or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 20

post #571 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I have a Darbee, I will hook it up and use Suzook setting on a blu-ray and take some pics. Haven't hooked up the Darbee since I wanted to see how it looked with out it.

I'll bet you will be very happy when you do all that!
post #572 of 1357
That Darbee thing is used from what I read only to add more sharpness to the image? If so, how does it behave differently from a projector/HDTV own sharpness settings? Doesn't it add unwanted artificial edges that could easily be seen using sharpness pattern as it would be the case with the 90's own sharpness settings?
Edited by dhan - 11/10/12 at 8:33am
post #573 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I have a Darbee, I will hook it up and use Suzook setting on a blu-ray and take some pics. Haven't hooked up the Darbee since I wanted to see how it looked with out it.

I would like to see if there is a big difference with the Darbee - I see a lot of glowing reviews online but it seems logical that this is more or less display related and with the newer TV's, the sharpness processing may have improved so that the Darbee doesn't make much difference.
post #574 of 1357
Thread Starter 
The guys on the 80" 844 thread have returned their Darbees soon after getting them , SuZook returned his after 24 hours said it didn't really change any thing on both his 844 & 632 80"ers Airgas reported that he could only tell a difference in a static image & on a moving fluid image he couldn't tell a difference at all . rolleyes.gif
post #575 of 1357
I'm only going by the many reviews that are positive, from owners with different kinds of displays. I have not seen one in person, just pictures that users have posted, where there is a perceptible difference. It's true, though, that I've only seen static images.

Still, quite a number of people, including seasoned reviewers, seem to notice an improvement, including some with video processors that are quite a bit more expensive.

I believe it is not an edge sharpener, but a method of enhancing depth cues in the picture.

Since dreaux has one already, it will be interesting to see his reaction. From what I've read, most people like the processing turned up to 40%. In any event, the Darblet needs to be adjusted, not simply used at full on, from what I've read.
Edited by taichi4 - 11/10/12 at 7:53am
post #576 of 1357
Well for me on both my 632 and 844 it produced unfavorable resukta at any setting. But then again what do I know
post #577 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Well for me on both my 632 and 844 it produced unfavorable resukta at any setting. But then again what do I know

I'm sure you know quite a bit.

The Darblet thread on AVS is quite long, and there is a lot of adjustment and experimentation going on. One thing I just read on that thread is one experienced user's advice not to use the Darblet with Deep Color on.

I must have thought you knew what you were talking about in general, or I wouldn't have recommended that people look at your settings!
post #578 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I'm only going by the many reviews that are positive, from owners with different kinds of displays. I have not seen one in person, just pictures that users have posted, where there is a perceptible difference. It's true, though, that I've only seen static images.
Still, quite a number of people, including seasoned reviewers, seem to notice an improvement, including some with video processors that are quite a bit more expensive.
I believe it is not an edge sharpener, but a method of enhancing depth cues in the picture.
Since dreaux has one already, it will be interesting to see his reaction. From what I've read, most people like the processing turned up to 40%. In any event, the Darblet needs to be adjusted, not simply used at full on, from what I've read.

True it is not a sharpener. Even if you raise it over 100% I really don't see any artifacts. I used it with my Elite and really didn't see all that much difference but I believe that was because the picture was excellent to begin with.
I have it on the 90" at a range of 40 to 70% and have sort of settled on 55%. That seems to be a good setting. I do see a difference on the 90" with edge enhancement and a bit of a sharpener but still no artifacts, it not really like the 'Sharpen' on the unit settings. With that I do see a bit of artifacts and glowing edges (haloing).

Is it worth $260? I'm not sure I would miss it but if you want to get the max out of your picture it will probably work for you. I wouldn't be surprised if it is build into new TV's in the future. It seems to work best on regular HD programing...on Blu-ray there is a slight improvement.

"DARBEE™ DVP™ technology embeds monoscopic depth cues and details in an image by modulating the local pixel luminance according to our underlying patented method. DARBEE™ DVP™ can accept any color input or bit depth and will output the same. We never change the color vector, however if needed we adjust the saturation as we track the chroma. Using an advanced and patented form of image stacking technology, we do not perform temporal base processing so our memory needs are minimal. Our processing is strictly intra-frame and is therefore very fast. DARBEE™ DVP™ technology also includes our own advanced, very fast saliency map. Our saliency map allows for 100% automatic processing of only those parts of the image that are worthy of attention, without processing the grainy or noisy areas of the image. Truly all of the good and none of the bad.
A DarbeeVision Darblet that takes HDMI video experience to new heights.
Performance = 1080pHD/60 in real time.
An HDMI accessory that will add intense depth and clarity to any video -- enabling ultra-immersive visuals. As a video processor module in a small housing, DarbeeVision technology simply plugs into any HDMI media device and will enhance the output of any video stream, like DVD, Blu-ray, smart phone, and media players and any digital broadcast -- on both standard and high-definition TVs. "
post #579 of 1357
Glad it improves your picture. Did you try it with Deep Color off as suggested on the Darblet thread?

I think you're right about it being incorporated in future TVs and DVD/BluRay players. The inventor himself anticipates this.

Have you tried Suzook's settings?

90 inches with that much light output must be great.
Edited by taichi4 - 11/10/12 at 7:30pm
post #580 of 1357
Dreaux - I'm interested to know why you use the Edge on the Elite or your intention to use it with this display. I thought the DVDO harmed or added EE to the picture. Thanks!!
post #581 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Glad it improves your picture. Did you try it with Deep Color off as suggested on the Darblet thread?
I think you're right about it being incorporated in future TVs and DVD/BluRay players. The inventor himself anticipates this.
Have you tried Suzook's settings?
90 inches with that much light output must be great.

I am using Suzooks setting for the 'movie' mode which I use for Blu-ray viewing. Not sure where I can turn off Deep Cool other than on my Blu-ray player.

Yeah lot of light coming out. It lights the room. Watched a movie Friday night with my girlfriend and she had no clue it was a different TV.....I don't think most women even notice such things.
Edited by dreaux - 11/11/12 at 10:17am
post #582 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post

Dreaux - I'm interested to know why you use the Edge on the Elite or your intention to use it with this display. I thought the DVDO harmed or added EE to the picture. Thanks!!

Not using the Dvdo Edge now. It messes with my 3D viewing, I sometimes get a pink or blank screen when having the Edge in the video chain, even on its default settings. I have to see if I have some settings wrong on the Edge.
I was only using it for Edge enhancement and sharpness enhancement....but really don't see much of difference. I have it on 25 out of 100. I do have off Deep color off.
post #583 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

...Not sure where I can turn off Deep Cool other than on my Blu-ray player.

Yeah lot of light coming out. It lights the room. Watched a movie Friday night with my girlfriend and she had no clue it was a different TV.....I don't think most women even notice such things.

Yeah...turning off Deep Color on the BluRay player should do it. Apparently the display is "compatible" with Deep Color if the source outputs it.

You mean your girlfriend didn't notice that you jumped from 70 inches to 90 inches!! eek.gif
post #584 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Way too dim I am afraid.
Those settings look very close to mine for the 80-632U except for the contrast. I have that at +30. Any higher than that and you start to crush the whites. I'm curious if this setting is comparable to the 90" set.
post #585 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I plugged in these settings to my "Movie' settings and it truly looks calibrated. Not sure of one setting which is 'Range of OPC' NA. There are settings there so don't understand NA unless it is to remain untouched.
It looks exactly the way my Elite looked on ISF day.
Works perfectly for a 'Movie' setting which I will use for Blu-ray viewing.
With the 'OPC Off' it doesn't matter what the OPC range is. If you left the 'OPC On' then it would set the maximum and minimum brightness adjustment allowed for ambient light variation.
post #586 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Yeah...turning off Deep Color on the BluRay player should do it. Apparently the display is "compatible" with Deep Color if the source outputs it.
You mean your girlfriend didn't notice that you jumped from 70 inches to 90 inches!! eek.gif

No she didn't, and I told her I had a different set and she said ....what's different? I just said never mind.
post #587 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

No she didn't, and I told her I had a different set and she said ....what's different? I just said never mind.

She would have noticed if it had been a hat. rolleyes.gif
post #588 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

She would have noticed if it had been a hat. rolleyes.gif

Or a re-upholstered couch.
post #589 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Or a re-upholstered couch.

biggrin.gif!!!
post #590 of 1357
I would like to know how many of you get the extend warranty for this TV. What are the chance that you will use this warranty?

I thinking whether or not to opt for the extend warranty. Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #591 of 1357
Well, I don't own one of these 90 inch Sharps, but as a fan of large displays the only upgrade I will make from my 65 inch will be something like the Sharp, something at least 90 inches.

I always buy extended warranties and have never regretted it once. Some consumer advice articles argue against them, but based on my experience I must disagree. Repairing one big technical malfunction will easily exceed the price of a warranty. Some will say the chances are slim for such a malfunction...so essentially you are gambling either way. I gamble for more protection.
post #592 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I always buy extended warranties and have never regretted it once. Some consumer advice articles argue against them, but based on my experience I must disagree. Repairing one big technical malfunction will easily exceed the price of a warranty. Some will say the chances are slim for such a malfunction...so essentially you are gambling either way. I gamble for more protection.

I agree. For big TV's such as the 90 it is worth it. For smaller inexpensive tv's, most likely not since you can easily replace it with that warranty money.

In this case, the price for replacement (another new 90 inch) is way way way past the price of the warranty ( a few hundred bucks).. smile.gif

Plus, it gives you some comfort in case something happens in the future .. just like why you have any insurance (life, house, car, etc.) where the warranty price is very low compared to the replacement cost of the actual item.. smile.gif
post #593 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I agree. For big TV's such as the 90 it is worth it. For smaller inexpensive tv's, most likely not since you can easily replace it with that warranty money.
In this case, the price for replacement (another new 90 inch) is way way way past the price of the warranty ( a few hundred bucks).. smile.gif

Absolutely agree that for inexpensive TVs it's not so important.

But the 90" Sharp is a gem and an investment.
post #594 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Well, I don't own one of these 90 inch Sharps, but as a fan of large displays the only upgrade I will make from my 65 inch will be something like the Sharp, something at least 90 inches.
I always buy extended warranties and have never regretted it once. Some consumer advice articles argue against them, but based on my experience I must disagree. Repairing one big technical malfunction will easily exceed the price of a warranty. Some will say the chances are slim for such a malfunction...so essentially you are gambling either way. I gamble for more protection.

I totally agree. This is a big investment and not spending a few hundred bucks to safe guard it if not a good idea in my opinion.
In fact I am getting it tomorrow. I want to know if something goes wrong I will be able to get it fixed or replaced ( in house). I called Sharp and their price was the same as BB. But I think I will go with BB since they just send me $250 from the reward zone (from buying the TV) I will apply it to the cost of the extended warranty. If you buy from BB make sure to sign up for a rewards card.
Edited by dreaux - 11/13/12 at 10:05am
post #595 of 1357
Thanks for your input and well said. I will definitely opt for the extended warranty then.

Anyone of you hear about Costco "Squaretrade 3 Year TV Warranty " and it is only $99.99
post #596 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom88 View Post

Thanks for your input and well said. I will definitely opt for the extended warranty then.
Anyone of you hear about Costco "Squaretrade 3 Year TV Warranty " and it is only $99.99

I can't remember exactly, but I believe there is a maximum amount they will pay out. I think it was maybe $4-5K, so something to think about on a $9K set.
post #597 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

I can't remember exactly, but I believe there is a maximum amount they will pay out. I think it was maybe $4-5K, so something to think about on a $9K set.

Yes, read the fine print.. Sometime back I was reading within the sharp elite thread and they were discussing the CostCo warranty and since the price of the sharp 70 inch elite was beyond the price of any unit the warranty would have covered, they all concluded to not take it..

(if I remember correctly).. smile.gif
post #598 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom88 View Post

Thanks for your input and well said. I will definitely opt for the extended warranty then.
Anyone of you hear about Costco "Squaretrade 3 Year TV Warranty " and it is only $99.99

Full warranties amounts are determined but the value of the item you are buying. The higher the price of the set, the more the cost of the warranty. The warranty on the 90" is not cheap as I just found out.
Fortunately BB gave me back $250 in reward zone money so I applied that to their protection plan.

Not sure what $99 would cover.
post #599 of 1357
I think somebody that actually owns one of these sets should call Squaretrade directly.

Sometime back, when I was considering a DLP, they had many options which may be different than what is offered through the agency of Costco.

When I called I was offered a choice of insuring the item for the full retail price, or for replacement value. They certainly had an option for a $5000 set, which is more than one another poster mentioned as maximum insurable value. One configuration was 524.99 for a 4 year warranty on a set worth 4999.00.
post #600 of 1357
Square Trade Warranty: I just read the Costco big print, and the link to the fine print. They keep saying the purchase price of the tv. There is no limit mentioned on either page. Here is the link to the big print and the fine print, if that is allowed.
http://www.costco.com/.product.11680336.html
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/misc/pdf/575685.PDF

Sounds too good to be true, I personally wouldn't believe it except that it's from Costco, and they probably will stand behind it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d