or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › FlexRAID 2.0 Opinions? Thinking of going with it over UnRAID/SnapRAID
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FlexRAID 2.0 Opinions? Thinking of going with it over UnRAID/SnapRAID - Page 7

post #181 of 252
My biggest turn off to the pricing (especially the proposed future price) was comparing it to the cost of WHS 2011. For right under $50 you can get a full version of WHS 2011. The pooling with RAID option was the same price (now$60) with a chance that it would double to $100. Now you are looking at $110 to $150 total cost.

WHS 2011 plus StableBit only adds another $20. It now performs pooling and duplication like WHS v1. I think DriveBender is $30 which is similar to SB. Both of which have dashboard apps. If you want software RAID instead of duplication then you can add SnapRAID for free.

Now none of that even considers dropping the whole software side and getting a hardware RAID card instead.
post #182 of 252
Well , it would seem that the consensus is pretty clear .

#1 I like the product enough to pay the asking price no matter what .

# 2 Take a hike

Pretty cut and dry if you ask me .
post #183 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigahertz21 View Post

Did you even read? I didn't say $40 is going to break the bank, I wish it was that price or I'd buy it. It is $60 right now and at that price I'm not sure if I should buy it or just use SnapRAID, that's what I'm debating. I don't have time to take FlexRAID for a test drive before it goes up to $100 on May 6th, once it goes up to that price I'm not going to spend $100 on something that other people only paid $40 for or got for free.

I did read, and I read into your conundrum a little. Your whole decision is based on money instead of the software so I came to the obviously wrong conclusion that money was the major factor in your decision. Sorry.
post #184 of 252
Good news if you wanted FlexRAID for the lower price because the "sale" has been extended another month.
post #185 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigahertz21 View Post

It's hard to spend $100 on something when people a few weeks ago paid only $40 for the same thing. It makes you feel like you are getting a **** deal, and I think most people would agree with me. The way Brahim has done the pricing for this software has been a little silly. First $40, then $50, now $60, then $100 on May 6th. So when people stop buying it, I wonder if he will adjust it down to some low price again.

This happens all the time, buying a car, house, black friday deals ect. Procrastination sucks doesn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigahertz21 View Post

I have about 4TB of media spread around on 4 external USB hard drives (2)500GB/1.5TB/3TB. All I want to do really is backup the media on them in case one of those hard drives die. For my needs, there really is no need to build a server for now at least. I wonder if I should just buy another 3TB external hard drive and then use it as a parity drive for my 4 external hard drives that I already have. I can do that right? I just don't want to have to backup my data 1:1, meaning if I have 4TB of data, I don't want to have to take up another 4TB of space just to back it up. Eventually I'll have to probably build a server once my collection gets bigger since buying more external hard drives will be silly. When it comes to that, I guess the smart thing to do would be to just rip out the hard drives from the external USB enclosures and connect them internally to the server. I'm guessing the data on them would still be fine.

None of the solutions in this thread should be considered a backup. They are all file servers with a small amount of piece of mind parity. Data loss is still a possibility. The only true backup is a 1 for 1 backup in a separate place.

Based on what you said here I would go for a free version snap raid. I will have to do a little research, but I am not sure unraid will allow you to put a USB device in the protected array. Maybe someone can chime in on that? I haven't tried this or even thought about it.

All in all it doesn't look like your looking to serve files around the house, perhaps snapraid should be your product of choice, at least it will give you time to play with it.

My knowledge of flex and snap raid is very weak, do they support different drive sizes?
post #186 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBCOB View Post

My knowledge of flex and snap raid is very weak, do they support different drive sizes?

Found the answer for flex raid it is yes.
post #187 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBCOB View Post

Found the answer for flex raid it is yes.

SnapRAID does as well.
post #188 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

SnapRAID does as well.

Thanks Killroy!
post #189 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

My biggest turn off to the pricing (especially the proposed future price) was comparing it to the cost of WHS 2011. For right under $50 you can get a full version of WHS 2011. The pooling with RAID option was the same price (now$60) with a chance that it would double to $100. Now you are looking at $110 to $150 total cost.

WHS 2011 plus StableBit only adds another $20. It now performs pooling and duplication like WHS v1. I think DriveBender is $30 which is similar to SB. Both of which have dashboard apps. If you want software RAID instead of duplication then you can add SnapRAID for free.

Now none of that even considers dropping the whole software side and getting a hardware RAID card instead.

Isn't this saying why pay $349 for Office when the WHS is $50?
Or buy a hardware RAID card at the cost of twice the whole system?
Or why hire and pay a system administrator $150K to manage a $10k system?

I would like to remind everyone to give FlexRAID a spin on Linux.
As per the latest release (2.0 update 7), the Linux implementation is very robust and you get a free OS to boot.
In addition to a base Linux distro, you could pair FlexRAID with OpenMediaVault or Zentyal (my latest favorite).
post #190 of 252
I agree and feel that Linux is a very powerful o.s and way more secure than Windows . I suspect largely due to the ability of Linux to give the user a direct command line interface to control security as well as the o.s. it self .

I looked at using Ubuntu with Flex Raid . One issue that seems to be a common thread is that , that same powerful o.s. IS primarily command line usage when it comes to server operation and requires Windows users to learn a completely different way off life on a computer .

"The world runs on Windows"
post #191 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

Well , it would seem that the consensus is pretty clear .

#1 I like the product enough to pay the asking price no matter what .

# 2 Take a hike

Pretty cut and dry if you ask me .

Let me reiterate.

I think the pricing schedule is a bit flaky .... I really do . Trying to "make up for lost development time / money" by running an aggressive post dev. pricing structure seems a bit counter customer oriented . I do however think that continuously *itching about it does no good either.
post #192 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

Isn't this saying why pay $349 for Office when the WHS is $50?
Or buy a hardware RAID card at the cost of twice the whole system?
Or why hire and pay a system administrator $150K to manage a $10k system?

I would like to remind everyone to give FlexRAID a spin on Linux.
As per the latest release (2.0 update 7), the Linux implementation is very robust and you get a free OS to boot.
In addition to a base Linux distro, you could pair FlexRAID with OpenMediaVault or Zentyal (my latest favorite).

Honestly a lot of people will just look at it as an add-on for better storage management and compare to DrivePool/DriveBender which are both $20, or the free options.

IMO there are 2 kinds of potential customers you'll encounter -

1. those that have use FlexRaid or have done their research and know enough about it to know its what they need, and they are willing to pay the price - these are the people you referred to in your analogies.

2. everyone else who will simply ask - why is it so expensive? They have to be convinced of the value. Maybe you should include some comparisons with the other solutions that highlight what's unique in FlexRaid.
post #193 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Honestly a lot of people will just look at it as an add-on for better storage management and compare to DrivePool/DriveBender which are both $20, or the free options.

IMO there are 2 kinds of potential customers you'll encounter -

1. those that have use FlexRaid or have done their research and know enough about it to know its what they need, and they are willing to pay the price - these are the people you referred to in your analogies.

2. everyone else who will simply ask - why is it so expensive? They have to be convinced of the value. Maybe you should include some comparisons with the other solutions that highlight what's unique in FlexRaid.

Or provide a drive limited addition to test the software out and if you want to increase the array size you need to buy the full version. Kind of like unRAID does it. I was able to test the software on 3 disks for around 3-months before I took the plunge. If it wasn't for that I would have not paid that much for something I have never used. Regardless of what is posted in the forums.
post #194 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBCOB View Post

Or provide a drive limited addition to test the software out and if you want to increase the array size you need to buy the full version. Kind of like unRAID does it. I was able to test the software on 3 disks for around 3-months before I took the plunge. If it wasn't for that I would have not paid that much for something I have never used. Regardless of what is posted in the forums.

This is a good idea. Except since FlexRaid isn't limited to drives it would have to limited to X DRU's, or maybe total size of data protected.
post #195 of 252
That may work, something is need to bring in people who have no idea what they are looking at. I for one would hate to throw money down and then find out it is not what I need or want.
post #196 of 252
I believe FlexRaid now offers a trial.
post #197 of 252
So, I went ahead and downloaded FlexRaid last night. The trial is for 14 days. Good thing the trial isn't for 7 days, because I would throw it in the trash.

My first impression so far - User interface is extremely buggy.

I used 4 data drives and 1 parity drive on a WHS 2011 machine and left 3 of my drives alone. I had to install the trial key 3 times. Adding drives and removing drives some how it got a little confused and the drives got grayed out and I couldn't do anything with them. First attempt at building the array froze at 0 percent.

Smart doesn't work behind my SAS controller. Control panel says to use some type of argument (sure like to know were to put it). And my UoR visualization page is blank.

If your going to sell software at this kind of price, your really need to include a help file with some of the basics. So now its up and running and my drives are in a pool. Unfortunately I didn't want my drives pooled. Having been a WHS v1 user I don't miss drive pooling at all. So I go to the flexraid webpage and it has been been down about 18 hours now.

If your going to sell software at the same price as the big boys, you really have some work to do.
post #198 of 252
The GUI does need some love. When I tried it last it was buggy and I'd often have to close it and reopen to get it to work. I think the Cruise Control feature works well, but the interface needs a big can of polish.
post #199 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

So, I went ahead and downloaded FlexRaid last night. The trial is for 14 days. Good thing the trial isn't for 7 days, because I would throw it in the trash.

My first impression so far - User interface is extremely buggy.

I used 4 data drives and 1 parity drive on a WHS 2011 machine and left 3 of my drives alone. I had to install the trial key 3 times. Adding drives and removing drives some how it got a little confused and the drives got grayed out and I couldn't do anything with them. First attempt at building the array froze at 0 percent.

Smart doesn't work behind my SAS controller. Control panel says to use some type of argument (sure like to know were to put it). And my UoR visualization page is blank.

If your going to sell software at this kind of price, your really need to include a help file with some of the basics. So now its up and running and my drives are in a pool. Unfortunately I didn't want my drives pooled. Having been a WHS v1 user I don't miss drive pooling at all. So I go to the flexraid webpage and it has been been down about 18 hours now.

If your going to sell software at the same price as the big boys, you really have some work to do.

There is an entire wiki for how to set up and configure flexraid. No idea why it's down and without it, I can certainly see running into some difficulty. Documentation need some work for sure
post #200 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

There is an entire wiki for how to set up and configure flexraid. No idea why it's down and without it, I can certainly see running into some difficulty. Documentation need some work for sure

Doesn't matter, because it looks like the trial server is down as well, so even if you wanted to you couldn't set it up. I've got it installed to try out, and it's just not letting me do anything.
post #201 of 252
I hope flexraid is more fault tolerant than flexraid's web server!
post #202 of 252
Probably took it down so he can raise the price again.
post #203 of 252
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

So, I went ahead and downloaded FlexRaid last night. The trial is for 14 days. Good thing the trial isn't for 7 days, because I would throw it in the trash.

My first impression so far - User interface is extremely buggy.

I used 4 data drives and 1 parity drive on a WHS 2011 machine and left 3 of my drives alone. I had to install the trial key 3 times. Adding drives and removing drives some how it got a little confused and the drives got grayed out and I couldn't do anything with them. First attempt at building the array froze at 0 percent.

Smart doesn't work behind my SAS controller. Control panel says to use some type of argument (sure like to know were to put it). And my UoR visualization page is blank.

If your going to sell software at this kind of price, your really need to include a help file with some of the basics. So now its up and running and my drives are in a pool. Unfortunately I didn't want my drives pooled. Having been a WHS v1 user I don't miss drive pooling at all. So I go to the flexraid webpage and it has been been down about 18 hours now.

If your going to sell software at the same price as the big boys, you really have some work to do.

Extremely buggy eh? Good thing he offers a trial then, I'll have to make sure to really test it hard before I ever consider purchasing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

I hope flexraid is more fault tolerant than flexraid's web server!

LOL, I know right, it's still down too. When the price goes to $100 for this software, I'll be very surprised if it sells many copies.
post #204 of 252
Man.

Dude is taking a beating.
post #205 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

Probably took it down so he can raise the price again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Man.

Dude is taking a beating.

You've gotta admit that is pretty funny.
post #206 of 252
Speaking of prices. DriveBender is having a 50% off sale ($20).

http://www.drivebender.com/index.php/buy.html
post #207 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigahertz21 View Post

Extremely buggy eh? Good thing he offers a trial then, I'll have to make sure to really test it hard before I ever consider purchasing it.

Its up and running now. I really don't know why it had so many problems the first couple of times around. This is a piece of software I am interested in. But I want to know all the ins and outs before purchasing. I think a 30 day trial would be more suitable.
My 14 day trial is ticking down and I have no idea how to run it without pooling. I'll search around and I know I will find the answer. But something this simple you shouldn't have to search for the answer. A simple help file would be nice instead of a broken web page.
post #208 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Man.

Dude is taking a beating.

I thought web sites / servers ran 24/7 , 365 day's a year with out ever an issue . Eh ?
post #209 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

..
My first impression so far - User interface is extremely buggy.

I used 4 data drives and 1 parity drive on a WHS 2011 machine and left 3 of my drives alone. I had to install the trial key 3 times. Adding drives and removing drives some how it got a little confused and the drives got grayed out and I couldn't do anything with them. First attempt at building the array froze at 0 percent.

Which browser are you using? FF is preferred. Chrome works just as well. IE works, but IE is IE.
Also, do account for user error and possible learn curve.

Quote:


Smart doesn't work behind my SAS controller. Control panel says to use some type of argument (sure like to know were to put it). And my UoR visualization page is blank.

Just like every SMART product out there, not all controllers are supported, specially if the controller does not pass-through SMART.
As an advanced user, you can still make some controllers work (see wiki).
If you are a novice with an unsupported controller, then you are out of luck. The moon was never promised.

Quote:


If your going to sell software at this kind of price, your really need to include a help file with some of the basics. So now its up and running and my drives are in a pool. Unfortunately I didn't want my drives pooled. Having been a WHS v1 user I don't miss drive pooling at all. So I go to the flexraid webpage and it has been been down about 18 hours now.

If you do not want pooling, you should use Snapshot RAID in Expert mode.
Better than a guide that might easily get outdated, there is a wiki that is kept current.

Quote:


If your going to sell software at the same price as the big boys, you really have some work to do.

Well, now that the money is coming in, big boys things are happening.
In fact, the sites were down because the hardware got moved into the same datacenter as one of the world largest financial institutions.
post #210 of 252
Drive Bender looks real good for $20.

At first I was interested in FlexRaid because of both pooling and efficient backup protection via parity, but have learned since I don't have many drives, the parity feature doesn't provide any advantages over mirroring (which Drive Bender does for $20).

Seems like FlexRaid has the high end niche with many drives, but Drive Bender appears suited for my small, but growing, drive array.

Jake
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › FlexRAID 2.0 Opinions? Thinking of going with it over UnRAID/SnapRAID