or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 2596
Quick question - when you have the HD Size set to 2, does the Pixel Orbiter still work? I noticed it's NOT greyed out, so I'm assuming it's still "orbiting" when HD Size is set to 2.
post #152 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Actually Paul's will exchange the TV if it goes defective soon after you get it, and they'll cover shipping both ways.

Well if that is true that is good news, however, the website says different so I did not know.........
post #153 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

Quick question - when you have the HD Size set to 2, does the Pixel Orbiter still work? I noticed it's NOT greyed out, so I'm assuming it's still "orbiting" when HD Size is set to 2.

It works on HD size 2 on my ST30.
post #154 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

It works on HD size 2 on my ST30.

Cool. Thanks.
post #155 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post


That was an excellent explanation! Thank you very much! I'm somewhat new to gaming having bought a PS3 a few months ago and never used the Game mode on my old Panny plasma, but I'm sure to use it on this model! CoD certainly looks nice!

Uncharted: Drake's Deception = epic. You may need to play the first two games to get some context though. Drake's Fortune is a solid if a bit unexceptional action platformer. Among Thieves, on the other hand, is a surprisingly awesome sequel brimming with personality and showcasing some of the best graphics on ps3 along with some jaw dropping water cooler moments.
post #156 of 2596
Killzone 3 is amazing in 3d. I never really liked the game before but I threw it in last night and played it in 3d for the first time and it was awesome. That game is meant to be played in 3d.
post #157 of 2596
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyxbr1980 View Post

Well if that is true that is good news, however, the website says different so I did not know.........

Their website does not say different, and it does not say that the customer has to pay return shipping on defective items. It is vague and actually doesn't say anything about who pays for what if the TV is defective - all it says is this:

"Accepting delivery indicates there is no physical damage to the television. If the product is found defective for any reason other than shipping damage, we will be sure to take care of you."

Emphasis on the "we will be sure to take care of you".

When i was at Pauls several months ago to inquire about buying a 50GT30, i specifically asked what would happen if i got a TV shipped to me that went defective and he specifically stated that they'll exchange it and cover all the shipping or delivery charges. The salesman who told me this is a guy i've known for years who has also worked at Good Guys and Ken Crane's and is a real pro so i believe what he told me. I also got the same answer from a CSR when i called them on the phone later, complaining about how their website is not clear about it and explaining how this vagueness might actually scare people away from buying a TV from Paul's and they should make it more clear (which they haven't done).
post #158 of 2596
One thing that concerns me: cnet tested motion resolution with smoothing OFF @ 750 lines. As an avid gamer this makes me happy that I bought an S30 when I had the chance!
post #159 of 2596
Another question, this time about 1080/24p. I set my player to 1080/24p and noticed that the 24 Direct-In setting on the TV has 48hz and 60hz settings. 48hz is unwatchable. Everything flickers and 60hz looks fine, but I don't really see a difference between 1080/24p and 1080/60p. What do most of you guys use as far as settings go for this? Thanks.
post #160 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

Another question, this time about 1080/24p. I set my player to 1080/24p and noticed that the 24 Direct-In setting on the TV has 48hz and 60hz settings. 48hz is unwatchable. Everything flickers and 60hz looks fine, but I don't really see a difference between 1080/24p and 1080/60p. What do most of you guys use as far as settings go for this? Thanks.

All you're deciding there is if your player is going to do the pull down or your TV is. I have the TV do it only because the pull down is handled so well by these new panasonics.
post #161 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

All you're deciding there is if your player is going to do the pull down or your TV is. I have the TV do it only because the pull down is handled so well by these new panasonics.

Thanks. Makes sense. I'll just set the player to 1080/60p.

Another annoying question. Sorry for all of these. The Pixel Orbiter just has a "Enable" or "Disable" setting. My PX80U would let me set how often it would shift the image, but this one does not. Does anyone know how often it shifts the image when set to "Enable." Thanks.
post #162 of 2596
I really wouldn't worry about it. I never touched the setting on my pz800 and I have yet to experience any persistent IR on my S30 (and the 2011 sets are somewhat notorious for displaying IR more readily than previous Panasonic lines). I know that doesn't answer your question but I suspect that it's now permanently set to auto.
post #163 of 2596
How is the media playback and file format support(audio/video) on these TVs ? Good ?

I was currently debating getting the UT50 or U50, is there a considerable difference between these two models, aside from U50's lack of 3D functionality ?
post #164 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat7 View Post

How is the media playback and file format support(audio/video) on these TVs ? Good ?

I was currently debating getting the UT50 or U50, is there a considerable difference between these two models, aside from U50's lack of 3D functionality ?

There is a good discussion going on over in the ST50 thread about panasonic's media player-- from what I can gather there are some file support issues, specifically concerning mkv files.

Without a hands on review of the U50 by a reliable source it's hard to say how different the two panels may or may not be. From a purely feature bias approach the U50 has one big omission in that it lacks a network connection and therefore also lacks the Smart Viera functionality. I would be more concerned with PQ, though: Cnet tested the UT and found that it shared many of the positive picture qualities as the acclaimed ST50-- making it a bargain. There is no guarantee, however, that the U50 will be the same. My recommendation would be to stick with the UT50 for the relatively minor difference in price.
post #165 of 2596
The UT50 made it's way onto the best 5 hdtvs for picture quality list on CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2733-6485_7-...opProds;seeAll
post #166 of 2596
I don't know why Cnet knocks on the 3d so much is it really that bad,my settings have been great so far.Here they are if anyone wants to try them.I have noticed the darker your picture the more crosstalk.Let me know what you think.

Custom

Contrast: 100
Brightness:66
Color:60
Tint:0 for now
Sharpness:20

Warm 1 because the tint of the glasses make any setting atleast one step warmer,example: I use warm 2 in 2d and warm 1 in 3d so adjust to your preference.

Hdmi:graphics

Everything else turned off
post #167 of 2596
Managed to pick up a 42UT50 from Amazon for $720 before they were discontinued. Overall, I'm very impressed with the color and black level performance from such a cheap 1080p plasma.

I'm having a couple of problems with it, though. First off, there are a couple of vertical light streaks on the right part of the screen. Especially noticeable when watching a grey or green screen. I'm gonna call Panasonic just about that alone and see if I can't get a replacement. I'm 100% positive it's not image retention, and I couldn't have caused it because it's been there since I've had it.

But the bigger problem I'm having is when watching anything below 1080i. 1080p and 1080i look fantastic, but when you get to 720p and below it gets a little weird. Everything looks like an oil painting. I've heard something about this before, but I've never seen it, and it makes playing PS3 games that won't accept a 1080 signal kind of a downer.
post #168 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnyder82 View Post

Managed to pick up a 42UT50 from Amazon for $720 before they were discontinued. Overall, I'm very impressed with the color and black level performance from such a cheap 1080p plasma.

I'm having a couple of problems with it, though. First off, there are a couple of vertical light streaks on the right part of the screen. Especially noticeable when watching a grey or green screen. I'm gonna call Panasonic just about that alone and see if I can't get a replacement. I'm 100% positive it's not image retention, and I couldn't have caused it because it's been there since I've had it.

But the bigger problem I'm having is when watching anything below 1080i. 1080p and 1080i look fantastic, but when you get to 720p and below it gets a little weird. Everything looks like an oil painting. I've heard something about this before, but I've never seen it, and it makes playing PS3 games that won't accept a 1080 signal kind of a downer.

Uniformity issues are now pretty common on Panasonic plasmas-- if you can't see it in everyday programming I'd let it go. Also, the panel will settle in over the first 500 hrs or so and some of those issues will lesson.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HDTV_10.html

Can you explain the oil painting remark in a bit more detail?
post #169 of 2596
My UT50 took about a week before it started looking nice. I watched contraband the first night i had it and the picture looked pretty bad with what looked kind of like banding and detail loss In dark scenes,now a couple weeks later it looks perfect.
post #170 of 2596
Had my 50UT50 calibrated today by ChadB and I am quite pleased with the picture.. It still doesn't beat my 60" Elite Kuro in the living room, but holds up very well for a bedroom TV...
post #171 of 2596
So I got my 42ut50 today from amazon and it is perfect, not a mark on it. I was comparing it to my brother in law gt50
(my sister does not work so got the TV delivered to their house).
I am not sure which picture I like better. They are very different to me and I really can not tell which one I like best. I can tell that the UT50 seems to be clearer ( no filter), however the GT seems to have better color (more life like). In any case when I get home I will see how it does next to my g10 since that is the tv that I was replacing in the first place. Oh and it really does look like **** in the day time, but to be fair the Gt was not taht much better.
post #172 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Had my 50UT50 calibrated today by ChadB and I am quite pleased with the picture.. It still doesn't beat my 60" Elite Kuro in the living room, but holds up very well for a bedroom TV...

So i take it that even though the tv lacks the pro menu,you can still access the service menu for calibration correct? Also, do you still access the service menu the same way as on previous years. Might sound like a dumb question but i have yet to try.
post #173 of 2596
I didn't actually do the calibration, Chad did. That question would be better for him. Seemed like he was in some sort of service menu..
post #174 of 2596
I would love to know what settings Chad came up with. I trust him!
post #175 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I would love to know what settings Chad came up with. I trust him!

Did you get your 55ut50 yet?
post #176 of 2596
I was in Sears today, and the UT50 & U50 were side by side and I couldn't tell the differences between the 2. So I drove around the corner to the Costco($50 cheaper than Sears) and got their version of the U50>U54. So far, quite happy with the $$ saved & the pq right out of the box is fantastic, very nice black levels indeed.....

I figure in 90 days, if I don't like it, I'll opt for a hopefully cheaper, in price, UT/ST50.
post #177 of 2596
Where can you purchase the WiFi adapter for the UT50? Apparently the 2010 version does not work on the 2012 TVs. Is there a retail store or order online only?
post #178 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I would love to know what settings Chad came up with. I trust him!

Yeah,I'd like to try them. I hope he saved them to post.
post #179 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

My UT50 took about a week before it started looking nice. I watched contraband the first night i had it and the picture looked pretty bad with what looked kind of like banding and detail loss In dark scenes,now a couple weeks later it looks perfect.

I've had mine right at a week now and I love the picture. I've been using the settings that pathofneo came up with. I'm not sure if it was just me not having proper settings on prior tvs, the panel aging some, or a combination of those, but I didn't fall in love with it until the past two nights. Great colors and blacks.
post #180 of 2596
Sonyboy- Yes it arrived today actually. I have it placed where the Kuro was and it doesn't look any bigger. I noticed this right away when they unboxed it. I should have known this looking at my 42UT50, but I bought it sight unseen. Miscalculation on my part. It's due to the Kuro having a larger bezel, raised higher on the stand, and not as thin profile. I should have gone with the 60" but for the price I paid I'm not complaining.

It's an excellent large 3D display, superb blacks, and the single most important thing >IMO< actually superior to my Kuro is the motion processing. I can tell you now I couldn't handle a 55" Kuro with the judder after witnessing this. With motion smoother OFF I can't believe how exceptional the motion handling is. Don't get me wrong it's the same panel as the 42UT50 but the increased size brings it to life. Not sure how it can improve with a 2500hz drive on the GT/VT but I'm left speechless.

There are reviews of the ST/VT popping up now and they make me satisfied with my purchases. Cnet having a lower MLL after calibration for the UT (vs ST)? Politics is the only answer from a legitimate review claiming "not as dark". I assume the VT will have a lower reading, but only marginal. The VT's color will be better, but I'll hold judgement on motion, blacks, brightness, etc. If it equals/bests the Kuro..then it bests our UT and that's how I stand on that. Panasonic's 2012 line knocked it out of the park.

The glasses still haven't arrived.

edit--> I may have to update my review. Some users are having vertical lines/bars on their sets. I haven't seen this on my 42UT50 and will look for it (although hate too) on the 55. I didn't notice it right away but I'll catch it when I calibrate. This could take the uniformity down a notch..but to my eye so far it's no comparison to the blobs of the past. Nothing is ever perfect but I can sympathize with those with lines on the screen. I should remind you that Kuros are notorious for having DSE and it's noticeable with white backgrounds during pans. It's the nature of the beast that I've learned to deal with so hopefully if I spot a line it'll be a similar unpronounced situation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread