Originally Posted by JimWilson
If you would take the time to read my comments -- not read into them -- you'd see it's obvious that's not what I'm purporting. I merely said using numbers alone is a poor way of making a judgement, and that your own ears play as big a factor as anything else. Who gives a d@mn if the numbers are glowing, yet the sound isn't to your liking? When you show off that shiny new HT system and your friends go "why does it sound like that?" what are you going to do, pull out a chart and say "the numbers tell me it's great!"? I've said this to you countless times; numbers matter, no question about it, but they aren't the only factor. That goes for anything, not just HT.The great reviews are 90% subjective and 10% objective.
My reviews are only good at this point, because I cover the 90% part. But that's only for now; the other 10% will come when I can do it as well as the rest of it.
Jim, sorry to hear about your mother. I'm sure she is in good hands.
You still have not answered the question; do you believe that a subwoofer can measure well in the critical areas of extension, output, flat frequency response, and low distortion (at progressively higher output levels), and not sound good?
So, you think Chad Kuypers got a lousy review of the Epik Conquest? I know Chad doesn't think so. I have a copy of the comments he made after Tom Nousaine issued his review. Chad said:
"Tom Nousaine recently measured and tested our flagship subwoofer, the Conquest. He has been reviewing subwoofers for many years and has earned a reputation as an incredibly knowledgeable reviewer. We were excited to see how our flagship subwoofer stacked up alongside of the best subwoofers he has ever measured."
What Chad does is more clearly present how the Conquest compares with 2 of the highest rated/highest performing subs Tom ever tested, the $15,000 Velodyne DD-1812 and the $10,000 Genelec HTS-6.
Tom summarizes his test of the Conquest by saying:
"This system has Herculean SPL capability compared with most other products available. The sole exception of course is the Eminent Technology rotary fan subwoofer that costs $13,000 and has an upper bandwith limit of 25Hz. The uniformity of the Conquest dynamic capability exceeds that of any commercial products I've ever measured."
Chad was pretty happy that his $1,600 offering could compete very successfully with subs costing 6 or 9 times the price (of the Conquest). Maybe someone here can arrange a head to head comparison of the Conquest to the finished EbenLee ELA 3 that sells for $1,600. One thing is for certain, the ELA3 will win the cabinet finish comparison.
I guess Gene DellaSala at Audioholics doesn't agree with your 90% subjective, 10% objective notion. Josh Ricci is doing a great job and the numbers play a large part in Josh's reviews.
In Josh's recent test of the $9,000 Paradigm Sub 2 the measurements take up twice as much of the review
as the listening section of the review.