or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 25

post #721 of 1357
So I went to Abt yesterday to have an extended viewing session in front of the Sharp. After playing around with the settings for a bit, I sat down and watched a Comcast cable feed for about 30 minutes. This is what I will be watching most of the time at home, so I wanted to see what it was like in comparison to what I'm used to. While the picture was quite good, I do feel that the sheer size of the set magnifies the compression artifacts from the Comcast signal. I think it's something I could get used to, but it was a bit disconcerting. I also spent a lot of time with the 75" Sammy. I have to say, the Sammy has a much better picture, and it's making me think twice about the Sharp. I love the extra 15" that you get with the Sharp, but it's definitely a trade-off in terms of picture quality. I wish Sharp made an 80 inch version of the Elite. To me, that would be a perfect set. I've considered just saving some money and going with the 80" 844, but I just don't think the picture is all that good compared to the best panels.

On a side note, they did have both the Sony and the LG 4K sets on display. All I can say is, Wow! smile.gif
post #722 of 1357
Maybe the upcoming Sharp 80" XL9 will be a good choice for you!....
post #723 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Maybe the upcoming Sharp 80" XL9 will be a good choice for you!....

Tell me more. I'm intrigued! smile.gif
post #724 of 1357
post #725 of 1357

Thanks for the link! That new anti-glare coating sounds interesting. I wonder if the new sets will be improved in any other ways.
post #726 of 1357
I guess we'll read about that in the next few weeks...
post #727 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

So I went to Abt yesterday to have an extended viewing session in front of the Sharp. After playing around with the settings for a bit, I sat down and watched a Comcast cable feed for about 30 minutes. This is what I will be watching most of the time at home, so I wanted to see what it was like in comparison to what I'm used to. While the picture was quite good, I do feel that the sheer size of the set magnifies the compression artifacts from the Comcast signal. I think it's something I could get used to, but it was a bit disconcerting. I also spent a lot of time with the 75" Sammy. I have to say, the Sammy has a much better picture, and it's making me think twice about the Sharp. I love the extra 15" that you get with the Sharp, but it's definitely a trade-off in terms of picture quality. I wish Sharp made an 80 inch version of the Elite. To me, that would be a perfect set. I've considered just saving some money and going with the 80" 844, but I just don't think the picture is all that good compared to the best panels.
On a side note, they did have both the Sony and the LG 4K sets on display. All I can say is, Wow! smile.gif

Next time you visit ABT, ask the sales rep for the remote and change the setting to Dynamic (fixed) by pressing the AV MODE (above the Volume button) on the remote until you see Dynamic (fixed). I did the same when I was at Trutone when comparing with Samsung 75" ES9000 and immediately Sharp 90" is the final choice.
post #728 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom88 View Post

In comparing the two, I would say the black level on the Sharp is much better than the Qualia. You will be happy with the 90" Sharp PQ if you set the AV mode to either Dynamic or Dynamic (fixed).
Don't forget to wear sun glasses and sunscreen. LOL biggrin.gif
I find those Dynamic settings are only good for showrooms where you want to make an temporary impact and stand out from the crowd.
post #729 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

So I went to Abt yesterday to have an extended viewing session in front of the Sharp. After playing around with the settings for a bit, I sat down and watched a Comcast cable feed for about 30 minutes. This is what I will be watching most of the time at home, so I wanted to see what it was like in comparison to what I'm used to. While the picture was quite good, I do feel that the sheer size of the set magnifies the compression artifacts from the Comcast signal. I think it's something I could get used to, but it was a bit disconcerting. I also spent a lot of time with the 75" Sammy. I have to say, the Sammy has a much better picture, and it's making me think twice about the Sharp. I love the extra 15" that you get with the Sharp, but it's definitely a trade-off in terms of picture quality. I wish Sharp made an 80 inch version of the Elite. To me, that would be a perfect set. I've considered just saving some money and going with the 80" 844, but I just don't think the picture is all that good compared to the best panels.
On a side note, they did have both the Sony and the LG 4K sets on display. All I can say is, Wow! smile.gif

Were the Sony and LG sets running 4K content or regular 1080 content? I am assuming both were running 4K off a hard drive? Curious to see what they can do with regular HD source.
post #730 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

Don't forget to wear sun glasses and sunscreen. LOL biggrin.gif
I find those Dynamic settings are only good for showrooms where you want to make an temporary impact and stand out from the crowd.

LOL....never though of that and thanks to Sharp for save me a trip to the tanning salon and money for more blu-ray movies.

I personally like that setting, well at least it is close to my Sony ex-qualia PQ
post #731 of 1357
sorry but dynamic is simply just NOT what the doctor ordered for this set. Unless you like that FAKE look
post #732 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Were the Sony and LG sets running 4K content or regular 1080 content? I am assuming both were running 4K off a hard drive? Curious to see what they can do with regular HD source.

It was 4K content being fed from some kind of server. I asked if I could see what upscaled HD content looked like on the sets, but they were either unable or unwilling to indulge me.
post #733 of 1357
When stores are unable or unwilling to demo what I want to see, I become unwilling to pull out my credit card.

I usually thank the sales person for their help and let them know that I'll need to find a vendor that can meet my demo needs before I'd consider buying. For the acne faced kid, this just goes over their head, for others that are just lazy slackers, it tends to get their attention.

Asking for someone that can "help" often gets a frustrated sales droid to turn you over to his or her manager. They are often more flexible as they are working towards some sales goal or quota.
post #734 of 1357
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

When stores are unable or unwilling to demo what I want to see, I become unwilling to pull out my credit card.
I usually thank the sales person for their help and let them know that I'll need to find a vendor that can meet my demo needs before I'd consider buying. For the acne faced kid, this just goes over their head, for others that are just lazy slackers, it tends to get their attention.
Asking for someone that can "help" often gets a frustrated sales droid to turn you over to his or her manager. They are often more flexible as they are working towards some sales goal or quota.
Yeah , that's how ya gotta be it's like buying a car if they are not going let me test drive the way I want I'll find another dealer who will .

I go in with blu-rays at a time when they are not busy , let them know I want to spend time with the display any flack I walk over to the manager & inform him that I'm making a complaint to his higher ups & them give the name of another vendor that I'm taking my business to
post #735 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

When stores are unable or unwilling to demo what I want to see, I become unwilling to pull out my credit card.

When I said they were "unwilling" to demo the upscaling capabilities for me, it was probably a bad choice of words. Anyone who has ever shopped at Abt knows that they are one of the most accommodating and customer oriented stores in existence. I honestly have never shopped at a place that goes more out of their way to make sure their customers are happy. Truth be told, I consider myself lucky to live so close by. In this particular instance, I simply asked once and didn't push the matter. It's not as if I was actually in the market for a $20,000 TV, so it hardly seemed like something worth making a fuss over. I can almost guarantee you that if I really wanted to see what a Blu-ray looked like on that bad boy, they would have made it happen.
post #736 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

sorry but dynamic is simply just NOT what the doctor ordered for this set. Unless you like that FAKE look

Not sure what mean......
post #737 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom88 View Post

Not sure what mean......

see post 728 for further explanation
post #738 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Were the Sony and LG sets running 4K content or regular 1080 content? I am assuming both were running 4K off a hard drive? Curious to see what they can do with regular HD source.
All content is up scaled to the native resolution, just like all units do now.

How does 720p/1080I look on a 1080P set to you ?
post #739 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

When I said they were "unwilling" to demo the upscaling capabilities for me, it was probably a bad choice of words. Anyone who has ever shopped at Abt knows that they are one of the most accommodating and customer oriented stores in existence. I honestly have never shopped at a place that goes more out of their way to make sure their customers are happy. Truth be told, I consider myself lucky to live so close by. In this particular instance, I simply asked once and didn't push the matter. It's not as if I was actually in the market for a $20,000 TV, so it hardly seemed like something worth making a fuss over. I can almost guarantee you that if I really wanted to see what a Blu-ray looked like on that bad boy, they would have made it happen.
Well, who in their right mind doesn't want to see what the set they are considering will do with the real world content they will be viewing?

Stores get between a rock and a hard place abiding by the Hollywood laws that prohibit public exhibition of movies. Retailers are for profit enterprises, so they could run into copyright issues. Same with cable or sat feeds.

Retailers need something similar to automobile "dealer plates" for content, to allow them to demo content in the retail environment for the purpose of making a sale.

Not being able to see what your content looks like opens up the whole return option for customers that had to buy and install the set before they could even see if it was to their liking.

At present, seems content providers are driving the process - protecting their intellectual property to the disadvantage of the consumer that actually wants to view the content.

Very similar to being asked to buy a car without a test drive.
post #740 of 1357
Hi guys I went to the store today (very bright environment) and did a quick eye balled setup with AVATAR as follows:

A/V Mode: Dynamic
OPC Off
Backlight +16
Contrast +40
Brightness -6
Color -12
Tint 0
Sharpness -2

Advanced Value

Color Temp. Low
Motion Enhancement Off
Active Contrast Off
Gamma Adjustment -2
Film Mode Advanced +1
DNR Off
Monochrome Off
Range of OPC NA

Try it and tell me what you think! smile.gif

I almost bought the beast today...eek.gif
Edited by dhan - 1/8/13 at 3:03pm
post #741 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

All content is up scaled to the native resolution, just like all units do now.
How does 720p/1080I look on a 1080P set to you ?

Upconverted 1080i to 1080p looks better on a 70" Elite than on it would on a regular Sharp 70", so I think the processor and panels do make somewhat of a difference. I would think at that price Sony 4K would have the best under the hood as there is available. I know my Qualia had a better picture on regular HD content that anything I saw at the store at that time.
post #742 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I would think at that price Sony 4K would have the best under the hood as there is available.

According to the reviews I've read, Sony developed a brand new upscaling chip specifically for the set, and it's phenomenal.
post #743 of 1357
CES: I could not find any mention of the 90 from any of the sources. Was starting to think they were dropping the set. Anyone hear anything about the 90?
post #744 of 1357
heard it was being discontinued
post #745 of 1357
Guess the price will drop then....
post #746 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

heard it was being discontinued

No the 90 inch set has not been discontinued. Instead it's life has been extended through 2013. Accordingly the price will probably not drop based on discontinued items. I admit that any new technological advances added this year will be limited to only the 60, 70 and 80 inch sets and that the 90 inch set is pretty much the same one introduced in 2012.
post #747 of 1357
Your source? My source says differently and works in New Jersey.....
post #748 of 1357
Here's a link from hdguru that says the 90" caries over

http://hdguru.com/sharp-debuts-new-60-70-and-80-inch-hdtvs/9782/#more-9782

I read it somewhere else also, maybe engadget

Hope this helps
post #749 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

No the 90 inch set has not been discontinued. Instead it's life has been extended through 2013. Accordingly the price will probably not drop based on discontinued items. I admit that any new technological advances added this year will be limited to only the 60, 70 and 80 inch sets and that the 90 inch set is pretty much the same one introduced in 2012.

Yes and as I recall the 90 inch set did not have the Quatron feature. I saw the 90 inch set next to the 2012 80 inch sharp and was unable to get the same "pop" with the 90 inch version. However, I did not see a substantial improvement in color on the Quatron even in the yellow. (contrary to what Sharp claims)
post #750 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

Yes and as I recall the 90 inch set did not have the Quatron feature. I saw the 90 inch set next to the 2012 80 inch sharp and was unable to get the same "pop" with the 90 inch version. However, I did not see a substantial improvement in color on the Quatron even in the yellow. (contrary to what Sharp claims)

"Pop" is certainly a subjective word, but does leave me a little concerned.

I'm likely buying this set in the next week or two.

I have never seen this side by side with an 80.

I'm hoping I won't regret it if I buy this set. Maybe its just too early to be buying a 90 inch flat screen?

I was at HHGregg today talking about my plans. The salesperson was pushing the 80 due to quality. Of course I take that all with a grain of sand.

Is there really a large difference between the quality of the 80 vs. 90?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d