or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 65

post #1921 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by music first View Post

I think the display should be 1080iHD 16:9. That's what mine says and it's fine. I don't think 4:3 is the correct ratio. What source do you use? Cable/satellite. When I first connected my TV, the cable box was set to 720p. I had to call Comcast, they walked me through how to set it to 1080i.

Thanks, Music. Would you happen to know how I change the 850 to 16:9? Is that something I do on the TV, the Dish Network box or the Yamaha receiver it flows through?

Thanks again...
post #1922 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvn View Post

Thanks, Music. Would you happen to know how I change the 850 to 16:9? Is that something I do on the TV, the Dish Network box or the Yamaha receiver it flows through?

Thanks again...

When I switch to a standard definition channel like the Military Channel for instance, the display changes to 480i SD 4:3 on it's own, so it's not a setting on the TV. The aspect ratio comes from the source I think, so check with Dish Network.

Good luck,

Earl
post #1923 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvn View Post

Thanks, Music. Would you happen to know how I change the 850 to 16:9? Is that something I do on the TV, the Dish Network box or the Yamaha receiver it flows through?

Thanks again...

Johnnywn

Check the screen setting on your TV. Default setting for 4:3 is set to "Off" on my set. Auto Wide and Auto Display Area are both set to "On"
post #1924 of 2218
On some TV-network boxes you can set the output signal to be a fixed setting, like 1080p or 1080i. Then the TV-network box will do the upsampling of the signal and always output the configured setting.
That might not be the best solution though, as your Yamaha might have a better upsampler (my Onkyo has), in that case you could leave the setting on default on the TV-net box and change it on your Yamaha.
post #1925 of 2218
I am English but I live in Switzerland. When I ask my TV to refresh its Internet content menus it always loads the Swiss German channels. Is there some kind of hack whereby I can get it to load the English Internet channels instead?

PS when I set up the Tv for the first time, I set it to have all the menus in English; but somehow this does not have any impact on what Internet channels get loaded.
post #1926 of 2218
Just updated my software and I am having trouble getting internet content such as YouTube.

I click on Internet Video which is the only option I get when I scroll to Internet Content. the TV goes through its steps, including Authenticating, finally getting to the "Acquiring Internet content" stage. Then it just loads and loads for about 5 minutes. After that it conks out with an error message saying "Configuration failed while acquiring internet content. 5008. Please try again later."

I had this problem immediately before the update (which installed successfully) which is what prompted me to update the TV's software.

Anyone know what's going on?
post #1927 of 2218
First post. Need some feedback. I'm a pretty adamant gamer, and am pretty sensitive to input lag. I have been mulling over a few different sets including the Samsung f7100/7500, the Sony HX850 and the Sony w802a. Input lag is very important factor, and with the w802a being clocked at 6ms it's very attractive, but also more expensive than the HX850. Obviously, I do intend to watch tv/movies on this set so PQ is also important. Does anyone find the fact that certain file formats are not playable on the HX850 bothersome in regards to downloading movies, such as mkv and avi?

I personally had the chance to compare the HX850 against the f7100. I should state that according to the salesperson, neither tv was calibrated. Both tvs looked nice IMO, but I do enjoy the thinner bezel and smart options on the Samsung series. Was not able to test 3d or smart functions on the HX850. 3d seemed meh on the f7100.

If anyone can chime in here and offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
post #1928 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtowski View Post

First post. Need some feedback. I'm a pretty adamant gamer, and am pretty sensitive to input lag. I have been mulling over a few different sets including the Samsung f7100/7500, the Sony HX850 and the Sony w802a. Input lag is very important factor, and with the w802a being clocked at 6ms it's very attractive, but also more expensive than the HX850. Obviously, I do intend to watch tv/movies on this set so PQ is also important. Does anyone find the fact that certain file formats are not playable on the HX850 bothersome in regards to downloading movies, such as mkv and avi?

I personally had the chance to compare the HX850 against the f7100. I should state that according to the salesperson, neither tv was calibrated. Both tvs looked nice IMO, but I do enjoy the thinner bezel and smart options on the Samsung series. Was not able to test 3d or smart functions on the HX850. 3d seemed meh on the f7100.

If anyone can chime in here and offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Samsung offers probably the best smart platform as well as top notch "active" 3D performance. Sony smart features and 3D were never quite as good. I had a chance to try out and HX850 for gaming and was generally impressed with Sony motion performance and had no perceivable lag (Deadspace,Rage and Borderlands 1-2). While Samsung offer micro-dimming it amounts to a very aggressive dynamic contrast, whereas the Sony offered Dynamic Edge dimming with numerous (hardware) zones. From my experience with the ES (not F) series 7100 I wasn't impressed with it's motion performance and non defeatable noise canceling which made for some overly grainy looking images. The HX850 through outstanding video processing and fantastic uniformity offered a much better gaming and movie experience. Trying both sets and even this years F8000 I would take the HX850 any day. While all three mention had shown overdrive trailing(smearing) associated with the use of VA panels the Sony almost none during film content and very little with gaming. The HX850 was even able to engage CLEAR PLUS in the motion flow settings for a smoother blur free experience without artifacts or much additional lag. I have friends that work for a big box retailer and their general manager allows me to bring my PS3 and test new displays, so I have been able to test most of 2012 and a few of 2013 models.
post #1929 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by newy3 View Post

Just updated my software and I am having trouble getting internet content such as YouTube.

I click on Internet Video which is the only option I get when I scroll to Internet Content. the TV goes through its steps, including Authenticating, finally getting to the "Acquiring Internet content" stage. Then it just loads and loads for about 5 minutes. After that it conks out with an error message saying "Configuration failed while acquiring internet content. 5008. Please try again later."

I had this problem immediately before the update (which installed successfully) which is what prompted me to update the TV's software.

Anyone know what's going on?

I had a similar problem a few months back. Try shutting down all your internet connected devices and resetting your router. That's what worked for me.
post #1930 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

I had a similar problem a few months back. Try shutting down all your internet connected devices and resetting your router. That's what worked for me.

I tried that, no dice. The TV is connected to my Wi-Fi network, Network tested with positive results, Internet browser on TV working but still can't acquire new Internet content.

Anyone else having this problem?

FWIW, I'm in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks!
post #1931 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by newy3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

I had a similar problem a few months back. Try shutting down all your internet connected devices and resetting your router. That's what worked for me.

I tried that, no dice. The TV is connected to my Wi-Fi network, Network tested with positive results, Internet browser on TV working but still can't acquire new Internet content.

Anyone else having this problem?

FWIW, I'm in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks!


After I did the latest update on my HX750 it seems it connects quicker to the Internet then before. I had the same problem as you before the update at times but it seems fixed now.
post #1932 of 2218
I tried searching threads and Google, but I can't confirm this: is the KDL-55HX850 a Multi-system HDTV or monitor (at least NTSC & PAL)? When playing back PAL DVD's (haven't looked at may PAL Blu-rays on this TV, yet) I accidentally discovered that while my receiver (Yamaha RX-A2010) has 50Hz coming in from the player and sending out 50Hz to the HDTV, the HX850 displays it perfectly without my having to change any settings on the HX850. I can switch back to 60Hz and the HDTV still displays it, but because of the conversion at the player, the advanced dejudder has no effect. I have not seen any literature nor anything stating this is a multi-system monitor, and Sony doesn't seem to not that on it's US site nor on the packaging. Can anyone confirm this or point to some site that confirms this? It's nice to know, and had I known, I would have watched the many hours of PAL in its native format because it does look better on the hx850 rather than the additional step at the player of PAL to NTSC conversion introducing some barley noticeable artifacts that don't appear when playing back in its native format. Thanks.
Edited by Harry Kerry - 5/26/13 at 8:32pm
post #1933 of 2218
FWIW, I had to do a soft reset by holding the up button on the remote while pressing the on/off button on the TV. It reset some other settings too so make note of your critical settings before you try this. Cheers.
post #1934 of 2218
After mulling over 60"+ options and coming up empty - everything appears to be a compromise in some way - I'm going back to the HX850, a front-runner since the beginning. Now to track one down in Toronto for a good price. Maybe I'll be able to find a display model on the cheap.
post #1935 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubology Now View Post

After mulling over 60"+ options and coming up empty - everything appears to be a compromise in some way - I'm going back to the HX850, a front-runner since the beginning. Now to track one down in Toronto for a good price. Maybe I'll be able to find a display model on the cheap.

Try G&G Electronics on Kingston Road in Scarborough. I bought my 46HX850 there a couple of months ago and couldn't be more pleased. The box had some very, very minor scuffing/dings on it but the TV itself is perfect. They had just received a whole skid of them in that condition but I don't know their stock situation now. I got mine for $1250 w/ full 1 year manufacturer's warranty. I can also take up to a year to purchase a 3 year extended warranty. Awesome.

I've bought lots of stuff from them over the years and they are fantastic.

Good luck!
post #1936 of 2218
I have noticed that during somes scenes there appears to be a "shimmering" of edges especially in clothing of actors where there is a striped or plaid pattern. Can anyone help with this?
post #1937 of 2218
Hi guys, just got an 55HX850 as a replacement from Sony. I was looking for a new stand and I am getting a little confused. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the model number is for the Active Speaker US soundbar/stand is. I see two different numbers but I'm not sure which one is which (SU-B551S and SU-B553S) as they both appear to have speakrs. I am looking for the soundbar with the left and right speakers plus a sub. Not sure if those are the right numbers or not. Any help you guys could provide would be great.

Regards,
Dave
Edited by Victleo123 - 5/28/13 at 1:02pm
post #1938 of 2218
if there are any HX models available try Sony refurb/clearance site daily.
and since the 4K set has shown up at local stores. it may suddenly show up at a costco
or some other clearance warehouse, then they will go fast the HX 800s did.
post #1939 of 2218
Anyone know if Sony is still offering the 55HX850 at a discount for those having SXRD optical block problems? I'm in touch with Sony for just this problem, and was hoping to maybe get a discount on a new 55HX850. Any information would be appreciated.

RT
post #1940 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberToe View Post

Anyone know if Sony is still offering the 55HX850 at a discount for those having SXRD optical block problems? I'm in touch with Sony for just this problem, and was hoping to maybe get a discount on a new 55HX850. Any information would be appreciated.

RT

When I got my 55HX850 last November, they offered me a nice discount for the optical block issue. Give SonyListens a call and I'm sure they'll help you out.
post #1941 of 2218
The models they offer all depends on what they have in stock. If they don't have the HX850 they'll offer you other models. I suggest you pick out a couple of other models just in case.
post #1942 of 2218
Sonylistens is offering me the KDS-55W802A for $1,200 plus tax. I was hoping for the 55HX850 but that is now discontinued. Based upon my perusing of the dedicated threads for each, the 55HX850 looked to be the better choice. Also posted in the SXRD thread where I was discussing my original optical block problem.

RT
post #1943 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by newy3 View Post

Try G&G Electronics on Kingston Road in Scarborough. I bought my 46HX850 there a couple of months ago and couldn't be more pleased. The box had some very, very minor scuffing/dings on it but the TV itself is perfect. They had just received a whole skid of them in that condition but I don't know their stock situation now. I got mine for $1250 w/ full 1 year manufacturer's warranty. I can also take up to a year to purchase a 3 year extended warranty. Awesome.

I've bought lots of stuff from them over the years and they are fantastic.

Good luck!
I picked this up on Sunday and have been enjoying it quite a bit. The Gorilla Glass reflections aren't bothering me too much, and once I get blinds installed it won't be a problem at all. The stand has a crack in one corner, but I called Sony and they're sending me a replacement.

Hooked up my PC to the beast last night and fired up some 1080p content. Took a bit of tweaking to get it to the point where text was legible, but I think I've found a comfortable setting. I set the Scene to Games and turned off all processing, but haven't yet fired up any games to see if input lag is noticeable.

Very happy with the unit. Have done minimal tweaking, didn't get a chance to search the thread for posted settings yet but I'll do so when I have a chance. It looks fine out of the box, but maybe it'll look even better with calibrated settings.
post #1944 of 2218
Timed Recording Problem

I find that when I use my HX850 to record a program to external disk, it starts the recording 1..2 minutes early and, more to the point, it stops the recording 1..2 minutes early. So I always miss the climax of the program. Which is a real PITA...

What could be the problem behind this? Is the TV's clock wrong? Or is there something wrong with the program guide data? Or is the channel whose programs I am recording, just simply not adhering to the timings they publish in the program guide?

Is there some setting in the Sony whereby it can be persuaded to keep recording for a little longer?
post #1945 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Timed Recording Problem

I find that when I use my HX850 to record a program to external disk, it starts the recording 1..2 minutes early and, more to the point, it stops the recording 1..2 minutes early. So I always miss the climax of the program. Which is a real PITA...

What could be the problem behind this? Is the TV's clock wrong? Or is there something wrong with the program guide data? Or is the channel whose programs I am recording, just simply not adhering to the timings they publish in the program guide?

Is there some setting in the Sony whereby it can be persuaded to keep recording for a little longer?

Am I missing something here? Recording is usually done by another device with a separate tuner, not the TV. Is there some setting here that allows a HX850 to actually record? I have a HTPC hooked up to mine, but it has it's own tuners. It doesn't get the picture from the TV when recording, but will send it via HDMI to the TV when I play back. I also have a U-Verse box with it's DVR, but it has its own tuner for that. If this is correct, I'm intrigued!!
post #1946 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberToe View Post

Sonylistens is offering me the KDS-55W802A for $1,200 plus tax. I was hoping for the 55HX850 but that is now discontinued. Based upon my perusing of the dedicated threads for each, the 55HX850 looked to be the better choice. Also posted in the SXRD thread where I was discussing my original optical block problem.

RT

Yes, the 850 is a better choice but you don't have that choice. You can always ask them what other models do they have to offer. Tell them you're willing to wait to see what other models they might get in stock or choose a couple of other models that you would rather have and see if they can make you an offer on those.

The reviews on the set they're offering you aren't bad, seems like a nice TV. The CNET review: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-55w802a/4505-6482_7-35561934.html

The good: The Sony W802A offers relatively deep black levels and good shadow detail for an LED-based LCD TV; has sleek, minimalist styling and a simple, clear interface; well-rounded feature set includes enhanced mobile connectivity options; introduces very little input lag in Game mode.
The bad: Somewhat expensive; color fidelity, uniformity and picture processing are a mixed bag.
The bottom line: The Sony W802A LED LCD delivers lots of style and features, but its picture quality is only decent at this price.
post #1947 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrandt View Post

Am I missing something here? Recording is usually done by another device with a separate tuner, not the TV. Is there some setting here that allows a HX850 to actually record?

Yes, you are missing something. If you plug in a USB HD into one of the TV's USB ports then you can record programs without any 3rd party box. You can also do TV pause. I am somewhat surprised that you bought the TV without knowing its features...
post #1948 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Yes, you are missing something. If you plug in a USB HD into one of the TV's USB ports then you can record programs without any 3rd party box. You can also do TV pause. I am somewhat surprised that you bought the TV without knowing its features...

You have the wrong TV mate. The HX850 doesn't record tv.
post #1949 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchicken265 View Post

You have the wrong TV mate. The HX850 doesn't record tv.

I beg to differ. My TV certainly does support recording.

See http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KDL-46HX850/specifications scroll down to Special Features "USB HDD Recording = Yes" - And more to the point I can confirm that I frequently use this function...

So maybe you have the wrong TV ??
post #1950 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

I beg to differ. My TV certainly does support recording.

See http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KDL-46HX850/specifications scroll down to Special Features "USB HDD Recording = Yes" - And more to the point I can confirm that I frequently use this function...

So maybe you have the wrong TV ??

No, I have the US version and that isn't offered here. It must be a European thing. I have never heard of that. It would be great if they did that here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)