about picture quality. I have been to plenty of friends houses that never considered glare and it's a lousy experience watching a football game at their houses on a Saturday afternoon. It's not a problem at my house because the hx750 still does a very good job in the picture quality area along with a lot less glare. Whenever the day comes that someone has a top rated tv with minimal glare, I'm in.

"It's the difference between the x reality pro engine vs the x reality engine."

This is incorrect. Those two engines refer strictly to the up-scaling abilities of SD content and making it look more presentable on an HD screen. It has nothing to do with the HD content the set would display. So yeah, in a sense, if you are heavily watching SD all the time on these sets then these engines would factor into it.
post #40 of 80
Don't know if I'm following your comment. The x reality pro provides a better tv image than x reality. It's on the highest rated hx950 and not on the hx750. The sony site provides the difference between the two. " X-Reality Pro gives you the smart image processing technique of X-Reality and adds an extra dimension of image clarity. It includes the Reality Creation Database that makes even standard definition movies closer to HD quality. Shapes instantly become smoother, sharper and more defined. The result – the most awe-inspiring picture we’ve ever created."
post #41 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

"It's the difference between the x reality pro engine vs the x reality engine."

This is incorrect. Those two engines refer strictly to the up-scaling abilities of SD content and making it look more presentable on an HD screen. It has nothing to do with the HD content the set would display. So yeah, in a sense, if you are heavily watching SD all the time on these sets then these engines would factor into it.


+1


Agreed gator.
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverotties View Post

Don't know if I'm following your comment. The x reality pro provides a better tv image than x reality. It's on the highest rated hx950 and not on the hx750. The sony site provides the difference between the two. " X-Reality Pro gives you the smart image processing technique of X-Reality and adds an extra dimension of image clarity. It includes the Reality Creation Database that makes even standard definition movies closer to HD quality. Shapes instantly become smoother, sharper and more defined. The result – the most awe-inspiring picture we’ve ever created."

In short, that's a punch of marketing hoopla. Here is the only part that is even remotely relevant from their statement: " It includes the Reality Creation Database that makes even standard definition movies closer to HD quality. Shapes instantly become smoother, sharper and more defined." And even that is debatable.

Those engines are big on noise reduction (if you so choose as to even activate them in the settings menu) such as "correcting" MPEG, Random and Dot noise.

Basically I'll put it like this: Unless you're strictly viewing average quality internet streamed video, SD cable or anything below a 720p picture, you will never be able to tell what, if anything, the X-Reality engines are even doing. It's just marketing and debatably unnecessary tech.
post #43 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

In short, that's a punch of marketing hoopla. Here is the only part that is even remotely relevant from their statement: " It includes the Reality Creation Database that makes even standard definition movies closer to HD quality. Shapes instantly become smoother, sharper and more defined." And even that is debatable.

Those engines are big on noise reduction (if you so choose as to even activate them in the settings menu) such as "correcting" MPEG, Random and Dot noise.

Basically I'll put it like this: Unless you're strictly viewing average quality internet streamed video, SD cable or anything below a 720p picture, you will never be able to tell what, if anything, the X-Reality engines are even doing. It's just marketing and debatably unnecessary tech.


I hate to say it gator your are right on the mark what your saying. Marketing hoopla is a big part not only for Sony but alot of other manufacturers as well. I have seen the HX750 and 850 side by side and the only difference I could tell is the Gorilla Glass. Otherwise PQ looked identicle to me and I have read that 3D, if you like it, is much better on the 750.........its just what I have read anyway,
post #44 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I hate to say it gator your are right on the mark what your saying. Marketing hoopla is a big part not only for Sony but alot of other manufacturers as well. I have seen the HX750 and 850 side by side and the only difference I could tell is the Gorilla Glass. Otherwise PQ looked identicle to me and I have read that 3D, if you like it, is much better on the 750.........its just what I have read anyway,

Side by side in a store, I grant you, you will notice minimal changes. Go into a dark room and this is where the quality difference between the HX750 and Hx850 starts to show.

Beside the X-reality feature which I agree is more marketing gimmick, what the Hx850 has over the HX750 is a better panel to start with. you get deeper blacks and better view angle compared to the Hx750. The Monolith design is mostly visual but it does provide enhancement with color and espicially making black to be darker.

If you only mostly watch your TV in a bright room or during the day, then spending more for the HX850 might not be worth it. If you spend a significant amount of time watching in a darker room, at night, etc, then the HX850 will provide you with a better picture overall.

It always depends on if you are willing to spend the extra money for the added feature/PQ improvement. Timming is also everything. I've seen the HX850 cheaper than the HX750 at some point because of store special but the MSRP pricing does make the HX750 a more attractive Set. The HX750 still is a pretty darn good TV by any mind. the HX850 is just better.
post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Side by side in a store, I grant you, you will notice minimal changes. Go into a dark room and this is where the quality difference between the HX750 and Hx850 starts to show.

Beside the X-reality feature which I agree is more marketing gimmick, what the Hx850 has over the HX750 is a better panel to start with. you get deeper blacks and better view angle compared to the Hx750. The Monolith design is mostly visual but it does provide enhancement with color and espicially making black to be darker.

If you only mostly watch your TV in a bright room or during the day, then spending more for the HX850 might not be worth it. If you spend a significant amount of time watching in a darker room, at night, etc, then the HX850 will provide you with a better picture overall.

It always depends on if you are willing to spend the extra money for the added feature/PQ improvement. Timming is also everything. I've seen the HX850 cheaper than the HX750 at some point because of store special but the MSRP pricing does make the HX750 a more attractive Set. The HX750 still is a pretty darn good TV by any mind. the HX850 is just better.

You made some good points except for the last one Guibs. I don't agree when you say that the HX850 is just better......I don't agree at all but that is just my view.
post #46 of 80
still not buying it on x reality vs x reality pro. i googled it and read a few other reviews and pro gives better picture. if not, it wouldnt be on hx950. i'll change my opinion only if a rep from sony posts here and tells met i'm wrong which is not going to happen. as far as hx850 vs hx750 - the hx850 in side by side comparison has better picture. my eyes do not deceive me. does it provide a $500 more of a better picture? not to me - that's why i chose the hx750. after calibrating to most of steve's post, i am very satisfied. if the hx850 had a matte screen and was $200 more i would buy it. if it were any higher i would stay with the hx750. bottom line for me after having my hx750 for a month i would still make the same purchase with zero regrets. the hx850 is better but not a great deal better. my opinion and i'm sticking with it.
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverotties View Post

still not buying it on x reality vs x reality pro. i googled it and read a few other reviews and pro gives better picture. if not, it wouldnt be on hx950. i'll change my opinion only if a rep from sony posts here and tells met i'm wrong which is not going to happen. as far as hx850 vs hx750 - the hx850 in side by side comparison has better picture. my eyes do not deceive me. does it provide a $500 more of a better picture? not to me - that's why i chose the hx750. after calibrating to most of steve's post, i am very satisfied. if the hx850 had a matte screen and was $200 more i would buy it. if it were any higher i would stay with the hx750. bottom line for me after having my hx750 for a month i would still make the same purchase with zero regrets. the hx850 is better but not a great deal better. my opinion and i'm sticking with it.


You have a right to stick by your opinion as we all have the right as well. Me? I bought the HX750 because 1 I didnt like the reflection of the Gorilla Glass and 2 I didnt feel the need to spend more money on a tv that PQ wise looks no different then the HX750 with the lights on or off. There is also another big reason why I choose my HX750 BUT I aint going to reveal those details......all I can say is its not your run of the mill HX750. Enough of that...anyway. That being said the HX850 is a great tv and it deserves the high praise it has recieved. And thats my opinion and I am sticking to it! lol
post #48 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Wow what a ridiculous reply. Gorilla Glass as a plus over the 750? This isn't a cell phone. Granted if the room has zero windows and is dark as all get out, then Gorilla Glass can be noted as a "slick addition". Then again, if it's going in a bedroom, chances are the TV wont be seen by as many that would see the 929 in the living room. If money is no issue, then certainly get the higher model. But to think the 750 cant achieve black levels akin to the 850 just indicates a lack of trying (it took me 8 minutes to find the right settings for this). I have a 750 with black levels matching that of my 2011 820. Knowlegde is power folks.

Never saw your post last year - BUT gorilla class is one of the reasons I and others have chose the 2011/2012 sony lines over similar models. It definitely provides a premium feel and it all depends on the user, you obviously don't care for it but I find it quite amazing. Guess whatever fits in your budget works best!
post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

You have a right to stick by your opinion as we all have the right as well. Me? I bought the HX750 because 1 I didnt like the reflection of the Gorilla Glass and 2 I didnt feel the need to spend more money on a tv that PQ wise looks no different then the HX750 with the lights on or off. There is also another big reason why I choose my HX750 BUT I aint going to reveal those details......all I can say is its not your run of the mill HX750. Enough of that...anyway. That being said the HX850 is a great tv and it deserves the high praise it has recieved. And thats my opinion and I am sticking to it! lol

"not your run of the mill". My curiosity is now peaked.
post #50 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregck View Post

Never saw your post last year - BUT gorilla class is one of the reasons I and others have chose the 2011/2012 sony lines over similar models. It definitely provides a premium feel and it all depends on the user, you obviously don't care for it but I find it quite amazing. Guess whatever fits in your budget works best!

I think the Gorilla Glass is gorgeous.... but it certainly played no part as to why I bought my hx950.
post #51 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post


"not your run of the mill". My curiosity is now peaked.


Gonna send you a pm cmay with an explanation of what I meant when I say my tv is not your run of the mill HX750.
post #52 of 80
You cannot do that Steve1971...my curiosity is peaked as well smile.gif lay it all on the table.
post #53 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

You cannot do that Steve1971...my curiosity is peaked as well smile.gif lay it all on the table.



I can do that Browni. If your intertested go over to Blu ray.com and look at my Signature and it will tell you everything you need to know. wink.gif
post #54 of 80
Thanks...curiosity killed the cat. Glad I'm not a cat smile.gif ... Hey I might use that as my new signature
post #55 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I can do that Browni. If your intertested go over to Blu ray.com and look at my Signature and it will tell you everything you need to know. wink.gif

I don't get it. Are you referring to the 'XBR' portion of your "Sony Bravia KDL XBR-46HX750 LED/3D Tv." line in your signature? If so, I found nothing on Google search that references a 750 with XBR in the title.

Then agaqin If that's not what you're referring to, ignore this.
post #56 of 80
Or the cables^^ I'm with gator on this I don't get it either....
post #57 of 80
I don't get it, The 750 isn't an XBR.

also, i didn't now it was up for debate that the 750 is as good as the 850?? Simple observation between the two sets shows the 850 is superior, and the cnet reviews back that up. I'd attribute it to the 850 having an advanced edge-dimming scheme and the 750 having "frame dimming"
Edited by fatuglyguy - 3/7/13 at 10:44am
post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

I don't get it. Are you referring to the 'XBR' portion of your "Sony Bravia KDL XBR-46HX750 LED/3D Tv." line in your signature? If so, I found nothing on Google search that references a 750 with XBR in the title.

Then agaqin If that's not what you're referring to, ignore this.


Hey gator no you wouldnt find it on a google search because it is a demo model. I guess now the cat is out of the bag so to speak and now you know why I love my tv as much as I do and rave about it as much as I do. Now if I could only find an AVR to pair it up with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I don't get it, The 750 isn't an XBR.

also, i didn't now it was up for debate that the 750 is as good as the 850?? Simple observation between the two sets shows the 850 is superior, and the cnet reviews back that up. I'd attribute it to the 850 having an advanced edge-dimming scheme and the 750 having "frame dimming"

Like I just told gator my tv is a demo model and I wouldnt believe every review Cnet does. But the HX850 is an excellent tv and deserves all the high praise it gets.
post #59 of 80
What do you mean by "demo model?" You mean you have a prototype?

Are you saying bfore production that the 750 was designated as an XBR model? Does yours have the XBR insignia on the corner?
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

What do you mean by "demo model?" You mean you have a prototype?

Are you saying bfore production that the 750 was designated as an XBR model? Does yours have the XBR insignia on the corner?


All I will say is this and thats that people can believe what they want. I aint going to get into it here or anywhere else on the forums because all it leads up to is a flame war which I will have no part of. Enough said now moving on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony HX750 vs. HX850?