or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 32

post #931 of 2596
Well, I have had my new 55UT50 for about 10 days now, and I think it's safe to say... it's here to stay!

The picture is incredibly detailed, silky smooth, rich vibrant colors, and the blacks are just about as deep as the Grand Canyon!

I'm still a ways away from the 150 hr mark, and I haven't even brought out the "good stuff" yet in terms of content - mostly have just been watching TV and past seasons of 24 on Netflix via XBox to break it in with full screen content. Actually, I am impressed how much clarity and dimension the picture has, even with 8 year "old" programming streamed from online.

Have also done some light gaming (Call of Duty mainly), and watched a couple movies (mostly comedies since they are 16:9, only one with letterbox thus far)... I have been extremely cautious about settings, programming, etc thus far in breaking it in, but I haven't seen even a millisecond of IR or anything. Will continue to be overly careful for the break-in period, but eagerly anticipating the chance to more frequently watch "serious" cinematic movies and game for longer periods.

For video games especially, the image is just so much cleaner and crisper, and the dimension added by the dark blacks is incredible. Games really do look much more realistic now, and elements that previously seemed like lazy or sloppy texture shading through my LCD screen now resemble actual cloth/stitching, debris, and scenery. Can't wait for the next hockey season to start so I can see how well it handles the high speeds of the sport.

I will say, the reflections in a brightly lit room (untreated windows) are somewhat annoying, but no more so than old CRT TV's were growing up as a kid... I think if I ever have a room that's forced to be bright by natural light, then I may consider LCD/LED again, but for a typical living room, with mostly evening viewing and/or decent/dark curtains during the day, the pros of this set far outweigh the glare issue, which is nearly never noticed anyway. Another drawback, only 2 HDMI inputs. Knew that going into purchase, but kind of a lame limiting factor for an expensive TV. With HD cable, Xbox, and Wii I am already at maximum capacity (and luckily the Wii's HD output is via component cables anyway).

My set came with the HB20 sound bar system, which is pretty decent despite it's lack of audio inputs. I use it with the HDMI (arc) channel, so the TV/cable remotes are able to interface with it. The sound isn't spectacular, but does add quality and punch well beyond the capabilities of the built-in speakers. Not very necessary for TV, but certainly nice for games, and quite wonderful for movies.

All my initial hesitancy and worries aside, the 55UT50 has impressed me to no end. Once I'm able to start fine tuning the settings and running better content, I don't doubt that the TV that's already blown me away will just continue to thoroughly impress. I was coming from a high quality Samsung 40" LCD that I was already quite pleased with, and this is just worlds better in every way imaginable. Unless the IR starts acting up out of nowhere, or it develops other odd performance issues over time, I might just be a plasma man now.

Couldn't. Be. Happier.
post #932 of 2596
Thank you all for the great reviews and thoughts on the UT50 series, especiall Neo. Neo, I know your agenda on this thread is simply to shed light on how great the UT50 is for those who have dismissed as Panasonic's low end PDP, but I gotta say I'm glad I read your posts. I've read through the first 15 pages of this thread and have to say that I'll be getting a UT50 instead of ST50. The price point is superb and it will blow my Sony 32BX300 out of the water when I can buy and bring one of these home. I'm pretty sure I want to go with the 55" as I think 60" would be too big, I sit about 10' away from the TV now and I don't think I would have enough width along the wall where the TV is to be able to have a panel much wider than 48". It's funny that I was originally set on a 50" ST50 but Best Buy only carries that series in a 55" in-store, so my mind has been on 55" now, but they don't carry the 55" UT50 in-store! Luckily though, the UT50 seems more common in stores - at least Target, Walmart, etc. have them on their websites. It will be a few months yet 'til I can buy a PDP but I'm super excited for it.
post #933 of 2596
I was wondering if black and white movies produced more buzzing than color content because of the likelihood that there will be more bright whites?
post #934 of 2596
Today got the second & last replacement 50UT50 from Amazon & this is also suffering from the vertical banding/DSE (One is on right side just 1 Inch from the edge & quite noticeable)...
First one was manufactured in May 2012 & next two's were in June 2010 --- Seems like who has got before May are not experiencing any banding or DSE
post #935 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhatt View Post

Today got the second & last replacement 50UT50 from Amazon & this is also suffering from the vertical banding/DSE (One is on right side just 1 Inch from the edge & quite noticeable)...
First one was manufactured in May 2012 & next two's were in June 2010 --- Seems like who has got before May are not experiencing any banding or DSE

Not true. Had Feb and Mar builds with banding issues.
post #936 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis55 View Post

Not true. Had Feb and Mar builds with banding issues.

As this is the last replacement, will try to call Panasonic if they can at least accept the issue. Haven't tried calling them during first two sets due to Amazon's better return/replacement service. I read through other forums & many UT50 & ST50 owners have reported this issue but no specific response from Panasonic yet, even many have got response like "This falls withing Panasonic Specs"
post #937 of 2596
Is the banding so obvious during playback or are you looking for a display that's perfect beyond what'spossible for this unit? And I don't mean to sound like your complaining too much, not by any means. I'm just wondering since 3 sets have this issue is it something other owners don't mind having or find acceptable? I know others use sounded quite critical of your posts and I'm just wondering what you expect/are looking for.
post #938 of 2596
I have read through the entire thread and just wanted to thank everyone for their additions! Due to the majority of positive comments and responses on this set, I have just ordered my own 50ut50 smile.gif I do not receive the set until Monday but I thought I would share with you guys that Amazon is currently selling the set for 849.99. Thought this might stir some interest although I have seen people post lower prices throughout the thread. I thought this was a great deal so I pulled the trigger. Can't wait until the TV gets here and I will definitely post my reactions after the break in period. Thanks again guys!
post #939 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

Is the banding so obvious during playback or are you looking for a display that's perfect beyond what'spossible for this unit? And I don't mean to sound like your complaining too much, not by any means. I'm just wondering since 3 sets have this issue is it something other owners don't mind having or find acceptable? I know others use sounded quite critical of your posts and I'm just wondering what you expect/are looking for.

Very first set I have returned after 29 days. I noticed the banding after 3 weeks and quite annoying while watching cricket/football (Once you know issue is there then hard to ignore it). I think I became little picky after returning the first set & was searching for the banding issue instead of enjoying the TV. But its really the issue & you can literally see those banding while panning shots. Within a day or two I'll post the pictures of the new set which I just received today, let me know your opinion. One of my friend have this year Samsung E550, & it doesn't have such issues at all. I really don't want to let the Panasonic go, so I was going through replacement or else i would have switched to Samsung.
post #940 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhatt View Post

Very first set I have returned after 29 days. I noticed the banding after 3 weeks and quite annoying while watching cricket/football (Once you know issue is there then hard to ignore it). I think I became little picky after returning the first set & was searching for the banding issue instead of enjoying the TV. But its really the issue & you can literally see those banding while panning shots. Within a day or two I'll post the pictures of the new set which I just received today, let me know your opinion. One of my friend have this year Samsung E550, & it doesn't have such issues at all. I really don't want to let the Panasonic go, so I was going through replacement or else i would have switched to Samsung.

I completely understand what you mean about once you see it you can't stop looking for it or not notice it anymore. When I tuned in The National Parks on Amazon Prime this week I noticed horizontal banding(?), or at least some type of horizontal noise that would come and go at a set frequency, kind of made me think of old copier paper with the white and green lines, but once I noticed it I couldn't possibly put it out of my mind. Luckily NF did not have this problem on their stream. Amazon said they couldn't replicate it so I assume it was my BD player. Anyway, I understand and I hope this one works well for you. But if you get a Samsung I'd be interested to hear your impressions. I was considering the E6500,7000, or 8000, but I think Panasonic is still at the top of my list.

I was looking at Best Buy's website earlier since I decided to keep a spreadsheet of prices over the next several weeks, before I can buy one, and noticed that the only models and sizes they carry in-store near me are these: 50-inch UT50, 55-inch ST50, and 60-inch UT50. So I will be being one of those. I like the idea of being able to return it in a 15 minute drive instead of several days as is the case with online retailers. They carry a U50, too, but that's not one of my considerations.
post #941 of 2596
I found these settings over at Plasma TV Buying Guide and was wondering if anyone wanted to try them and see what they think? Can the pro settings even be done on the UT50, perhaps via service menu? I see that they say it's for UT50 sizes and a GT50. They claim the higher tiered series got better blacks, but perhaps the weren't testing in a nice, dark room. But they also said the GT50 got better blacks than the ST50, and as far as everything I've read here suggests they should be the same because they have the same panel. Furthermore, based on posts on this thread by members like PathofNeo, the UT50 does just as well if not better, at least with color and brightness, that the higher series because it doesn't have the louvre filter. And the louvre filter is the reason why Plasma TV Buying Guide gave the ST and GT better remarks for blacks (I didn't read the review on the VT50).

edit: No Links?

http://reviews.plasmatv buyingguide.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-ut50-picturesettings.html
^please remove the space after plasmatv
post #942 of 2596
I've got another question for those of you with large screen TVs (50-inch or bigger), does a bigger screen need to sit lower to the floor so the center of the screen isn't too high from eye level? Right now the bottom of the bezel of my 32-inch LCD is eye level, so I have to look up just a little bit to be looking at the center. The way I have things set up I think a 50-inch screen would fit right in, but anything larger and the sides would be in in the way of the front speakers. I will post a picture of my stage so you can see, it's a little difficult to explain.

Edit: picture added.
HTStage.jpg

I'm afraid that if I get a screen like the 55-inch or 60-inch that it will be too high. I know I'll have to create a new footing for the plasma TV's pedestal to keep the TV above the center speaker. I can make it so the TV is a couple inches closer (lower) to the speaker. But also the space between the mains is about 47 inches, the perfect width for a 50" UT50 which the manual lists as having a bezel width of 46.7 inches, but the 55" ST50 is 51 inches wide. And the 60" UT50 is 52.3" wide. They're all pretty close in size (width), but if I were to buy the 55 or 60 inch screen, my Tuba HT (next to the right speaker) would have to move since it's against the wall. But I've been considering doing that anyway. Boy, what a tough decision. But I think the main deciding factor will be display height. And that brings me back to my original question, should a larger display be kept lower in order to keep the center of the screen closer to eye level? Would this have an effect when watching 3D?
Edited by anikun07 - 8/3/12 at 9:13pm
post #943 of 2596
Anikun

What you may be missing is the bezel around the screen is thinner than what you're showing in your photo.

I went from a 5 year old 60 pioneer plasma to a 65" panasonic plasma. For the screen to clear my center channel, I had to build a platform to raise the display 3 inches and had to lower the center channel a few inches. Sure was a lot of trouble but I can see that others are also having to rethink positioning due to the difference in the surround bezel..

I personally prefer the center of the screen to be about eye level. I had to go a little higher on the 65" as the center channel was having to sit too low to the floor otherwise.

Also looking at the photo, it looks like your fron L/R speakers might not be far enough apart. How far away do you normaly sit from your display?
post #944 of 2596
My eyes are just under 10 feet away from the screen. I thought the mains were supposed to be fairly close to the screen instead of further apart, say in the corners of the room. I don't know how much higher I would want the center of the TV to be, but I think I like it just a little higher because I have to look up a tiny bit and it feel more relaxed because the back up my head rests on the sofa cushion if I want and I don't have look down with my eyes. But I'd never want my TV up by the ceiling like on a wall mount.biggrin.gif
post #945 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofer67 View Post

Well, I have had my new 55UT50 for about 10 days now, and I think it's safe to say... it's here to stay!
The picture is incredibly detailed, silky smooth, rich vibrant colors, and the blacks are just about as deep as the Grand Canyon!
I'm still a ways away from the 150 hr mark, and I haven't even brought out the "good stuff" yet in terms of content - mostly have just been watching TV and past seasons of 24 on Netflix via XBox to break it in with full screen content. Actually, I am impressed how much clarity and dimension the picture has, even with 8 year "old" programming streamed from online.
Have also done some light gaming (Call of Duty mainly), and watched a couple movies (mostly comedies since they are 16:9, only one with letterbox thus far)... I have been extremely cautious about settings, programming, etc thus far in breaking it in, but I haven't seen even a millisecond of IR or anything. Will continue to be overly careful for the break-in period, but eagerly anticipating the chance to more frequently watch "serious" cinematic movies and game for longer periods.
For video games especially, the image is just so much cleaner and crisper, and the dimension added by the dark blacks is incredible. Games really do look much more realistic now, and elements that previously seemed like lazy or sloppy texture shading through my LCD screen now resemble actual cloth/stitching, debris, and scenery. Can't wait for the next hockey season to start so I can see how well it handles the high speeds of the sport.
I will say, the reflections in a brightly lit room (untreated windows) are somewhat annoying, but no more so than old CRT TV's were growing up as a kid... I think if I ever have a room that's forced to be bright by natural light, then I may consider LCD/LED again, but for a typical living room, with mostly evening viewing and/or decent/dark curtains during the day, the pros of this set far outweigh the glare issue, which is nearly never noticed anyway. Another drawback, only 2 HDMI inputs. Knew that going into purchase, but kind of a lame limiting factor for an expensive TV. With HD cable, Xbox, and Wii I am already at maximum capacity (and luckily the Wii's HD output is via component cables anyway).
My set came with the HB20 sound bar system, which is pretty decent despite it's lack of audio inputs. I use it with the HDMI (arc) channel, so the TV/cable remotes are able to interface with it. The sound isn't spectacular, but does add quality and punch well beyond the capabilities of the built-in speakers. Not very necessary for TV, but certainly nice for games, and quite wonderful for movies.
All my initial hesitancy and worries aside, the 55UT50 has impressed me to no end. Once I'm able to start fine tuning the settings and running better content, I don't doubt that the TV that's already blown me away will just continue to thoroughly impress. I was coming from a high quality Samsung 40" LCD that I was already quite pleased with, and this is just worlds better in every way imaginable. Unless the IR starts acting up out of nowhere, or it develops other odd performance issues over time, I might just be a plasma man now.
Couldn't. Be. Happier.

Just a heads up for your Wii, be sure to set it in FullScreen/4:3 if you want the best possible picture
of course using component cables. 16:9 makes wii games look blurry/fuzzy and dull considering you're basically
taking a 640x480p image, which wii games are and using it to fill in the sides of the screen. Where as 4:3
you're getting the proper resolution/image and the PQ looks a lot more crisper and clear. wink.gif

Anyways, how does the U50 compare to the UT50 concerning PQ? Doesn't the UT50 just add in 2400hz and 3D?
post #946 of 2596
The UK version has gamma adjustment, but no custom mode.
Also the USA model seems to have few other things the UK model does not.
Does anyone have the proper settings for the uk model.
post #947 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Hamilton View Post

The UK version has gamma adjustment, but no custom mode.
Also the USA model seems to have few other things the UK model does not.
Does anyone have the proper settings for the uk model.

If you go to the UK version of this site; AVForums.com and do a search for UT50 you'll find a review on the UT50 which includes screen shots - apparently the screen shots of the the settings used are the correct "calibrated" ones. cool.gif
post #948 of 2596
I was at Sam's Club today and looked over at an LG LCD they had that was playing The Empire Strikes Back, and I don't know what settings they had it on but it looked so un-film like. I kept thinking the motion made it look like it was a video games instead of of movie. Is this usually the 120 Hz setting or motion flow? Is that something the UT50 does or can be disabled? That isn't an effect of 3:2 pulldown is it?

Also, I was at Best Buy yesterday and the salesman said their protection plan covered the screen such as burn-in, though not accidental damage. I don't know if most other protection plans cover burn-in and other screen damages.
post #949 of 2596
I've watched the original Star Wars films and they look film like to me on the UT50 in with all that processing stuff off. On my brother's LG LED/LCD at 120hz it did look different and even though I got used to it while watching, I prefer the way those movies look on the UT50.
post #950 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I was at Sam's Club today and looked over at an LG LCD they had that was playing The Empire Strikes Back, and I don't know what settings they had it on but it looked so un-film like. I kept thinking the motion made it look like it was a video games instead of of movie. Is this usually the 120 Hz setting or motion flow? Is that something the UT50 does or can be disabled? That isn't an effect of 3:2 pulldown is it?
Also, I was at Best Buy yesterday and the salesman said their protection plan covered the screen such as burn-in, though not accidental damage. I don't know if most other protection plans cover burn-in and other screen damages.

Thats the infamous so-called "soap opera effect" that makes film look like video.
Its video motion processing that adds extra predicted frames to the original 24frame/sec rate to output 60/120/240 fps.
Some like the smoother look in pans and credit rolls, but others don't like the look.
Most LCD sets have a setting where you can adjust that effect.
Most plasma sets don't need it and don't have the feature, but the newer Panasonic plasmas have a motion setting now in the advanced settings where you can enable the effect if you like it at different degrees (weak, medium, or strong) - but most importantly there is an OFF setting if you prefer the original "Film" speed look.
post #951 of 2596
Alright, so it seems that the ST30 is the ultimate Panasonic Plasma to game on since it's rocking the least amount of lag 16ms-32ms.
yet there's only 'one' thing that's stopping me from making the purchase. And that's the added in filter, which i'm afraid may make videogame visuals look softer/less crisp or clear
in comparison to panny set 'without' the filter, such as the UT50 or last years S30. At least that's what somebody has been saying about the ST50 this year, where as the UT50 doesn't have that new anti-glare
filter and because of that the image looks crisper and cleaner. Does this apply to the filter added in with the ST30 as well? I hope not!
post #952 of 2596
Best Buy running special again, free blu-ray player with purchase of 50UT50. Player not named but it's listed at $149.00.
post #953 of 2596
On the 50UT50. Does anyone have any input on how much black border should be showing or be acceptable to be seen on all sources even with overscan set to on or off.
I think they call it hd size 1 and 2 in USA. I'm still getting roughly half a centimetre at the top. is this acceptable on this set.
This includes all full screen films that should go right to the top and bottom.
post #954 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Hamilton View Post

On the 50UT50. Does anyone have any input on how much black border should be showing or be acceptable to be seen on all sources even with overscan set to on or off.
I think they call it hd size 1 and 2 in USA. I'm still getting roughly half a centimetre at the top. is this acceptable on this set.
This includes all full screen films that should go right to the top and bottom.
There is just some small unused space around the screen, you are not losing any active pixels. A border of about 1/8"-1/4" is common. When you're using Full HD Size 2, you were seeing the entire image just as it came from the source (assuming UK sets have the HD1 and HD2 settings). - this can be confirmed with an AVS709 resolution test pattern screen. From what I've read and experienced, this is common on all plasmas. Hope this is what you were asking about.
post #955 of 2596
Yes it's call overscan on or off, with overscan of it gives you the full intended image but still left with about half a centimetre of black border at the top.
I take it this is normal then. It does not matter what source is used, either blu-ray, 1080i broadcast anything alway leaves the same amount of black border at the top.
post #956 of 2596
On my Sony 32" LCD, with over scan set to -1 (the options are -1, 0, +1) the picture fills to the top and bottom, so perhaps this is a Panasonic thing. But I do know that if I have it set to 0, then the black bars on 1.85:1 content is removed and fitted to the screen, but then it's cutting off the sides of the picture.
post #957 of 2596
I have seen the oil painting effect being discussed the MOST in this thread. I have an ST50 with this problem. I am likely going to try and get a replacement and see if the new panel exhibits this same problem. How common is this problem? I do believe some people keep saying this is normal, but it absolutely should not be normal. It looks atrocious in 720p. I wouldn't mind if the picture was "soft" and not as sharp as 1080p. I could totally understand that. I feel like there is an oil painting filter being applied OVER the picture. Like something you could do with a cell phone camera.

Is this a common problem among all the 2012 Panasonic plasma sets? I REALLY don't want to get a Samsung because I keep hearing the 2012 Panasonic TV's have a better picture. I absolutely love this TV outside this dreaded oil painting effect.

People are NOT going to notice this if their set is plugged into an AVR. I am curious about the people who do NOT see this issue and is not hooked into an AVR. The 360 has a built in hardware scaler along with my cable box. This is fine because I can set both to 1080i/p and avoid the whole issue of 480p/720p oil painting effect. Unfortunately, the PS3 does not have a built in hardware scaler. Most PS3 games are 720p so this is not something I could just live with. I want a replacement, but I am curious if this is just a common problem.

Does anyone NOT have this effect without the use of an AVR?

Again here is the pic in 720p and then 1080p. You can test this on your PS3 by setting it to 720p and then viewing various images/ friends list icons/photo gallery app icon.

Here it is in 1080p (normal).


And now the 720p oil painted mess
post #958 of 2596
I forgot to ask in my previous post about the oil painting appearance. When I was looking at the Panasonic plasma screens at Best Buy over the weekend I noticed that picture (on the 60") looked like it had fuzzies like the good ol' days of analog broadcast but at a much smaller scale. It wasn't really noticeable from a distance of a few feet, but I didn't notice it at all on the 80" LCD above it. Does this sound like the oil painting effect or not? When I asked about it the salesman said it was more than likely due to the fact that the video feed was going to 20+ screens so the original feed was degraded because of it.
post #959 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I forgot to ask in my previous post about the oil painting appearance. When I was looking at the Panasonic plasma screens at Best Buy over the weekend I noticed that picture (on the 60") looked like it had fuzzies like the good ol' days of analog broadcast but at a much smaller scale. It wasn't really noticeable from a distance of a few feet, but I didn't notice it at all on the 80" LCD above it. Does this sound like the oil painting effect or not? When I asked about it the salesman said it was more than likely due to the fact that the video feed was going to 20+ screens so the original feed was degraded because of it.

No, it doesn't look fuzzy. It looks pretty much identical to a 1080p image but with a oil painting filter applied on top of it. It doesn't really look any less sharp. Check my last post that shows the difference in 1080p and 720p.
post #960 of 2596
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I forgot to ask in my previous post about the oil painting appearance. When I was looking at the Panasonic plasma screens at Best Buy over the weekend I noticed that picture (on the 60") looked like it had fuzzies like the good ol' days of analog broadcast but at a much smaller scale. It wasn't really noticeable from a distance of a few feet, but I didn't notice it at all on the 80" LCD above it. Does this sound like the oil painting effect or not? When I asked about it the salesman said it was more than likely due to the fact that the video feed was going to 20+ screens so the original feed was degraded because of it.
No what you are described is typical plasma dithering - only noticeable up really close to the screen. LCDs don't have dithering.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread