or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Help Me Recommend Best $500 Sub
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Me Recommend Best $500 Sub

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
This is for my buddy. He just bought a big, new house...and this is his first run at HT. I've been guiding him on some things, but I don't follow subs in this price range (I have a JLA F112)...so I'd just be throwing darts.

What's best bang-for-buck at plus-or-minus ~$500? I'm open to ID, but he'd probably be happier going with something fairly "mainstream". FWIW...I'm leaning Velodyne at this price.

Thoughts? TIA for the help.

CD
post #2 of 22
A single Epik Legend might be your/his best bang for the buck.
That said, especially for HT, multiple subs are superior. Even inexpensive ones from the mass brands (Dayton, Polk, Sony, BIC, etc.), say a 12" for $200, deployed in 2's or 3's, spread around the room, will yield better results.
Search for "multi sub" if you need answers as to why.
Ask his wife as to why not.

cheers,

AJ
post #3 of 22
how big is the room?
post #4 of 22
Currently Outlaw Audio is running a sale on the LFM-1 Plus for $499 and free shipping. I have 2 of these and they are amazing.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/electronics.html
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Currently Outlaw Audio is running a sale on the LFM-1 Plus for $499 and free shipping. I have 2 of these and they are amazing.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/electronics.html

This is easily the best deal at 500 right now, outside of buying used.

Outlaw is pretty well established as far as ID goes. And your friend should definitely go ID.
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

currently outlaw audio is running a sale on the lfm-1 plus for $499 and free shipping. I have 2 of these and they are amazing.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/electronics.html

+1
post #7 of 22
+1 for the Plus.

Much better performer than any Velodyne you can get at that price, unless it is some amazing discount off of MSRP.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1 for the Plus.

Much better performer than any Velodyne you can get at that price, unless it is some amazing discount off of MSRP.

I already +1'd it. You are +2
post #9 of 22
How about the hsu vtf2.4 currently on sale for $519
post #10 of 22
How's the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus compare to a HSU VTF-2 mk4?
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Currently Outlaw Audio is running a sale on the LFM-1 Plus for $499 and free shipping. I have 2 of these and they are amazing.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/electronics.html

Im not sure (aside from DIY) that you could do better shipped to your door for $500. Definitely make sure its the right choice for you but the LFM-1 Plus at this price is a pretty good deal.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by haargerman View Post

How's the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus compare to a HSU VTF-2 mk4?

The outlaw has a more powerful amp, 350RMS 1300W peak vs. the HSU's 250RMS 1000W peak. Same exact size enclosures. Same spec'd freq response. The plus weighs 6 pounds more if that makes a difference. I have not heard the HSU so I cannot give any audible comparison.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebriman View Post


The outlaw has a more powerful amp, 350RMS 1300W peak vs. the HSU's 250RMS 1000W peak. Same exact size enclosures. Same spec'd freq response. The plus weighs 6 pounds more if that makes a difference. I have not heard the HSU so I cannot give any audible comparison.

They are very similar except I think the hsu has more tuning options
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I already +1'd it. You are +2

You are giving me two votes? Thanks
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by haargerman View Post

How's the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus compare to a HSU VTF-2 mk4?

They are very similar. The only thing that makes the HSU more appealing is that it has larger ports so when the Plus starts farting the HSU probably will not.
post #16 of 22
Another option is the Rythmik FV12 in case he prefers a forward firing sub with high SQ.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

They are very similar. The only thing that makes the HSU more appealing is that it has larger ports so when the Plus starts farting the HSU probably will not.

On the other side, the Plus has a more powerful amp, same as in the LFM-1 EX. So the HSU may reach it's limits much earlier.
post #18 of 22
Is there a huge difference between the LFM-1 EX and the LFM-1 Plus? The EX just digs deeper right?
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Another option is the Rythmik FV12 in case he prefers a forward firing sub with high SQ.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

+1 for this. Direct servo alone is worth the money. Less distortion is always a plus in my book

- Kh[a]os
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

How about the hsu vtf2.4 currently on sale for $519

Even at the $519 sale price, with shipping the VTF-2MK4 cost $582 vs. $499 delivered for the LFM-1 Plus...
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by volta View Post

Is there a huge difference between the LFM-1 EX and the LFM-1 Plus? The EX just digs deeper right?

It's bigger, so it has more overall SPL output, too.
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Guys, thanks for the great feedback so far; I knew I could count on AVS and my buddy is excited about the prospect of a purchase. (He's also getting back to me on the HTs size)

Some passionate cases being made, but still several contenders that need to be whittled down. I'm going to start a poll...so we can put it to an official vote...and I'll post that link here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1407636

Thanks again,
CD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Help Me Recommend Best $500 Sub