or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 50

post #1471 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantonio82 View Post

I finally got my UT50 setup! I'm currently running the break-in slides from an SD card.

Still waiting for someone to tell me what the point of slides is when there is the scrolling bar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantonio82 View Post

While the slides are changing, I notice some vertical "smudges" along the sides of the screen.

Give me a slide of the colour that makes it visible, and I'll see if it happens on mine.
post #1472 of 2596
Warm 2 is the closest to D65.
post #1473 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

Give me a slide of the colour that makes it visible, and I'll see if it happens on mine.

This is the slide that shows the "smudges". After researching it a little more, I think it's "banding' that I'm seeing. I have it set to Custom, 70 contrast, 50 brightness.

Does banding clear up with time?



Here an picture I took of my screen. You can see what I'm talking about on the right side of the screen.


Edited by Jantonio82 - 12/21/12 at 5:08am
post #1474 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantonio82 View Post

This is the slide that shows the "smudges". After researching it a little more, I think it's "banding' that I'm seeing. I have it set to Custom, 70 contrast, 50 brightness.
Does banding clear up with time?

Here an picture I took of my screen. You can see what I'm talking about on the right side of the screen.

My question is will you ever see that in normal viewing content ? My guess is no and that kind of banding is pretty common, I wouldn't worry about what you see on slides too much.
post #1475 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

My question is will you ever see that in normal viewing content ? My guess is no and that kind of banding is pretty common, I wouldn't worry about what you see on slides too much.

I'm 6 hours into the slides, about 94 hours from normal content!! lol Yeah, I've been reading up on it and it seems to be normal thing. Thanks for the reassurance! smile.gif Looks like I have rather minimal banding comparing to some extreme cases I've seen online.
post #1476 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantonio82 View Post

I'm 6 hours into the slides, about 94 hours from normal content!! lol Yeah, I've been reading up on it and it seems to be normal thing. Thanks for the reassurance! smile.gif Looks like I have rather minimal banding comparing to some extreme cases I've seen online.

Yeah that doesn't look too bad, you are infinitely more patient than I am, not a believer in the slides unless you are prepping for a pro cal. Enjoy smile.gif
post #1477 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Yeah that doesn't look too bad, you are infinitely more patient than I am, not a believer in the slides unless you are prepping for a pro cal. Enjoy smile.gif

Yeah, it's tough just looking at the TV flip through slides. lol I'm actually doing it in hopes that it'll "loosen" up my phosphors, and help with IR. I do some pretty heavy gaming, and I know the HUD on my FPS is going to be a problem. I'm getting by with my Wii U, which allows me to use the gamepad to play. cool.gif

A friend of mine recently got a plasma as well (LG I think), and we can see some slight burn in from Black Ops II. Mostly the white text from sitting and waiting in lobbies for matches to start. A ghostly "Team Deathmatch" can be seen on bright screens!! So I'm paranoid! eek.gif
post #1478 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

Warm 2 is the closest to D65.






Thanks, I'll use then and maybe my eyes will adjust.


BTW~sorry about my last extended double quote...I'm new here so hopefully it won't happen again.
Edited by Baron Blood - 12/21/12 at 9:46am
post #1479 of 2596
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about grabbing a 60UT54 (Costco) for $1349.99 + $25 ECO fee + 13% tax.

Is this really the best deal available for this TV in southern Ontario?

Also, is the U-Series really the exact same as the UT...minus the 3D and "Smart" features?

Cheers.
post #1480 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantonio82 View Post

This is the slide that shows the "smudges". After researching it a little more, I think it's "banding' that I'm seeing. I have it set to Custom, 70 contrast, 50 brightness.
Does banding clear up with time? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Here an picture I took of my screen. You can see what I'm talking about on the right side of the screen. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I tried your grey slide. On my TV it doesn't look as bad as your photo, but I do see one vertical band about a third of the way from the right hand side of the screen. (side note: that slide is a ditherfest too).

However, there is a certain pale bluish/greenish colour which displays banding all across my TV (~5 vertical bands). And I should add that I did see this during 'normal' viewing (I was playing a game and the screen turns that pale colour when you go underwater).

I would say that your TV is 'normal' as far as UT50's go. It's a pity that we have to put up with flaws in every display these days.
post #1481 of 2596
Hi all,
I tried a panny plasma 2 years ago, I loved the 3d and it played everything I had for mvk files perfect (to me at the least)!

I had to get rid of it due to image retention on 3d games, and other stuff that bothered me, and being only a 42", so I retuned it and purchased a sony 46" NX810 LED.
I got rid of the IR by running the slides for hours with the 42" panny plasma set.

But to this day I CANT STAND THE 3D crosstalk in my LCD, it ticks me off to no extent, especially when I was used to the plasma's perfect 3D (at least to me), if I were to get the 50" plasma at the time, I think I would have kept it.

So now I am getting a 55" UT50 $900, as you all know cause its this price just about everywhere.

Questions

1. A. I'm going to use the slides and stay away from 3d games until about 400hours?
B. but I'm worried about the huds in 2d, so I guess I should keep the contrast down during games for a while to make sure ?
C. and how many hours of burn in before I can play games on it do you all think is a safe bet for no IR?

2. I'm reading back some pages and someone said he could not get their 3d mvk files to play 3d, that this tv would only turn on 3D automatically , at least that is my interpretation, I hope i'm wrong tho? Can we select 3D anytime with any HDMI source, 3D, side by side, at any point? like even for a 2D mvk movie? they talk about auto also so that may be something I do not understand with this set?

3. How is the picture when viewing 3 feet from it? I sit about 3-6 feet max in the room I'm putting it? ( I know i'm crazy for putting a 55" in this area but, I want the 3D effect, Big picture)

4. How much buzing should I expect from it, I don't recall my 42" panny having any, or I could not hear any?

Thanks so much for helping!!
post #1482 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfran1 View Post

3. How is the picture when viewing 3 feet from it? I sit about 3-6 feet max in the room I'm putting it? ( I know i'm crazy for putting a 55" in this area but, I want the 3D effect, Big picture)
4. How much buzing should I expect from it, I don't recall my 42" panny having any, or I could not hear any?

The TV will look like garbage 3 feet. I have the 50" and dithering (especially in games) is plenty noticeable at 2m. Do you play skyrim? A Skyrim example is the smoke in the menu - terrible dithering.

Buzzing is very loud in scenes with a lot of white, but generally it's bearable.
post #1483 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantonio82 View Post

This is the slide that shows the "smudges". After researching it a little more, I think it's "banding' that I'm seeing. I have it set to Custom, 70 contrast, 50 brightness.
Does banding clear up with time?

Here an picture I took of my screen. You can see what I'm talking about on the right side of the screen.

I have gone through the following:

55 ST50 - Amazon (Returned) Right side and bottom bands.
60 UT50 - Amazon (Returned) Right and left side bands.
50 UT50 - Panasonic Shop(Exchanged) Very light right side band. This panel was returned for bezel issues, caused by over torqued housing screws.
50 UT50 - Panasonic Shop (Happy Customer!) Great panel! Very faint left side band, only noticeable on a couple slides.

- All of these sets had some sort of Banding / Dirty Screen Effect / Smudges, ranging from severe to very mild.
- Most of the bands weren't noticeable during normal content.
- Sets with a newer build date had less banding.
- The set that I kept was the newest build out of the four.
- I think the louver filter of the ST50 and above adds boldness to the bands.(I prefer no filter)
- All of the sets were ran through prep.

Hopefully some of my experience with the above sets helps you out some.
post #1484 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoul View Post

The set that I kept was the newest build out of the four.

And what date was that?
post #1485 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

The TV will look like garbage 3 feet. I have the 50" and dithering (especially in games) is plenty noticeable at 2m. Do you play skyrim? A Skyrim example is the smoke in the menu - terrible dithering.
Buzzing is very loud in scenes with a lot of white, but generally it's bearable.
Thank you
I don't play skyrim, just cod bo2 mainly.

Anyone else with opinions to my questions please.
post #1486 of 2596
Question for you guys. I am seriously considering buying this TV for my bedroom. My viewing distance is 10 feet. At my local PaulsTVs, the manager told me he had a 42 inch UT50 in stock (a guy bought it and then returned it a week later because it was too small for him). He told me he would sell me it for $680. Should I hop on this offer? Or should I ignore it and buy the 50 inch one that sells for $1000. Need advice, what would you guys do?luojie
post #1487 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

And what date was that?

I'm at work at the moment, but off the top of my head... I think it's a September build.
post #1488 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumsdsd View Post

Question for you guys. I am seriously considering buying this TV for my bedroom. My viewing distance is 10 feet. At my local PaulsTVs, the manager told me he had a 42 inch UT50 in stock (a guy bought it and then returned it a week later because it was too small for him). He told me he would sell me it for $680. Should I hop on this offer? Or should I ignore it and buy the 50 inch one that sells for $1000. Need advice, what would you guys do?luojie

I don't think that is a good deal, the 50" sells for 700 and 55" 900 at sears, bestbuy and amazon at the least right now, get a price match on the 50" if they will, I always say bigger is better, but that also means if you can fit it where it needs to go.
post #1489 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

The TV will look like garbage 3 feet. I have the 50" and dithering (especially in games) is plenty noticeable at 2m. Do you play skyrim? A Skyrim example is the smoke in the menu - terrible dithering.
Buzzing is very loud in scenes with a lot of white, but generally it's bearable.

I just measured and i'm actually 41/2 to 5 feet minimum from where it will go. so how would that be?
post #1490 of 2596
Costco has the UT55 for $799 here in the south. Best Buy right now is matching Amazon prices.
post #1491 of 2596
We have had our UT55 for several days and have not heard any buzzing even close to the set.
post #1492 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfran1 View Post

I just measured and i'm actually 41/2 to 5 feet minimum from where it will go. so how would that be?

You are going to see dithering, Plasma are not intended to be used like computer monitors
post #1493 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoul View Post

I have gone through the following:
55 ST50 - Amazon (Returned) Right side and bottom bands.
60 UT50 - Amazon (Returned) Right and left side bands.
50 UT50 - Panasonic Shop(Exchanged) Very light right side band. This panel was returned for bezel issues, caused by over torqued housing screws.
50 UT50 - Panasonic Shop (Happy Customer!) Great panel! Very faint left side band, only noticeable on a couple slides.
- All of these sets had some sort of Banding / Dirty Screen Effect / Smudges, ranging from severe to very mild.
- Most of the bands weren't noticeable during normal content.
- Sets with a newer build date had less banding.
- The set that I kept was the newest build out of the four.
- I think the louver filter of the ST50 and above adds boldness to the bands.(I prefer no filter)
- All of the sets were ran through prep.
Hopefully some of my experience with the above sets helps you out some.

Wow, you went through 4 panels before finding a winner?!? I might go down the same road if I end up noticing my bands during regular content and gaming!!

There's a huge thread regarding this issue
HERE
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1638736-panasonic-2012-vertical-band-issues-vbi-mvbi.html
and HERE
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1678005-panasonic-2012-vertical-band-issues-vbi-mvbi-part-2-a.html

There's also an interesting write up for the possible cause...HERE
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1684219-plasma-diagnostics-pioneer-red-tint-panasonic-50-series-vbi-mvbi.html

So it looks like it comes down to pure luck...as far a buying a panel with minimal banding!
post #1494 of 2596
Hi All
I picked up my 55ut50 (built april 2012) today, the guy at best buy said I should not lay it down, but I had no choice, I drove and stopped to eat with it laying down about 31/2 hours, I put it in its proper vertical way when I arrived home, took it out of the box. plugged it in 1/2 hour after arrival.

I set the 3D to auto 2, as I found somewhere in this thread, The tv found my seagate upnp server, and everything 3d that I tested so far, from my mvk files, it played in 3d, with the exception on 1 so far, but all I did was turn the 3d glasses off then on and it switched to 3d! So everything plays so far in 3D, so far.

like I said eirler I have a 46nx810 that retailed for over 2000 and I can tell you all 3d on lcd sucks!!!!!! (at least compared to the 3D on panasonic plasmas) There should be some type of standard or test that these have to pass but LCD tvs SUCK for 3D and should not be available, I personally think that they can be good and manufactures make them suck (cause I can adjust for no crosstalk in the back ground or foreground but not both on the LCD at the same time), but whatever. Now I know why some say they don't care about the 3D, its most likely cause the LCD tv they have SUCKS at 3D.

I can't wait to put it where it belongs, but so far I have no banding, no dead areas (clouding or ??), and perfect uniform everywhere on the screen, I do get a little buzzing when my white slide is on but it is so little I have to be a foot near it to hear it.

So far I see no dithering, tho I need to look it up, I sat 4-5 feet for 3D and it was perfect, no PERFECT!!!!

So far I love this TV, the 3D made me sooooo excited, it automatically switches to 3D,WOW and so far works perfect in doing that.

I have it in game mode so far with brightness and contrast max for the slides.

Edit:

How do we check and upgrade firmware on these tv's? Does it do it automatically thru the internet?
Edited by dfran1 - 12/22/12 at 2:44pm
post #1495 of 2596
I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can use Samsung 3d glasses with the Panny plasmas.
I have a pair of Samsung 3100 glasses from 2011. Will they work with a UT50?
Thanks!
post #1496 of 2596
Welcome to the world of Banding!!! I would say if you cant notice during general viewing then don't worry. These banding issue is present in most of the 2012 panels (especially UT series), I had exact same panel as you + color uniformity on left side also. I exchanged total three 50UT50 & all three had some amount of banding (None of them bother during normal content), finally I accepted that fault & now enjoying the TV. and yes, these wont fade or improve over the time (At least in my case, I've this TV since May now)
post #1497 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchris View Post

I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can use Samsung 3d glasses with the Panny plasmas.
I have a pair of Samsung 3100 glasses from 2011. Will they work with a UT50?
Thanks!
These are suposed to according to what I read and I have one coming in on monday
I have a panasonic one now, so I can compare if one is better than the other
Samsung SSG-4100GB 3D Active Glasses 2012 Models

Best buy has them for 19.99 now so
post #1498 of 2596
That would be great if they do in fact work with the UT50.
Please report back with your findings!
post #1499 of 2596
I bought a pair of Samsung SSG-4100GB ($19.99@BB) to test out on my UT50. They connected with no problem and I was able to watch some 3D content. I didn't watch enough to to give any sort of review...but they did work!
post #1500 of 2596
Hey folks. Happy holidays. I have been following this forum for quite a while and thank you to all for your contributions and feedback. I have been the proud owner of the UT50 and all i can say is wow. My UT50 was manufactured in November of this year and while running slides have noticed no sign of banding. The display is extremely uniform and precise. I will be callibrating at the end of January with an ISF callibrator in the area. I will post my conclusions and findings once we have collectively calibrated my whole system, audio and visual (that is the only way he will callibrate).

One question that I would like to post to the room is how many of you that own this display are using power conditioning on your setups. I would be very interested based on the sensitivity of plasma displays to find that some issues that some may be having could be rectified with the simple addition of clean power.

My AVR and Display are fed off a dedicated line with a PS Audio Soloist outlet and I have had wonderful results both in audio and visual.

Keep up the good vibes concerning this wonderful display!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread