or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Brightest tv
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brightest tv

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'll try this question another way.

I am looking for the brightest TV possible, smart tv, 3D, etc are not needed.

Thanks,
Jim
post #2 of 16
All LED tv's are ridiculously bright at full brightness.
post #3 of 16
^+1

U mean sumbody confused your question with how feature-rich is the TV?
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeller View Post

I'll try this question another way.

I am looking for the brightest TV possible, smart tv, 3D, etc are not needed.

Thanks,
Jim

any modern CCFL-LCD or LED-LCD can do this, just leave it in torch mode and put on some sunglasses
post #5 of 16
Go with Plasma, they are the best in direct sunlight and bright rooms. LCD is only good in dark environments, so I would not recommend them at all for bright environments.

I think.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

Go with Plasma, they are the best in direct sunlight and bright rooms. LCD is only good in dark environments, so I would not recommend them at all for bright environments.

I think.

You have that backwards. LCD/LED bright rooms and Plasma for dark rooms, the one thing to remember about bright rooms is you will need a matte screen to reduce reflections.
post #7 of 16
LG 32CS460 32" LCD is the brightest TV I've found so far.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

any modern CCFL-LCD or LED-LCD can do this, just leave it in torch mode and put on some sunglasses

This is what I was after. I am using this TV outside on my deck so the only thing I care about is brightness for watching during a sunny day. I currently using a 2010 model samsung (LN46C530). I assume its CCFL lit. I was wondering if the LED lit tv's were any brighter, it sounds like there wont be much of a difference.

Thanks,

Jim
post #9 of 16
I hear the new MENSA TVs are very bright AND very smart.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeller View Post

This is what I was after. I am using this TV outside on my deck so the only thing I care about is brightness for watching during a sunny day. I currently using a 2010 model samsung (LN46C530). I assume its CCFL lit. I was wondering if the LED lit tv's were any brighter, it sounds like there wont be much of a difference.

Thanks,

Jim

Slight difference: this website actually measures and compares peak brightness on various models (in their reviews).

http://www.televisioninfo.com/

Look under Blacks & Whites for older reviews and Performance and then Picture Quality for the most recent.
post #11 of 16
A 3DTV may have a higher maximum brightness level, although it may only kick in when in 3D i guess. Careful with the brightness measurements. I most reviews, they seem to measure calibrated brightness, not maximum. One stat that seems to be frequently listed is cd/m2. The Phillip 9000 series, or one of them has 500 cd/m2. The average is somewhere around 350-400 i think.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeller View Post

This is what I was after. I am using this TV outside on my deck so the only thing I care about is brightness for watching during a sunny day. I currently using a 2010 model samsung (LN46C530). I assume its CCFL lit. I was wondering if the LED lit tv's were any brighter, it sounds like there wont be much of a difference.

Thanks,

Jim

go for a matte screen as well

LED-LCDs might be brighter than CCFL-LCDs in most cases, but I don't know for sure and by how much.
post #13 of 16
In a big box store, you can usually find a spot at a considerable distance from the display of tv sets. It is easy at this distance to pick out the brightest. I have always found the plasma sets darker than any of the LCD / LED sets. By the same token it is, also, easy to select the brightest among the latter type.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yes I think a matte screen is a must being outdoors. I was looking at the vizio 47" fully array LED but they still have the large bezels and it wont fit into the box I have. It also was rated at 500 cd/m2(by vizio).

Not in a hurry so I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Jim

edit: seems the vizio 47" full array has disappeared from the website, it was there last night
post #15 of 16
Sony Professional used to make a 13" Water Cooled CRT monitor for use in direct sunlight as I recall. I think they were around $10,000 and for that price probably were pretty bright...
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Well it looks like I should just stick with what I have. Researching on the website that Pirates Cove linked the TV I have is one of the brightest available. Significanty brighter/better contrast ratio that the Samsung LED's and slightly better than the sony xbr.

Thanks everyone,

Jim
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Brightest tv