Originally Posted by bitterkevin
I got some strange reboots over the weekend too. Reset your TV by holding up on the remote's d-pad and pressing the power button on the TV itself. You should see a thing pop up that says "RESET?". Press power again while still holding up. This happened on my EX720 too, annoyingly frequently, usually after updates. Unplugging the TV for a few minutes also seems to work.
Fybush, i'll look for that dent tonight.
There's a more extensive discussion of the 'random restarts' on the HX820 thread.
Let me try to summarize what's known so far about the 'random restarts':
- The symptom we're describing when we say 'random restarts' is that the TV suddenly turns off and turns back on by iteslf and for no apparent reason; total time it's off is no more than 5 seconds or so
- It isn't related to firmware auto-updates (happens too frequently, no update is found to have happened after the random restart, and it's happening even for people who turned auto-updates off)
- It often seems to happen shortly after turning the TV on (within 1-2 minutes) but definitely can happen at other times as well (anytime after it's been on for a while)
- Models confirmed to be affected so far: HX820, NX720, HX850
- The HOST_WDT error count in the Diagnostics self-check seems to correlate directly to the random restarts
- (when a random restart happens the HOST_WDT error count increases by 1)
- (To get to the Error Log: Turn the TV off, wait 3 seconds, then press: Display, 5, Volume Down, Power; in sequence, not at the same time)
- (The error counts apparently get reset to zero after a firmware update, so the error count would only show the instances since your last update, not since you've owned the TV)
- It can happen whether you're using the Wireless connectivity or connecting through ethernet
- It can happen regardless of the Input of function you're doing (HDMI, Composite, using the built-in Netflix, ect)
- The frequency with which it can happen can vary a lot
- (I"ve personally seen it happen as often as once a couple days in a row, and then two weeks go by before it happens again)
- There's no indication of whether this issue is a hardware of firmware related issue (obviously a firmware issue would be much better, as it could be fixed by Sony through an update)
So guys, at this point it might make sense to make a new thread for this issue especially since it's crosses over so many models. A thread called something like "Sony random restart issue (HX820,HX850,NX720)"
I really want to get this issue resolved because my HX820 seems like a nearly flawless TV other than this issue.