or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › D-cinema Equipment and Theaters › Dolby Atmos Theatre System
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dolby Atmos Theatre System - Page 22

post #631 of 922
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Awesome Peter, thx!

Do you happen to know what equipment was used or room/screen size?
While this article from yesteryear has some interesting info about the room, size is not part of it. Based on the number of seats I'd guesstimate it is roughly 23' wide, 30' deep, 20' high. Give or take.
post #632 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post


Roger - do you happen to know the reasoning / rationale for this one single speaker that appears to be at the midpoint of the room? It's not anywhere in the Atmos speaker standard as described in their current guidelines. Given that this is also a working lab, perhaps that's the reason why it's there, I just don't know.
post #633 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Almost looks like JBL Synthesis speakers, line the Synthesis LS, but would be interesting to know for sure.
Actually they look like JBL Pro not Synthesis if you look at the horn.
post #634 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Actually the entrance is in the front to the left of the screen.

The back door goes to projection.

Thanks but I was talking bout the parking garage back entrance in the first picture in the parking garage where it says Dolby Laboratories. Thought it seemed like a cool back entrance.
post #635 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Thanks but I was talking bout the parking garage back entrance in the first picture in the parking garage where it says Dolby Laboratories. Thought it seemed like a cool back entrance.

Got it. There is no lobby on that floor so it's really the only entrance to the building. smile.gif
post #636 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Roger - do you happen to know the reasoning / rationale for this one single speaker that appears to be at the midpoint of the room? It's not anywhere in the Atmos speaker standard as described in their current guidelines. Given that this is also a working lab, perhaps that's the reason why it's there, I just don't know.

It might be a sub for bass management of the in room speakers.
post #637 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

While this article from yesteryear has some interesting info about the room, size is not part of it. Based on the number of seats I'd guesstimate it is roughly 23' wide, 30' deep, 20' high. Give or take.

Great article thanks!
post #638 of 922
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Roger - do you happen to know the reasoning / rationale for this one single speaker that appears to be at the midpoint of the room? It's not anywhere in the Atmos speaker standard as described in their current guidelines. Given that this is also a working lab, perhaps that's the reason why it's there, I just don't know.
That speaker has been there since the days of "We Were Soldiers" which FilmMixer remixed a decade ago especially for a test of matrixed height encoding. It's been so long Marc forgot...tongue.gif
post #639 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

That speaker has been there since the days of "We Were Soldiers" which Marc Fishman remixed a decade ago especially for a test of matrixed height encoding.

I forgot about that... smile.gif

Dolby Whole Sonic Overhead.....


And I didn't do this mix personally... I had the flu during those 3 days. But was involved in the development meetings.
post #640 of 922
May finally get to hear a Dolby Atmos cinema in my part of the world soon:

http://readingcinemas.com.au/locations/theatre/waurn-ponds
post #641 of 922
post #642 of 922
After hearing the space station obliterated by space debris in ATMOS, this is the new paradigm. Time to reverse engineer ATMOS into my current and future designs.
post #643 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

After hearing the space station obliterated by space debris in ATMOS, this is the new paradigm. Time to reverse engineer ATMOS into my current and future designs.

I figured that would be your next venture! I agree Atmos is fantastic.
post #644 of 922
It appears that these could the speakers used as surrounds all around the Dolby Labs theater by the looks and the quality of drivers used. The woofer used is the 2262H and the CD is the 2432H. These would make great LCRs IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-AM7212-00-High-Power-2-Way-Loudspeaker-System-New-/111140822507?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item19e0825deb
post #645 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Now on the Dolby 3D, it is time to phase out this inorganic approach to 3D, this is to 3D watching what a root canal is to Dental procedures.And Wofgang Meier, you need to start running a parallel 3d system at home. I am intimately familiar with the Dolby System from my Skoll installation, amd now from this vsual torture session at Dolby Itself. Circular Polarization using the sony consumer circ pol spectacles (even with minor 12% ghosting-which can be reduced with ghotbusting) is ten-twenty times better than the dolby 3d system.

Peter,

Somewhere I missed your turning against Dolby 3D. I just returned from Disney World and watched Star Tours in the Infitec 3D system and it was far better than any polarized system films at other venues on the property. Stacked Christie PJs give an absolutely ghost free image and the brightness and color was spot on. Of course it's a small screen and a short film and the glasses were made by 3M but it's essentially Dolby 3D.

What made you decide that circular polarization was the better system?

johnty
post #646 of 922
To me 10% ghosting is something organic you can watch for months on end and not get a headfache, the looking into a mirror with one color tint on one side and another tint on the other side is acceptable for 1;45 hours after that fatigue.
post #647 of 922
Thread Starter 
Dolby's glasses are intended for looking at the screen. Should be removed when one visits the lav. cool.gif
post #648 of 922
hehe.

Let me reinstate again that DOLBY ATMOS is the finest thing to hit our industry in a very long time and I wish Dolby tremendous success with it in the cinemas and when it converts it for the home. Who knows? maybe is a matter of inventing a couple of specially shaped ceiling speakers that does the magic at home. As long as it conveys 80% of when I heard Gravity at the labs, it is positively jaw dropping.
post #649 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

hehe.

Let me reinstate again that DOLBY ATMOS is the finest thing to hit our industry in a very long time and I wish Dolby tremendous success with it in the cinemas and when it converts it for the home. Who knows? maybe is a matter of inventing a couple of specially shaped ceiling speakers that does the magic at home. As long as it conveys 80% of when I heard Gravity at the labs, it is positively jaw dropping.
I don't think we need specially shaped speakers. One of the projected placements (13.1) should work well for the home. The one with 7.1 + Wides + 4 ceiling mounted speakers should create an impressive sound bubble.


Max
post #650 of 922
I have some lovely pictures from Showeast showing a really interesting ribbon based ceiling solution that doesn't look like crap.
post #651 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

I have some lovely pictures from Showeast showing a really interesting ribbon based ceiling solution that doesn't look like crap.

Cool! Mind posting some of the pics?
post #652 of 922
Who came up with the name dolby atmos?
post #653 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

hehe.

Let me reinstate again that DOLBY ATMOS is the finest thing to hit our industry in a very long time and I wish Dolby tremendous success with it in the cinemas and when it converts it for the home. Who knows? maybe is a matter of inventing a couple of specially shaped ceiling speakers that does the magic at home. As long as it conveys 80% of when I heard Gravity at the labs, it is positively jaw dropping.

2 Questions for you.

1. Does D-Box Work with Atmos? I know there are some theaters with both, but if anyone knows if it may work in the home, it would be you (outside of D-Box themselves)

2. Did you find a center channel solution for Atmos that meets your needs?
post #654 of 922
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

1. Does D-Box Work with Atmos? I know there are some theaters with both, but if anyone knows if it may work in the home, it would be you (outside of D-Box themselves)
There is no Atmos at home as yet, but D-Box will work with it wherever it is.
post #655 of 922
PICTURES COMING RIGHT UP.

Roger do you think that there is a possibility for large screening rooms designed so they can have Atmos for primary design but also play auro. are there restrictions? If the array follows auro design by the book but has maybe a couple of extra chANNELS TO PLAY AURO TRACKS?
post #656 of 922


LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!.

AT THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN AUDIO FEST
post #657 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

PICTURES COMING RIGHT UP.

Roger do you think that there is a possibility for large screening rooms designed so they can have Atmos for primary design but also play auro. are there restrictions? If the array follows auro design by the book but has maybe a couple of extra chANNELS TO PLAY AURO TRACKS?

Not Roger but.

Auro is still using arrays for surrounds so you need a matching number of surround speakers for the height channels.

There are now a couple of mix rooms set up for both. But you also need to consider the three extra channels for the behind the screen LCR.

From an instll point of view, ATMOS was much easier to implement for the company I am now working for. An Auro retrofit would be incredibly costly.
post #658 of 922
Thank you so much.

But I envision very very soon the bel air circuit going to the masses, no the masses but certainly to those plopping a mil in their DCI compliant system.

Apparently with watermarking it is very easy to catch the perpetrator if say owner of a DCI system that was stupid enough not to have a finger print id on his system so that his nephew can setup a tripod with the new sony 4k cam and pirate.

The contract would be such that the penalty would be in the tens of millions dollars. It is a brilliant deterrant and one that will make DCI systems widespread enough where auro, atmos, 3D with ghostbusting, d-box, 4k and HFR, dci-deep color (laser). ALL OF THESE must be a part of the proper high end cinema.

So My question Film mixer (while I wrap my head around your response above and after I read the atmos book and the auro book tonight not to sound so ignorant):

What needs to be done to a room designed for ATMOS to be able to play AURO-LITE?

I will fill in the atmos book and post the pictures and then maybe you can orient me better.
post #659 of 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Cool! Mind posting some of the pics?

Here you go Reddig...







post #660 of 922
I want to build a poor man's ATMOS theater.
4 maybe 6 seats (2 per row) on risers similar to an IMAX setting.
The room would appear to be spherical from the inside with black speaker grill clothe covering every surface but the floor, seats and screen removing any visual cues besides the screen.
One can dream...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: D-cinema Equipment and Theaters
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › D-cinema Equipment and Theaters › Dolby Atmos Theatre System