or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 54

post #1591 of 2596
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfran1 View Post

anyone??? That small white dot in the pictures

What about it? What is it? Why is that there?
post #1592 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

What about it? What is it? Why is that there?

Thats what I want to know.

Do you see it?

It is very small, I can only see it if looking (and under 5 feet) and only when a light color is in that area, if it is a dark color (black, brown, dark blue, etc..) I cant see it.
post #1593 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

I feel that 'black' on my UT50 is not what it was a week ago. I'm watching Curse of the Black Pearl on BD, and the letterboxing is quite visible in a dark room.

If your picture has changed during the break in period then check your brightness test pattern. You may need to drop your brightness a tick. Also, I noticed with my TV in a dark room, if the scene is dark then the bezel is noticeable, but in bright scenes when your pupils get smaller, it is much harder if even possible to see the bezel. I watched a few letterboxed movies recently and thought all were 1.78. I think one or two was1.66:1 and the other was 1.85:1. For me, it depends on the brightness of the scene, but you could check brightness since it could have changed.
post #1594 of 2596
Hey Panasonic UT50 owners,

I've narrowed my TV search to 2 TVs; the 55" Panasonic Plasma TC-P55UT50 and the 60" Vizio LED E601i-A3. Both are at Costco; the Panasonic for $800 and the Vizio for $950.

I watch a lot of movies (mainly through discs and streaming Netflix/Amazon) and play XBOX 360. I connect my laptop to my current Vizio quite a bit. My room is fairly dark in general and I can close the shades so I'm not too concerned about the ambient light messing with the plasma.

One feature I really liked on the Vizio is that it has variable analog out so I can hookup my Audioengine A5's to it and adjust the volume through the TV rather than requiring an additional receiver. Can any UT50 owners tell me if this feature is on the Panasonic?

Does the Panasonic have an RGB port for my laptop? It seems like it just has 2 HDMI inputs and a component input. My laptop doesn't have HDMI out, only RGB. The Vizio seems to have every input/output under the sun. How do you guys stream content from your PCs to Panasonics?

I feel like the Panasonic will give me overall better picture quality but the Vizio has more features which I'll find convenient (variable analog out, wifi built in, RGB input). Any advice?

Thanks,
Steve
post #1595 of 2596
Those sets are not even close picture quality wise but sounds like that is not a priority for you
post #1596 of 2596
Hey guys,

I got a UT50 here in Canada this week. I just want to share something.
The HDTV tuner in this set is much better than the one in my LG 50PK550, I get more channels and the signal is more stable.
post #1597 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

If your picture has changed during the break in period then check your brightness test pattern. You may need to drop your brightness a tick. Also, I noticed with my TV in a dark room, if the scene is dark then the bezel is noticeable, but in bright scenes when your pupils get smaller, it is much harder if even possible to see the bezel. I watched a few letterboxed movies recently and thought all were 1.78. I think one or two was1.66:1 and the other was 1.85:1. For me, it depends on the brightness of the scene, but you could check brightness since it could have changed.

Hey, on the same subject, do you know how long can the UT50 maintain it's black levels? I hate knowing that it will change with time.
post #1598 of 2596
They wont change over time in fact they may improve with age
post #1599 of 2596
I just started noticing dithering in my set.. what should I do.
post #1600 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

If your picture has changed during the break in period then check your brightness test pattern. You may need to drop your brightness a tick. Also, I noticed with my TV in a dark room, if the scene is dark then the bezel is noticeable, but in bright scenes when your pupils get smaller, it is much harder if even possible to see the bezel. I watched a few letterboxed movies recently and thought all were 1.78. I think one or two was1.66:1 and the other was 1.85:1. For me, it depends on the brightness of the scene, but you could check brightness since it could have changed.

The glow isn't affected by the brightness setting. I know that all plasmas have a certain amount of black screen glow, but I swear it's brighter than it was before. Before I could see it clearly on an all black screen, but I barely in the black bars of letterboxed movies. Now It's annoying me, and black doesn't seem as black in games either.
post #1601 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDemonBag View Post

Can any UT50 owners tell me if this feature is on the Panasonic?
Does the Panasonic have an RGB port for my laptop? It seems like it just has 2 HDMI inputs and a component input. My laptop doesn't have HDMI out, only RGB. The Vizio seems to have every input/output under the sun. How do you guys stream content from your PCs to Panasonics?
I feel like the Panasonic will give me overall better picture quality but the Vizio has more features which I'll find convenient (variable analog out, wifi built in, RGB input). Any advice?
Thanks,
Steve

No the UT50 models don't have a VGA/PC input, and no built-in wireless internet, only two HDMI ports plus component/composite and cable ethernet.
The ST50 models add wireless internet, and the GT50 models also add the VGA/PC input but its purportedly limited on resolution capability.
post #1602 of 2596
My parents bought the 55in version of this TV over the weekend. While I was setting it up for them, I ran into a connection issue that I would like some suggestions in trying to find a solution. My dad has a wireless headphone set that connect to the audio out RCA's of the replaced TV and this TV only has the optical out option. I can hook the headphones to the cable box audio out so he can listen to TV shows, but when he wants to watch a blu-ray/dvd there would be no sound thru the headphones.

Any suggestions on how to get the headphones to work without manaully having to unplug from one source and plug into the other?
post #1603 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

No the UT50 models don't have a VGA/PC input, and no built-in wireless internet, only two HDMI ports plus component/composite and cable ethernet.
The ST50 models add wireless internet, and the GT50 models also add the VGA/PC input but its purportedly limited on resolution capability.

If you need lots of inputs then you could go with the Vizio or you could add an extra component, an AV receiver that has the inputs you need and then some, with the UT50 and have a better combo in the end. If you go that route, just make sure you have VGA on the receiver because my Yamaha doesn't, but that wasn't something I needed.
post #1604 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcreel View Post

My parents bought the 55in version of this TV over the weekend. While I was setting it up for them, I ran into a connection issue that I would like some suggestions in trying to find a solution. My dad has a wireless headphone set that connect to the audio out RCA's of the replaced TV and this TV only has the optical out option. I can hook the headphones to the cable box audio out so he can listen to TV shows, but when he wants to watch a blu-ray/dvd there would be no sound thru the headphones.
Any suggestions on how to get the headphones to work without manaully having to unplug from one source and plug into the other?

Convertor from optical out to RCA output ?
post #1605 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

This TV is a minefield. Another case of 'panel lottery'. I've just been reading all about this banding issue (and more). Many have experienced it, in many cases it is visible in normal use (apparently football pitches often show it and I've seen it plenty of times in games). Some say it get's better over time, some have had it get worse.
I didn't spend long enough researching before making my purchase. Part of the problem was that I was searching for problems specifically related to the UT50. I should have been researching Panasonic's 2012 plasmas in general. The UT50 shares the same uniformity and banding issues as the ST50, VT50 etc., which are well documented. For some reason thses issues are not very well documented in UT50 threads - I guess it's because the more discerning people aren't buying these lower end models.
Anyway, 'dirty screen effect' and banding issues are present in all the 2012 plasmas from Panasonic including the UT50. These are major flaws, probably due to Panasonic's non-existent quality contol and potential buyers need to be aware. If I had known of this, I would never have purchased one of these sets.

I've been holding off on posting, trying to read more of this thread. I agree with Oubadah, that there ARE uniformity issues with at least MANY of Panasonic's 2012 UT50 plasma line (and I suspect other lines as well). I posted about two weeks ago about what looked like burn-in that didn't go away after break-in slides and I've now come to realize it as a uniformity/banding issue. I too am surprised more people don't report these issues but I do think it comes down to nitpicking in a sense, not that there is anything wrong with nitpicking, we want quality when we shell out our hard earned money.

So, after posting about the issues a couple weeks ago, I decided to go purchase another set from Costco. I left the original on the wall and ran the break-in slides on the new set during the holidays in a corner (who knows if they help or not but at least they help uncover uniformity issues).

Much like the person who posted a few pages ago about going through 4 sets, I've noticed vertical dark band on BOTH 55UT50 sets I purchased from Costco, in nearly the SAME spot. The first set had a manufacture date of Oct 2012 and the second set I got from a different costco has an Aug 2012 date. The first set was uniformly dark in about a 2-3 inch band near the right side of the screen (big surprise, the same location EVERY other person is reporting issues). The second set has the irregularity in the same location but instead of it being uniformly dark, it's more of a thin striped/comb pattern within the 2-3 inch strip. It's sort of less noticeable since it's like every other vertical pixel is dark but at the same time, the combing effect can also be seen more easily in some scenes (trade off really). The other thing I noticed on the second set is a dark spot/smudge that pretty much looks to be the EXACT size as someone's thumb. My guess is that during the manufacturing process, someone got a thumbprint on the panel and the oils make the image look darker in that spot. The reason I'll probably just deal with the second set, combing and thumb print is that it seems to buzz less than the first...

Honestly, I'd love to keep swapping panels out with Costco until I find the "perfect one" because I don't get to buy a new TV every couple of years like some folks. I have to buy the best quality I can with the little budget I have and expect it to last until it breaks or my wife has a temporary lapse in judgment and lets me indulge in my insane audio visual "hobby." But that's the problem, my wife didn't take kindly to floating the cost of a second TV for a week and the trouble and time of buying, unpacking, re-packing, returning and rehanging the TV, not to mention my insane burn-in time with the TV in the corner with the box preventing our child from "playing with it."

I also don't know that there will be a "perfect" UT50 out there. I'm sure it's a quality control issue and Panasonic feels like this is "good enough" quality and it would cost more to manufacture a Plasma panel without this banding on the right side near the bezel. My suspicion is that 90% of people wouldn't notice this on their own until someone pointed it out to them. I find it distracting but then again, I'm also the type that gets distracted by sound of fuel splashing around in my fuel tank, beneath 4 inches of seat cushion, sound deadening and metal...

I'm almost tempted to give edge lit LED/LCD a try. Honestly, the whole "Blacks are better on Plasma" argument just doesn't seem to hold as much water these days....LCD technology is getting more and more impressive. Someone really tell me why Plasma is worth the Buzz, the IR issues, especially in scene changes where the phosphors of a high contrast scene are still glowing in dim parts of the next scene (how is that better PQ?) and apparently bigger pixels which equates to less resolution from what I read.

All technology is a trade off though. The big thing that bugs me with LCD is that static graphics often flicker, even with sharpness all the way down. I couldn't figure out if this bugs me more than the buzz and IR issues of Plasma though...jury is still out. My wife is going to kill me but I might return this second 55UT50 for the Panasoic LED/LCD TC-L55E50...

CLIFF'S NOTES: Agree with Oubadah, 2012 UT50 Plasma's have uniformity issues. If you think yours is perfect, you probably aren't the type to scrutinize so enjoy this quality about yourself and God help the rest of us neurotic folk...
post #1606 of 2596
Two more quick questions I have for you guys.

1) Does doing the break-ins for 100 hours more aim towards color accuracy if the phosphors aging evenly, or is it that as well as lessen image retention? Or does the break-ins/HD content for 100 hours not have anything to do with helping IR? Because I'm about 50-60 hours in and I REALLY would like to just say screw it and game on the set, haha. But if letting the set run for 100 hours will indeed help lessen IR then I'll keep truckin' it out.

2) Is there any known bad manufacturer dates on these? Just noticed mine was built way back in April, which is way back there. Just wondering if they may of changed anything in their production line that bettered the set over earlier production. For instance the dithering I notice maybe?
post #1607 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXfanatic View Post

I've been holding off on posting, trying to read more of this thread. I agree with Oubadah, that there ARE uniformity issues with at least MANY of Panasonic's 2012 UT50 plasma line (and I suspect other lines as well). I posted about two weeks ago about what looked like burn-in that didn't go away after break-in slides and I've now come to realize it as a uniformity/banding issue. I too am surprised more people don't report these issues but I do think it comes down to nitpicking in a sense, not that there is anything wrong with nitpicking, we want quality when we shell out our hard earned money.
So, after posting about the issues a couple weeks ago, I decided to go purchase another set from Costco. I left the original on the wall and ran the break-in slides on the new set during the holidays in a corner (who knows if they help or not but at least they help uncover uniformity issues).
Much like the person who posted a few pages ago about going through 4 sets, I've noticed vertical dark band on BOTH 55UT50 sets I purchased from Costco, in nearly the SAME spot. The first set had a manufacture date of Oct 2012 and the second set I got from a different costco has an Aug 2012 date. The first set was uniformly dark in about a 2-3 inch band near the right side of the screen (big surprise, the same location EVERY other person is reporting issues). The second set has the irregularity in the same location but instead of it being uniformly dark, it's more of a thin striped/comb pattern within the 2-3 inch strip. It's sort of less noticeable since it's like every other vertical pixel is dark but at the same time, the combing effect can also be seen more easily in some scenes (trade off really). The other thing I noticed on the second set is a dark spot/smudge that pretty much looks to be the EXACT size as someone's thumb. My guess is that during the manufacturing process, someone got a thumbprint on the panel and the oils make the image look darker in that spot. The reason I'll probably just deal with the second set, combing and thumb print is that it seems to buzz less than the first...
Honestly, I'd love to keep swapping panels out with Costco until I find the "perfect one" because I don't get to buy a new TV every couple of years like some folks. I have to buy the best quality I can with the little budget I have and expect it to last until it breaks or my wife has a temporary lapse in judgment and lets me indulge in my insane audio visual "hobby." But that's the problem, my wife didn't take kindly to floating the cost of a second TV for a week and the trouble and time of buying, unpacking, re-packing, returning and rehanging the TV, not to mention my insane burn-in time with the TV in the corner with the box preventing our child from "playing with it."
I also don't know that there will be a "perfect" UT50 out there. I'm sure it's a quality control issue and Panasonic feels like this is "good enough" quality and it would cost more to manufacture a Plasma panel without this banding on the right side near the bezel. My suspicion is that 90% of people wouldn't notice this on their own until someone pointed it out to them. I find it distracting but then again, I'm also the type that gets distracted by sound of fuel splashing around in my fuel tank, beneath 4 inches of seat cushion, sound deadening and metal...
I'm almost tempted to give edge lit LED/LCD a try. Honestly, the whole "Blacks are better on Plasma" argument just doesn't seem to hold as much water these days....LCD technology is getting more and more impressive. Someone really tell me why Plasma is worth the Buzz, the IR issues, especially in scene changes where the phosphors of a high contrast scene are still glowing in dim parts of the next scene (how is that better PQ?) and apparently bigger pixels which equates to less resolution from what I read.
All technology is a trade off though. The big thing that bugs me with LCD is that static graphics often flicker, even with sharpness all the way down. I couldn't figure out if this bugs me more than the buzz and IR issues of Plasma though...jury is still out. My wife is going to kill me but I might return this second 55UT50 for the Panasoic LED/LCD TC-L55E50...
CLIFF'S NOTES: Agree with Oubadah, 2012 UT50 Plasma's have uniformity issues. If you think yours is perfect, you probably aren't the type to scrutinize so enjoy this quality about yourself and God help the rest of us neurotic folk...

Sorry for your issues but I think its a bit or a stretch to extrapolate to the entire 2012 Panasonic line based on two sets. As far as blacks go the numbers don't lie, nothing but the very top echelon of LED/LCD can compete with plasma's. Sharp elite, Sony hx850, Sony 929 etc Plasma certainly isn't for everyone, good luck with whatever you decide.
post #1608 of 2596
+1 I really believe this is not an endemic issue of Panasonic plasmas, though for the sake of people who get a defective tv I hope these posts help them out with exchanges and/or returns.

My set is just fine. Manufacture date is October 2012, the only breaking in I have done with my set has been to avoid extended time on station logos, etc. as mentioned by anikun. I don't think I've hit 100 hours but Im close Im sure.

With that being said, I would be really upset if my brand new set developed the same issue and I have no problem with the discussion here. It shouldn't scare off people from buying what many consider a good value and PQ which only a couple years ago would have cost a lot more to get. For non-videophiles(or neurotics!) it's a great opportunity. Good luck all
post #1609 of 2596
has anyone tried to use this as a secondary monitor with a dvi ---> hdmi cable.... connecting the dvi port on a video card to the hdmi port of the tv?
for playing video files from your pc?

i was thinking if i constantly changed my wallpaper around so it wasn't static, since that's the only static image that would be on display.

the only thing would be all the static blacks from black bars.

anyone think that would work ok without any burn in/image retention?

i can't find an lcd for the life of me that i'm feeling and i've searched all day, but the burn in on this worries me with logos/black bars.

say i was watching the television series "charmed" in 4:3 and it has black bars on the sides so it's not misshapen, and i watched like 10 episodes without change in a playlist, which would be around 4-5 hours of the same black bars and what not, what that be a problem ya think?
post #1610 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Input lag is better on the s30 st30 lcds have glare problems also almost every set has that unless they have a matte finish or a ar coating
I had a cheap sansui 32" that had a wonderful mat screen.
post #1611 of 2596
Just ordered the 55" model from Amazon for $899 yesterday. I'm not a huge videophile and budget is a little tight, so opted for the UT series. Should be a huge upgrade from my old 50" Sony 3 2000 series 3LCD RPTV since that's only 720p, has poor black levels, screen door effect etc.

Get's delivered Monday, really looking forward to playing around with it. Opted for the Samsung 3D glasses that work with it as I'm not into 3D enough (only own 2 3D blus at the moment) to spend the $60 or so for the Panasonic ones.
post #1612 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher6 View Post

say i was watching the television series "charmed" in 4:3 and it has black bars on the sides so it's not misshapen, and i watched like 10 episodes without change in a playlist, which would be around 4-5 hours of the same black bars and what not, what that be a problem ya think?

I get what you're trying to do and Im not pretending to be an expert but the manual does state on page 2 you should avoid those kinds of things. I know you're going to avoid the still images so why not just stick to 16:9 video at least until the unit has had time to break in?
post #1613 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

Just ordered the 55" model from Amazon for $899 yesterday. I'm not a huge videophile and budget is a little tight, so opted for the UT series. Should be a huge upgrade from my old 50" Sony 3 2000 series 3LCD RPTV since that's only 720p, has poor black levels, screen door effect etc.
Get's delivered Monday, really looking forward to playing around with it. Opted for the Samsung 3D glasses that work with it as I'm not into 3D enough (only own 2 3D blus at the moment) to spend the $60 or so for the Panasonic ones.

Can I ask you what is the model number of the Samsung 3D glasses that work with this set?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
post #1614 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action378 View Post

Can I ask you what is the model number of the Samsung 3D glasses that work with this set?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Samsung SSG-4100GB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007K9P7H0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

Main difference is that they aren't rechargeable (use CR 2025 batteries which are cheap), aren't as nice looking, and don't block out light on the sides like the Panasonic ones (moot for me as I pretty much only watch movies at night). So well worth the $42 or so savings over the Panasonic ones for me since I won't watch 3D all that often anyway.
post #1615 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher6 View Post

has anyone tried to use this as a secondary monitor with a dvi ---> hdmi cable.... connecting the dvi port on a video card to the hdmi port of the tv?
for playing video files from your pc?
i was thinking if i constantly changed my wallpaper around so it wasn't static, since that's the only static image that would be on display.
the only thing would be all the static blacks from black bars.
anyone think that would work ok without any burn in/image retention?
i can't find an lcd for the life of me that i'm feeling and i've searched all day, but the burn in on this worries me with logos/black bars.
say i was watching the television series "charmed" in 4:3 and it has black bars on the sides so it's not misshapen, and i watched like 10 episodes without change in a playlist, which would be around 4-5 hours of the same black bars and what not, what that be a problem ya think?

DVI-HDMI works fine, that was my set up before I upgraded video cards. I also have Win7 set to change background images every minute or the screensaver comes on after one minute and changes pictures. Just that with the screensaver slideshow my pictures are 4:3 so it's like watching letterboxed content. I have no burn-in for IR issues. I really think the more concern you have to IR the more cautious you are with it so it will be less of an issue. Black bars do not cause IR because the pixels are off.
post #1616 of 2596
You will eventually get uneven wear tho
post #1617 of 2596
Bump on if aging your set with "break-in" content helps IR or not, and if there's any known bad manufacturing dates on this set.
post #1618 of 2596
How is the PQ on the UT50 while watching something or playing games in a lit room? I haven't heard good things about it and it is sort of making me go back on my decision to purchase it soon.
post #1619 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post

Bump on if aging your set with "break-in" content helps IR or not, and if there's any known bad manufacturing dates on this set.
Generally, aging the set does not help IR; however, in regards to the 2012 Panasonic televisions some users have reported less IR as the TV ages while others have reported more IR as the TV ages. The purpose of aging a set is to allow the phosphors to settle in before calibration; colors fluctuate most during the first few hundred hours of a plasma TV's operation.
post #1620 of 2596
I have to say this was probably my best purchase in quite a while. I've waited several months to make this post to give it some real time. I think I got my P55UT50 after much research back in April when my 6 year old plasma went out. I compared many models over several weeks before I chose and I have to say this is truly one nice TV. The picture is the best I've seen out of comparitively priced sets. I looked at many sets and even calibrated a few LEDs and couldn't get the same quality. For sports and action these are hands down better tvs. In fact I went out in December to buy a smaller TV for my bedroom, thinking I would get a 42 inch or so LED but still didn't like what I saw and have come to the conclusion that I may just need to get one of these for my bedroom once they come down in price. Now it looks like they have the smart version at Costco which they did not have when I initially bought it, and its $200 cheaper then when I bought it at Bestbuy. In the next couple of months I'll see if they have it at one of my local ones and then make the decision on whether or not to buy a 2nd one.

I do see 3 drawbacks with this set. Two are convenience factors only. First it does not have built in Wifi which for me is not a current problem since I have it wired but if something changes in tv placement or home networking this may become an issue. The second is that there are only 2 hdmi ports which hasn't as of yet been a big issue. The third issue is a more major concern and it has to do with burn in, it is still a concern with these pictures. I had some that lasted for a very long time and I know another buddy who has had a burn in for about 2 months and still has not gone away. You can say this is user error but it is still a concern but for me defintely still worth it.smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread