or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 41

post #1201 of 2218
I tried a few setting for sports and regular cable still think it looks bad.. I keep seeing blurs around all the football players
post #1202 of 2218
I tried a few setting for sports and regular cable still think it looks bad.. I keep seeing blurs around all the football players
post #1203 of 2218
I tried a few setting for sports and regular cable still think it looks bad.. I keep seeing blurs around all the football players
post #1204 of 2218
Hey guys about the Internet settings, my hx850 cant connect wireless. It connects to it wired fines but not wireless. I keep getting local acces failed Internet failed. My tablet iphone ps3 all can connect except my tv. Any suggestions?
post #1205 of 2218
I've had this set for two weeks and am very happy with the unit. Coming from the last of the Toshiba widescreen CRT's it a big jump !! It seems that the majority of posted setups are pretty dark and belong in a dedicated HT room. Does anyone have a good setup for Blueray and Cable for a room that actually has windows?? Maybe I'm just getting old or something but I prefer a brighter image that works more like standard everyday lighting rather than theater dark and compensated dim.

It would also seem that all the auto and noise type setting are frowned upon here, and while I don't fully understand what most of them do it would seem practical that they must offer some service or why even bother putting them in the software?? I have a pretty hard time with color, it's genetic, but I can tell when things are off but I can't tell what exactly it is. I would like to have the TV to it's best potential for my family and friends, any help appreciated.

Paul
post #1206 of 2218
Watching a lot of tv and I'm starting to get used to the tv. I set about 9 1/2 feet from a 55inch and it kind of gives me a headache. Not sure what to do about this I wonder if switching to a 46 would be a little bit better for me..
post #1207 of 2218
Hey i thought this would be a good thread to use as I couldn't see a thread for my exact tv (Sony KDL46HX853).

I just wanted some other peoples opinion on crosstalk with this screen? Specifically on games?

I find it awful, really bad, can hardly have any depth in my games or the image is riddled with crosstalk.

If thats just how it is thats fine but if its possible mine in a dud then i'd like to know as I can get it replaced. This being my first 3D tv its possible its just my expectations were too high...

Cheers for any opinions shared!

Rich
post #1208 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by School View Post

Watching a lot of tv and I'm starting to get used to the tv. I set about 9 1/2 feet from a 55inch and it kind of gives me a headache. Not sure what to do about this I wonder if switching to a 46 would be a little bit better for me..

I am about the same distance as you. I hesitated a lot between a 46" and 55". I ended up getting the 46". After I set it up and watched some TV on it, I am glad I went with the 46". I came from a 32" from the same distance so it's plenty big for me. I still find it quite big myself so I have no regret on size right now. Actually, I'm glad I didn't go with the 55" because I think I would have the same hesitation as you.

A lot of people here will tell you to give it a week or so before switching it and I think it's a valid recommandation. I'd wait to make sure if you can get used to it or not. If you can't you can always switch back to 46" but I'm sure you'll feel that 46" is small after spending a week with a 55" but that should go away after you get used to the 46.

What size of TV you had before this 55"
post #1209 of 2218
i have had my 850 for about a month now and can comment on reception on my unit from a cable source. I watch mainly TV and not blue rays so calibrating my 850 has been very frustrating. My cable source is Comcast Cable and the "strength" of signal varies with each channel. The colors are very rich on a number of channels and very weak on others. As far as I know, you cannot calibrate individual channels. I basically have calibrated to the strong channels and left the weak channels suffer as they are much fewer than the strong ones.
post #1210 of 2218
thanks for the info.. i have been trying used to it for a few days now it just seems a bit overbearing.. i came from a 46in xbr3 in my bedroom, the current 55 is being used in my living room in my new house.. eveyone who i tell this to thinks im crazy but thats because they dont get headaches from it lol
post #1211 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE MORRILL View Post

i have had my 850 for about a month now and can comment on reception on my unit from a cable source. I watch mainly TV and not blue rays so calibrating my 850 has been very frustrating. My cable source is Comcast Cable and the "strength" of signal varies with each channel. The colors are very rich on a number of channels and very weak on others. As far as I know, you cannot calibrate individual channels. I basically have calibrated to the strong channels and left the weak channels suffer as they are much fewer than the strong ones.

i know how you feel since i moved i miss cablevision so much.. comcast sucks
post #1212 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocReg View Post

Hey i thought this would be a good thread to use as I couldn't see a thread for my exact tv (Sony KDL46HX853).
I just wanted some other peoples opinion on crosstalk with this screen? Specifically on games?
I find it awful, really bad, can hardly have any depth in my games or the image is riddled with crosstalk.
If thats just how it is thats fine but if its possible mine in a dud then i'd like to know as I can get it replaced. This being my first 3D tv its possible its just my expectations were too high...
Cheers for any opinions shared!
Rich
not in front of my set at the moment, but there is a setting for the depth of 3D.
try a different setting for it as it makes a difference on mine.
you might get there through options menu....but it is through the main menu.
medium was best on mine...
post #1213 of 2218
Hey guys, just got the 55hx850. Just one question. I'm trying out different picture settings. When I turn the picture setting to Custom, the pictures becomes grainy, grey and pixelated. Nothing I do changes it. When I choose standard or vivid, there's no problems. Is this normal?
post #1214 of 2218
you may be able to reset the custom setting....back to factory settings.
that might clear things up.
post #1215 of 2218
Okay, I think there is something wrong with my sony hx850. All the menus are a neon green and the menu lettering is a crazy purple color. Any ideas how to fix this or should I just return it?
post #1216 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcraze View Post

Okay, I think there is something wrong with my sony hx850. All the menus are a neon green and the menu lettering is a crazy purple color. Any ideas how to fix this or should I just return it?
Return it or call Sony asap
post #1217 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocReg View Post

Hey i thought this would be a good thread to use as I couldn't see a thread for my exact tv (Sony KDL46HX853).
I just wanted some other peoples opinion on crosstalk with this screen? Specifically on games?
I find it awful, really bad, can hardly have any depth in my games or the image is riddled with crosstalk.
If thats just how it is thats fine but if its possible mine in a dud then i'd like to know as I can get it replaced. This being my first 3D tv its possible its just my expectations were too high...
Cheers for any opinions shared!
Rich

eeamon gave you an answer about 3D depth. I haven´t use the 3D feature yet on my 55HX850 but my 3D glasses are on the way. I read in several places that the crosstalk was very bad with this TV, but in reality the problem is not the TV but the glasses you use. The sony TDG-BR250 ($50 ON AMAZON) and the TDG-BR750 ($100 ON AMAZON) are prone to the crosstalk problem that you have been having. The glasses to get are the Playstation 3D glasses ($20 ON AMAZON) because they do not produce crosstalk even if you tilt your head. I was lucky to find an article on Hometheater.com that is just about this specific problem to the HX850 and HX950. The link is http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-3d-glasses-tale-two-pairs. I hope this will be of any help to you and any other forum members that have doubts about the 3D problems that most professionals reviewers mention about the HX850. I don't understand why not sony just offer the Playstation 3D glasses only, they are better and are cheap compared to the other 2 models, they even should include 2 pairs with the TV to begin with.
post #1218 of 2218
Thanks for the tips fegam2 and eeamon, much appreciated. For $20 I'll give those a go and also play with my settings more.

I tried the below test and the white appeared ok but the black not, I had almost the full picture feeding in on the black test!!

http://3dvision-blog.com/4056-stereo-3d-display-crosstalk-test-photos-with-some-results/

If anyone else wants to try it that would be great, thanks!
post #1219 of 2218
I wanted to chime in on the glasses. I returned an older Sony TV due to the poor 3D. However, before returning the set, I found out that there are polarization filters available for the BR-250 glasses. They go over the lenses and eliminate the issues of color shifting and crosstalk. I received them just before the set was returned. Also, within the AVS forum, there is mention that there are also available now polarization filters for the new BR-750 glasses.

I also did try the Play Station glasses before returning the set and they do indeed eliminate the color shifting and crosstalk issues too. They are not as well made as the BR-250 glasses, but will do the job and the price is great as well if you can find them below the BR-250 prices.

Another possible source is Dimensional Optics. They make 3D glasses for most systems including Sony.

Good luck and good hunting!
post #1220 of 2218
Hi everyone just looking for some advice. Last week I purchased a Sony 55HX850 and here is my issue. With my current set up which is approximately 9 1/2 feet away and for some reason it seems the tv is giving me a headache and/or eye strain. After looking at the recommended distances, it seems like I'm within range so I am not sure what the problem is. I'm thinking about possibly returning the tv for the Sony 46Hx850 or possibly switching from an LED to a plasma. The two plasmas that I'm extremely interested in are the Panasonic P55VT50 or the P50GT50. My main uses for this television will be watching hockey, blu rays, and I will be playing a substantial amount of video games. Please let me know what my best options are for my Sony has to be returned by the 21st. Thanks in advance!
Dennis
post #1221 of 2218
Thanks Cibo that sounds interesting, I just ordered the PS3 glasses so I'll give them a try but if not the filters sound like my next bet! Does anyone have a link to where they are available? (is this them? http://www.waeplus.co.uk/product/1660091/Sony-Polarizer-Adaptor-3D-Glass)

On a completely different note I noticed last night with my PS3 connected to the kdl46-hx853 and then the optical out going to my AV receiver that it wont passthrough a DTS sound signal, is that standard? It seems to work ok for dolby digital but not DTS?
Edited by apocReg - 1/8/13 at 7:47am
post #1222 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by School View Post

Hi everyone just looking for some advice. Last week I purchased a Sony 55HX850 and here is my issue. With my current set up which is approximately 9 1/2 feet away and for some reason it seems the tv is giving me a headache and/or eye strain. After looking at the recommended distances, it seems like I'm within range so I am not sure what the problem is. I'm thinking about possibly returning the tv for the Sony 46Hx850 or possibly switching from an LED to a plasma. The two plasmas that I'm extremely interested in are the Panasonic P55VT50 or the P50GT50. My main uses for this television will be watching hockey, blu rays, and I will be playing a substantial amount of video games. Please let me know what my best options are for my Sony has to be returned by the 21st. Thanks in advance!
Dennis

What is ur backlight set at? Contrast? Tame both down a bit. For hockey and video games i would NOT reccomend plasma at all. Some say plasmas are okay for video games but ive read mixed reviews. But i have definitely read that plasmas are terrible for hockey since the ice is a bright white. Plasmas are dim when it comes to whites.

If lowering the contrast and backlight do not help, keep your 55 and buy the 46 too. Try the 46 out and then take back whichever set u choose. Of course u need to make sure ur within both sets return policy period.

The first hdtv i had was an LG led. I knew nothing of backlight being pumped up. I watched a movie in the dark and almost burned my retinas lol. I have since learned that having the backlight even half way still produced a bright beautiful picture in most environments.
post #1223 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

What is ur backlight set at? Contrast? Tame both down a bit. For hockey and video games i would NOT reccomend plasma at all. Some say plasmas are okay for video games but ive read mixed reviews. But i have definitely read that plasmas are terrible for hockey since the ice is a bright white. Plasmas are dim when it comes to whites.
If lowering the contrast and backlight do not help, keep your 55 and buy the 46 too. Try the 46 out and then take back whichever set u choose. Of course u need to make sure ur within both sets return policy period.
The first hdtv i had was an LG led. I knew nothing of backlight being pumped up. I watched a movie in the dark and almost burned my retinas lol. I have since learned that having the backlight even half way still produced a bright beautiful picture in most environments.


I'm currently using cnets calibrations.. So I know the backlight is somewhat toned down.. Others have mentioned it could have to do with pwm?
post #1224 of 2218
For anyone with Flashlighting issue. Did you ended up just exchanging your set? If so, was it at the place where you purchase your TV or was it with Sony directly.

I'm wondering if I should try to work it out with Sony or pack up the TV and exchange it where I bough it.
post #1225 of 2218
This is the part number from Sony that should work --- 145839511 Polarizer Adapter ( for BR250). My understanding is that Sony should not charge for them. I received 4 pair for free from Sony.
post #1226 of 2218
Just want to give an update that after last night, it seems I can only see the flashlighting off the 2 bottom corners of the TV instead of actually enjoying my TV. So I went back to the store today and arranged for a replacement TV which should arrive on saterday.

I also took another peak at the floor model they had (it's a 55" while my TV is 46") and it seems to have no flashlighting at all. I'm crossing my fingers my replacement TV will be similar.
post #1227 of 2218
the sound is pretty bad.. always have to lower the volume in action scenes and raise it during dialogue... what settings should i change to hear things more clearly
post #1228 of 2218
Hi there,

I'm testing 46HX850 (European set), so I'm searching info regarding calibration (I have no probe), but most of the info I'm getting is about perfect calibration for BluRay playback (with all postprocessing turned off, i.e.), but I mainly watch streaming content (Netflix&Hulu) and Hi10P anime. Can anybody give me some hints about calibrating HX850 for streaming content? I believe postprocessing capabilities of the TV can improve picture quality when using Netflix or Hulu, but I find little or no info about these settings.

I would appreciate any info about that.

Same about Anime playback..I know there is a "Animation" option in Scene Settings, but I'm setting new TV aside old TV (Samsung LE46A956) and I prefer Samsung over Sony.

Thank you all.
post #1229 of 2218
Update on my crosstalk, I performed this test:

http://3dvision-blog.com/4056-stereo-3d-display-crosstalk-test-photos-with-some-results/comment-page-1/#comment-23077

And here are my results (Through BR250 glasses), the black right eye which should be black shows pretty terrible results.... the entire picture!!!!!!!!!!

Black Left


Black Right (Should be black)


White Left


White Right (Should be white)


Should I take my television back or could this be normal for my set... Can anyone with a HX853 (or even HX850) please do the tests to compare?

Thank you for any help!
Cheers
post #1230 of 2218
EDIT: Never mind. Looks like that was already asked and answered in this thread. The short answer to my question below is NO.

Just bought this TV and I love it.

I'm setting up my Logitech Harmony 300, and I'm wondering if there's a quick button to switch between picture presets. Does anyone know? I don't see a button like that on the Sony remote.

Right now if I want to change picture modes I have to go Picture Adjustments -> Picture Mode and toggle from there. I'd like to be able to toggle picture modes by pressing a single button.
Edited by Mnoisewater - 1/9/13 at 6:38pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)