or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850) - Page 3

post #61 of 2218
Nice comments and pictures.Would you take more pictures,especially including black levels at night time.Thanks...
post #62 of 2218
I got my 55HX850 a couple weeks ago and I love it. I am replacing a Sony 46XBR4. The picture on the new tv is a lot brighter. Glad to hear all the good reviews as it was a tough decision on which tv to purchase. I went to a Best Buy store that was not Magnolia and had them order one for me and they had it in about 3 days.
post #63 of 2218
I saw a few comments about settings I used a combination of Settings from the NX720 thread and the XBR929 thread. I am still tweaking and will post my settings later.
post #64 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

Sure here you go. Its funny the 820's standard back-light is at 7 and the 850 back-lights shipped at 6 and I still have to turn it down to 5. It is brighter.

nice pics. can you please take a photo of the set with a letter box movie on.
post #65 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

So far I am still loving this TV, but there is indeed flashlighting and some banding. If you leave dynamic LED on, then the flashlighting is minimal and hidden. But if you turn it off, you will see what I mean. The banding is also very minor and since the screen is much brighter (than my EX720), you can't really see it.

Lately I have been playing video games with the XReality and Motionflow ON, and it's pretty cool. I don't detect much input lag, and the picture is phenomenal. Normally I do not like post-processing, but the Xreality adds a nice punch to the picture, and the 940hz motionflow almost looks like a plasma or my old CRT Sony HDTV.

Glowing Sony Logo... Jesus H Christ...

So at least its not showing artifacts & ruining gamma by using D-E-L. like the hx750,thats good. Man your really hung up on that logo. I have no trouble admitting they always added a bit of style to sonys xbr & top end sets,but it has a simple on/off feature.
post #66 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

0 flashlighting

Pre-calibrated edge-LED sets have flashlighting,wether its obvious or slight.Its a common trait of the LED edge lighting tech since their introduction.

Just par for the course & if you can eliminate most of it,esp. on black bars,good,& yes ive seen it on a 46" one in my electrical a/v store on both bottom corners,but it was very slight,but it is there. Nice tv too.
post #67 of 2218
Would a similarily sized hx929 still be a better tv overall, even though it's got a year old tech?
post #68 of 2218
Newb here...is the hx850 the replacemet of the hx929? Also, is it available in 65in? Thanks.
post #69 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffstik View Post

Newb here...is the hx850 the replacemet of the hx929? Also, is it available in 65in? Thanks.

No, not the replacement for the HX929, that will be continued this year, no replacement HX95 announced.

The HX850 will have some features the HX929 wont have however but it is edge lit as apposed to the full led backlighting of the HX929.

Aaron
post #70 of 2218
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffstik View Post

Newb here...is the hx850 the replacemet of the hx929? Also, is it available in 65in? Thanks.

and no it wont be available in 65in
post #71 of 2218
HX929's replacement the HX950 is due out September-November
post #72 of 2218
Hey guys I'm wondering in 55hx850 series which panel used ? S pva or sharp panel ?
post #73 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

Well the new set came today. I'll live with-out the logo. Also the camera and sensor in front witch controlled I don't know what,has been deleted. I turned that crap off any whey.But it doesn't matter too me. No kids for that. The stand is not as nice of a finish. Its plastic now vs metal on the 820. But its more sturdy now. No wobbles. I did keep the 820 stand if I feel like switching. Got a extra from Sony. And the remote for the 850 is cheaper, but has a button for the Sony Entertainment Network. On the 820 remote there is no way of getting to that app. Buts it lights up and control the sat and all other components.

Dude, it was never about the LOGO illumination.

It's just that this is a LUXURY model, and they are taking out things from it!

You say you dont mind them taking out sensors and cameras, nor the logo, but you were paying for it! They are cashing out on you. You'd have more for less with the 820. Even the remote control is horrible. It doesn't even belongs to a HX/XBR class. It's worst even than the BD control remote. People even say things about the corning gorilla glass not being as resistent as before.

Seriously? Thank God I have my 820.

I am just making a point that they are cutting costs... ON US!!!

Just wonder what 2013 line will be like with a 40% cut of models...

What will be left???

And seriously, don't talk back at me mentioning Samsung. In fact, Samsung and others did the same thing with the logo BECAUSE of Sony, and now Sony turns its back on this thing.

About the sensors; so what makes it better than the EX model? The Panel? The processors? The glass in front of it?

Soon there will be no extra features.

I am sorry but the sensors were important and I actually use them. Whenever I am out of the room the tv shuts down by itself. I also think it adjust the light of the screen depending on my room lighting and even the sound floats around WITH ME when I walk around the room, so don't tell me they are not important...
post #74 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

Here you go. No-Backlight Bleeding or Flashlights.

Backlght bleeding & flashlighting are one in the same.You show 2 pics,both wide/fullsceen which wont show any clouding anyway.If i saw any bleeding on 2 pics like them,from that distance,i would send my hx820 straight back or any tv for that matter.Granted they are good pictures.Sony have hit a peak concerning uneven backlight,edge-LED at that.Now the others will follow as usual.

But its not going to be the case with everybody,ive seen this awesome set in the flesh & there was minor flashlighting in both corners ala hx820,but its nothing to get upset about,its the way of edge-LED & sony have done a good job disguising it for the past few mths.Maybe you are one of the lucky ones as gregck & Bitterkevin recieve their sets & tell us there are minor issues like corner bleed/flashlighting but its a good bit better regarding clouding...

The euro speakerstand comes with the tv,prob at a higher price though,but it looks awesome & id hate to be hanging it,then putting that soundstand back in the box,oh the thoughts...seriously though i would buy a new A/V stand for it.
post #75 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsony1 View Post

Dude, it was never about the LOGO illumination.

It's just that this is a LUXURY model, and they are taking out things from it!

You say you dont mind them taking out sensors and cameras, nor the logo, but you were paying for it! They are cashing out on you. You'd have more for less with the 820. Even the remote control is horrible. It doesn't even belongs to a HX/XBR class. It's worst even than the BD control remote. People even say things about the corning gorilla glass not being as resistent as before.

Seriously? Thank God I have my 820.

I am just making a point that they are cutting costs... ON US!!!

Just wonder what 2013 line will be like with a 40% cut of models...

What will be left???

And seriously, don't talk back at me mentioning Samsung. In fact, Samsung and others did the same thing with the logo BECAUSE of Sony, and now Sony turns its back on this thing.

About the sensors; so what makes it better than the EX model? The Panel? The processors? The glass in front of it?

Soon there will be no extra features.

I am sorry but the sensors were important and I actually use them. Whenever I am out of the room the tv shuts down by itself. I also think it adjust the light of the screen depending on my room lighting and even the sound floats around WITH ME when I walk around the room, so don't tell me they are not important...

Theres a hx950 due before the end of the year,im sure all your fears about the illuminated logo & high-end luxury will be addressed at a price of about $3500!!Its expected to be revealed at IFA 2012,But i have a feeling there is a surprise in store with this model. Do not worry mate,sony are still going to have XBR quality models,thats what makes me think this hx950 will have something new regarding backlighting,time will tell.
post #76 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by maladjusted View Post

Backlght bleeding & flashlighting are one in the same.You show 2 pics,both wide/fullsceen which wont show any clouding anyway.

those two pics is with letterbox. look at the showtime logo down right.
post #77 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

Here you go. No-Backlight Bleeding or Flashlights.

thanks dude
post #78 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat_strandh View Post

those two pics is with letterbox. look at the showtime logo down right.

yeah,widescreen full 16:9 in letterbox mode. I could have shown pictures like them with pure black borders on any of the bravias ive had,even the ones with backlight issues & not show any bleeding.You need to show a blank screen with dynamic edge-LED switched off to have a bearing in the real world.

I switch DEL on & I dont get any flashlighting/clouding worth mentioning.Yeah,ive said they were good pics...
post #79 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat_strandh View Post

those two pics is with letterbox. look at the showtime logo down right.

Do you have a 2010/11 bravia with picture settings UI?
post #80 of 2218
post #81 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by maladjusted View Post

The euro speakerstand comes with the tv,prob at a higher price though,but it looks awesome & id hate to be hanging it,then putting that soundstand back in the box,oh the thoughts...seriously though i would buy a new A/V stand for it.

If i get a HX853 its going on the wall.
post #82 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsony1 View Post

Dude, it was never about the LOGO illumination.

It's just that this is a LUXURY model, and they are taking out things from it!

You say you dont mind them taking out sensors and cameras, nor the logo, but you were paying for it! They are cashing out on you. You'd have more for less with the 820. Even the remote control is horrible. It doesn't even belongs to a HX/XBR class. It's worst even than the BD control remote. People even say things about the corning gorilla glass not being as resistent as before.

Seriously? Thank God I have my 820.

I am just making a point that they are cutting costs... ON US!!!

Just wonder what 2013 line will be like with a 40% cut of models...

What will be left???

And seriously, don't talk back at me mentioning Samsung. In fact, Samsung and others did the same thing with the logo BECAUSE of Sony, and now Sony turns its back on this thing.

About the sensors; so what makes it better than the EX model? The Panel? The processors? The glass in front of it?

Soon there will be no extra features.

I am sorry but the sensors were important and I actually use them. Whenever I am out of the room the tv shuts down by itself. I also think it adjust the light of the screen depending on my room lighting and even the sound floats around WITH ME when I walk around the room, so don't tell me they are not important...

You are just coming a across as a troll now.

I couldn't use the presence sensor as i have a seat slightly out of range so it would turn the tv off mid program.

As for the ambient light sensor that adjusts the backlight depending on the light in the room, anyone who knows anything about settings and picture quality turned that off as it also messed with brightness and colour.

Seriously be happy with your HX820 in the owners thread and stop trying to ruin others enjoyment.

Aaron
post #83 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by baryburton View Post

Another Review...

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1336720019

too bad he calibrated the TV with LED dynamic control OFF. it should be STANDARD.

but 0.06 with local dimming off is pretty good for a LED LCD
post #84 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 View Post

Thanks Brother.

No problem, it needed to be said.

Aaron
post #85 of 2218
Quote:


too bad he calibrated the TV with LED dynamic control OFF. it should be STANDARD.

but 0.06 with local dimming off is pretty good for a LED LCD

Very strange case.I asked to writer why led dynamic control off.If this black level measurement while local dimming off. then this result is amazing...
post #86 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by baryburton View Post

Very strange case.I asked to writer why led dynamic control off.If this black level measurement while local dimming off. then this result is amazing...

I know that does make any sense, just put it on low if he thinks it crushes the blacks, which it does. The 3-d i am not suprised is terrible, but overall this seems to be a much better tv than the es8000. It is much sleeker looking tv with seemingly a more uniform and better 2-d picture in hd.
post #87 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by baryburton View Post

Very strange case.I asked to writer why led dynamic control off.If this black level measurement while local dimming off. then this result is amazing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 View Post

I know that does make any sense, just put it on low if he thinks it crushes the blacks, which it does. The 3-d i am not suprised is terrible, but overall this seems to be a much better tv than the es8000. It is much sleeker looking tv with seemingly a more uniform and better 2-d picture in hd.

Quote from Avforums reviewer regarding Led Dynamic Control.

Quote:


You have to really calibrate with LED dimming controls off else they make a mess of the patterns in terms of accurate readings

Me - I found that with LED Dynamic Control on it really affected things like Brightness etc on my HX823.

Bit surprising they didn't do various black level measurements with it set off, low and standard though. But if they tested it with it Off then that does possibly bowed well. Pretty excited about seeing one in person now.

Quote:


Yes Aaron, that's one of the reasons you can't really effectively calibrate with them on. They tend to cause high end gamma spikes too as well as black crush, although that doesn't always show up with patterns.

Aaron
post #88 of 2218
On that review not only does he not turn on the led, he puts sharpness on 50? Do the people that have this put that high?I always keep sharpness at 0.
post #89 of 2218
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 View Post

On that review not only does he not turn on the led, he puts sharpness on 50? Do the people that have this put that high?I always keep sharpness at 0.

I think 50 on this set is equal to 0
post #90 of 2218
There IS flashlighting/clouding. Jeff probably has Dynamic LED on. If you turn it off, and look at a black screen, you will see the flashlighting is pretty bad. Turning Dynamic LED on makes it virtually disappear, however, and I have not noticed any reason to turn Dynamic LED off. Usually I hate auto-adjust stuff, but this works fast enough that it is not noticable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX850 Owner's Thread (46HX850, 55HX850)