or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Anathema Weather Systems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anathema Weather Systems

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Received this new surround recording a couple of days ago from Kscope and been giving it a spin. Unfortunately, it's a DVD-V and not lossless, but nevertheless, a very good discrete surround mix.

Anathema has definitely moved beyond it's metal/gothic roots to much more of a prog rock sound. Weather Systems is in a similar style as We're Here Because We're Here. It has some similarities to Porcupine Tree and SW's solo work, although it certainly has it's own distinct sound. Very enjoyable, and nice to have another new surround recording released this year.
post #2 of 7
An interesting development, K-Scope has listened to feedback and is now making an uncompressed 24bit/48khz 5.1 flac download available from the Burning Shed site.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/24/product/436/3813/

For those that purchased the CD/DVD through Burning Shed before May 1, 2012, the download is free. Check the thread below for info on how to get it starting at post #61.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...-DVDA%29/page3
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post

An interesting development, K-Scope has listened to feedback and is now making an uncompressed 24bit/48khz 5.1 flac download available from the Burning Shed site.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/24/product/436/3813/

For those that purchased the CD/DVD through Burning Shed before May 1, 2012, the download is free. Check the thread below for info on how to get it starting at post #61.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...-DVDA%29/page3

Excellent! I really like the music although the sound quality of the DVD can definitely be improved. Hopefully, this lossless version will be an improvement. Thanks for the heads up and the link to obtain the download.
post #4 of 7
Initially read the post by scolumbo dated 04-23. Put the disc (CD/DVD edition) on my personal wish list, and then ordered it this week from Amazon.ca. Received it today. Total cost nearly 40$ (with PST/GST).

While I was listening to the DVD I was looking for more comments about the album on this forum, only to find out I bought a lemon !

Following the threads I finally downloaded the 5.1 FLAC file from Burning Shed, at 8.63 pounds (~ 13.50 CAD).

Had I followed the thread more closely, I would have saved buying the physical CD/DVD. CD/DVD packaging is nice, but the price is quite high by today standards.

For general info, I use Cirlinca to burn the FLAC file to DVD audio.

So, take the advice, always read the latest posts when ready to buy an album and search for downloadable hi-rez files !
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Sorry you overpaid for the CD/DVD combo. My purpose for posting was more to note that there was a new surround mix being released, since these are few and far between these days, rather than an in-depth review of the sound quality of the release. In fact, it was posted after an initial listen, and was more about the music and the mix than the actual sound quality of the DVD.

The post obviously generated very little interest since no one responded or I would have returned and posted more information about the shortcomings of the DVD after further listening. The FLAC download (free to those who purchased the CD/DVD from Burning Shed) does improve the sonics considerably, but don't take my word for it.

I do wish there were more surround mix downloads available, but it is still rare to find these days. The download on Burning Shed was added because of the complaints about the DVD and the misleading description on the website which indicated it had DTS, and not just DD audio.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
My purpose for posting was more to note that there was a new surround mix being released, since these are few and far between these days, rather than an in-depth review of the sound quality of the release.

Totally agree. Please continue !

Quote:
The FLAC download (free to those who purchased the CD/DVD from Burning Shed) does improve the sonics considerably, but don't take my word for it.

Totally agree ! SQ is much better and the download is worth the price (which is quite reasonable I think)
post #7 of 7
The FLAC file (24/48 5.1) is still just as boomy as the 5.1 Dolby surround DVD. The stereo mix is also much too bass-heavy, but not quite as obnoxiously bad. Sounds like this was mastered on bookshelf speakers with the sub turned off... :-(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Anathema Weather Systems