or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Alfonso Cuaron's new film ("Gravity") to feature 17 minute opening long take
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alfonso Cuaron's new film ("Gravity") to feature 17 minute opening long take - Page 3

post #61 of 738
Could be the best part of the film. What happens after?
Think we'll see any compressed air readouts as a device?
Talking and being afraid for an hour? This one should be all
about the script. The actors are OK? Good enough to carry a talker?

OK, I'll say it. Sandra B (who couldn't possibly be an astronaut) is floating
in space, in peril. Will we watch? Do we love her fine Texas Azz that much?

George Clooniz TV sex idol for the gals is being all concerned with miss Texaz fineazz
the way he does his thing and will we believe he has any reason being up there with her?

They look great at the premiere and stuff. Wow, we must see it.

OK, I could be wrong, but there... wink.gif
Edited by thedeskE - 9/5/13 at 5:54pm
post #62 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Could be the best part of the film. What happens after?
Think we'll see any compressed air readouts as a device?
Talking and being afraid for an hour? This one should be all
about the script. The actors are OK? Good enough to carry a talker?

OK, I'll say it. Sandra B (who couldn't possibly be an astronaut) is floating
in space, in peril. Will we watch? Do we love her fine Texas Azz that much?

George Clooniz TV sex idol for the gals is being all concerned with miss Texaz fineazz
the way he does his thing and will we believe he has any reason being up there with her?

They look great at the premiere and stuff. Wow, we must see it.

OK, I could be wrong, but there... wink.gif
I completely agree.wink.gif
post #63 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Don't know how this one will play out but you have to admit, the beginning of the trailer is off the hook.

Well there is always this story to consider.

James Cameron Calls Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity 'The Best Space Film Ever Done'
post #64 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Could be the best part of the film. What happens after?
...............all concerned with miss Texaz fineazz.............

I think I dated the '98 runner up Miss Texas Fineazz. She turned out to be a total bitch. Anyway..

This movie could go either way. I'm not familiar with the directors other work besides Children of Men. Whether you like Children of Men or not, lacking in story isn't one of its problems. Here's hoping its good.
post #65 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Well there is always this story to consider.

James Cameron Calls Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity 'The Best Space Film Ever Done'
“I think it’s the best space photography ever done, I think it’s the best space film ever done, and it’s the movie I’ve been hungry to see for an awful long time.”
That's high praise from JC.

Still, it's a movie with Sandy Bullock and George Clooney in spacesuits.....
2001 had relatively unknown actors in the roles, making Suspension of Disbelief much easier.wink.gif
post #66 of 738
I saw a new trailer for Gravity in an IMAX theater yesterday. Watching that super large picture and hearing that great sound quality I felt a chill up my spine. Damn if I didn't have a flash-back to seeing 2001 in 70mm with a six-track stereo magnetic soundtrack when it was first released. Can it sustain that kind of involvement for 90 minutes? I guess we'll see.
post #67 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Still, it's a movie with Sandy Bullock and George Clooney in spacesuits.....
2001 had relatively unknown actors in the roles, making Suspension of Disbelief much easier.wink.gif
I know, that's the big elephant in the room. You talk about "against type" roles but this is kinda of joke. Can't possibly ask for more strange casting here... you have to say it again & shake your head in disbelief...Sandy Bullock and George Clooney in spacesuits....

And the more they show this trailer on TV I'm afraid that it's the only climax in the movie and prob the best part. The rest is going to be watching grass grow,..I seriously hope I'm wrong.

I'm starting to see a trend here: Elysium, Oblivion..movies with a big A list name attached to a movie where the F/X and visuals take center stage.
post #68 of 738
I don't see anything wrong with the casting. A lot of astronauts are in their 40's and even 50's so Clooney's age isn't an issue. And he's a good enough actor to play just about anything. Ditto Sandra. Where's the beef? confused.gif
post #69 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I don't see anything wrong with the casting. A lot of astronauts are in their 40's and even 50's so Clooney's age isn't an issue. And he's a good enough actor to play just about anything. Ditto Sandra. Where's the beef? confused.gif

It wouldn't be an AVS thread if there weren't the requisite boo-birds and doubters.

http://gravitymovie.warnerbros.com/#/home

If nothing else this film will be a sight to behold.
post #70 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I don't see anything wrong with the casting. A lot of astronauts are in their 40's and even 50's so Clooney's age isn't an issue. And he's a good enough actor to play just about anything. Ditto Sandra. Where's the beef? confused.gif

I don't get it either, and you're dead on about space shuttle era astronauts. There is nothing odd or uncharacteristic about a Clooney or a Bullock in a spacesuit, and their ages are right. What would be silly is if they were in their 20s or even early 30s.
post #71 of 738
The trailer doesn't give away much, so I'm eager to see what's going to follow for these characters. I think this movie will be great. Nothing wrong with the casting either. Besides, Clooney has already been in space in Solaris, he's a great actor too. Sandra Bullock has proven she's more than the nice-cute-funny girl. Way more. 2 first-class actors in a, so far, rather intriguing story. I'll be there. smile.gif
post #72 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

. I'll be there. smile.gif
Me too.
post #73 of 738
another trailer giving way too much away.


still i will be there just to see cuaron's first film since children of men

he's earned a lot of credits on my ledger from that effort
post #74 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

another trailer giving way too much away.

confused.gif

The trailer just gives away what we already know by reading the synopsis... no? What happens "next" we have no idea yet.
post #75 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

another trailer giving way too much away.

I truly do not understand that comment.

Some films are plot driven. Some are character driven. Some are about the interactions between or among characters, and some are about themes or concepts. Some are even visual feasts with a running theme throughout.

What happens next? is often an irrelevant question. I can tell you what happens next, and there's a big hint in the title. She falls towards earth. There, I spoiled the whole film for you, might as well not see it now.

Not to be harsh, man, but really. Is watching a movie just about waiting to see how it all ends? I don't know about you, but that's certainly not the whole experience for me. Sometimes the journey is the destination. Who cares how it ends? would be my retort to you. I want to see the beginning and the middle and everything in between. Give me that film and I'll watch it.

Anyway, I'll see you at the movies. I'll be sitting next to Roger's ghost. I miss that dude.
post #76 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

another trailer giving way too much away.


still i will be there just to see cuaron's first film since children of men

he's earned a lot of credits on my ledger from that effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

confused.gif

The trailer just gives away what we already know by reading the synopsis... no? What happens "next" we have no idea yet.

Exactly. Not only that but let's combine all the trailers released so far. I've seen about 5mins worth of a 1:23 minute long movie.

Can't wait to see it all and on a HUGE screen!
post #77 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I truly do not understand that comment.

Some films are plot driven. Some are character driven. Some are about the interactions between or among characters, and some are about themes or concepts. Some are even visual feasts with a running theme throughout.

What happens next? is often an irrelevant question. I can tell you what happens next, and there's a big hint in the title. She falls towards earth. There, I spoiled the whole film for you, might as well not see it now.

Not to be harsh, man, but really. Is watching a movie just about waiting to see how it all ends? I don't know about you, but that's certainly not the whole experience for me. Sometimes the journey is the destination. Who cares how it ends? would be my retort to you. I want to see the beginning and the middle and everything in between. Give me that film and I'll watch it.

Anyway, I'll see you at the movies. I'll be sitting next to Roger's ghost. I miss that dude.
+ 1 gazillion wink.gif ...Same here. Yes I know, diff strokes for diff folks but I just don't get it why some will have a heart attack if some spoiler is given away. Who the hell cares? or you trying to solve some puzzle or something...anyways I digress.

The spoiler, "twist", surprise, etc like the one for instance in the 6th sense does not ruin anything for me. When I'm watching a movie, I'm enjoying the whole ride, the whole enchilada if you will..the direction, cinematography, set designs, F/X, acting, everything. I'm soaking it all up. If you're so focus on the twist or surprise of a movie then maybe you're just limiting or narrowing your entertainment experience.

And to my defense, don't you agree many times that a 2nd or subsequent viewing the movie is even BETTER? well why is that? is because now that the cat is out of the bag you can relax and take it all in. Now don't tell me that's never happened to you because you're lying.

Some twist or spoiler to me is just part of the whole show or experience. IDK, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here so what ever makes you happy or floats your boat is fine with me. I'm just offering the "other" side of the coin.
post #78 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post



Anyway, I'll see you at the movies. I'll be sitting next to Roger's ghost. I miss that dude.
Yeah...frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

+ 1 gazillion wink.gif ...Same here. Yes I know, diff strokes for diff folks but I just don't get it why some will have a heart attack if some spoiler is given away. Who the hell cares? or you trying to solve some puzzle or something...anyways I digress.

The spoiler, "twist", surprise, etc like the one for instance in the 6th sense does not ruin anything for me. When I'm watching a movie, I'm enjoying the whole ride, the whole enchilada if you will..the direction, cinematography, set designs, F/X, acting, everything. I'm soaking it all up. If you're so focus on the twist or surprise of a movie then maybe you're just limiting or narrowing your entertainment experience.

And to my defense, don't you agree many times that a 2nd or subsequent viewing the movie is even BETTER? well why is that? is because now that the cat is out of the bag you can relax and take it all in. Now don't tell me that's never happened to you because you're lying.

Some twist or spoiler to me is just part of the whole show or experience. IDK, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here so what ever makes you happy or floats your boat is fine with me. I'm just offering the "other" side of the coin.
You make good points.

So little in life surprises me anymore.
There is way too much "been there, done that" as far as I am concerned.
I look to movies as one respite from the same sh!t, different day this world has devolved to.
Unfortunately, most flicks fail to do much original.

I'll be going to my local Sony 4K Theater for this film....hoping I won't notice Moviestars Clooney and Bullock in the leads.rolleyes.gif
Edited by oink - 9/18/13 at 10:38pm
post #79 of 738
Fortunately Oink, this movie is all about the big universe and space travel and not so much character driven. I think you could even put Miley Cyrus in this movie and still enjoy it.

And don't get me wrong about the casting, I'm still very much seeing this movie. It's just Bullock has been in so many comedies that I just cannot picture her doing so diff in a space suit.


Hey Mr Oink. . On my significant other request, we've been curious to ask you how much "Oinker" is the Oink. From your handle name, we couldn't help it to ask you this. It's a bit off topic but I really can't resist and hope it won't rub anyone the wrong way and thought some might also get something from it smile.gif Are you familiar with any of the following BBQ rubs? These are suppose to be the really good ones they used on the BBQ circuit and I'm always looking for a really good all around rub..esp for chicken & pork.

Recently we discovered a whole new world with pork...these free range black yorkshire pigs..the "Kobe" of pigs. I got some during the holidays, a big honking 8 bone rib roast slab that I cut into 1" pork chops and after brine them for 24 hrs we were in hog heaven I swear the best moistest flavorful pork chops off the grill ever. It wasn't cheap but a once in while splurge is very much worth it. Since them we've been really into BBQ'ing and rubs.

The Dizzy Pig dizzy dust
The Killer Hogs BBQ rub
Plowboys Yardbird rub
17th St Magic Rub
3 EYZ original bbq spice rub
Texas BBQ Rubs
Pappy's Choice seasonings
And lastly this one suppose to be the bomb: It's Incredible seasoning

I'm sure you're familiar with some of these and if you know of a good one not on this list, share it with me
post #80 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I think you could even put Miley Cyrus in this movie and still enjoy it.
For some reason, that isn't very reassuring.eek.gif

Quote:
It's just Bullock has been in so many comedies that I just cannot picture her doing so diff in a space suit.
That is what I was trying to get at.
Clooney and Bullock are so familiar and typecast, I find it difficult to imagine them in a movie like this.confused.gif

Quote:
Hey Mr Oink. . On my significant other request, we've been curious to ask you how much "Oinker" is the Oink. From your handle name, we couldn't help it to ask you this. It's a bit off topic but I really can't resist and hope it won't rub anyone the wrong way and thought some might also get something from it smile.gif Are you familiar with any of the following BBQ rubs? These are suppose to be the really good ones they used on the BBQ circuit and I'm always looking for a really good all around rub..esp for chicken & pork.

Recently we discovered a whole new world with pork...these free range black yorkshire pigs..the "Kobe" of pigs. I got some during the holidays, a big honking 8 bone rib roast slab that I cut into 1" pork chops and after brine them for 24 hrs we were in hog heaven I swear the best moistest flavorful pork chops off the grill ever. It wasn't cheap but a once in while splurge is very much worth it. Since them we've been really into BBQ'ing and rubs.

The Dizzy Pig dizzy dust
The Killer Hogs BBQ rub
Plowboys Yardbird rub
17th St Magic Rub
3 EYZ original bbq spice rub
Texas BBQ Rubs
Pappy's Choice seasonings
And lastly this one suppose to be the bomb: It's Incredible seasoning

I'm sure you're familiar with some of these and if you know of a good one not on this list, share it with me
lt's late, I have been drinking, and I have a daybreak appt. with some very large trout....
Lemme me get back to you tomorrow.wink.gif
post #81 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Fortunately Oink, this movie is all about the big universe and space travel and not so much character driven. I think you could even put Miley Cyrus in this movie and still enjoy it.

It looks to me that the movie will begin with the space crash and then evolve into a completely character driver story. I don't think there's too much space travel after their ride gets dinged up. I predict Bullock and Clooney are going to do a good job. We will see.

Don't waste you money on pre - packaged rubs. Salt, sugar, Cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika. Coat the ribs with honey and mustard and Worcestershire sauce before applying the rub. What really pushes them over the edge is wrapping them in foil when they are almost done with brown sugar and butter. Not exactly low-cal, but damn tasty.
post #82 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Some films are plot driven. Some are character driven. Some are about the interactions between or among characters, and some are about themes or concepts. Some are even visual feasts with a running theme throughout.

What happens next? is often an irrelevant question. I can tell you what happens next, and there's a big hint in the title. She falls towards earth. There, I spoiled the whole film for you, might as well not see it now.

Not to be harsh, man, but really. Is watching a movie just about waiting to see how it all ends? I don't know about you, but that's certainly not the whole experience for me. Sometimes the journey is the destination. Who cares how it ends? would be my retort to you. I want to see the beginning and the middle and everything in between. Give me that film and I'll watch it.

There's simply no denying that some movie trailers give away far too much. This is a problem that's gone on for a long time. Back in the day, I remember paying to see Patriot Games in the theater, and feeling like I'd already seen every important scene in the movie start-to-finish, including the climax (right down to the method that the villain would be killed by) and the final scene. The only parts that were "new" all seemed like filler. More recently, that was the case with the comedy Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, the red band trailer for which literally shows every single joke in the entire movie. I would have enjoyed both of these movies far more had I not already "pre-seen" them.

So, yes, the journey is more important than the destination, but a bad trailer can spoil the journey as well as the destination.

Whether the trailers for Gravity have this problem remains to be seen. I've avoided watching most of them. smile.gif
post #83 of 738
There was Ron Howard’s Apollo 13. And unless you were in a coma for 25 years, we all knew how that turned out before we went into the theater, yet it made for riveting viewing.
post #84 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

this movie is all about the big universe and space travel and not so much character driven. I think you could even put Miley Cyrus in this movie and still enjoy it.

For some reason, I don't think this movie is about "space travel" at all...It does take place in space, but it's centered on the characters and the extreme ordeal they're facing. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney have both the talent and the "cinematic presence" required for such a story.
post #85 of 738
holy moly!

all these vituperative responses over a comment that too many trailers give too much away?
sorry, i stand by my opinion in this regard

well i have many friends here and your opinions are respected and we shall see what this film delivers.

i could take an educated guess right now about how this movie plays out
from what i've seen so far. (i won't speculate here).

i anxiously await the release of gravity and will bide my time with your rib recipes

thanks for the grilling suggestions
post #86 of 738
The Titanic sinks.

Chief speaks.

I am Spartacus.

He's dead.

Andy escapes.

There you go. I just spoiled five classic films for you. Sorry.
post #87 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

holy moly!

all these vituperative responses over a comment that too many trailers give too much away?
sorry, i stand by my opinion in this regard

well i have many friends here and your opinions are respected and we shall see what this film delivers.

i could take an educated guess right now about how this movie plays out
from what i've seen so far. (i won't speculate here).

i anxiously await the release of gravity and will bide my time with your rib recipes

thanks for the grilling suggestions

Yeah, I thought you were getting roughed up more than usual there. Its the AVS way sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

vituperative

New word for me, thanks. I love words that sound like what they mean, if that makes any sense.
post #88 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

holy moly!

all these vituperative responses over a comment that too many trailers give too much away?
sorry, i stand by my opinion in this regard

You thought that was vituperative? Wow. Maybe I've got too many calluses and don't notice.

No offense intended earlier. Just disagreeing. Didn't see any abuse directed at you the person. I see spirited but civil discourse about opinions and arguments in this thread, but no personal attacks or abusive language or behavior. Welcome to the internet. This place is kid friendly. Truly.
post #89 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

hope it won't rub anyone the wrong way
NEVER rub a pig (particularly on the belly).

Quote:
Are you familiar with any of the following BBQ rubs? These are suppose to be the really good ones they used on the BBQ circuit and I'm always looking for a really good all around rub..esp for chicken & pork.
Madam...I am NOT a cannibal.

Quote:
Recently we discovered a whole new world with pork...these free range black yorkshire pigs..the "Kobe" of pigs.
Some of my best friends are were black yorkshires....frown.gif

Quote:
I got some during the holidays, a big honking 8 bone rib roast slab that I cut into 1" pork chops and after brine them for 24 hrs we were in hog heaven I swear the best moistest flavorful pork chops off the grill ever. It wasn't cheap but a once in while splurge is very much worth it. Since them we've been really into BBQ'ing and rubs.
The beginning of the end of a beautiful friendship.....Grrrrrr.eek.gifmad.gif

Quote:
The Dizzy Pig dizzy dust.
The Killer Hogs BBQ rub
Stereotyping....plain and simple.

Quote:
I'm sure you're familiar with some of these and if you know of a good one not on this list, share it with me
As a matter of fact, I was not "familiar with some of those."
What I AM familiar with is profiling....
And no, I will not give out any further personal information.biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

There was Ron Howard’s Apollo 13. And unless you were in a coma for 25 years, we all knew how that turned out before we went into the theater, yet it made for riveting viewing.
Good point...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

The Titanic sinks.

Chief speaks.

I am Spartacus.

He's dead.

Andy escapes.

There you go. I just spoiled five classic films for you. Sorry.
There is always someone out there who can't keep a secret....tongue.gif
post #90 of 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


Some of my best friends are were black yorkshires....frown.gif

What I AM familiar with is profiling....
And no, I will not give out any further personal information.biggrin.gif

Whoa, so my "profiling" was dead on..your BF were black Yorkshires. I knew there was connection with you.

And to add to the connection, trout is my all time fav fish. I hated fishing in my youth, I was kidnapped by my grandpa. But we would go on out patio in Lake Shasta and cast our lines and catch trout and catfish, cleaned them right there on the spot and put them on charcoal grill. Can you say indescribable?

Ok Sir Oink I like to leave you with this for hurting your BF, something you could have used with that trout you were wrestling with the other day. It's better than parchment bec you can wash and re-use em. And never have to worry about cleaning & cooking on those nasty grills in the public parks, your trout will never stick too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Alfonso Cuaron's new film ("Gravity") to feature 17 minute opening long take