or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 42

post #1231 of 2218
Great TV. Got this used from Amazon Warehouse deals for like new at $1600. No clouding or bleeding backlights. Used the Cnet settings as base and tweaked it a bit for my room. Set the backlight at 5 and reflection from the Gorilla glass is not much of an issue. Turn it down and yes the reflection gets bothersome.
The only problem is angle of view. Move to 45 degrees from the center and the picture gets washed out a little. Less contrast and pop. Otherwise a great TV.
post #1232 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoisewater View Post

EDIT: Never mind. Looks like that was already asked and answered in this thread. The short answer to my question below is NO.

Just bought this TV and I love it.

I'm setting up my Logitech Harmony 300, and I'm wondering if there's a quick button to switch between picture presets. Does anyone know? I don't see a button like that on the Sony remote.

Right now if I want to change picture modes I have to go Picture Adjustments -> Picture Mode and toggle from there. I'd like to be able to toggle picture modes by pressing a single button.

As I've posted several times in this thread, there was a dedicated Scene button one generation ago (e.g. EX500) and a dedicated Picture button two generations ago (e.g. W4100). The HX850 still responds to these buttons, so you have to figure out how to get the codes into your remote. I have both old remotes so can just teach them directly to my real remote, a Sony RM-VL610, but I also am able to program a JP1 remote using my computer and could do it that way. Presumably, your Harmony can be programmed with these codes, as they surely exist in the codesets for the earlier TVs, which the Harmony should support.
post #1233 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocReg View Post

Update on my crosstalk, I performed this test:

http://3dvision-blog.com/4056-stereo-3d-display-crosstalk-test-photos-with-some-results/comment-page-1/#comment-23077

And here are my results (Through BR250 glasses), the black right eye which should be black shows pretty terrible results.... the entire picture!!!!!!!!!!

Black Left


Black Right (Should be black)


White Left


White Right (Should be white)


Should I take my television back or could this be normal for my set... Can anyone with a HX853 (or even HX850) please do the tests to compare?

Thank you for any help!
Cheers
You might have blocked your IR-Sensor of the screen. It has to have a clear sight to your glasses.
post #1234 of 2218
Sorry to ask such a stupid question... where would the sensor be?
post #1235 of 2218
See here page 10: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/416980/Sony-Kdl-55hx850-Operating-Instructions.html?page=10#manual
In the lower right of the screen. The one for the remote is in the lower left.
post #1236 of 2218
Thanks thats great, unfortunately if its on the bottom right i doubt it as that side has nothing near it but I'll check.

Could anything be interfering with it maybe?
post #1237 of 2218
Could also be, some cold cathode lightning could, maybe even normal lamps. Maybe try it with all lamps or any other light emitting devices off.
Also other active IR senders, like the XBOX Kinect could have an impact, even though they normally shouldn't.
Those are just some ideas, I haven't yet received my screen yet, so I only speak of old PC 3D experience (good old Nvidia TNT 2 times...).
post #1238 of 2218
I may try it in another room with nothing else electrical to test!

Cheers for the ideas, I'll report back!
post #1239 of 2218
Anyonw with the 46" experiancing shadows in light content on the bottom 2 corners




post #1240 of 2218
Hey guys I've tried the cnet settings and there great expect the light sensor off. Cnet has that off and thats flash bleeding occurs so I just switched it back on. Did anyone put the cnet settings?
post #1241 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKreturns View Post

Hey guys I've tried the cnet settings and there great expect the light sensor off. Cnet has that off and thats flash bleeding occurs so I just switched it back on. Did anyone put the cnet settings?

Light Sensor bascially reduces the backlight automatically based on the room brighness. However it goes overboard and makes the picture quite dim.

The way to work around this is to use 2 settings, 1 for day time (higher backlight) and 1 for night time (low backlight). You should set these things as per your need.
post #1242 of 2218
Greetings all. I have the opportunity to purchase a KDL-55HX855 over here in Germany from the BX (I'm US Military). I currently have last years model 46" Sony LED....and want to go LARGER. Prior to the 46", I had a 100" projection screen/projector setup. Dropping down to 46" was unavoidable due to an upcoming move...but now it is just to small for my liking and I really want to purchase the 55HX855....and may do so tomorrow. The price isn't really the greatest....but I consider it an ok deal.

Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between the HX850 and the HX855?

From what I remember in-store, the HX855 has Motionflow XR 800 Hz....here is more info on the 855: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/kdl-55hx855

thanks for any thoughts or guidance!
post #1243 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussjtrunks View Post

Anyonw with the 46" experiancing shadows in light content on the bottom 2 corners





Where you see shadow on light content, are you seeing flashlighting on dark content (brighter spot in cone shape, originating from the same corners?).

I notice that too on my current HX850 which I am exchanging due to flashlighting.
post #1244 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethewxguy View Post

Greetings all. I have the opportunity to purchase a KDL-55HX855 over here in Germany from the BX (I'm US Military). I currently have last years model 46" Sony LED....and want to go LARGER. Prior to the 46", I had a 100" projection screen/projector setup. Dropping down to 46" was unavoidable due to an upcoming move...but now it is just to small for my liking and I really want to purchase the 55HX855....and may do so tomorrow. The price isn't really the greatest....but I consider it an ok deal.

Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between the HX850 and the HX855?

From what I remember in-store, the HX855 has Motionflow XR 800 Hz....here is more info on the 855: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/kdl-55hx855

thanks for any thoughts or guidance!

hmm that seems like a step down from the 960Hz from the HX850.
post #1245 of 2218
Actually its just the way overseas tvs are. A 120hz tv here would be a 100 hz there
post #1246 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Where you see shadow on light content, are you seeing flashlighting on dark content (brighter spot in cone shape, originating from the same corners?).

I notice that too on my current HX850 which I am exchanging due to flashlighting.
yeah its in the same corners as the flashlighting I have but the flashlighting is very minor even with local dimming off definately not as large as the corner shadows, oddly enough they dont show on white screens either just dark red/purple and sand coloured stuff and depening on viewing angle they can and will dissapear if im head on with the display
post #1247 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethewxguy View Post

Greetings all. I have the opportunity to purchase a KDL-55HX855 over here in Germany from the BX (I'm US Military). I currently have last years model 46" Sony LED....and want to go LARGER. Prior to the 46", I had a 100" projection screen/projector setup. Dropping down to 46" was unavoidable due to an upcoming move...but now it is just to small for my liking and I really want to purchase the 55HX855....and may do so tomorrow. The price isn't really the greatest....but I consider it an ok deal.

Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between the HX850 and the HX855?

From what I remember in-store, the HX855 has Motionflow XR 800 Hz....here is more info on the 855: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/kdl-55hx855

thanks for any thoughts or guidance!

hmm that seems like a step down from the 960Hz from the HX850.

16 x 60 Hz = 960 Hz.

16 x 50 Hz = 800 Hz.

Same thing, relatively speaking, as I think the "standard" refresh rate for a TV sold in Germany is 50 Hz.
post #1248 of 2218
I have been doing more research on the HX855 and it appears to feature 960 Hz....and it is also auto voltage (works with both 110/220v or 50/60Hz)....
post #1249 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethewxguy View Post

I have been doing more research on the HX855 and it appears to feature 960 Hz....and it is also auto voltage (works with both 110/220v or 50/60Hz)....

The HX853 which seems to be a UK model and has been reviewed at several sites is described as having MotionFlow XR800, and I believe the 800 is derived as I previously mentioned. So based on what you said, it sounds like the HX855 could be the "general purpose" model.
post #1250 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethewxguy View Post

Greetings all. I have the opportunity to purchase a KDL-55HX855 over here in Germany from the BX (I'm US Military). I currently have last years model 46" Sony LED....and want to go LARGER. Prior to the 46", I had a 100" projection screen/projector setup. Dropping down to 46" was unavoidable due to an upcoming move...but now it is just to small for my liking and I really want to purchase the 55HX855....and may do so tomorrow. The price isn't really the greatest....but I consider it an ok deal.

Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between the HX850 and the HX855?

From what I remember in-store, the HX855 has Motionflow XR 800 Hz....here is more info on the 855: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/kdl-55hx855

thanks for any thoughts or guidance!
The main, if not sole difference (if bought in the same country) is that the HX850 has a DVB-C tuner, while the HX855 also has a DVB-S tuner besides it's DVB-C tuner.
post #1251 of 2218
Looks like the 55hx850 is sold out everywhere! including sony's site. I talked to a sony rep today and they said they are done shipping them to stores. This means I will have to buy the display model from my local hh gregg. I guess I will use the money I save and buy the extended warranty with it.
post #1252 of 2218
When will sony unveil there 2013s
post #1253 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

Great TV. Got this used from Amazon Warehouse deals for like new at $1600. No clouding or bleeding backlights. Used the Cnet settings as base and tweaked it a bit for my room. Set the backlight at 5 and reflection from the Gorilla glass is not much of an issue. Turn it down and yes the reflection gets bothersome.
The only problem is angle of view. Move to 45 degrees from the center and the picture gets washed out a little. Less contrast and pop. Otherwise a great TV.
Congrats on your purchase. Is there any warranty with the amazon warehouse deals? I have been thinking of purchasing the 850 this way.
post #1254 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Try setting motionflow to clear if it isn't already.

Aaron

Hi again guys. So had the tv for a while now and set it to motion flow and it may be a little better. But the more I watch the more I notice this effect and am disappointed. You can see this not even on fast moving images, such as where someone is walking past a background etc its like the tv is reproducing the background around the moving object as it moves past.

Is this just part of having LCD/ led instead of plasma for motion viewing ? Or should I be changing some settings.

Thanks
post #1255 of 2218
post #1256 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg75 View Post

Hi again guys. So had the tv for a while now and set it to motion flow and it may be a little better. But the more I watch the more I notice this effect and am disappointed. You can see this not even on fast moving images, such as where someone is walking past a background etc its like the tv is reproducing the background around the moving object as it moves past.

Is this just part of having LCD/ led instead of plasma for motion viewing ? Or should I be changing some settings.

This is not a common general complaint, so what is the source material, e.g. cable broadcast, DVD, Bluray, or what? What's the resolution? If it isn't everything, what are the exact titles?
post #1257 of 2218
Picked up the 55HX855 today....it's great thus far! Probably paid a little too much on it over here but at least I didn't pay tax/shipping I guess (purchased from Military BX/Exchange)....Hopefully this one will last me for a little while. Moving to Korea in May and I know I'll be tempted by the nice Samsungs' (amongst others) that I'll see over there...but again, really liking the Sony right now. Can't wait for NFL football tomorrow night!
post #1258 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Looks like the 55hx850 is sold out everywhere! including sony's site. I talked to a sony rep today and they said they are done shipping them to stores. This means I will have to buy the display model from my local hh gregg. I guess I will use the money I save and buy the extended warranty with it.

Sony online is still showing in stock.

They have them at my sony store in florida and at our Best Buy.

Danediz, what state do you live in? Here in florida it seems as if they are easy to purchase here.

Please keep us updated and let us know if you were able to pick one.

Good Luck my friend! smile.gif
post #1259 of 2218
Just wondering if some of you notice that on some bright scene, the TV is exceptionnaly bright and on dark scene, the TV seems to dark at times.

watching some HD cable feed mostly (which is what I do 80% of the time with this TV). I feel sometimes that the Tv is a bit too dark. I have my backlit set to either 1 or min since on bright scene, I think it works really well and in most scene in generals. Some evening seens, compared to my old Tv, I have the feeling at times that the black crushing my shadow details a bit too much for my liking.

to try to solve this, the first change I did was to disable the Econo mod. I had it set to low to try to mask my flashlighting in the 2 bottom corners but it seems the screen is just too dim and shadown detail suffer. It did improve things but I keep noticing some black crushing still occuring. Next step that I did was to set Led dynamic control to Low instead of Standard. Again, I saw improvement in the shadow details but I am starting to lose some good black level.

I'm willing to accept losing some black level to get a bit more shadow details. Wondering if others have recommandations as to what else could be done.

for the record, I have mostly all special enhancement set to off. My motion flow is set to standard (so no clear or clear plus that would darken the screen further).

the observation that I have are done mostly at night with minimum lighting in the room.
post #1260 of 2218
Sony.com says in stock until u try and checkout. Sony rep even told me this. Im in indiana.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)