or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › *Official* Ivy Bridge for HTPCs Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Ivy Bridge for HTPCs Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 261
I'm having the same problem as Robin with a i5-3570k / HD4000 iGPU and HD WTV files. I'm in New Zealand, and our HD broadcasts result in H.264 inside Recorded TV WTV files. When I play them back on my newly built Win7 x64 WMC they tear and pixelate badly. SD is OK. I have driver version 8.15.10.2761 installed.

I'll be watching this thread closely to see if there is a resolution. Can't really put this new HTPC into production until Recorded TV plays back OK.

Thought: If you install ffdshow, is there away to use a different decoder than the MS-DTV one inside WMC?

Robin - when u say "MS-DTV_decoder + VMR seems OK" what does 'VMR' stand for?
post #152 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by clowg View Post

I'm having the same problem as Robin with a i5-3570k / HD4000 iGPU and HD WTV files. I'm in New Zealand, and our HD broadcasts result in H.264 inside Recorded TV WTV files. When I play them back on my newly built Win7 x64 WMC they tear and pixelate badly. SD is OK. I have driver version 8.15.10.2761 installed.
I'll be watching this thread closely to see if there is a resolution. Can't really put this new HTPC into production until Recorded TV plays back OK.
Thought: If you install ffdshow, is there away to use a different decoder than the MS-DTV one inside WMC?
Robin - when u say "MS-DTV_decoder + VMR seems OK" what does 'VMR' stand for?

VMR is the 'old' Renderer, which normally no one uses anymore. EVR is the newer one which is used by WMC. I don't think you can easily hack WMC to use other decoders/renderers, at least not for live-tv. There were threads at hack7mc that showed how you can try the pdvd decoder (32-bit only). That one also seems to be the only one that does what wmc expects from a live-tv decoder (probably some DRM stuff and other things (e.g. spanning events)).

BTW, I just got an email from someone claiming that it works for him on a Intel Q77 board with a 3770s processor and 16 GB 1333 samsung RAM.
I can't check right now, but the difference to my system would be the memory (I have 1600 XMP 9-9-9-24 memory) and the processor (he has the 's' type). I don't think the processor is the issue, but memory maybe. When I get home tonight, I'll try using the slower 1333 memory profile and see if that helps anything.

EDIT:
Setting memory to 1333 didn't help, neither did removing 2 of the 4 dimms, nor the latest win8 driver...
I hope the guy who says it's working continues to help analyzing why he doesn't have the problem.

Edit2:
you can always go the software only route (switching off dxva altogether). I would rather use SB instead, if that's the new idea of 'green' IT.
Edited by Robin Mitra - 8/21/12 at 1:06pm
post #153 of 261
It looks like the tri-gate transistor used in Ivy Bridge won't be used in Haswell chips.
From the article
Code:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2206077/idf-intel-says-haswell-wont-use-ivy-bridge-transistors

A comment from the article
Quote:
Ivy Bridge = E for effort

IB was a nice engineering exercise but it didn't deliver the performance gains of a node drop from 32nm to 22nm that some naively expected. There are diminishing returns as you lower the trace size so better architecture is required now.

IB's tri-gate transistor deserves an E for effort and a D for performance. That's why Intel has no choice but to change or evolve the process as it simply was not good and resulted in excessive heat and poor scaling.
posted by : Juergen, 17 September 2012

The Inquirer

I was considering buying a pre built system with it....what was I thinking...lol
post #154 of 261
double post
post #155 of 261
Intel has responded that they can reproduce the '1080i50' distortion issue and are looking into it.

http://communities.intel.com/message/167264#167264
post #156 of 261
Given the amount of messages concerning ivy bridge here and elsewhere, I am asking myself whether ivy bridge hasn't taken off yet or is it already dead(ish) ?
post #157 of 261
Silence on the internet is usually a good sign, because only people with problems come and complain, people that are happy are sitting in front of their HTPC and watch movies. tongue.gif
post #158 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzba View Post

It looks like the tri-gate transistor used in Ivy Bridge won't be used in Haswell chips.
From the article
Code:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2206077/idf-intel-says-haswell-wont-use-ivy-bridge-transistors
A comment from the article
I was considering buying a pre built system with it....what was I thinking...lol

Wow thats interesting, I wonder how the design got this far before they noticed. You know this means intel is breaking its tick tock schedule Haswell will be a design change and a process change.
Edited by jeffkro - 10/8/12 at 6:54am
post #159 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Wow thats interesting, I wonder how the design got this far before they noticed. You know this means intel is breaking its tick tock schedule Haswell will be a design change and a process change.

No, it is not interesting, it is nonsense. Don't believe everything you read. There is nothing wrong with Intel's tri-gate transistors, and they will definitely be used in Haswell.
post #160 of 261
@nevcariel:
not in this case. The 1080i50 bug with stock windows drivers/codes/apps bug still persists and makes quite some content unwatchable with e.g. WMC.

Unfortunately there's no real replacement for WMC just yet.

Of course if you decide to to make your filters usable for WMC with the appropriate support for trick play and audio spanning events...smile.gifsmile.gif
post #161 of 261
Got myself a IB i5 3750k for a week, been figting and googling for a while and i can´t get bitstream passthrou dts-ma and truehd. Tried at least 3 diferent intel drivers with no sucess can´t put DTS-MA and true-HD on supported formats on the audio cp. With the same specs ( IB -- onkyo 508-- samsung plasma ) if i add the ATI 6850 everything works ok . Any ideas ????
post #162 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyarcanjo View Post

Got myself a IB i5 3750k for a week, been figting and googling for a while and i can´t get bitstream passthrou dts-ma and truehd. Tried at least 3 diferent intel drivers with no sucess can´t put DTS-MA and true-HD on supported formats on the audio cp. With the same specs ( IB -- onkyo 508-- samsung plasma ) if i add the ATI 6850 everything works ok . Any ideas ????

What motherboard are you using? Some of them have HD audio settings specific to the native HDMI output in the BIOS...
post #163 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

What motherboard are you using? Some of them have HD audio settings specific to the native HDMI output in the BIOS...

Asrock z77 pro4

Just checked Bios and HD Audio on HDMI was enable
post #164 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyarcanjo View Post

Got myself a IB i5 3750k for a week, been figting and googling for a while and i can´t get bitstream passthrou dts-ma and truehd. Tried at least 3 diferent intel drivers with no sucess can´t put DTS-MA and true-HD on supported formats on the audio cp. With the same specs ( IB -- onkyo 508-- samsung plasma ) if i add the ATI 6850 everything works ok . Any ideas ????

Do you have the MEI driver installed? It handles PAP on Intel systems.
post #165 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Do you have the MEI driver installed? It handles PAP on Intel systems.

Yeah i do ( Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.3.1427 )

Was the one on the Asrock motherboard download center
Edited by Daddyarcanjo - 10/8/12 at 4:36pm
post #166 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyarcanjo View Post

Yeah i do ( Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.3.1427 )
Was the one on the Asrock motherboard download center

Are you using the GPU drivers from Intel's site?
post #167 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Are you using the GPU drivers from Intel's site?

yep
post #168 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyarcanjo View Post

yep

Might be worth trying the GPU drivers on ASROCK's site. If that doesn't help I would engage their support, it should just work.
post #169 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Might be worth trying the GPU drivers on ASROCK's site. If that doesn't help I would engage their support, it should just work.

Alrights gonna take a shot on that, clean all drivers files and start over only with Asrock drivers Download Page.

I´ll feedback l8r when i arrive from work

Thx for the help
post #170 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Wow thats interesting, I wonder how the design got this far before they noticed. You know this means intel is breaking its tick tock schedule Haswell will be a design change and a process change.

You and the guy you quoted mis-interpreted and mis-represented what Intel said.

They didn't say their process sucked, and they went back to the old one. They said it won't be the same as IvyBridge, because its constantly evolving - not because Ivy was broken. Its being improved upon what Ivy was, but it still will be tri-gate 22nm transistors, just even better then before.

From the efficiency numbers alone you can see that their 22nm process works just beautifully. Maybe not as perfect as it was hoped, but still a good step forwards.
Intel wants to push Haswell into low-powered markets, it makes sense for them to try to improve the power usage as much as they can, and going directly at the silicon is a clear choice there.

Same process node -- different transistors (evolved, improved)
Edited by Nevcairiel - 10/9/12 at 6:24am
post #171 of 261
Well it seems downloading MEI and intel drivers from asrock support page was the trick biggrin.gif All working as it should !!!! Thx for the help babgvant cool.gif

I can inform that IB with HD4000 can play every single high-bitrate movie smoothly with no problem at all and it can bit-stream any digital HD audio ( dts-ma hd and dolby true hd )

wink.gif
Edited by Daddyarcanjo - 10/10/12 at 2:41pm
post #172 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyarcanjo View Post

Well it seems downloading MEI and intel drivers from asrock support page was the trick biggrin.gif All working as it should !!!! Thx for the help babgvant cool.gif
I can inform that IB with HD4000 can play every single high-bitrate movie smoothly with no problem at all and it can bit-stream any digital HD audio ( dts-ma hd and dolby true hd )
wink.gif

You might want to try the IB-1080i-42s bad smaple from here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zwnr3fp2zq00aj9/GJ6ZzRW0zZ

Note that these bugs occur when using stock Media center as a player. All other chips incl. earlier Intel can playback ok, just not IB
post #173 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Mitra View Post

You might want to try the IB-1080i-42s bad smaple from here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zwnr3fp2zq00aj9/GJ6ZzRW0zZ
Note that these bugs occur when using stock Media center as a player. All other chips incl. earlier Intel can playback ok, just not IB

Are these PAL samples or something different?
post #174 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Are these PAL samples or something different?

Yes, all PAL:

the IB-42s bad sample is the original one I posted upon your request quite a few weeks ago.
In the mean time I have found other TV 1080i50 samples with different degrees of 'issues' ranging from 'ok' over '1-3s' to the original 42s.
The majority of premium channels I have suffer from the 42s bug.
All these samples play nice on G45,Clarkdale, SB. The SB uses the same driver version as IB (of course different HW).

the 'Clarkdale' folder contains a historical sample that the clarkdales and earlier (and some early ATIs) couldn't manage, but are OK with more recent chips.


BTW,
on a side note, how did you get a 23p display in your review? I only ever get 24.00x, with both 23p and 24p setting of the refresh rate. Did you use a custom resolution? Also all other 1000/1001 refresh rates are broken in the same way (29p, 59p). That pll/feature seems to be disabled in released Biosses.
post #175 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Mitra View Post

Yup, all pal:

Yeah, it's unfortunate that PAL suffers. I have a review coming out next week with some screenshots of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Mitra View Post

on a side note, how did you get a 23p display in your review? I only ever get 24.00x, with both 23p and 24p setting of the refresh rate. Did you use a custom resolution? Also all other 1000/1001 refresh rates are broken in the same way (29p, 59p). That pll/feature seems to be disabled in released Biosses.

If this doesn't work it's probably an issue with your motherboard. Refresh rate accuracy is a function of the PCH and its interaction with the VBIOS (part of the BIOS on IPG systems). Are you running an Intel branded board?
post #176 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Yeah, it's unfortunate that PAL suffers. I have a review coming out next week with some screenshots of this.
If this doesn't work it's probably an issue with your motherboard. Refresh rate accuracy is a function of the PCH and its interaction with the VBIOS (part of the BIOS on IPG systems). Are you running an Intel branded board?

Nice to hear of the review.

re: 1000/1001 refresh rates: I have tried this both on an Intel DH77EB/i3-3225 and an Asus P8z77-v/i7-3770 board. Both with the most recent biosses and both with video Bios 2132, and latest MEI drivers....
At least the Intel Board should do it, I thought. Others (except you ) seem to have the same problem with different Intel/non-Intel boards..
post #177 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Mitra View Post

re: 1000/1001 refresh rates: I have tried this both on an Intel DH77EB/i3-3225 and an Asus P8z77-v/i7-3770 board. Both with the most recent biosses and both with video Bios 2132, and latest MEI drivers....
At least the Intel Board should do it, I thought. Others (except you ) seem to have the same problem with different Intel/non-Intel boards..

I have a EB engineering sample in the closet. Last I checked (a few BIOS ago) it had this problem. A new one dropped a few days ago, I'll see if it still does.
post #178 of 261
the new 093 bios for the dh77eb from a few days ago doesn't mention anything about this in the release notes. What it does mention didn't sound worth the risk right now, but I might give it a go if I don't hear hear any 'this bios bricked my board...' for some time.
post #179 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Mitra View Post

the new 093 bios for the dh77eb from a few days ago doesn't mention anything about this in the release notes. What it does mention didn't sound worth the risk right now, but I might give it a go if I don't hear hear any 'this bios bricked my board...' for some time.

Didn't brick it smile.gif, but also didn't fix it. Will try a recovery update when I get a chance.
post #180 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Didn't brick it smile.gif, but also didn't fix it. Will try a recovery update when I get a chance.


You mean the old ME not getting updated problem?
It did work the last few times I did F7 updates, but well...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › *Official* Ivy Bridge for HTPCs Thread