or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Looking for quality speakers, but need to be shallow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for quality speakers, but need to be shallow

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I just ordered a Yamaha A710 to replace my Samsung HTIB. I am going to recycle the speakers until I can find something better. Thing is, I rent a small apartment, which means floor standing speakers are (sadly) out of the question.

This is what I'm working with:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8y...XI1MkRLY0pZa0k
For reference, the TV is 37", the ledge is 3" and the current speakers are 4" deep.

I don't want to just buy a 5.1 bundle, though I've thought about the Energy Take Classics. Ideally, I'd like 5.25" drivers but I know that may not be possible. I am looking for matching R, L, and Center speakers, and then an (~8") active sub that blends well (HTIB sub is passive). I still think I will keep the rear speakers the same since they don't do much anyway.

If I can find good speakers that are 5-6" deep, I'm open to mounting them to the inside window sills with something like this at 90deg:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=6839


Please point me in the right direction...
post #2 of 12
What about a soundbar instead? They encompass the left, right and center channels. It's also just one piece, so you can place the entire thing on that shelf and be done with it. If you opt to go that route here are a few to check out... Couple any of those with a decent subwoofer and you should be all set. I'd advise against anything with an 8" driver if you're going to watch movies though. What is your sub budget?
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thank you for the suggestions. I ignored sound bars because I think they sacrafice too much in terms of fidelity. I watch lots of TV and movies, but also listen to a lot of records

Also, I thought an 8" sub would be ample for my small apartment. I suppose 10" would be nice though.

I would say my budget is $500 for everything, but that number is flexible.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSilent004 View Post

Thank you for the suggestions. I ignored sound bars because I think they sacrafice too much in terms of fidelity. I watch lots of TV and movies, but also listen to a lot of records

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to summarily dismiss soundbars. Some of those companies I mentioned are known for making very good speakers, so it stands to reason they wouldn't jeopardize their reputation making something crappy. Given your placement restrictions a soundbar is a good option, but that's entirely up to you of course.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSilent004 View Post

Also, I thought an 8" sub would be ample for my small apartment. I suppose 10" would be nice though.

Unless you're going to place it in your lap most 8" subwoofers will not have the output or extension to provide a satisfying viewing experience.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSilent004 View Post

I would say my budget is $500 for everything, but that number is flexible.

By "everything", do you mean all three front speakers and the sub? How "flexible" is flexible? Knowing that will be instrumental towards insuring you get the best suggestions.
post #5 of 12
Your budget is a tough one - and mounting speakers inside a
window seal is not reccomended.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to summarily dismiss soundbars. Some of those companies I mentioned are known for making very good speakers, so it stands to reason they wouldn't jeopardize their reputation making something crappy. Given your placement restrictions a soundbar is a good option, but that's entirely up to you of course.

I agree. Soundbars get a bad name because people actually expect them to create surround sound in a room.

I think the main reason to discard the soundbar option would be that you hope that the L/R speakers you buy for the front could eventually be moved to surround position if you get a new place and can upgrade. But otherwise, I would look into it in your situation.

Update: Here's the AVS soundbar forum.
post #7 of 12
Check out the JBL L810 and L820 and see if that is something that would work. I think they are 5" deep and are mountable.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSilent004 View Post

I just ordered a Yamaha A710 to replace my Samsung HTIB. I am going to recycle the speakers until I can find something better. Thing is, I rent a small apartment, which means floor standing speakers are (sadly) out of the question.

This is what I'm working with:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8y...XI1MkRLY0pZa0k
For reference, the TV is 37", the ledge is 3" and the current speakers are 4" deep.

I don't want to just buy a 5.1 bundle, though I've thought about the Energy Take Classics. Ideally, I'd like 5.25" drivers but I know that may not be possible. I am looking for matching R, L, and Center speakers, and then an (~8") active sub that blends well (HTIB sub is passive). I still think I will keep the rear speakers the same since they don't do much anyway.

If I can find good speakers that are 5-6" deep, I'm open to mounting them to the inside window sills with something like this at 90deg:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=6839


Please point me in the right direction...
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to summarily dismiss soundbars. Some of those companies I mentioned are known for making very good speakers, so it stands to reason they wouldn't jeopardize their reputation making something crappy. Given your placement restrictions a soundbar is a good option, but that's entirely up to you of course.




Unless you're going to place it in your lap most 8" subwoofers will not have the output or extension to provide a satisfying viewing experience.




By "everything", do you mean all three front speakers and the sub? How "flexible" is flexible? Knowing that will be instrumental towards insuring you get the best suggestions.

Let's say less than $800 for everything; active sub and front stage
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSilent004 View Post

Let's say less than $800 for everything; active sub and front stage

Is a soundbar an option or are you thinking sperates for the front three channels?
post #10 of 12
You may want to look at HTD Flat Panels and Middys. I have them and really like them with a powered sub, of course.
post #11 of 12
sorry to hijack the thread, but people where talking about the sound bar and I was curious if I could use a sound bar to replace the Left/Right/Center speakers in my 5.1 while keeping the 2 rear speakers?
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh4t2D0N0w View Post

sorry to hijack the thread, but people where talking about the sound bar and I was curious if I could use a sound bar to replace the Left/Right/Center speakers in my 5.1 while keeping the 2 rear speakers?

If I'm not mistaken the newer Yamahas do have speaker out terminals but I didn't check for the surrounds or for fronts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Looking for quality speakers, but need to be shallow