or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d - Page 27

post #781 of 1357
I hope who ever is looking into one, my feedbacks help answer some questions.
I was originally debating between this and the Mitsubishi 92" which I consider a really good buy, only thing that convinced me not to go for it was the view angles. But at 92" is the view angle much of a problem ? Lol
post #782 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnkim View Post

I hope who ever is looking into one, my feedbacks help answer some questions.
I was originally debating between this and the Mitsubishi 92" which I consider a really good buy, only thing that convinced me not to go for it was the view angles. But at 92" is the view angle much of a problem ? Lol

I also strongly considered the 92" Mits.

Personally, I really like the DLP picture.

In the end, the depth and better viewing in a less light controlled environment pulled me toward the SHARP.

Since I've had a 70" from when they first came out, moving to the 80" doesn't seem like enough of a jump....

Maybe I'll wait.... I'm working on upgrading everything else right now. TV will be last decision.
post #783 of 1357
I agree, on strongly suggesting the dlp, they're still fantastic, and it'd be my next choice next to a plasma.
I waited till ces to see if the 90" is doing and elite or 844 series but it doesn't look like it so I jumped on it,

It's not even that thin, with the stand it wouldn't be much of a difference on a stand vs the mits 92" , as for right now the most noticeable advantage I see this sharp having is the view angle (very debatable) and not having to deal with changing the bulb out before it gets dim every 3k-3.5k hrs ?
That and maybe the electricity and heat build up if that bothers u at all

I mean don't get me wrong, the picture and color quality is great, better than projectors on a daily use, just comparing with a Mitsubishi 92" price vs performance, sharps not leading much
post #784 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnkim View Post

I agree, on strongly suggesting the dlp, they're still fantastic, and it'd be my next choice next to a plasma.
I waited till ces to see if the 90" is doing and elite or 844 series but it doesn't look like it so I jumped on it,

It's not even that thin, with the stand it wouldn't be much of a difference on a stand vs the mits 92" , as for right now the most noticeable advantage I see this sharp having is the view angle (very debatable) and not having to deal with changing the bulb out before it gets dim every 3k-3.5k hrs ?
That and maybe the electricity and heat build up if that bothers u at all

I mean don't get me wrong, the picture and color quality is great, better than projectors on a daily use, just comparing with a Mitsubishi 92" price vs performance, sharps not leading much

Thanks for a honest review. I was under an impression that in the age of LED's, 4K and now 8K's a DLP is an old age technology, and the pictures on the DLP wont be as great.
I myself am in the market for the Sharp 80" LCD, but then was thinking about the 90", although the price is staggeringly high, i cud live with the fact that i cud use the 90" for a couple of years, watching movies/sports the best possible way on a 90 inch LCD.
But your posts are an eye opener. I havent got a chance to witness the 92" mitsu dlp's, what are the drawbacks of a dlp as compared to a standard LCD/LED TV's?
post #785 of 1357
Oh not a problem,
As for dlp vs LCD, they have the cons and pros,
I honestly find picture quality on par with some top line LCD, if not better . I also thought by now LCD would have advances closer to plasma but I was wrong even when it's advertised as 240hz it's not true 240hz unlike plasma which is advertises 600hz u can see the difference during movies, everything looks much more natural. For sports LCD is fine , I'm just a little picky when it comes to picture quality. It is true dlp is old technology but theaters will stay with dlp for a very long time. IMAX is more like the dlps we use. Lazervue is amazing, beats pioneer elites on some levels from what I saw, both calibrated. If ure in the market for the 80" u won't be disappointed with 844 . I'm happy with the 90" but not satisfied,
As for 4k and 8k it's not worth jumping into especially with the price tag. It'll be like buying a Ferrari with a restricted motor and tranny.

Not much offered at that resolution other than from a pc right now,
I was looking at pannys 103" plasma but the price tag for 70k turned me off.

Bottom line my other option was to go for the 92" mits for now, and when 4k res hits mainstream I wouldn't feel so bad to upgrade I'd probably lose about 1.5k on the resell vs I'd probably lose about 4-4.5k on the resell for this sharp

Ur pros of the LCD will be Better view angle, less heat, certain color mixes will be more accurate, looks nicer, lighter weight, good hi colors, plug and play( built in wifis and etc) calibrate and forget (dlp bulbs get dim around 3-3.5k hrs of use, at this size will probably last 8months before dim)

Pros of dlp is better/sharper image, less blur or motion scroll, price tags ( better bang for buck), better dark levels, easier to self calibrate, matte finish screen (not all lcd is gloss finish, but i believe all mitsubishi dlps are matte now) longer hours of use before burn in picture, less ghosting, better 3d effect, good low colors

Anyone can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong and add whatever important key I might've left out. Hope that helps smile.gif
post #786 of 1357
So, would you get the Sharp 90" again?

How far away do you sit?
post #787 of 1357
I had a DLP set and was looking to upgrade.

I had always been happy with the pq of my DLP set so looked at the 92" Mit DLP as a possible upgrade.

Saw the same pq my existing set provided, except that the Mit had the reflective screen that caught every image possible on the screen. My existing set had a matte finish on the screen, which did a much better job of absorbing ambient light without the mirror effect.

The 92" Mit didn't get too much attention as right next to it was an 80" Sharp. The increase in brightness and sharpness made it the obvious choice. Even my wife, who doesn't know one technology from the other, remarked how the Sharp looked really good while the Mit looked washed out and dull.

The store I was shopping at did not have the 90" Sharp on display, but I would imagine that the difference would be even more obvious.

Anyone seriously considering DLP better hurry as even Mitsubishi is giving up on the sets.

Personally, I'd only consider one if I had a light controlled environment - theater, basement, etc. where I could control the reflections and dim the room lighting to boost the contrast in the picture.
post #788 of 1357
Thread Starter 
The DLP's have Never been on my list of wants , rainbow effect , washed out look , lifeless , dim . I am sorry but they look fuzzy compared to a Sharp LCD . I have a buddy who buys Mits DLP's every time they get a larger size ,he raves much as you do about their PQ & I stand there , thinking what does he see I don't ? I write it off to him being so used to the DLP's image that his brain rejects anything else .
Most if not all DLP users can't see the rainbow effect as the mind has away of rejecting the effect after being subjected to it after awhile . when this was explained to me I thought another quasi BS science theory . But I got a new car , had the windows tinted with a highend film the uses nano particles instead of dyes , the installer asked if I had polarized sunglasses , I say yes , he goes on to say that I'd see rainbows everywhere with my sunglasses on as I looked out the front windshield for the 1st few weeks & that the effect would go away once my mind adjusted to them .
He was right it really was distracting but I got used to the effect weeks later & I now don't see them at all .
Yes I know tinting a front windsheild is not legal rolleyes.gif it's a low % tint but still not legal
post #789 of 1357
I do feel that DLP sets have a more film like image than LCD sets.

My Sharp LCD set gives the image much more of a lifelike look.

Plasma lovers often comment about the film like appearance of their sets too. Critics seem to find them dull and lifeless, much like what has been described here for DLP sets.

In the end, it's personal preference. The market seems to be moving quickly away from DLP and plasma.
post #790 of 1357
Thread Starter 
Yeah , I know what you mean about the film look , but in my HT I like the improvement a BluRay has over going to a movie theater seeing that image , a Good LCD make the BluRays shine I M O
&
Yes it;s a personal thing for sure , Ya want ya like & no one should tell you what you want smile.gif
I never tell anyone that their HT looks off to me ,
unless they ask me about improving what they have , If a friend loves what he has I keep my thoughts to myself .
I have had people over the house , see my set-up & weeks later they buy a new display , not that they buy what I have (some have ) but they do notice a improvement over what they have at their own home .
post #791 of 1357
I am leaving for ABT, the rep on the phone told me they have a sharp 90" and Mitsu 92" also the sharp 80" all on the floor for display and I cud compare the pq of all the sets on the floor itself. Leaving now will post back with feedback In Few hrs.
post #792 of 1357
Congrats ! And hope u'll enjoy which ever u check out, remember dlps lose their pq once it hits about 3k-3.5k hrs of life on bulbs. The rainbow effect that some dlps come with does bother me at times, but lcds motion scroll or whatever bothers me more. Distracts me away from the movie focus and just feels like a low budget euro movie or euro tv series, but for sports I love it, since it gives it a much more pop.

And like I've mentioned the 80" 844 is phenomenal , as to the 90" not so much, maybe I'm just too picky in certain areas, but we all are arnt we ? Other wise we'd be buying generic 200 lcds lol.

As for would I do do it again, if I had a chance to repick ? Quite possibly , but I'd most likely get the 80" 844 series or the mits 92" , save the rest of the money back into the bank and keep adding it up till about in 2 years to possibly replace it for a new line of 4k reasonable priced lcds , at this point makes a little more sense to.

Other than for showing off to ur friends I really do not see much of a big advantage 90" vs 80" price vs performance if ure in the market for a big screen and if LCD is a must for u I'd look for good deals on the 80" 844 , not to mention if thin tv is ur thing the 80" is much thinner than the 90"

I rave about the dlps because the motion speed + sharpness quality is better than LCD 60z , as LCD is still not at their true 120hz/240hz yet still a gimmicky thing, motion scroll or whatever it's called, some can tolerate it some can't . It's somethin. Ur eyes get used to over time. Like others mention all personal preference at the end. I honestly think the 90" should be in the 5.8k-6.3k price range , not near the 10k ranges for authorized dealers, which is my main complaint for what it's worth with all it's con.

And remember with such a size u do notice the little dot pixels that show up on blu-rays , I had to turn down the sharpness a bit trying to blend it better

I sit 13ft away now, between 10ft-13ft made a difference, but 15ft I didn't see much difference
post #793 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnkim View Post

Congrats ! And hope u'll enjoy which ever u check out, remember dlps lose their pq once it hits about 3k-3.5k hrs of life on bulbs. The rainbow effect that some dlps come with does bother me at times, but lcds motion scroll or whatever bothers me more. Distracts me away from the movie focus and just feels like a low budget euro movie or euro tv series, but for sports I love it, since it gives it a much more pop.

And like I've mentioned the 80" 844 is phenomenal , as to the 90" not so much, maybe I'm just too picky in certain areas, but we all are arnt we ? Other wise we'd be buying generic 200 lcds lol.

As for would I do do it again, if I had a chance to repick ? Quite possibly , but I'd most likely get the 80" 844 series or the mits 92" , save the rest of the money back into the bank and keep adding it up till about in 2 years to possibly replace it for a new line of 4k reasonable priced lcds , at this point makes a little more sense to.

Other than for showing off to ur friends I really do not see much of a big advantage 90" vs 80" price vs performance if ure in the market for a big screen and if LCD is a must for u I'd look for good deals on the 80" 844 , not to mention if thin tv is ur thing the 80" is much thinner than the 90"

I rave about the dlps because the motion speed + sharpness quality is better than LCD 60z , as LCD is still not at their true 120hz/240hz yet still a gimmicky thing, motion scroll or whatever it's called, some can tolerate it some can't . It's somethin. Ur eyes get used to over time. Like others mention all personal preference at the end. I honestly think the 90" should be in the 5.8k-6.3k price range , not near the 10k ranges for authorized dealers, which is my main complaint for what it's worth with all it's con.

And remember with such a size u do notice the little dot pixels that show up on blu-rays , I had to turn down the sharpness a bit trying to blend it better

I sit 13ft away now, between 10ft-13ft made a difference, but 15ft I didn't see much difference

Thanks for your thorough insight on this subject.
One thing is for sure.. i might pass DLP's, i might not get it, i dont want to be bothered by the hassle of changing Blubs every few months... plus the tv will be sitting in my living room and is pretty much light up due to the 11ft window just opposite to the wall.

I think i might be considering the 90" or 80", but still i will wait for few days before i get this one. Right now just going in to check out what the offering is and if the 90" is worth the wow factor against the odds of a semi-grade picture quality. The choice is in between 80" and 90". Really want to see if the difference in size is worth paying the extra 3500 dollars.
post #794 of 1357
Yeah, the bulb change and the light problem with view angle is what convinced me to jump on the LCD also, between the 80" and 90" u'll be happy. And like i said im just over picky kn pq, otherwise the 90" isnt that bad, Lol these decisions are harder than marriage. Which ever u decide on I hope for u to enjoy with good health :thumbsup
Remember to post pics for our members ! My photos arnt so great so hopefully urs is more eye candy tongue.gif


Happy viewing
post #795 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnkim View Post

Yeah, the bulb change and the light problem with view angle is what convinced me to jump on the LCD also, between the 80" and 90" u'll be happy. And like i said im just over picky kn pq, otherwise the 90" isnt that bad, Lol these decisions are harder than marriage. Which ever u decide on I hope for u to enjoy with good health :thumbsup
Remember to post pics for our members ! My photos arnt so great so hopefully urs is more eye candy tongue.gif


Happy viewing

True that!! Life is hard with the upgradititis disease, every few months/year something new comes up, and you realize that we are left all alone with a primitive technology and life is running by whilst others enjoying the best things in life. But i guess after this, i will rest in peace.. i dont think there is anything better than watching TV king size. biggrin.gif
post #796 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

True that!! Life is hard with the upgradititis disease, every few months/year something new comes up, and you realize that we are left all alone with a primitive technology and life is running by whilst others enjoying the best things in life. But i guess after this, i will rest in peace.. i dont think there is anything better than watching TV king size. biggrin.gif

I can't wait to hear.
post #797 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

I can't wait to hear.

Back from ABT, and i am filled with mixed emotions.
There's a lot of give and take in the 90" LED. My first reaction was wow, that is ginormous!! I was dumbfound frozen in front of the screen. They were playing Tron on Blu Ray. I must admit that the picture quality is good, but not great.. or not near to great as compared to other LED/LCD's below 80", however there sure is a wow factor. I spent atleast an hour in front of the 90incher, and gradually realized that the wow factor is actually decreasing. I think the TV takes full credit to impress at the very first sight, but outgrows in few mins/hrs. Reason? You actually realize that the picture quality is not half good as you see on other LCD's... Pixelation, studder, Television Soap effect, small Lines/bars on fast moving objects, near blurry.

I tried to switch channels and watch both HD and non-hd content, Non-HD content looks horrible, and HD content is a 50-50, some channels work ok (not great), others are not worth watchable, gives a headache.
I think this LED TV is only good to watch extremely well made blu-ray copies. For a regular dish/cable/directv viewing.. its not an icebreaker, infact you'd be compromising a lot. I remember the days few years back when lcd/led comparision war was going on the forum, people in here were nit-picking on very minute details, but if you have to compare the current 90" to the generic below 80" LCD/LED market.. the difference in PQ is huge.

The guy at ABT gave me a hint that the 90" might go out of the market in few months, and the mitsubishi is totally out of production, an the company is going out of business, and they might even stop supporting after sales service in few months, hence its a risky buy.
I saw the LG 4K 84" next to the sharp, and gosh... no words.. its mind blowing.. its going for around 17,000 i am so tempted. Go and look!!!

Anyone got any idea if sharp is releasing any other 90incher soon? I mean anything better than the current model? Something definately does not look good about this. spending that sort of amount on a half baked cake is not worth it IMHO!! As i said there is a lot of give and take, u will get a huge difference in the size, its astonding, but definately the picture is not there. Blu Ray is good, but for general veiwership off cable/ sattelite.. no fun.
post #798 of 1357
Like I've mentioned if I had to get a big tv and pq is key factor without a doubt 80" 844 .
The 90" wasn't sharps attempt for mass marketing, it was for their bragging rights and they gave customers a chance to own a huge tv, as u can see by the pq they didn't focus much on it.
As for another 90" series I'm very sure there will be other lines, but not for another few years. They sold over 250k TV sets 70-80" last year in 2012 so obviously that's their big target.
The 4k and 8k TVs wow me but if anyone can remember when 1080 first came out, right now is not worth it. TV channels baierly hit 1080 and movies are not jumping on 4k res anytime soon,
17k sounds like hell of a deal. For the Sammy I was priced at 20k
I was going to preorder but the fact I can't really enjoy anything 4k other than from a pc turned me off

And it's true mits is discontinuing their dlp. I didn't hear anything about no service though, the rep told me mits is planning on 5 more years of warranty And service for their dlp, I'm assuming for extended warranty ?
And I don't think mits is going out of business
They're continuing the lazervues from what I hear but in a thinner depth platform. But reducing the price by changing some tv options.

Also worth mentioning, the 4k TVs will be released in smaller sizes, but they did an 84" for wow factor and for early adopters. I'd find the link but I'm at work , Sammy survey says average home TVs are now 55-65" so in next few years they're expecting average to be in the 70-80s and big big screens would Be in the 90-100s

I just wished sharp did more work on the 90" to have it their elite technology options.
Then the tv wouldn't feel like such a waste.

Another reason why I've mentioned if pq is important and a 90"+ is a must. The mits 92" is a good alternative.

Price vs performance between the two is really no joke. Mits shines there

Out of the box sharp looks bad, after good calibration and a good blu-ray that's really filmed for HD such as dark knight the sharp looks better.

Have to remember most blu-rays are not filmed for HD so on a screen like this it is noticeable. Believe it or not even till this day not all current movies are being filmed for HD
Edited by jstnkim - 1/21/13 at 5:05pm
post #799 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

The DLP's have Never been on my list of wants , rainbow effect , washed out look , lifeless , dim . I am sorry but they look fuzzy compared to a Sharp LCD . I have a buddy who buys Mits DLP's every time they get a larger size ,he raves much as you do about their PQ & I stand there , thinking what does he see I don't ? I write it off to him being so used to the DLP's image that his brain rejects anything else .
Most if not all DLP users can't see the rainbow effect as the mind has away of rejecting the effect after being subjected to it after awhile . when this was explained to me I thought another quasi BS science theory . But I got a new car , had the windows tinted with a highend film the uses nano particles instead of dyes , the installer asked if I had polarized sunglasses , I say yes , he goes on to say that I'd see rainbows everywhere with my sunglasses on as I looked out the front windshield for the 1st few weeks & that the effect would go away once my mind adjusted to them .
He was right it really was distracting but I got used to the effect weeks later & I now don't see them at all .
Yes I know tinting a front windsheild is not legal rolleyes.gif it's a low % tint but still not legal

I totally agree. I had the Sony 70" XBR2 SXRD rear projection TV and at the time when it was out it was probably one of the best TV you could get at that size but with these LED TVs now coming in 70", 80" and 90" I don't know why anyone would consider the rear-projection set if cost isn't a factor. PQ on 844u is much better with may be exception of some SD channels that don't have good source but I rarely watch SD material on my 844u.
post #800 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnkim View Post

Congrats ! And hope u'll enjoy which ever u check out, remember dlps lose their pq once it hits about 3k-3.5k hrs of life on bulbs. The rainbow effect that some dlps come with does bother me at times, but lcds motion scroll or whatever bothers me more. Distracts me away from the movie focus and just feels like a low budget euro movie or euro tv series, but for sports I love it, since it gives it a much more pop.

And like I've mentioned the 80" 844 is phenomenal , as to the 90" not so much, maybe I'm just too picky in certain areas, but we all are arnt we ? Other wise we'd be buying generic 200 lcds lol.

As for would I do do it again, if I had a chance to repick ? Quite possibly , but I'd most likely get the 80" 844 series or the mits 92" , save the rest of the money back into the bank and keep adding it up till about in 2 years to possibly replace it for a new line of 4k reasonable priced lcds , at this point makes a little more sense to.

Other than for showing off to ur friends I really do not see much of a big advantage 90" vs 80" price vs performance if ure in the market for a big screen and if LCD is a must for u I'd look for good deals on the 80" 844 , not to mention if thin tv is ur thing the 80" is much thinner than the 90"

I rave about the dlps because the motion speed + sharpness quality is better than LCD 60z , as LCD is still not at their true 120hz/240hz yet still a gimmicky thing, motion scroll or whatever it's called, some can tolerate it some can't . It's somethin. Ur eyes get used to over time. Like others mention all personal preference at the end. I honestly think the 90" should be in the 5.8k-6.3k price range , not near the 10k ranges for authorized dealers, which is my main complaint for what it's worth with all it's con.

And remember with such a size u do notice the little dot pixels that show up on blu-rays , I had to turn down the sharpness a bit trying to blend it better

I sit 13ft away now, between 10ft-13ft made a difference, but 15ft I didn't see much difference


I had to get used to this when I first went from 70" XBR2 to 844u. There are some setting that could help improve this effect. Have you tries setting the film mode to off or advanced +1? Also a lot of owners with 80" like the motion enhancement at 120 low or high but for me I'm ok with off or any of the enhancement settings even Aquamotion 240 or 480.
Edited by SonyHome - 1/21/13 at 5:59pm
post #801 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Back from ABT, and i am filled with mixed emotions.
There's a lot of give and take in the 90" LED. My first reaction was wow, that is ginormous!! I was dumbfound frozen in front of the screen. They were playing Tron on Blu Ray. I must admit that the picture quality is good, but not great.. or not near to great as compared to other LED/LCD's below 80", however there sure is a wow factor. I spent atleast an hour in front of the 90incher, and gradually realized that the wow factor is actually decreasing. I think the TV takes full credit to impress at the very first sight, but outgrows in few mins/hrs. Reason? You actually realize that the picture quality is not half good as you see on other LCD's... Pixelation, studder, Television Soap effect, small Lines/bars on fast moving objects, near blurry.

I tried to switch channels and watch both HD and non-hd content, Non-HD content looks horrible, and HD content is a 50-50, some channels work ok (not great), others are not worth watchable, gives a headache.
I think this LED TV is only good to watch extremely well made blu-ray copies. For a regular dish/cable/directv viewing.. its not an icebreaker, infact you'd be compromising a lot. I remember the days few years back when lcd/led comparision war was going on the forum, people in here were nit-picking on very minute details, but if you have to compare the current 90" to the generic below 80" LCD/LED market.. the difference in PQ is huge.

The guy at ABT gave me a hint that the 90" might go out of the market in few months, and the mitsubishi is totally out of production, an the company is going out of business, and they might even stop supporting after sales service in few months, hence its a risky buy.
I saw the LG 4K 84" next to the sharp, and gosh... no words.. its mind blowing.. its going for around 17,000 i am so tempted. Go and look!!!

Anyone got any idea if sharp is releasing any other 90incher soon? I mean anything better than the current model? Something definately does not look good about this. spending that sort of amount on a half baked cake is not worth it IMHO!! As i said there is a lot of give and take, u will get a huge difference in the size, its astonding, but definately the picture is not there. Blu Ray is good, but for general veiwership off cable/ sattelite.. no fun.

I'm speaking for my 80" 844u but blu-ray looks absolutely great on my set. I can't believe there would be that much difference with the 90" with blu-ray as the source. Also one thing to note as others have also commented on this but these Sharp 80" & probably 90" too need good source signal otherwise it will not look good. I remember when I first saw the 80" 632u in BestBuy I thought it was a huge TV but compared to other TVs that are hooked up to the same feed it looked a lot worse. My 844u looks really good with DTV HD channels and even better with Blu-ray. I'm comparing these to my Sony 60" XBR LX900 & 52" XBR9 sets and they are definitely comparable especially given the size increase over the others. One thing I try to avoid is watching SD channels on 844u since again source is very important to get good PQ on this set.
post #802 of 1357
Someone was asking for how it was shipped, here's a picture. http://imgur.com/gallery/xOxh5cU
post #803 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun68 View Post

Someone was asking for how it was shipped, here's a picture. http://imgur.com/gallery/xOxh5cU

I don't think you are supposed to stand that up sideways! eek.gif

Comments below the picture are hilarious! biggrin.gif
post #804 of 1357
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun68 View Post

Someone was asking for how it was shipped, here's a picture. xOxh5cU
$9K display & a Best Buy manager is playing games with it . IF That photo gets seen by the wrong person & that's gonna be a former Best Buy manager !
post #805 of 1357
I recently bought an 80" 632. It replaced a 65" DLP set.

Sources are Blu Ray, Dish HD, and Netflix streaming @ 720p.

Even at the reduced prices being seen for the 90", I paid less than 1/2 for the 632. To me, this means that the extra 10" screen size cost twice what I spent.

I could not be happier with my purchase. Even Netflix looks very good on the 80" The other sources also look great.

It puts some reality to the purchase decision when you consider that you can have 2 80" sets in your home for the price of one 90". That "wow" factor that the extra 10" screen size provides is really a premium.
post #806 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I recently bought an 80" 632. It replaced a 65" DLP set.

Sources are Blu Ray, Dish HD, and Netflix streaming @ 720p.

Even at the reduced prices being seen for the 90", I paid less than 1/2 for the 632. To me, this means that the extra 10" screen size cost twice what I spent.

I could not be happier with my purchase. Even Netflix looks very good on the 80" The other sources also look great.

It puts some reality to the purchase decision when you consider that you can have 2 80" sets in your home for the price of one 90". That "wow" factor that the extra 10" screen size provides is really a premium.

True that. I think 4500 price tag on 90" is good enough, which i think will eventually be by the end of this year. Looks like sharp over-inflated the price on the 90" to influence early adopters and earn some extra money. They might release the same size in Quattron technology at the same cost as they are selling 90" today, and will bring this 90" model down to 4500 dollars or so. Its the same game they are playing as Apple plays, bring technology in installments and get people to upgrade.

By the way.. a question to all the people with upgradititis, what do u do with your old LCD? Where do you sell them, and do you always get local customers at good price?

Edit: On a second note, i went to ABT again yesterday evening (as its nearby) with a friend who has good better knowledge in calibrating etc.
I took the Dark Knight and Avengers Blu Ray with me, and tried the blu ray on the 90" at ABT.
I think this time i had a completely experience, he calibrated the LED a bit, and i think this time it looked really good. The blacks are deep black.. also this time we met a rep who was more knowledgable as compared to the previous rep, and he gave us a lot of info. Also according to him, the satellite cable signal was distributed among 100's of LCD's on the floor, hence the signal is not always going to be enough for a 90" Sharp. If the source is dedicated definately there is going to be a better output in PQ.

I think i have started liking the 90" that was on the floor, and i might get this one but not jumping the bandwagon right now, might wait a few weeks before i pull the trigger. Reading around and waiting to see if anything is coming up by sharp or a rival company in the same category for similar or better price range. I think it will be until April. I can live for another 2-3 months in peace and watch out, rather than sit and regret wishing i waited for a few more months before pulling the trigger.
Edited by holyindian - 1/22/13 at 8:49am
post #807 of 1357
h
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

True that. I think 4500 price tag on 90" is good enough, which i think will eventually be by the end of this year. Looks like sharp over-inflated the price on the 90" to influence early adopters and earn some extra money. They might release the same size in Quattron technology at the same cost as they are selling 90" today, and will bring this 90" model down to 4500 dollars or so. Its the same game they are playing as Apple plays, bring technology in installments and get people to upgrade.

By the way.. a question to all the people with upgradititis, what do u do with your old LCD? Where do you sell them, and do you always get local customers at good price?

Edit: On a second note, i went to ABT again yesterday evening (as its nearby) with a friend who has good better knowledge in calibrating etc.
I took the Dark Knight and Avengers Blu Ray with me, and tried the blu ray on the 90" at ABT.
I think this time i had a completely experience, he calibrated the LED a bit, and i think this time it looked really good. The blacks are deep black.. also this time we met a rep who was more knowledgable as compared to the previous rep, and he gave us a lot of info. Also according to him, the satellite cable signal was distributed among 100's of LCD's on the floor, hence the signal is not always going to be enough for a 90" Sharp. If the source is dedicated definately there is going to be a better output in PQ.

I think i have started liking the 90" that was on the floor, and i might get this one but not jumping the bandwagon right now, might wait a few weeks before i pull the trigger. Reading around and waiting to see if anything is coming up by sharp or a rival company in the same category for similar or better price range. I think it will be until April. I can live for another 2-3 months in peace and watch out, rather than sit and regret wishing i waited for a few more months before pulling the trigger.

I am in a very similar boat as you.

I have yet to see a 90" in person where I really liked the picture. In all cases it was okay with the ONLY wow factor being size (just as you stated before).

In each case, the salesperson said they didn't calibrate the set at all. Just out of the box.

My plan was to do as you said. Go to Best Buy and spend a lot of time with the set and calibrate it to see if I would like it in the long run using my own disks. I spoke with the Magnolia manager and told him what I wanted to do and that I was also going to look for a price match. He agreed, but since then I learned more....

When I realized that there is no chance that BB will match any of the online prices I have seen I didn't think it right to use their time in such a manner. I was willing to spend more by using BB, but not THAT much more. I found a brick and mortar dealer that I like who also has an online presence. It will be SIGNIFICANTLY more through BB.

I understand my risk, but today another item I ordered from him that came to my home safe and sound by freight. I spend $5K with him so far and found him to be very knowledgeable and trustworthy. I'll take the risk with the TV, whichever one I choose.
post #808 of 1357
Well I originally waited till ces to see what companies are doing and reading up on the interviews,
So far if not all but most companies are researching more into the higher resolution as that is the next generation in our tv lines.
So expecting a 844 series or a higher series for these 90" is highly doubtful, they're busy trying to get their 84" 4k or sharps 8k hdtvs out on time for their promised preorders
Which is the reason why I jumped on the 90" now

And as I mentioned the 90" has a set price from the company to all authorized dealers, they are not allowed to seller it for less than the configured price.
I don't see the price of these coming down, not for another 2 years (2014)
These were limited production and price would only come down as it will be considered 2 year old. I don't see the companies bringing the price of 80+ sizes anytime soon.
They're trying to make as much as money off of their current TVs by keeping the price of their 4k res TVs high.
70" 4k TVs expect them to be over 10k and 60-65" 4k to be in 7k range from Sammy

I'm pretty sure sharp will do a refresh of the 90" seeing how Sammy did a survey and they see 90-100" becoming more common in 3 years for average buyers.

But if Sammy keeps their 4k res for 70" above 10k mark I don't see sharp bringing down the cost of their 90" 1080 TVs below 6k

It's history repeating its self again SD TV vs 1080

Just a theory I know but it makes sense.
Seeing how much money Samsung makes a year ( I forgot exact amount) I don't think they really care if we think its outrageous or not, people will still purchase and they'll just make less if necessary , their profit is ridiculous on the electronics market.
They make billions as it is just off of housing per month.

Vizio prices has come up since their beginning also size vs price


I learned if I play the waiting game for the next big hit , at times I'd end up waiting forever.
I paid a little over 8k + tax

And as for the other gentleman who asked, everytime I upgrade which is often I resell on Craigslist or eBay.
Since I upgrade every 2-3 years I so get most of my money back, buyers always compare with amazon and such for value so I just mark it about 5-20% less depending on the quality nature of it. I usually take good care of all my products, so they look new.

Only product I ever lose money on is basically vehicles, regardless of mileage value changes way too much.
Other than that its my watches, gold value spikes up or down . Stainless steel is Always steady

I can probably resell my tv for about 6k at the very least in 2 years or less if prices do not fluctuate and it looks like it won't move much, especially if mits stops making big competitive screens. I won't be losing too much, and I can add more to that 6k and upgrade again if necessary
post #809 of 1357
Dont want to talk about price here, but abt has marked the 90" in the price bracket of 7000 and 8000 including tax.
They were selling this for around 10,000 few months back as per the rep.
post #810 of 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Dont want to talk about price here, but abt has marked the 90" in the price bracket of 7000 and 8000 including tax.
They were selling this for around 10,000 few months back as per the rep.

When I was at Abt, I noticed there was a $1,000 instant rebate from Sharp. I don't know if this is still the case, but it probably is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp LC-90LE745U Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] d