or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 35

post #1021 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETH2AL View Post

So 8 ohms is better quality than 6? I use this reciever with the klipsch quintet iii. Sorry for asking a stupid question, I'm just not sure. Never had a receiver like this one.
Neither one is necessarily better but with your speakers you want it set to 8.
post #1022 of 3379
Sirius/XM online is $3.99 / month.

They have a pay for 11 months get 1 month free promo.

$3.99 is a lot, but still cheaper than the XM radio option the older yamahas had. Those were $8.99 / month.

One good thing Im excited to try...

XM has 2 or 3 mlb feeds per game, but can play only 1.
The remainder are accessed via XM online subscription.
post #1023 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Android version works great for my tablet and 671.

does it let you stream music from your android tablet? Thanks
post #1024 of 3379
i connected pc with hdmi and disabled sound. sound card i connected through spdif/todlink digital opt. to av4 and enabled av4 as audio input in hdmi1.
with hdmi out on receiver i connected receiver with tv. on tv is shown extended display from pc. when i turn off tv, i cant use pc cause its switching like crazy all the time. he is automatically finding extended display witch is switched off and switching extended display all the time and pc cant be used till i switch tv on.
when i use sound over hdmi and disconnect optical cable everything works just fine. is there a possibility that i can connect pc and receiver with dighital opt for audio listening only and keep tv switched off but enjoy in listening of music without pc freaking out and to stop receiver and pc recognizing digital connection automatically?
post #1025 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvsmac View Post

does it let you stream music from your android tablet? Thanks
Does Fine with asus tf300 tablet, can`t speak for other tablets though
post #1026 of 3379
Do you guys keep processing on or off?
post #1027 of 3379
I've just installed my brand new 673 (awesome birthday gift from the fiancee tongue.gif), but ran into a really strange problem with my XBMC PC.

The setup is simple:
HP Microserver N36L (with Asus nVidia GeForce EN 210 for HDMI output) running minimal Ubuntu with XBMC Eden, which outputs over HDMI to the 673's HDMI1. The 673 is connected to my Samsung LCD (non-networked LA40C530) with HDMI as well.

Now, if the 673 does NOT have its network cable plugged in, music and video work perfectly. But as soon as I plug in the network cable and want to start a video, XBMC freezes. Playing a MP3 works fine though. If I have the network unplugged and start a video, pause it, plug network in and resume video, all is happy. This happens both with the 673 on and in standby (HDMI passthrough on).

I'm thinking it's DLNA/uPnP trying to be clever, so I've disabled all dlna settings I can find in XBMC, disabled anynet on the Samsung TV, disabled DMC control on the 673, all to no avail. The 673's firmware was updated to 1.64, which also didn't resolve the issue.

The problem is probably sitting with XBMC rather than the 673, but I had to give it a shot here in case it's a setting I'm missing. Any pointers would be appreciated.
post #1028 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsss View Post

Do you guys keep processing on or off?
Video processing? Off.
post #1029 of 3379
Hello all!.. I just finished upgrading to this reciever from the V663, I cant figure out how to connect an aux jack and listen to music while watching tv. Can anyone please advise me how to do this
post #1030 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneel View Post

I've just installed my brand new 673 (awesome birthday gift from the fiancee tongue.gif), but ran into a really strange problem with my XBMC PC.

The setup is simple:
HP Microserver N36L (with Asus nVidia GeForce EN 210 for HDMI output) running minimal Ubuntu with XBMC Eden, which outputs over HDMI to the 673's HDMI1. The 673 is connected to my Samsung LCD (non-networked LA40C530) with HDMI as well.

Now, if the 673 does NOT have its network cable plugged in, music and video work perfectly. But as soon as I plug in the network cable and want to start a video, XBMC freezes. Playing a MP3 works fine though. If I have the network unplugged and start a video, pause it, plug network in and resume video, all is happy. This happens both with the 673 on and in standby (HDMI passthrough on).

I'm thinking it's DLNA/uPnP trying to be clever, so I've disabled all dlna settings I can find in XBMC, disabled anynet on the Samsung TV, disabled DMC control on the 673, all to no avail. The 673's firmware was updated to 1.64, which also didn't resolve the issue.

The problem is probably sitting with XBMC rather than the 673, but I had to give it a shot here in case it's a setting I'm missing. Any pointers would be appreciated.
post #1031 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedis View Post

I just purchased a RX-V773WA and ran into a few issues that may be in past posts but I didn't want to read through them all and thought I'd post this for people contemplating purchasing a 773 or 673, since they are basically the same.

My subwoofer is designed to sense a feed to it and turn on automatically. It does not with the 773. I will try boosting the bass output to see if it will trigger the subwoofer and then adjust the SW volume to compensate as suggested in previous posts. This isn't a big deal but I will have to leave my SW on all the time if I can't get it to trigger.

My biggest complaint with this receiver is that if you have a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker arrangement and you want to run a 2-channel input (CD player, FM radio, Internet radio etc.), no matter what signal processing you select, the receiver will not drive the subwoofer!!!!! I called Yamaha and talked with a tech support guy and two supervisors and they informed me that the receiver is designed to do that. I can not believe it! My 10 year old Sony 5.1 receiver I replaced with this Yamaha would drive the subwoofer with a 2-channel input. If someone knows of a workaround for this, please post it. The subwoofer works fine with Dish HDTV programming and my Blu-Ray player when accompanied with 5.1 surround sound encoding.

I'm not very impressed with the YPAO system. I ran multi-point calibrations and ended up with horrible distortion on the front and center channel speakers. I ran a single-point calibration and it worked fine. I just upgraded the firmware to version 1.64 which in addition to adding Pandora, Rhapsody and Sirius/XM, is suppose to improve the YPAO multi-point calibration. I'll be testing that out later today to see if I still get the distortion after calibration.

I haven't decided if I'm going to return this receiver yet. Not driving the subwoofer is close to a deal-killer for me but I'm going to try some different bass settings for my front channel speakers (Polk Audio LS-90's) and see if I miss the subwoofer for music.

Thoughts? Comments?

Hello,

this is easy to solve. Just go to the settings and to the manual setup of the speakers. In the manual configuration -> configuration you can add "extra bass". Now the subwoofer is in the game, even when the front speakers are large.
post #1032 of 3379
I'm using RX-V471 with Paradigm Satellite Speaker and Monitor Audio ASW110 Subwoofer, thinking about upgrading the system. Just ordered Monitor Audio BX2 for front, BX1 for the back and Monitor Audio BX-LCR for center. Does RX-V673 is the right one for my new speakers? And is it going to be the real upgrade?

I'm quite new and just the beginner looking for help... Thank you very much in advanced ^_^"
post #1033 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnbkk View Post

I'm using RX-V471 with Paradigm Satellite Speaker and Monitor Audio ASW110 Subwoofer, thinking about upgrading the system. Just ordered Monitor Audio BX2 for front, BX1 for the back and Monitor Audio BX-LCR for center. Does RX-V673 is the right one for my new speakers? And is it going to be the real upgrade?

I'm quite new and just the beginner looking for help... Thank you very much in advanced ^_^"
Depends on what you're looking for. The 471 is a fine receiver and will work well with your speakers. If you're looking for a little more features and bells and whistles then get the 673.
post #1034 of 3379
Thank you very much Mr. Bond 007 "Bells and Whistles" that's what I'm looking for really, you made it clear seriously man. (My current system has no bell and whistle sounds really, feel like my system is champagne with no bubble) Will check after I got my new BX and if there's no "bell and whistles" I will go with 673 for sure. Thank you very much once again sir.
post #1035 of 3379
To be clear. By bells and whistles I mean extra features that aren't really necessary. It has nothing to do with the sound that it will produce. Sort of a goofy phrase here in the States. I don't want to mislead you into thinking the 673 will sound any better because it probably won't.
post #1036 of 3379
O I C... Sorry about my English, I'm Thai. But thank you very much for your help Mr. Bond 007
post #1037 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnbkk View Post

O I C... Sorry about my English, I'm Thai. But thank you very much for your help Mr. Bond 007
Welcome.
post #1038 of 3379
I am swaying towards the RX-V673. Newegg have it for $550 with a $170 promotional gift card.. So essentially $380 - assuming I actually use the gift card for a future purchase.
Is this a good deal or can I get it cheaper than the $550 & not have to worry about the gift card.
Is newegg an authorized dealer?
post #1039 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

I am swaying towards the RX-V673. Newegg have it for $550 with a $170 promotional gift card.. So essentially $380 - assuming I actually use the gift card for a future purchase.
Is this a good deal or can I get it cheaper than the $550 & not have to worry about the gift card.
Is newegg an authorized dealer?

You could go the EE route, like many did and get the RX671 and get upgraded to the RX673 or even the A720. I got my RX673 from EE for 420 shipped back when the upgrade "deal" was going on. I see on Amazon that there are 3 left in the RX671 and it's sold and shipped by EE. Also, if you go to EE's site, they list the RX671 as well.
post #1040 of 3379
Sorry whats the upgrade deal? I have an RX-V671 upstairs in the lounge.
post #1041 of 3379
OK figured out what you were talking about from about page 3 of this thread. So Electronics Expo has the 671 for 459.88 right now & there is talk that you get the free upgrade.
The newegg deal is better if I also order the Def Tech 8040 center I was going to purchase from Newegg with the $170 credit..
post #1042 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

OK figured out what you were talking about from about page 3 of this thread. So Electronics Expo has the 671 for 459.88 right now & there is talk that you get the free upgrade.
The newegg deal is better if I also order the Def Tech 8040 center I was going to purchase from Newegg with the $170 credit..

Yeah, if you're going to be getting other things from NewEgg, that deal is probably better than the EE deal.

I don't see EE carrying the DefTech 8040 Center or you might be able to work out a deal with them.
post #1043 of 3379
Is the A720 worth getting versus the 673? I compared the two and couldn't really see a huge difference. The A820 has multi-point YPAO but the A720 and 673 seemed fairly comparable - what am I missing?
post #1044 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

OK figured out what you were talking about from about page 3 of this thread. So Electronics Expo has the 671 for 459.88 right now & there is talk that you get the free upgrade.
The newegg deal is better if I also order the Def Tech 8040 center I was going to purchase from Newegg with the $170 credit..
That upgrade deal from EE is a very shady business anyway and is by no means guaranteed. Some people ordered the 671 and then got mad when they got the 671. rolleyes.gif Then you have to pay for return shipping. Point is if you want to gamble then be willing to lose. highdefav1 should have made this clear.
post #1045 of 3379
I just got the RX 673 through the EE Deal, unfortunately they didn't have the A720 to offer up at the time I emailed to approve the exchange from the RX 671.

My old receiver was the Onkyo TX 606, which fell prey to the HDMI card failure at the very young age of 4 years. I'm never going back to Onkyo. So far I'm very impressed with the sound coming out of my Energy speakers and I'm liking the new features like AirPlay, AV Controller App, Internet Radio and not to mention that all my HDMI ports switch with no problems....Onkyo cannot seem to handle this simple task.

My only complaint would be the remote, Onkyo may put out a cheap receiver, but they seem to put a lot more thought into their remote. One of my complaints would be that Yamaha didn't provide a scene button labeled Game. I think they should have provided a scene button for each HDMI port. My other hang up is the limited thought with controlling a cable box. There are no menu, guide, info, or LAST (previous channel) buttons. This means I will have to keep my cable remote near me. With the Onkyo remote I could control everything from their remote. I'm now looking into getting a Logitech remote if anyone has some suggestions?

I want to thank everyone who talked about the EE Deal. It saved me $100 dollars! The power of the Internet is amazing.
post #1046 of 3379
Any of the Logitechs will work. Its really a matter of how many components you have. The 650 controls 5 and that is what I have.The only difference between the 650 and 700 is the 700 comes with rechargeable batteries. I found it cheaper to get the 650 and buy some rechargeables of my own choosing.
post #1047 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

That upgrade deal from EE is a very shady business anyway and is by no means guaranteed. Some people ordered the 671 and then got mad when they got the 671. rolleyes.gif Then you have to pay for return shipping. Point is if you want to gamble then be willing to lose. highdefav1 should have made this clear.

I didn't make it clear because I was unaware of people receiving the RX671. From what I've read here, all evidence points to people receiving the 673 or 720 instead, because the 671 is last years model and there is no longer inventory. Just a way for EE to discount the 673 and 720 without getting in trouble with Yamaha.
post #1048 of 3379
Well I just pulled the trigger on the 673 from Newegg. The deal ends tonight. I was going to cancel an order I had on the 8040HD center but now I think I'll just treat myself to a new Bluray player :-)
post #1049 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post

I didn't make it clear because I was unaware of people receiving the RX671. From what I've read here, all evidence points to people receiving the 673 or 720 instead, because the 671 is last years model and there is no longer inventory. Just a way for EE to discount the 673 and 720 without getting in trouble with Yamaha.
That deal has been going on for 9 months that I know of. EE probably is out of stock of the 671 by now but I dont know that for a fact. For a while that deal was hit and miss. I think that EE was still getting 671 shipments from time to time. I just thought that it was important that if you are going to tell someone about that deal that they should know that it is a shady prospect so that they can make up their own mind and have no one to blame but their self if they do no get the expected results.
post #1050 of 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenmic View Post

I just got the RX 673 through the EE Deal, unfortunately they didn't have the A720 to offer up at the time I emailed to approve the exchange from the RX 671.

I want to thank everyone who talked about the EE Deal. It saved me $100 dollars! The power of the Internet is amazing.

Good deal!!! That's why I like this forum!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

Well I just pulled the trigger on the 673 from Newegg. The deal ends tonight. I was going to cancel an order I had on the 8040HD center but now I think I'll just treat myself to a new Bluray player :-)

Enjoy the 673 when it comes and don't hesitate to ask any questions. I'm still learning about this receiver....but ask away when you get it if you have any questions!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

That deal has been going on for 9 months that I know of. EE probably is out of stock of the 671 by now but I dont know that for a fact. For a while that deal was hit and miss. I think that EE was still getting 671 shipments from time to time. I just thought that it was important that if you are going to tell someone about that deal that they should know that it is a shady prospect so that they can make up their own mind and have no one to blame but their self if they do no get the expected results.

He asked if any good deals were going on and I chimed in. We're all adults here and can do our own research...I did and received the 673 upgrade, as did many other people. Next time I'll just keep the good deals to myself to avoid any confusion and so I don't have to provide full disclosure and fine print...or just have my lawyer post a reply for a good deal....biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR