or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 74

post #2191 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

I can tell you from checking OTA signals that this toslink will output both Dolby Digital 5.1 for ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX, 2.0 for PBS and for all sub-stations and standard def'n.
+1 And if PBS has the occasional 5.1 broadcast then you will get PBS in 5.1 also.
post #2192 of 2596
Almost pulled the trigger today, but couldn't get past the lack of HDMI inputs and no VGA. I've got 2 PC's that need to be hooked up to the unit and I don't need another remote for an external HDMI switch. Too bad really, Best Buy would have priced match a 60" for $1100.
post #2193 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxlee View Post

Almost pulled the trigger today, but couldn't get past the lack of HDMI inputs and no VGA. I've got 2 PC's that need to be hooked up to the unit and I don't need another remote for an external HDMI switch. Too bad really, Best Buy would have priced match a 60" for $1100.
If youre using it as a monitor much then its for the best.
post #2194 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

If youre using it as a monitor much then its for the best.

Yeah, burn-in would always be a concern. But I've played with 2 LED big screens and the clouding, vertical banding and edge bleeding made me return both.
post #2195 of 2596
Need some help please. I'm trying to help a friend. He has a 60 inch version of this tv. The issue is when streaming movies from his computer, he cannot get then to play in surround sound. When he watches the preview movie (small boxed version in top left) there is surround sound. 5.1. However when he makes the movies go to full screen the surround sound stops and is played in 2.1. Does anybody know why this is? I'm assuming he has it hooked up correctly as e gets surround from other sources and while its in preview mode.
Also he was wondering how to turn off the setting that makes the set look so "fluidy". Again I'm assuming this would be the equivalent to the Samsung motion judder. Thank you very much
post #2196 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxlee View Post

Almost pulled the trigger today, but couldn't get past the lack of HDMI inputs and no VGA. I've got 2 PC's that need to be hooked up to the unit and I don't need another remote for an external HDMI switch. Too bad really, Best Buy would have priced match a 60" for $1100.
Monoprice has 2-for-1 and 3-for-1 non-powered, automatic HDMI switches.
post #2197 of 2596
Whenever I use HD2/ Full screen , The right side bezel trim I think its called, im not sure, but the black trim on the right side is abit thicker then the left side...on blu rays at that... and I already know its not my tv because ive tested this on the show room model.. does the same thing , and Ive had 2 separate UT50s and both did the same thing... everyone seems to say HD2 is the best but not having even trim around the edges isnt considered better to me , because using the 95% of picture HD1 keeps everything even and I notice no loss in resolution
post #2198 of 2596
I use HD2, haven't noticed a problem, but I'll watch for it eek.gif
post #2199 of 2596
Not sure which forum to put this under so here goes...


I'm a newbie here and just recently picked up my tcp50ut50. I am currently in the breaking in perios, however....when I run the white scrol bar I notice some fairly faint green tinge (blob?) in the lower middle of my screen...rising up a good 4 inches.... This green is very hard to notice during regular viewing and does not show up during still slides (any colour) - it really (so far) is only noticeable with the white MOVING scroll bar. I have contacted Future Shop and they will exchange it for me. Am I over reacting in getting this exchanged? Should I be happy that this green discolouration is 'hardly' noticeable - in other words, every tv has their own ticks and I should just be happy its not major??

Thank you in advance!

Update: I returned the television and received another one. Same green-ish cloud in the lower and middle part of the screen. Could this be because the pixels are just hot and will settle down in time?
post #2200 of 2596
correction its not the bezel , its the trim within the bezel, whenever I switch to HD2 , if you go up close to your screen and compare each vertical trims, 1s slightly thicker then the other.. but on HD1 it trims it to be perfectly even... and like I said ive noticed this on multiple UT50s so I know for a solid fact everyones set does this.. and if theyre saying different , theyre just not looking up close enough to discover it !
post #2201 of 2596
Amazing PQ ... great colors, tones ect.. But I am surprised people dont consider the line bleeding as a huge drop in PQ because Ive been through 3 different 55UT50's brand new out of box. Line bleeding is not just on the green rating screens and not just on screens involving text, Ive seen it coming from characters heads onto certain color walls behind them... I dont want to hear its my set blah blah .. because its not, its all ut series.. ive been through 3 , and tested multiple showroom models. I become pretty compulsive about it for awhile because I love the TV so much, I have learned to live with it.. because the PQ is still phenomenal compared to any LED/LCD or other plasmas in that price range, but it did bother me people try to say its only on the green rating screen before previews or movies because its not just there..frown.gif what im wondering is does it eventually maybe fade abit as the phosphors age, cause to me it makes sense you get extra line bleeding from the phosphors being so powerful thus helping the bleed.. hands down best TV ive owned,, but it does suck once in awhile youll see line bleed from ones head onto a wall on certain scenes .. or line bleed shadowing through someones head if theres a white bar behind there head.. but like I said its only sometimes.. on certain colored scenes..
post #2202 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by iballin88 View Post

Amazing PQ ... great colors, tones ect.. But I am surprised people dont consider the line bleeding as a huge drop in PQ because Ive been through 3 different 55UT50's brand new out of box. Line bleeding is not just on the green rating screens and not just on screens involving text, Ive seen it coming from characters heads onto certain color walls behind them... I dont want to hear its my set blah blah .. because its not, its all ut series.. ive been through 3 , and tested multiple showroom models. I become pretty compulsive about it for awhile because I love the TV so much, I have learned to live with it.. because the PQ is still phenomenal compared to any LED/LCD or other plasmas in that price range, but it did bother me people try to say its only on the green rating screen before previews or movies because its not just there..frown.gif what im wondering is does it eventually maybe fade abit as the phosphors age, cause to me it makes sense you get extra line bleeding from the phosphors being so powerful thus helping the bleed.. hands down best TV ive owned,, but it does suck once in awhile youll see line bleed from ones head onto a wall on certain scenes .. or line bleed shadowing through someones head if theres a white bar behind there head.. but like I said its only sometimes.. on certain colored scenes..

I'm pretty sure it just comes with the territory of plasmas. I can't say if it will get any better as the phosphor ages, but I'm guessing no. I have seen it a few times but never found it distracting personally, but I suppose that's going to differ from person to person.
post #2203 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

I'm pretty sure it just comes with the territory of plasmas. I can't say if it will get any better as the phosphor ages, but I'm guessing no. I have seen it a few times but never found it distracting personally, but I suppose that's going to differ from person to person.

^^^^ditto^^^ it is a known issue with all plasma's some folks are bothered by it others arent. You have to weigh the many pros of plasma vs a few weaknesses, imo the positives far outweight the negatives.
post #2204 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

^^^^ditto^^^ it is a known issue with all plasma's some folks are bothered by it others arent. You have to weigh the many pros of plasma vs a few weaknesses, imo the positives far outweight the negatives.


I agree with you. It just bothered me how people say its only on the green rating screen...When that's absolutely not true..If a characters head is in front of something like a florescent light and the angle makes the light thinner then the front of their head and their head moves you can see the light run through their head in a shadow like form of the rectangular light and fixture, but like you said, pros out weigh the cons by far.. and I am overall happy with the UT50 55 inch, after my break in period I am going to go with the pro's on this sites SM cal. options biggrin.gif..
post #2205 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by iballin88 View Post

I agree with you. It just bothered me how people say its only on the green rating screen...When that's absolutely not true..If a characters head is in front of something like a florescent light and the angle makes the light thinner then the front of their head and their head moves you can see the light run through their head in a shadow like form of the rectangular light and fixture, but like you said, pros out weigh the cons by far.. and I am overall happy with the UT50 55 inch, after my break in period I am going to go with the pro's on this sites SM cal. options biggrin.gif..

I don't think people were being untruthful that may be the only time they ever noticed it, I would fall in that category I guess smile.gif Glad you are enjoying your set, I think I have heard a good cal can mitigate line bleed to certain extent.
post #2206 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxlee View Post

Almost pulled the trigger today, but couldn't get past the lack of HDMI inputs and no VGA. I've got 2 PC's that need to be hooked up to the unit and I don't need another remote for an external HDMI switch. Too bad really, Best Buy would have priced match a 60" for $1100.
The unit has a net port that supports 5e or better so if your pc can hook to a ethernet switch the TV can become a part of your home network. a 9 port gigabite switch is about 25 at Monoprice.
post #2207 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by iballin88 View Post

correction its not the bezel , its the trim within the bezel, whenever I switch to HD2 , if you go up close to your screen and compare each vertical trims, 1s slightly thicker then the other.. but on HD1 it trims it to be perfectly even... and like I said ive noticed this on multiple UT50s so I know for a solid fact everyones set does this.. and if theyre saying different , theyre just not looking up close enough to discover it !

I figured it out!!! its because of the pixel orbiter I bet, when I see one side thicker, its because the orbiter has shifted the image that way for a few minutes , because now I am notice it most of the time is even around the edges , and only once in awhile its uneven... surprised none of the pros were able to tell me that lol frown.gif
post #2208 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Probably because either no one cares or they haven't noticed it, not everyone goes over their set with a microscope

Aww dont act like this isnt the place for me to ask question about the ut50 in any regard .. no reason to get ignorant kid. youde be surprised how much help the top 3 pros helped me in PM . keep your opinions to your self. if people can bicker about line bleed and verticle banding on here, I can bring up an uneven screen trim. =)
post #2209 of 2596
glad you posted the answer, once you figured it out; someone else may have the same question
post #2210 of 2596
So I pulled the trigger on a P50UT50 a month ago in large due to the heavy price drops and this thread and have been nothing if not incredibly pleased with my purchase. However, now that I'm looking for the accompanying 3D glasses I'm finding that the price on Amazon has gone up 35 dollars and they are not sold by Amazon anymore and are farming the sales out. I'm seeing everywhere that no one has stock on these anymore and I'm curious to find out if any of you know what the deal is.

Are these completely discontinued? It looks like new model year Panasonics will only be functioning with passive 3D so it looks like they won't be replaced. I'm not thrilled about the idea of being forced to use the Samsung glasses but it appears that may be my only option at this point. Thanks.
post #2211 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhadams View Post

So I pulled the trigger on a P50UT50 a month ago in large due to the heavy price drops and this thread and have been nothing if not incredibly pleased with my purchase. However, now that I'm looking for the accompanying 3D glasses I'm finding that the price on Amazon has gone up 35 dollars and they are not sold by Amazon anymore and are farming the sales out. I'm seeing everywhere that no one has stock on these anymore and I'm curious to find out if any of you know what the deal is.

Are these completely discontinued? It looks like new model year Panasonics will only be functioning with passive 3D so it looks like they won't be replaced. I'm not thrilled about the idea of being forced to use the Samsung glasses but it appears that may be my only option at this point. Thanks.

Where did you hear the 2013 models are going passive ? Not the case There will be 5th generation Panny 3d glasses
post #2212 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Where did you hear the 2013 models are going passive ? Not the case There will be 5th generation Panny 3d glasses

Some news website I found while googling. I just assumed they were correct but I guess not.

So there will be another type of active shutter 3D glasses released along with the new models later this year?
post #2213 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

glad you posted the answer, once you figured it out; someone else may have the same question

Thanks! Yeah its for sure what it was because on HD2 there's no extra image to shift like when in HD1 a piece of the 5% shifts over when its orbiting so you don't notice extra black trim on left or right or top or bottem, so on HD2 which we all probably use, when pixel orbiter is enable, when it shifts to the left or right , it will make 1 side thicker then the other with black trim because its already showing 100% of the image , so when it shifts over for example to the left , the right side of your image will have slight thicker black edge, I know its not a big deal alot wouldent of noticed it, but im abit compulsive and check on things just to make sure my set wasent faulty, anyways hope this may help anyone thats picky and thinks there screen was uneven and didnt notice it was pixel orbiter enabled.
post #2214 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhadams View Post

Some news website I found while googling. I just assumed they were correct but I guess not.

So there will be another type of active shutter 3D glasses released along with the new models later this year?

Yes and they are backwards compatible as far as I know
post #2215 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by iballin88 View Post

Thanks! Yeah its for sure what it was because on HD2 there's no extra image to shift like when in HD1 a piece of the 5% shifts over when its orbiting so you don't notice extra black trim on left or right or top or bottem, so on HD2 which we all probably use, when pixel orbiter is enable, when it shifts to the left or right , it will make 1 side thicker then the other with black trim because its already showing 100% of the image , so when it shifts over for example to the left , the right side of your image will have slight thicker black edge, I know its not a big deal alot wouldent of noticed it, but im abit compulsive and check on things just to make sure my set wasent faulty, anyways hope this may help anyone thats picky and thinks there screen was uneven and didnt notice it was pixel orbiter enabled.
Actually that a pretty common question and has been answered probably a dozen times if you were to read the whole thread.
post #2216 of 2596
Hey all!

Just got the 60" yesterday and I must say it is a great TV for the price! Some quick impressions:

This is my first Plasma, I've been an LCD player since I've known HD TVs, but I think this TV smashes the ones I've had before (from Samsung and Sony), I've always been scared of IR and Plasma problems because I'm an AVID gamer, but now I'm a "believer" - Plasmas are better for everything, the motion clarity is something I can never get on LCD without turning on awful motion flows etc that would introduce even more input lag. But the clarity here doesn't come without a price though, I noticed some trailing when I played Journey, but I can live with it.

And I'm already gaming on this beast and cranking up the contrast to 90, I know all about IR and I'm running a certain clip from an USB flash drive when I'm not watching/playing on the TV. My trick for early gaming is hiding the HUD if the game allows it, or just pressing start every couple of minutes to hide the HUD and etc smile.gif I'm not into multiplayer and so this isn't a big deal for me. So far I haven't noticed any IR.

And yes there's some buzz when displaying a bright image, but I heard this is a common thing with Plasma.
Edited by nbnt - 3/7/13 at 2:47am
post #2217 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Actually that a pretty common question and has been answered probably a dozen times if you were to read the whole thread.

I tried searching for it with no luck, sorry I don't have time to flip through every single page of the forum :X. But my bad I guess.
post #2218 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by iballin88 View Post

I tried searching for it with no luck, sorry I don't have time to flip through every single page of the forum :X. But my bad I guess.
No problem. Just making an observation.
post #2219 of 2596
I recently moved from LG LED 55WL5600 (LED Bleeding) and bought the 55UT50 from Costco(on March 1st). I like the UT50, but here are my concerns:
1. Is there a way to know how many hours the TV has run (so I could get less strict on watching 4:3 content or 16:9 with top bars)
2. I find the brightness not as good as LED (I have tuned it as per Anikun07)
3. If, when used for less than 100 hours, I watch a 2 hour movie with black bars on top and bottom, would that cause any issues ?
post #2220 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampras View Post

I recently moved from LG LED 55WL5600 (LED Bleeding) and bought the 55UT50 from Costco(on March 1st). I like the UT50, but here are my concerns:
1. Is there a way to know how many hours the TV has run (so I could get less strict on watching 4:3 content or 16:9 with top bars)
2. I find the brightness not as good as LED (I have tuned it as per Anikun07)
3. If, when used for less than 100 hours, I watch a 2 hour movie with black bars on top and bottom, would that cause any issues ?
You should have no problems watching a movie with black bars with this tv right out of the box.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread