or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 68

post #2011 of 2218
Hey guys,
I just got myself one of these today (55HX850) and it's a fantastic TV, it looks stunning and is very well built.

The only problem is I'm trying to get the right picture settings and it seems I am missing some picture modes. My TV does not have the option for cinema 1 and 2 pictures modes.
This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't seem to be the two modes that everyone uses to get the perfect picture on their hx850.

Is there something wrong with my TV? Does it require a firmware update or something?
post #2012 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW View Post

Hey guys,
I just got myself one of these today (55HX850) and it's a fantastic TV, it looks stunning and is very well built.

The only problem is I'm trying to get the right picture settings and it seems I am missing some picture modes. My TV does not have the option for cinema 1 and 2 pictures modes.
This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't seem to be the two modes that everyone uses to get the perfect picture on their hx850.

Is there something wrong with my TV? Does it require a firmware update or something?

Nothing wrong with your tv, you have to change the scene to cinema, then you will have the option for cinema 1/2 and also game mode is in there.
post #2013 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Nothing wrong with your tv, you have to change the scene to cinema, then you will have the option for cinema 1/2 and also game mode is in there.
hahaha man I feel like an idiot! Thanks a lot, all good now. tongue.gif
post #2014 of 2218
Very good Aaron....you beat me to the explanation! lol
post #2015 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Nothing wrong with your tv, you have to change the scene to cinema, then you will have the option for cinema 1/2 and also game mode is in there.

Bingo.


These Sony sets are flooded with menu options; it's easy to get lost!
post #2016 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Very good Aaron....you beat me to the explanation! lol

It's easy when you have some free time biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Bingo.


These Sony sets are flooded with menu options; it's easy to get lost!

They sure are, it's overkill really.

Though every now and then I like to reset my tv to factory default and set it up from scratch, it's funny now I know where everything is but it could be daunting if it's your first setup.
post #2017 of 2218
Its funny when tv manufacturers include all the picture adjustments and so fourth when they know half of them wont be used! lol That being said the menu layout on my HX850 is pretty much the same as it was on my old HX750 and that's why it made it easy for me to set things up so fast. Watched I Am Legend and Battleship last night and again I am amazed and blown away by this tv. It has made watching Blu rays and watching Directv HD fun again. Cant wait to test out the 3D on my HX850 hopefully this weekend.

biggrin.gif
post #2018 of 2218
Can anyone help me with how to set the picture to "Full Pixel". I tried Picture Display-Screen- but could not find the Full Pixel setting.
post #2019 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE MORRILL View Post

Can anyone help me with how to set the picture to "Full Pixel". I tried Picture Display-Screen- but could not find the Full Pixel setting.

What do you have playing on the tv when you're tryting to set to full pixel? I'm pretty sure it depends on what the source is. Not everything can be set to full pixel.
post #2020 of 2218
Ok I have a question for all my fellow HX850 owner's. Do you guy's have your Full Pixel setting on during all program watching which is Satellite/Cable and Blu ray? I don't and reason is is my wife and I watch a lot of Directv programming which as everyone should no don't have 1080p full HD only 1080i and 720p reception so what's the point of having Full Pixel set to on? What I need to know is should I have it on or off for all tv watching and what benefit will I get to having it on? Thanks guy's and I hope you can help.



smile.gif
post #2021 of 2218
I found the Full Pixel setting. I found out that only 1080P sources can be set to Full Pixel . I have my cable tv running through my OPPO 103 which then transforms signal to 1080P so I have no problem in setting my Sony to Full Pixel-this setting seems to make the picture even clearer.
Edited by STEVE MORRILL - 7/20/13 at 1:30pm
post #2022 of 2218
I have a doubt for my ps3 for blurays and games. The ps3 have a deep color setting that is by default on automatic and in my old sony z5100 theres was no difference between having this setting on automatic or off. But on the hx850 the signal is displat at 1080p 12 bit when is on automatic. I clearly see a better picture in terms of clarity and constrast but the colors seem a bit off, like more bright a vivid. Also i have noticed that the changing of this setting is affecting my cable tv also. Note that i have the ps3 hooked via a yamaha rxv-573 and my dvr connected directly to the tv. When I have the deep color activated the cable tv image look a lot sharped in a good way even the sd programs but again the colors look a bit off, like in tru blood on hbo the blood doesn't look deep red but a whiter shade of red. When I set the deep color to OFF the colors return to normal but the sharpness a contrast disapear. I dont now if i should deactivate the deep color option or not because i dont know if the colors that are been display at 12 bit are acoording to the rec 709 hd color pallete. Also i would expect that the deep color option affect the ps3 images but not the cable tv' image that is connected to other hdmi input, its like the tv changes the deep color option for all hdmi inputs, its weird. I also have the live color setting of the tv set to OFF if you are wondering. Do you guys have seen this problem or not? Has anyone tested the deep color settings (auto vs. off) with a meter and (BD format) test patterns to see if it has any impact on the grayscale or gamut of the display connected to the PS3?
Edited by fegam2 - 7/20/13 at 3:10pm
post #2023 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by fegam2 View Post

I have a doubt for my ps3 for blurays and games. The ps3 have a deep color setting that is by default on automatic and in my old sony z5100 theres was no difference between having this setting on automatic or off. But on the hx850 the signal is displat at 1080p 12 bit when is on automatic. I clearly see a better picture in terms of clarity and constrast but the colors seem a bit off, like more bright a vivid. Also i have noticed that the changing of this setting is affecting my cable tv also. Note that i have the ps3 hooked via a yamaha rxv-573 and my dvr connected directly to the tv. When I have the deep color activated the cable tv image look a lot sharped in a good way even the sd programs but again the colors look a bit off, like in tru blood on hbo the blood doesn't look deep red but a whiter shade of red. When I set the deep color to OFF the colors return to normal but the sharpness a contrast disapear. I dont now if i should deactivate the deep color option or not because i dont know if the colors that are been display at 12 bit are acoording to the rec 709 hd color pallete. Also i would expect that the deep color option affect the ps3 images but not the cable tv' image that is connected to other hdmi input, its like the tv changes the deep color option for all hdmi inputs, its weird. I also have the live color setting of the tv set to OFF if you are wondering. Do you guys have seen this problem or not? Has anyone tested the deep color settings (auto vs. off) with a meter and (BD format) test patterns to see if it has any impact on the grayscale or gamut of the display connected to the PS3?


fegam I would leave deep color off. But that's just me.
post #2024 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

fegam I would leave deep color off. But that's just me.

I have tried last night some video game trailers and some recorder hd shows from my dvr and even thoug the clarity and pop of the picture is better with deep color on automatic (12 bit color) the inacurate colors is a let down when compare with the 8 bit colors (that according to all the professional reviewers are pretty damm good and close to the 6500 kelvin mark anyway). In adition I have to say that also the super white option has impact on picture if you let it ON (which was not the case with my sony z5100), you can see the whites will become whiter, and again not only with the ps3 pq but with my cable tv too. I will compare the picture with deep color off and super white On/Off to see what i like best.

I did spent some time yesterday on the web trying to find a definitive answer to the deep color question, but no suck luck. Many people said that you can leave it on automatic and it will not afffect the picture in any way but that comments were from at least 2 years ago. I know that not many tvs are capable of 12 or 16 bit color but is a shame that not so many people look into this problem with the ps3. What i did find is that many users of the hx750, hx950 and w900 are also reporting that their ps3 displays the 1080 or 720 12 bit resolution, so is clear that the sony tvs are prone to this situation and people are not aware of the problems that this bring.
post #2025 of 2218
Does anyone know whether the HX850 processes deep color and how do you turn it on?
post #2026 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE MORRILL View Post

Does anyone know whether the HX850 processes deep color and how do you turn it on?

Read my 2 last posts on this page. The tv supports deep color but the problem is that not blu-ray discs nor dvds are currently made to use deep color. For what I have read deep color has nothing to do with Color Space aka limited (16-235) or full (0-255). The numbers mean blacker than black and whiter that white colors. For most tvs the correct color space is limited, and this option is to be set on the device you use for playng movies not the tv. Movies and videos are 8 bit color wich means 8 bits for blue, green and red each. Deep color means that you have 10 or 12 or 16 bits depending or the TV, in our case the hx850 is a 12 bit color. So if you active deep color you will have 12 bits for blue, red and green each. You cannot activate deep color on the tv perse but on the device you are using to see movies and videos, so you cannot use deep color with your cable box or dvr but instead just with your bluray player (if the player suppors it of course). I use a ps3 for my movies and you have the option under the display settings to activate it or not.

Now, the real problem is that for the deep color to work properly 3 things must work together: 1. Have a tv that supports deep color (check) 2. Have a player that can output deep color (check with ps3) 3. The most important thing to have a blu-ray or dvd disc that is recorder with deep color information from the start (a here lies the problem). There are not any movies that have deep color encoded, maybe with next generation consoles and nex generation Tvs(4K) they will begin producing deep color movies.

So if you activate the deep color feature with your ps3 or any bluray player that supports it, you'll be seeing different colors indeed (they will be more saturated and color banding non existant) but the adittional colors are not encoded in the discs but created / estimated by player, hence the colors are wrong!. Iniatilly you will think when you see the picture that is beatiful but on close inspection you'll notice how bad the colors are represented and in fact a less detail picture. For example blood will not be deep red but with a litlle pinkish tone.

ATTENTION FOR PS3 USERS, BEWARE OF THIS PROBLEM: The deep color option under display settings is set to automatic by default. In our case with the hx850 the ps3 reads that the tv can output 12 bit color, so it activates the deep color funtion automatically without you knowing. The problem is that with this option enable the PQ will be lessen by the innacurate colors!. Until blurays or games comes with deep color encoded THIS OPTION MUST BE SET TO OFF. You will know if the signal from the ps3 is in deep color by hitting the display button to verify if its says 1080p/720p 12 bit. Deep color is a feature dependant of your tv, some tvs with deep color on automatic will continue to output the same image but with hx850 is not the case. I have compare video games and movies with the option on and off and you can see difference indeed. Do yourself a favor a set the option to OFF. Also turn the super white funtion On only to calibrate your tv then you must turn it Off again, because if not it will also lessen the PQ.
Edited by fegam2 - 7/22/13 at 12:27pm
post #2027 of 2218
Hi,

I bought my 55HX850 in December and have had no issues with it until now. Recently my TV would not turn on and the red led light would blink twice then repeat. Have anyone here experienced this issue before?

Thanks,

Mike
post #2028 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike23bz View Post

Hi,

I bought my 55HX850 in December and have had no issues with it until now. Recently my TV would not turn on and the red led light would blink twice then repeat. Have anyone here experienced this issue before?

Thanks,

Mike

Better give Sony a call. That's a service issue.
post #2029 of 2218
Anyone have an idea on how to return the tv back the factory settings? I don't see any button that gives me that option. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Nothing wrong with my tv I just want to do a Factory reset.
post #2030 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Anyone have an idea on how to return the tv back the factory settings? I don't see any button that gives me that option. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Nothing wrong with my tv I just want to do a Factory reset.

The reset is not indicated in the imanual but it has been the same for some years for all sony lcd and led tvs:

1. Turn on the TV.
2. Wait approximately 40 seconds for the TV to completely start up.
3. On the TV remote control, press and hold the UP ARROW button.
4. While holding the UP ARROW button, with your other hand reach around the side of the TV and press and release the POWER button on the TV set.( not the power button on the remote) it should be the top button along the side panel.
5. On the left bottom part of the tv screen you'll see the word Reset. By this time you can let go of the up arrow on the remote control
6. The tv will turn off and the turn on. The input wil go to TV and will ask you the same questions when you first turn on the hx850: languaje, home used ,etc.
7. All settings and funtions will be at factory default.
post #2031 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by fegam2 View Post

The reset is not indicated in the imanual but it has been the same for some years for all sony lcd and led tvs:

1. Turn on the TV.
2. Wait approximately 40 seconds for the TV to completely start up.
3. On the TV remote control, press and hold the UP ARROW button.
4. While holding the UP ARROW button, with your other hand reach around the side of the TV and press and release the POWER button on the TV set.( not the power button on the remote) it should be the top button along the side panel.
5. On the left bottom part of the tv screen you'll see the word Reset. By this time you can let go of the up arrow on the remote control
6. The tv will turn off and the turn on. The input wil go to TV and will ask you the same questions when you first turn on the hx850: languaje, home used ,etc.
7. All settings and funtions will be at factory default.

There is an easier way.

Press Home on the remote

Scroll right/left to Settings

Scroll up/down to System Settings and press enter

Scroll down to Seneral Set-up and press enter

Scroll down to Factory Settings and press enter

It will ask "Do you want to restore Factory Settings?" Select yes

It will then ask "Are you sure you want to reset all settings?" Select yes

The tv will then turn off and on again and initiate the boot sequence as if you have turned on for the first time.

Aaron

It appears that based on country specific menu options my guide may not work on your sets over here.
Edited by HaRd2BeAr - 7/24/13 at 5:30pm
post #2032 of 2218
Thanks, gave them a call and they are sending a repair man out to replace a circuit board. Just surprised a $2K TV would break in 6 months.
Edited by mike23bz - 7/24/13 at 12:39pm
post #2033 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by fegam2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Anyone have an idea on how to return the tv back the factory settings? I don't see any button that gives me that option. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Nothing wrong with my tv I just want to do a Factory reset.

The reset is not indicated in the imanual but it has been the same for some years for all sony lcd and led tvs:

1. Turn on the TV.
2. Wait approximately 40 seconds for the TV to completely start up.
3. On the TV remote control, press and hold the UP ARROW button.
4. While holding the UP ARROW button, with your other hand reach around the side of the TV and press and release the POWER button on the TV set.( not the power button on the remote) it should be the top button along the side panel.
5. On the left bottom part of the tv screen you'll see the word Reset. By this time you can let go of the up arrow on the remote control
6. The tv will turn off and the turn on. The input wil go to TV and will ask you the same questions when you first turn on the hx850: languaje, home used ,etc.
7. All settings and funtions will be at factory default.


This worked! Thanks fegam.
post #2034 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

This worked! Thanks fegam.

Your welcome Steve
post #2035 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike23bz View Post

Thanks, gave them a call and they are sending a repair man out to replace a circuit board. Just surprised a $2K TV would break in 6 months.


It happens Mike. At least your getting it fixed and that's the most important part.
post #2036 of 2218
My wife and I watched Mama, Sinister and Texas Chainsaw on Blu ray and damn I am shocked by the black levels and shadow detail my HX850 display's not to mention the color detail is off the charts. This is going down as one of the best TV's I have ever owned. Its to damn bad I didn't buy it a year ago. Watching regular HD programming is awesome but watching Blu's? All I can say is its out of this world! This tv is going to be with me for a long long time that is until it burns itself out or Sony comes out with OLED. Netflix streaming looks pretty damn good as well.
post #2037 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

My wife and I watched Mama, Sinister and Texas Chainsaw on Blu ray and damn I am shocked by the black levels and shadow detail my HX850 display's not to mention the color detail is off the charts. This is going down as one of the best TV's I have ever owned. Its to damn bad I didn't buy it a year ago. Watching regular HD programming is awesome but watching Blu's? All I can say is its out of this world! This tv is going to be with me for a long long time that is until it burns itself out or Sony comes out with OLED. Netflix streaming looks pretty damn good as well.

That's awesome you are enjoying it, I see you guys were having Terror movie nights! biggrin.gif
post #2038 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

My wife and I watched Mama, Sinister and Texas Chainsaw on Blu ray and damn I am shocked by the black levels and shadow detail my HX850 display's not to mention the color detail is off the charts. This is going down as one of the best TV's I have ever owned. Its to damn bad I didn't buy it a year ago. Watching regular HD programming is awesome but watching Blu's? All I can say is its out of this world! This tv is going to be with me for a long long time that is until it burns itself out or Sony comes out with OLED. Netflix streaming looks pretty damn good as well.

My last sony tv was a 46 z5100 and it was a good tv but the hx850 is a excelent tv, from the deep blacks to its near perfect color gammut and grreat shadow detail. Panasonic plasmas are superior no doubt about it but they are not good for brightly lit rooms like mine is. This sony is one the best LED tv out there. The next model the HX950 was more expensive and the PQ was just marginally better. The current sony LED is the W900 but for what i read the PQ is more or less in the same ballpark of the HX850 and the viewing angles are worst that the 850's. So like you I plan to stick with this tv for a few years until OLED tvs are more mainstream, they will be expensive but not $15,000 like the ones samsumg and LG just release, maybe a few years from now theu will be 2,000 - 3,000 bucks. I think OLED is the future of television not 4k tvs. I prefer a 1080p oled tv that a 4k led tv.
post #2039 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

My wife and I watched Mama, Sinister and Texas Chainsaw on Blu ray and damn I am shocked by the black levels and shadow detail my HX850 display's not to mention the color detail is off the charts. This is going down as one of the best TV's I have ever owned. Its to damn bad I didn't buy it a year ago. Watching regular HD programming is awesome but watching Blu's? All I can say is its out of this world! This tv is going to be with me for a long long time that is until it burns itself out or Sony comes out with OLED. Netflix streaming looks pretty damn good as well.

That's awesome you are enjoying it, I see you guys were having Terror movie nights! biggrin.gif


Yea we were Latino. I also forgot to say we watched Cabin In The Woods and the new Evil Dead as well. Now that's what I do call Terror Movie Nights. We love horror movies. biggrin.gif
post #2040 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by fegam2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

My wife and I watched Mama, Sinister and Texas Chainsaw on Blu ray and damn I am shocked by the black levels and shadow detail my HX850 display's not to mention the color detail is off the charts. This is going down as one of the best TV's I have ever owned. Its to damn bad I didn't buy it a year ago. Watching regular HD programming is awesome but watching Blu's? All I can say is its out of this world! This tv is going to be with me for a long long time that is until it burns itself out or Sony comes out with OLED. Netflix streaming looks pretty damn good as well.

My last sony tv was a 46 z5100 and it was a good tv but the hx850 is a excelent tv, from the deep blacks to its near perfect color gammut and grreat shadow detail. Panasonic plasmas are superior no doubt about it but they are not good for brightly lit rooms like mine is. This sony is one the best LED tv out there. The next model the HX950 was more expensive and the PQ was just marginally better. The current sony LED is the W900 but for what i read the PQ is more or less in the same ballpark of the HX850 and the viewing angles are worst that the 850's. So like you I plan to stick with this tv for a few years until OLED tvs are more mainstream, they will be expensive but not $15,000 like the ones samsumg and LG just release, maybe a few years from now theu will be 2,000 - 3,000 bucks. I think OLED is the future of television not 4k tvs. I prefer a 1080p oled tv that a 4k led tv.



I agree with you about the HX850 being the best LED TV out there still today. The HX950 was marginally better because it was full array LED but otherwise the HX850 and 950 pretty much were identicle. As for the W900? Its the replacement for the HX850 and from what I read the off axis angles are not that good and the black levels aren't as good as the HX850's. And lastly I am going to wait for OLED as well and it might be awhile until it gets mainstream but I can wait because with my HX850 I am more then happy until OLED is in full swing and affordable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)