or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › my pioneer just melted, literaly
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my pioneer just melted, literaly

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
My woot pioneer vsx 521k just literaly melted down. I got it six months ago for my dad. He ended up not using it so it went into a box and storage. My battleship onkyo 797 started having lots of issues with 6.1/7.1 tracks (known problem) so I changed everything out (wires) for hdmi, and popped in the pioneer. It worked for about a week. Then today under all day heavy use and 90deg F heat, it turned off during Mad Men. It would click on but not click the second time when an amp kicks in and just turns off. I went up to take a look, the entire top of it has deformed / melted. It looks like someone dropped a 4" steel ball on it but there is no sign of distress.

Anyway, time to do what I HATE and make a fast purchase to replace it.

I would like something like my old onkyo 797 in terms of build quality.

My setup is only 5.1. My speakers are all old polk RT400s. Everything is hdmi now. And if at all possible I would like a remote that lights up 100%. I would also prefer a minimal face / not a lot of lights & buttons if possible.

I obviously will not buy another pioneer. I would rather not get a Denon because everyone has one. Are all the new yamaha's out? Ive always listed after marantz and nad but I think they are out of my price range. I need to stick in the <$500 world.
post #2 of 24
You don't want a denon cause everyone has one...odd lol. Onkyo 709?
post #3 of 24
You can get a Marantz 5005 or 5006 under $500 from accessories4less.com. I think both have free shipping.
post #4 of 24
Pictures.
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You can get a Marantz 5005 or 5006 under $500 from accessories4less.com. I think both have free shipping.

^^^ This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Pictures.

^^^ and this...
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

You don't want a denon cause everyone has one...odd lol.

+1. There is a reason everyone has one.
post #7 of 24
If it is 6 months old, is it under warranty?
post #8 of 24
Before buying another receiver, I would make sure where it's placed won't get too hot. No receiver can take excessive heat.

I would think if the pioneer produced enough heat on it's own to fail, it would have failed long before the case deformed. My hunch is wherever it was placed gets too hot.
post #9 of 24
Pio's are known for running notoriously cool. Do you mean you ran it hard in literal 90 degree heat? I'd be more worried about me breaking down more than my reciever with it that hot. Mad Men indeed.
post #10 of 24
All AVRs need ventilation. If it was in a sealed "entertainment center", that might explain what happened, especially if it's taller than the previous AVR, blocking more of the airflow.
post #11 of 24
That kind of meltdown sounds like there would be flames...
post #12 of 24
Interesting. No sign of distress but the (presumably?) metal top panel got hot enough to sag? Hmmm...I have a hard time coming up with a plausible scenario that explains that.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

All AVRs need ventilation. If it was in a sealed "entertainment center", that might explain what happened, especially if it's taller than the previous AVR, blocking more of the airflow.


Exactly..
The AVR needs at least 4" of free air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover..

This is usually mentioned in the Operation Guides, but many, many users seem to miss the point or ignore it..

Just my $0.02...
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post

My woot pioneer vsx 521k just literaly melted down. I got it six months ago for my dad. He ended up not using it so it went into a box and storage. My battleship onkyo 797 started having lots of issues with 6.1/7.1 tracks (known problem) so I changed everything out (wires) for hdmi, and popped in the pioneer. It worked for about a week. Then today under all day heavy use and 90deg F heat, it turned off during Mad Men. It would click on but not click the second time when an amp kicks in and just turns off. I went up to take a look, the entire top of it has deformed / melted. It looks like someone dropped a 4" steel ball on it but there is no sign of distress.

Anyway, time to do what I HATE and make a fast purchase to replace it.

I would like something like my old onkyo 797 in terms of build quality.

My setup is only 5.1. My speakers are all old polk RT400s. Everything is hdmi now. And if at all possible I would like a remote that lights up 100%. I would also prefer a minimal face / not a lot of lights & buttons if possible.

I obviously will not buy another pioneer. I would rather not get a Denon because everyone has one. Are all the new yamaha's out? Ive always listed after marantz and nad but I think they are out of my price range. I need to stick in the <$500 world.

weird, you want to dismiss probably the coolest running AVR and buy one of the hottest running AVR? I wouldn't dismiss Pios just because yours melted

I had 2 Pios previously and they barely registered any kind of heat. I have one of those that everybody has now and even though it doesn't run all that hot, still hotter than the Pio.

Have you opened it up to see if you could find the meltdown reason?
post #15 of 24
If its under warranty why don't you just call and get it replaced...
post #16 of 24
Hello,
As you live in Northern California, I would check out Fry's. I know someone in Oregon who got an open box Onkyo TX-NR809 for literally 70% off and had a NIB 709 for $50 less than the 809. They are simply blowing out the x09's to make room for the new Onkyos.
Cheers,
AD
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
I ended up getting a Dennon 3312 Ci. Got a great price and am quite happy.

Only complaint is the Audacity mike is real sensitive. I had to try four different times before it worked. Had to close the windows, unplug the refrigerator and water cooler and wait for house to be empty but it eventually worked.

Also it seems to me that the last testing location of Audacity gets priority as wherever that is, I seem to get better sound.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post

I ended up getting a Dennon 3312 Ci. Got a great price and am quite happy.

Only complaint is the Audacity mike is real sensitive. I had to try four different times before it worked. Had to close the windows, unplug the refrigerator and water cooler and wait for house to be empty but it eventually worked.

Also it seems to me that the last testing location of Audacity gets priority as wherever that is, I seem to get better sound.
That's very strange. The first location is supposed to be the primary one. Supposedly it determines the speaker relative volume and distance settings, for example. See the Audyssey FAQ in the dedicated thread at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1
post #19 of 24
^^^^
I'm pretty certain it does. I seems to take a tad longer to make the calculation than the other positions. As well, if the OP likes it like that...
post #20 of 24
This would be my recommendation. It will provide you with about 90% or more of what you requested. Plus it will sound a hell of a lot better than that Pioneer.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Harman-Kardon-AVR-2600-7-1-Channel-65-Watt-Receiver-/78486149
post #21 of 24
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Before buying another receiver, I would make sure where it's placed won't get too hot. No receiver can take excessive heat.


I would think if the pioneer produced enough heat on it's own to fail, it would have failed long before the case deformed. My hunch is wherever it was placed gets too hot.

I went with a Marantz and before locating the receiver in the entertainment cabinet, pulled out a drill with an 1 1/2" spade bit attached to the chuck and drilled six openings at the back of the shelf the receiver is sitting on. Three at the top and three at the bottom so there's plenty of convection air flow. Marantz asks for twelve inches above the receiver. Since I can't meet these requirements with the entertainment cabinet, when in use, I open the front cabinet door for additional air flow. Denon also asks for twelve inches of clearance on all sides.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-521-k_OperatingInstructions020711.pdf

FWIW, I looked at the manual for the Pioneer VSX 521-k and pg 2 of the manual asks for 40cm (sixteen inches) on the top and 20cm (eight inches) on the sides and back with a 35C or 95F max operating environment.

eek.gif

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 7/13/12 at 8:54pm
post #23 of 24
Even with the holes, you might want to consider adding a fan if there's room.
post #24 of 24
Thanks for the fan thought. Marantz recommended an add on fan for the receiver also. Something to be seriously considered. There would be room on the back panel. Nothing that a keyhole saw, drill and fifty to seventy-five bucks and a spare hour or so won't fix.

Cooling fan examples.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 7/14/12 at 9:13am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › my pioneer just melted, literaly