or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Carp's basement hide-out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carp's basement hide-out - Page 5

post #121 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Thanks for the advice on PJ and screen size. I assume the pics from page 1 reflect the 16.5 feet distance, but it looks like even further than that (maybe it's because your room is pretty wide as well). I was considering a 16:9/106" but maybe I'll reconsider that and go bigger. Deciding on a PJ and screen is a heluva lot more complex than shopping for a plasma.
I'm really digging the Dream Theater bluray "Live at Budokan" but haven't had time to watch the Ryche "Mindcrime at the Moore" blu yet, and it sounds like I need to grab the Big 4 one as well. Those bands don't get enough love here on AVS smile.gif. I bumped into Scott Ian at the airport recently and was surprised to hear them paging "Scott Ian Rosenfeld." I was thinking how old he looked but remembered that those guys have been around for a long time.

Yes, the pics are 16.5 feet and that's where the couch was for the blind shootout too.

Oh yeah, the Budokan concert is great. The guitar solo on Hollow Years is an all time favorite of mine, it gives me the chills. Singers voice is a little flat most of the concert, but he sounds great in the "Score" disk, I wish I could combine the overall sound quality of Budokan with the on key singing of Score.

I have one for you if you don't mind a little female fronted symphonic metal. The band Within Temptation has a Blu-ray called Black Symphony. It is the best sounding concert disk I own, and I have a lot. From about the half way point on the songs just keep getting better it's a goose-bump a thon. I've heard the same songs recorded in the studio and they just don't do it as much for me. Live with the orchestra playing behind them, wow. Here is a mellow duet from the concert, they obviously have much heavier songs but this was the youtube video that prompted me to buy the blu-ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR_mBh5mqok&list=PLE1CF064FEBFACB5E&index=2&feature=plpp_video

The disk looks and sounds much better of course even though you can select 1080p on the youtube video.

Yeah, Scott Ian is probably 50 now - wow.
post #122 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Carp, I thought your 5.1 was one of the better 5.1 systems I have heard. It should sound very good as a 7.1 system. I've been at 7.1, 6.1, and now I'm at 5.1 and notice a big difference. I really couldn't tell a difference between 7.1 or 6.1. I've got everything I need for 7.1. I just need to find time to install the new speakers and hook everything up. I used up my "connection time" when I came down to KC. wink.gif
Regarding screen size - I sit 10-11' from a 126" 16:9 AT screen with my 720p projector. Since I have a pull down, I originally used a cheap 150" pull down to get a feel for how big I wanted to go. If I would have gone the "recommended" size for my distance and 720p I would have ended up a lot smaller. I really like the bigger screen size and it doesn't bother me at all for movies. I sat in my easy chair and watched a lot of the Olympics from one side and about 5 ft from the screen.

Thanks man. I am REALLY digging 7.1, I should have done this a long time ago. Just watched The Grey over the weekend and I was in the snowstorm/wind/plane crash etc. It was amazing, even if it did anger the wolf community for being so fake, haha. My room seems to be perfect for it with leaving what were the side surrounds and now using them as rear surrounds and putting the new side surround speakers to the sides of my LP.

Wow, 10-11 feet from 126!! I'm 14 feet from 124 in 16:9 and 158 in 2:35:1 and I thought that was close... I know how this works though, at first I thought I might be too close and now the screen doesn't seem overwhelming at all. I don't know if I could ever do 5 feet though, haha.
post #123 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I have one for you if you don't mind a little female fronted symphonic metal. The band Within Temptation has a Blu-ray called Black Symphony.

Great voice and sounds really clean. Man, metal has changed a lot lately and evidently I've been out of the loop. I guess I'm boring and just listen to classics like Rust In Peace, Piece of Mind, and Reign in Blood over and over. Switching gears, I really enjoy the Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson solo stuff as it's fantastic in multichannel surround.
post #124 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Great voice and sounds really clean. Man, metal has changed a lot lately and evidently I've been out of the loop. I guess I'm boring and just listen to classics like Rust In Peace, Piece of Mind, and Reign in Blood over and over. Switching gears, I really enjoy the Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson solo stuff as it's fantastic in multichannel surround.

Ha, yeah I still listen to Rust in Peace (the only Megadeth album I LOVE, I like plenty of them) and Reign in Blood, I'll never tire of 80's thrash. Piece of Mind, hell yeah love Revelations!!

I assume you are familiar with Opeth? If not, oh boy, you have a ton of unbelievable new to your ears music waiting for you. I first heard them 10 years ago and at first I didn't think much. I almost force fed myself the album Still Life since I had heard so many great things about them. I'm glad I did, because now I think they are the best band in the last 20 years.

Check out the album Blackwater Park first - give it a chance. It's the type of music that takes awhile to click but once it does you never get sick of it because it's so varied and non-cookie cutter.

BTW, Steven Wilson does a lot of backing vocals on Blackwater Park and also some on the next 2 albums Deliverance and Damnation.



IMO they have 5 albums (their 2nd through 6th albums) that are damn near perfection:

Morningrise
My Arms Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverance

2 more albums that are a tier below but still great

Orchid (1st album)
Ghost Reveries (8th album)

Watershed is solid (9th album)

Oh, and if you like Steven Wilson you should love the album Damnation (7th album), it's all clean vocals (the music isn't metal but it's awesome) and he does a lot of backing vocals on this one too.




OK, I got a little carried away....redface.gif but I absolutely love this band. So much so that even though I hated their album they just released last year it doesn't bother me since they have so many great albums and I'm sure they will release something great again someday.
post #125 of 244
You might want to add another Submersive. biggrin.gif I believe Archaea met Big Red Machine (PAD at AVS) at the SE Wisconsin speaker GTG earlier this year. I've bought several items from him in the past.
post #126 of 244
Thread Starter 
Ahh crap, what are you trying to do to me DD??? biggrin.gif I just told myself I was done for awhile after the last 2 eD speakers...

That is a good deal even if it is the non HP version.
post #127 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I assume you are familiar with Opeth?

Sadly, no redface.gif. I know Steven Wilson has a lot of connections with the band and I've been meaning to check them out. So Blackwater Park should be my first?

I used to be a big fan of the heavier stuff, but with the exception of Tool and Mars Volta I haven't listened to much newer material. I was a pretty big Metallica fan early on, but the day I heard "Enter Sandman" all that changed. I still occasionally spin some of my old punk (hardcore) discs from Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, etc, but my audio upgrades over the years have really revealed their poor recording quality.
post #128 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Sadly, no redface.gif. I know Steven Wilson has a lot of connections with the band and I've been meaning to check them out. So Blackwater Park should be my first?
I used to be a big fan of the heavier stuff, but with the exception of Tool and Mars Volta I haven't listened to much newer material. I was a pretty big Metallica fan early on, but the day I heard "Enter Sandman" all that changed. I still occasionally spin some of my old punk (hardcore) discs from Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, etc, but my audio upgrades over the years have really revealed their poor recording quality.

Wow, cool I'm really surprised you haven't run onto them. It was so cool getting into Opeth, so much great music. Ok, dip your toe in slowly... let's see... I assume you use grooveshark or spotify so you can check out songs/albums for free?

Try the song A Fair Judgement from the Deliverance album first. No growls, I don't want you to get scared off right away.

If you want to jump in to a whole album then yeah, check out Blackwater Park. Don't judge on the first listen, I had to fight off that urge because I wasn't impressed right off the bat. Judging from you musical tastes there is a good chance you will love this band too. I completely agree with your Enter Sandman opinion, ugh.
post #129 of 244
Thread Starter 
Just got my side surround speakers mounted to the wall. It was a bigger pain than I thought getting the speaker wire behind the wall for my right side surround speaker. I already had a speaker wire run under the carpet for back when I had my passive Captivators and was experimenting with placement. I figured all I would have to do would be take off the bottom trim and drill a hole in the dry wall, drill another hole behind were the speaker will be and run some fish tape and I'm good.

Nope.

Even using fish tape it was impossible to not get tangled up in the insulation and I accidentally poked holes in the plastic vapor barrier. Nice. So, I had to cut open a big section of the drywall, get some of that really sticky vapor seal tape and repair my damage. I used a butt-load of drywall compound last night, so I hope it's dry enough to sand tonight.

I hope the rear surround speaker on that same wall won't cause the same issue but I bet it will, I'm expecting to have to cut open the drywall to get the wire fished through.

I'll post some pictures later of how things look with full 7.1 surround. I'm not too upset about the extra labor because I'm loving 7.1, I had the speakers up on stacked end tables on one side and a ladder on another for a couple of weeks to make sure I really wanted 7.1 and it makes a big difference in my room.
Edited by carp - 8/30/12 at 10:16am
post #130 of 244
I really love your theater. The scope screen and masking are awesome and everything is just so clean! Very nice setup carp. As much as I love to browse through the dedicated theater build forum, basement rec-room HT is where my interests really lie because that is the reality I live in. Just like you, that's where I "escape from the girls". cool.gif

How are you mounting your side and rear surrounds?

I have a humble 7.1 rec-room setup with a similar situation in that I had to run speaker wire in exterior insulated walls. There is no way to avoid poking holes in the vapor barrier where you are drilling the hole and running the through of course.The trick is to get the tape between the drywall and the vapor barrier. As you experienced, it's hard to get the fish tape to run "vertical" enough if you just poke a hole and it pokes into the insulation and makes things really difficult. Would you consider cutting a square low-voltage bracket into the drywall at speaker height? It creates nice space to run the fish tape straight down to the bottom plate and you can put a faceplate on it then run a clean short run of speaker wire from faceplate to speaker. It looks nice and clean, no mud required.
post #131 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto10 View Post

I really love your theater. The scope screen and masking are awesome and everything is just so clean! Very nice setup carp. As much as I love to browse through the dedicated theater build forum, basement rec-room HT is where my interests really lie because that is the reality I live in. Just like you, that's where I "escape from the girls". cool.gif
How are you mounting your side and rear surrounds?
I have a humble 7.1 rec-room setup with a similar situation in that I had to run speaker wire in exterior insulated walls. There is no way to avoid poking holes in the vapor barrier where you are drilling the hole and running the through of course.The trick is to get the tape between the drywall and the vapor barrier. As you experienced, it's hard to get the fish tape to run "vertical" enough if you just poke a hole and it pokes into the insulation and makes things really difficult. Would you consider cutting a square low-voltage bracket into the drywall at speaker height? It creates nice space to run the fish tape straight down to the bottom plate and you can put a faceplate on it then run a clean short run of speaker wire from faceplate to speaker. It looks nice and clean, no mud required.

Thanks goto10 for the compliments! Yeah, it would be nice to have a dedicated room, but I think I actually prefer having a multi-purpose room... good thing because I could never afford it anyway.

I mounted my 4 surrounds speakers with brackets from Axiom. http://www.axiomaudio.com/fullmetalbracket.html I really like them because the speaker stays close to the wall, you can angle side to side and up and down, and they are very sturdy. They say they are rated for 40 pounds, but I bet they could hold more than that. My eD speakers weigh 22 pounds so the brackets are plenty. I also got a discount since I have bought several pairs of Axiom speakers over the years.

I ended up not tearing the plastic when I fished through the speaker wire on the right rear surround speaker thank god, so I won't have to cut out any more drywall. On the other wall the laundry room is on the other side so it was piece of cake getting the wire to those speakers since that is the same side of the room that my closet is on where all my components are.
post #132 of 244
Thread Starter 
Finally, I'm 7.1!! smile.gif



010-6.jpg


I had to get creative to try out the speakers at the height I thought I would like, they were like this for 2 weeks which my wife really loved...


011-8.jpg



The above pic shows the speaker wire coming through the wall for the left surround back speaker. I drilled a hole there because that is where my Magnepan surround speakers used to go.



012-4.jpg



Avove are the right surround and rear surround speakers from the LP. This was a pain to get the speaker wires through the wall!! I think I already mentioned this, but I had the speaker wires already run under the carpet so all I had to do was take off the baseboard and drill a hole and fish through the speaker wire using fish tape. Unfortunately on the side surround speaker I accidentally tore through the plastic vapor seal so I had to cut out a big section of the dry wall and repair my damage. Patching up that hole wasn't easy, I haven't worked much with drywall before so I was pretty happy with how the repair turned out I really can't tell that I had to cut a large section out of the wall.

Fortunately I didn't tear through the plastic vapor seal when fishing the wire to the higher rear surround speaker.



015-2.jpg



Above are the left side and back surround speakers. It was easy to get the speaker wire to these speakers, on the other side of the wall is the laundry room and my equipment rack is in the closet on that side of the room. I painted over a lot of areas on these walls where the kids had gotten them dirty. The paint is flat which is impossible to clean and gets dirty if you breathe on it. I prefer the look of flat though, so that's the trade-off.



016-1.jpg


In the pic above you can see that the surround speakers are obviously different heights. I did this because I thought the sides sounded better for music a little lower. The rear surrounds are obviously the same speakers I used for surrounds when I had just 5.1. I put them up that high for 2 reasons. First of all, I don't want to hit my head on a speaker as I walk into the room, and also the back of my couch is kind of high and this way the speakers have a direct line to my ears and are not blocked at all by the couch.



019-2.jpg


Above is why I have all my surround speakers upside down. I am able to angle the speakers away from the wall much better this way than if I had screwed the brackets higher up on the speaker with them right side up. I actually prefer the look of them upside down anyway.



023-1.jpg


I love these Axiom speaker brackets. They are expensive, but I did get a 15% discount since I have bought a few Axiom speakers over the years. I already had a set on the rear surrounds so I ordered 2 more for the side surrounds. It's good to know that Axiom's customer service is still outstanding. I like these brackets because they are extremely sturdy. The say they are rated for up to 40 pounds, but I bet they could hold a speaker heavier than that. Mine are 22 pounds, but as you can see the rears especially are angled way out which would put a ton of pressure on the bracket but these hold no problem.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/full-metal-bracket.html


Also, the wall plates look much better than just having holes in my walls. Dirt cheap from monoprice.


http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042503&p_id=3324&seq=1&format=2

Also, I was only able to use a stud for the left side surround speaker, the other speaker brackets are in the drywall only. I used these wall anchors which work great, I've had the left surround speaker held up by one of these for months so I know I'm good.

http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php



028-1.jpg

I have a few odds and ends to tie up in here. Above shows a couple of them. First of all I need to get black wall plates/sockets and also I need to bury the subwoofer cable under the carpet.

031-1.jpg


Also, I need to raise my projector a few inches. My LP used to be almost 3 feet back from where is is now, and I didn't have to worry about hitting my head on the projector when it was like that. However, since I moved up to just under 14 feet from the screen the projector is now out in the middle of the walkway to the couch. The bottom of it is 5'10", and I'm 6'1" when standing up tall so that's no good. I can only raise the projector 4 inches though because of the ceiling fan. I am not going to take out the fan, my wife and I use it when we do a workout so that isn't an option. Raising up the projector to 6'2" will be plenty, most people, myself included, walk a little hunched over so unless someone 6'4" or taller comes over I'm good. Jonathan, if you are reading this it will be awfully close for you!! smile.gifwink.gif
post #133 of 244
Looking good, Carp. I laughed when I read your post because I mounted my first PJ last night and had the same issues dealing with a ceiling fan. I also mounted my L/R surrounds upside down but it was to get the tweeters closer to ear level because they're higher than I would like. Each one is above a walkway and exactly 6'5" from the ground, so tall guests are not allowed biggrin.gif.

I really like those Axiom mounts-maybe better than the Pinpoint AM40s I'm using. I've been meaning to pick up that Opeth disc but have been busy with the PJ project (and football season). Anyway, looking good.
post #134 of 244
Looks great Carp. Hopefully one of these meets I'll get to check it out in person. Now that my room is almost squared away, I should open up a thread of my own.
post #135 of 244
Thread Starter 
Thanks Holt. Make sure to post pics and impressions of your new projector, that's awesome. Do you have a thread on the room config forum? I'd love to see your setup.

You should download Spotify. You can get get all the music you want. If you type in an artist, all their albums come up and it's all nice and neat. They do have commercials of course, but not that often.
post #136 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Looks great Carp. Hopefully one of these meets I'll get to check it out in person. Now that my room is almost squared away, I should open up a thread of my own.

Thanks Andrew - wish I was coming out with Jonathan to your place. I'm looking forward to reading about it though, that's for sure. Yep, start a thread here!! I've seen a few pics of your place but more is always better - plus I'm sure people will be curious to see what your room is like prior to the GTG, you could link it in your GTG thread.
post #137 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Thanks Andrew - wish I was coming out with Jonathan to your place. I'm looking forward to reading about it though, that's for sure. Yep, start a thread here!! I've seen a few pics of your place but more is always better - plus I'm sure people will be curious to see what your room is like prior to the GTG, you could link it in your GTG thread.

Carp - If there is any way you can make it out to my place, you are MORE than welcome, we'd love to have you. It should be a blast and we seem to have a decent lineup brewing.

OK - You've motivated me to get some more pics up, here you go:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428456/gorilla83s-humble-basement-hangout
post #138 of 244
Thread Starter 
I'd love to, but I've developed an intense, irrational fear of flying. I used to fly all over the country for track meets when I was in college and it didn't bother me at all. I don't know what happened...mad.gifredface.gif
post #139 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Thanks Holt. Make sure to post pics and impressions of your new projector, that's awesome. Do you have a thread on the room config forum? I'd love to see your setup.
You should download Spotify. You can get get all the music you want. If you type in an artist, all their albums come up and it's all nice and neat. They do have commercials of course, but not that often.

I take delivery of the Carada screen on Tuesday so I'll snap some pics after I hang it (and after I remove existing plasma, patch holes, figure out PJ cabling, etc, etc...). I was curious to see how football will look with the bigger screen so I actually watched some games with the PJ shooting over the top of my current plasma onto a dark, taped off wall. It was pretty ghetto, but I can see the potential once it's all dialed in smile.gif.

I'll check out Spotify-is it similar to Mog?
post #140 of 244
Carp,

I think you did a fantastic job on the installing the additional surrounds. The install looks so clean! Definitely one of my favorite rooms to look at! Awesome work!
post #141 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I take delivery of the Carada screen on Tuesday so I'll snap some pics after I hang it (and after I remove existing plasma, patch holes, figure out PJ cabling, etc, etc...). I was curious to see how football will look with the bigger screen so I actually watched some games with the PJ shooting over the top of my current plasma onto a dark, taped off wall. It was pretty ghetto, but I can see the potential once it's all dialed in smile.gif.
I'll check out Spotify-is it similar to Mog?

Yep, using your wall prior to buying a screen so you know what size you want is the way to go.

Spotify has more music than any of the others that I've tried (I think I tried Mog too a long time ago and wasn't that impressed), and it's layout is very well organized. If you search for and select an artist it lists each album separately and usually in chronological order of album release. It's like an itunes player with unlimited songs. Every once in awhile there will be an album or song I can't find but it's rare. The only catch is it is a program you have to install and not just a website like Grooveshark.
post #142 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Carp,
I think you did a fantastic job on the installing the additional surrounds. The install looks so clean! Definitely one of my favorite rooms to look at! Awesome work!

Thanks Bunga, much appreciated. smile.gif Right back at you though, I love your room and I bet music in there is unbelievable. I read what you said your wife thought of 4.1 sound and how it made her dizzy and that the center channel sounded great (even though it wasn't on). smile.gif That must mean the combination of your speakers and treatments gives you great imaging/soundstage/etc. In my room PLIIx music sounds fantastic and it's what I always use now, but I bet if I had your setup I'd be going strictly stereo too.
post #143 of 244
Your 7.1 err.2 err whatever looks great carp!
post #144 of 244
Thread Starter 
Thanks Tim. smile.gif
post #145 of 244
Thread Starter 
Can't believe how good youtube can look and sound. Here is a pic from the full 720p concert in Nimes France. The sound and picture are awesome.

Here's a couple pics with lights all the way up:

020-2.jpg

017-6.jpg

Lights off:

028-2.jpg



Man, the band is spot on even on Dyers Eve. Incredible.

I may have already posted this link earlier, but just in case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMpKsRcGyTI
post #146 of 244
Pretty cool Carp, but my YouTube signal doesn't look nearly as clean as yours. How are you getting YouTube into your system? Also-any idea if I'm able to fast forward or scrub via DirecTV like you can on a PC or laptop?
post #147 of 244
Thread Starter 
I have my PC connected to my projector with a crazy long HDMI cord. I don't have direct tv, sorry I can't be more help on that.
post #148 of 244
Thread Starter 
Also don't forget to change the resolution to 720p.
post #149 of 244
OK, thanks--I'll work on another way to access YouTube like from my Apple TV or laptop.
post #150 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Ha, yeah I still listen to Rust in Peace (the only Megadeth album I LOVE, I like plenty of them) and Reign in Blood, I'll never tire of 80's thrash. Piece of Mind, hell yeah love Revelations!!
I assume you are familiar with Opeth? If not, oh boy, you have a ton of unbelievable new to your ears music waiting for you. I first heard them 10 years ago and at first I didn't think much. I almost force fed myself the album Still Life since I had heard so many great things about them. I'm glad I did, because now I think they are the best band in the last 20 years.
Check out the album Blackwater Park first - give it a chance. It's the type of music that takes awhile to click but once it does you never get sick of it because it's so varied and non-cookie cutter.
BTW, Steven Wilson does a lot of backing vocals on Blackwater Park and also some on the next 2 albums Deliverance and Damnation.
IMO they have 5 albums (their 2nd through 6th albums) that are damn near perfection:
Morningrise
My Arms Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverance
2 more albums that are a tier below but still great
Orchid (1st album)
Ghost Reveries (8th album)
Watershed is solid (9th album)
Oh, and if you like Steven Wilson you should love the album Damnation (7th album), it's all clean vocals (the music isn't metal but it's awesome) and he does a lot of backing vocals on this one too.
OK, I got a little carried away....redface.gif but I absolutely love this band. So much so that even though I hated their album they just released last year it doesn't bother me since they have so many great albums and I'm sure they will release something great again someday.

So I see you are not even including 'Heritage'... Was that even Opeth?? smile.gif Very unique listening experience, and I am desperately wanting to love it, but it's taken too many listens without enough return... I agree with almost everything you say here, although you like Morningrise more and Ghost Reveries less than I do... Also - The Lotus Eater from Watershed is amazing...
Blackwater Park is a great place to start, with The Drapery Falls and others, but I love to play Deliverance's Master's Apprentices, then follow it up with the epic A Fair Judgement to blow people's minds... Lopez's drums are sick during this period...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Carp's basement hide-out