or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 42

post #1231 of 3394
Yamaha RX-Vx75 range products now appear on some European Yamaha AV websites . . . "Yamaha AV UK and Ireland" (link) has model details for UK variants of models RX-V375 thru RX-V775.
_
post #1232 of 3394
is this good replacement for my sr607?


i want wifi speakers, i dont want wired anymore.rolleyes.gif suggestions im a noob, i try study my stuff before i make any purchases know n days.
post #1233 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyoKURD View Post

is this good replacement for my sr607?


i want wifi speakers, i dont want wired anymore.rolleyes.gif suggestions im a noob, i try study my stuff before i make any purchases know n days.
If you use wireless speakers, then the amp is in the speaker, so the amp in the receiver makes no difference. You'd only need to shop on features then.
post #1234 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

If you're close, $399 at Fry's B&M only.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5872236-Yamaha-RX-V673-AV-Receiver-7-2-at-Fry-s-B-M-only-399

Best Buy will price match too.
post #1235 of 3394
oh ok, so in wireless case, the subwoofer becomes irrelevent?

what im trying ask is will this be upgrade or similar to my sr607?


i plan on using this with ps4 etc.
post #1236 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyoKURD View Post

oh ok, so in wireless case, the subwoofer becomes irrelevent?

what im trying ask is will this be upgrade or similar to my sr607?


i plan on using this with ps4 etc.

I have a 607 myself, and I feel no need to change to one of these receivers. What do you want out of a new receiver? About the only thing I can see these new Yamaha's having are network control and streaming, neither of which I need.
post #1237 of 3394
no, i just thought it was time for upgrade? i want to do this before the playstation 4 comes out.


do you thinkis because my speakers are 6 ohms?
post #1238 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyoKURD View Post

do you thinkis because my speakers are 6 ohms?

I don't understand.

If you want wireless speakers, then spend your money there, and not on a new receiver. Unless you feel there is something missing that your 607 doesn't do, then one of these Yamahas really isn't an upgrade, and your money could be better spent elsewhere (like on speakers you want).
post #1239 of 3394
thank you so much for staying along and posting.


on topic, i always thought the sr607 doesnt support network?
post #1240 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

Yamaha RX-Vx75 range products now appear on some European Yamaha AV websites . . . "Yamaha AV UK and Ireland" (link) has model details for UK variants of models RX-V375 thru RX-V775.
_

Thanks for that. But changes this year look to be less than in any previous year I can remember.
post #1241 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyoKURD View Post

thank you so much for staying along and posting.


on topic, i always thought the sr607 doesnt support network?

The 607 doesn't support network functionality at all. But, it's only an upgrade if it's something you'd use. I don't listen to streaming music and use a harmony remote (no need for an Android app remote), so adding network functionality wouldn't be an "upgrade" for me, personally. Many other people, perhaps you as well, find network functionality very useful, and a worthwhile upgrade. If I ever feel the need to stream music, I've got my Sony Blu-ray, Xbox 360, etc. to handle that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Thanks for that. But changes this year look to be less than in any previous year I can remember.

Yeah, seems the only difference is the support of MHL.
post #1242 of 3394
I searched and saved all my stations directly through the vtuner website. It asks for you Media Player ID which you can get through the settings on the receiver. Once you enter them on the website they are automatically available on the receiver.

http://yradio.vtuner.com/setupapp/yamaha/asp/AuthLogin/SignIn.asp?sLogoutType=OUTCOMPLETE&lngy=&sAuthErr=sp1&sAuth=
post #1243 of 3394
Does anyone know how to change the rear USB port to turn on and off with the AVR? Right now it is on all of the time. Either that or a way to change the 3.5mm "trigger" into a female USB. I found an adapter plug, but I am nut sure what kind of power (amps) the "trigger" supplies. Is it enough to run a small fan? I have a USB powered fan behind my AVR drawing cool air from behind the entertainment center blowing over the AVR. Right now I am using the front USB jack, but would prefer to use something in the rear.
post #1244 of 3394
Has anyone used 7 channel stereo mode much? I have a 773, but I'm guessing this would be the same for the 673. I'm looking for the best music setting.

The subwoofer loses it's bottom end when I switch to 7 ch. stereo. No changes to the sub settings at all.

I find that the surround decoders for music add a boominess and you lose some of the detail (maybe better for party music). With Straight, 2 ch stereo and 7 ch stereo, there is more clarity. Straight and 2 ch stereo sound the same (to my ears), but I guess that's to be expected. When I switch to 7 ch stereo, the bottom drops out of the bass. I can have it on just about any other setting and feel the bass vibrations, but that goes away or gets very noticeably reduced when I switch to 7 ch surround.

Why is there a difference in bass between 7 ch stereo and 2 ch stereo? Or rather between 7 ch stereo and all of the other settings? Even the classical music hall settings have the punch.

Thoughts? Am I missing a setting?
post #1245 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

Has anyone used 7 channel stereo mode much? I have a 773, but I'm guessing this would be the same for the 673. I'm looking for the best music setting.

The subwoofer loses it's bottom end when I switch to 7 ch. stereo. No changes to the sub settings at all.

I find that the surround decoders for music add a boominess and you lose some of the detail (maybe better for party music). With Straight, 2 ch stereo and 7 ch stereo, there is more clarity. Straight and 2 ch stereo sound the same (to my ears), but I guess that's to be expected. When I switch to 7 ch stereo, the bottom drops out of the bass. I can have it on just about any other setting and feel the bass vibrations, but that goes away or gets very noticeably reduced when I switch to 7 ch surround.

Why is there a difference in bass between 7 ch stereo and 2 ch stereo? Or rather between 7 ch stereo and all of the other settings? Even the classical music hall settings have the punch.

Thoughts? Am I missing a setting?
I completely understand what you are talking about when losing clarity if listening in one of the dsp modes (Cellar Club, Bottom Line, etc.). I use 7 ch Stereo all the time for Music unless it is a concert on tv that is 5.1. I have never experienced any loss or change in bass from my sub in 7ch stereo though. Im not sure what to think about that.
On the 671 you can change the settings just for each sound program but you cannot change the sub in 7 ch stereo. That may be different for the 773. I would look at that.
Edited by Bond 007 - 2/25/13 at 3:39pm
post #1246 of 3394
Bond, I find cellar club, bottom line, and the music halls to be not so bad. Not like PLII and Neo 6 Music.

There are settings for each of the modes (except for Straight), but not EQ-type settings. It's odd, it's like 7 ch stereo is operating off of different EQ settings. The highs are there, but not so much the lows. There are no sub EQ settings at all, which sucks. All I can do is turn up the sub.

I have an odd subwoofer configuration. This may have something to do with it, although I'm not sure how if it changes from one mode to another. Until I invest in a sub, I'm running the sub out as the only input into an amped sub with it's own volume control (it also used to supply a full 5.1 system, but I'm only using the sub input). The 773 signal seems weaker than it's used to, so I have it up high--not a lot of headroom to increase the bass.

I tried it with the sub off, and the satellites sound the same for Straight, 2 ch stereo and 7 ch stereo. There just isn't as much sub for 7 ch stereo. Very noticeably less.

I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this. Perhaps I should contact Yamaha support. It sucks because everything else seems fine.
Edited by ThinkRationally - 2/26/13 at 6:12am
post #1247 of 3394
I have been stalking the page for a few months and finally decided to get out of the dark ages for our HT setup. Really like the 673 so far, but know we have hardly touched the capabilities of it. We do like the app so far as we have put all of the electronics in the nearby closet. Finally got our in-wall/ceiling speakers in last night and ran smack I to our first problem. As the YPAO went through its cycle, when it hit my surrounds one was fainter then the other, then the system shut down. When powering back up, a "check cables" message popped up. Anyone with experience with this. I checked speaker end and receiver end and found nothing. Haven't chosen to climb back through the attic yet. Would love any diagnostics I may be able to do to before climbing. Any thoughts?
post #1248 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlinrb View Post

I have been stalking the page for a few months and finally decided to get out of the dark ages for our HT setup. Really like the 673 so far, but know we have hardly touched the capabilities of it. We do like the app so far as we have put all of the electronics in the nearby closet. Finally got our in-wall/ceiling speakers in last night and ran smack I to our first problem. As the YPAO went through its cycle, when it hit my surrounds one was fainter then the other, then the system shut down. When powering back up, a "check cables" message popped up. Anyone with experience with this. I checked speaker end and receiver end and found nothing. Haven't chosen to climb back through the attic yet. Would love any diagnostics I may be able to do to before climbing. Any thoughts?

What atmosphere are you running? 5.1, 7.1, 7.2?

If running 5.1, make sure you put your rear speaker cable into surrounds and not surround backs on the receiver.

Also, make sure your speaker cable is not running up against any electrical wires for more than a foot, which can cause interference.

Also, make sure there are no loose strands of wire either at the receiver end of the speaker end.

All else fails, climb into the attic and make sure your cables are in the right locations, both speakers and receiver.
post #1249 of 3394
Highdefav1 - thanks for the thoughts. Double checked to make sure everything was plugged in properly - check. The electrical interference is something I will need to check carefully. Looks like I am crawling soon.
post #1250 of 3394
Another thing, try disconnecting both ends of the speaker wire (make sure the ends are not touching), and use an ohm meter on one end, each lead from the meter to each wire. This would tell you if you have a short in the wire somewhere if you read anything other than an open.
post #1251 of 3394
Good all round EXCEPT remote is a user's nightmare - especially net radio tuning. Moving from one net station to the next requires THREE buttons be pushed. Can you imagine having to push three separate buttons to go one station up on the FM tuner? - that's what you have to do if you want to station hop on V-Tuner. My cheap WiFi Sanyo table radio tunes net stations just as smoothly as the FM band. Strange that the Yamaha 673 remote is such a user unfriendly pig to operate. The cluttered remote alone should be enough to reduce this unit to 2 1/2 stars from 4 1/2.
post #1252 of 3394
I finally managed to finish today the setup for the RX-673 and Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX (it's 5.0 - I will buy a subwoofer anytime soon).
I ran YPAO but was not attentive and I think it calibrated for 7.1. nevertheless let it do its job and finally it said OK (I presumed with the 7.1 calibration the additional surround channels will put their sounding in the side surround speakers too). After that, when listening both on a SACD and on TV, the display on the AVR showed the configuration of 5 speakers - so I reckoned the receivered 'saw'' that there are only 5 speakers.
My previous (5.1) system was a home cinema Pioneer DCS-585.

As first impressions after listening to both a SACD with Pink Floyd, and then some channels on the TV: I am somewhat not impressed with the sound, at least as compared with the previous Pioneer home cinema (supposedly a much lower quality device): apart from the fact that there is almost no bass, the trebble sounds a bit muffled, or rather, there is a certain coloration to the upper and even the mid frequencies. This results in a not natural sound. Almost all the voices have a certain tonality which doesnt sound right - at least not for what I was expecting to hear from yamaha 673.
The overall sound of Pioneer DCS-585 was...cleaner, more natural (and of course with more bass, although that was to be expected, given the lack of a sub in this newer system).

I wonder if this is because of YPAO and wether I should run it again (maybe in the manual mode?)
I also was not attentive what YPAO has chosen for my speakers configuration (large or small).
Could part of the problem be caused by the fact that I have the MA BXFX surround speakers (set on bipole and placed on side walls; listening position is on a couch against the back wall) placed a bit too high(about 2.5 feet) above ear level in listening position?

I had run the last update from usb - after previously getting that error 2000 message.

Thank you.
post #1253 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru27 View Post

I ran YPAO but was not attentive and I think it calibrated for 7.1. nevertheless let it do its job and finally it said OK (I presumed with the 7.1 calibration the additional surround channels will put their sounding in the side surround speakers too). After that, when listening both on a SACD and on TV, the display on the AVR showed the configuration of 5 speakers - so I reckoned the receivered 'saw'' that there are only 5 speakers.
My previous (5.1) system was a home cinema Pioneer DCS-585.

As first impressions after listening to both a SACD with Pink Floyd, and then some channels on the TV: I am somewhat not impressed with the sound, at least as compared with the previous Pioneer home cinema (supposedly a much lower quality device): apart from the fact that there is almost no bass, the trebble sounds a bit muffled, or rather, there is a certain coloration to the upper and even the mid frequencies. This results in a not natural sound. Almost all the voices have a certain tonality which doesnt sound right - at least not for what I was expecting to hear from yamaha 673.
The overall sound of Pioneer DCS-585 was...cleaner, more natural (and of course with more bass, although that was to be expected, given the lack of a sub in this newer system).

YPAO seems to check all speaker outputs. It will have found only 5 speakers and calibrated accordingly. If you go into the manual setup, I think you'll see the unconnected speakers greyed out

As for your dissatisfaction with the sound, you can go in and adjust EQ settings after YPAO is done. On my 773 YPAO gives 3 pre-set EQ options (Flat, Normal, and Natural, or something like that). You can mess around until you get the sound you're looking for.

Also, check the sound mode you are running in. The receiver has a lot to choose from. It might be in Sci-Fi, which is not the best for music.

Another thing to consider is the psychological/physiological aspect of the way we hear sound. You are likely accustomed to your old Pioneer, and consider its sound as "natural", while any other sound seems unnatural. People's ears and perceptions grow into new speakers and sound systems.

Further yet, if your old system had a sub and you now have no sub, it will be very difficult to accurately compare. Turning a sub on and off makes quite a difference. Speaking of which, have you changed all of your speakers? If so, you aren't really set up to do a straight comparison between the Pioneer and the Yamaha. I would say that speakers have far more impact on the the sound than the receiver (if you are running straight with no sound processing programs anyway).
post #1254 of 3394
The RX-Vx73 series is now listed as discontinued and the RX-Vx75 are listed on the Yamaha US site:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?mode=series
post #1255 of 3394
The 675 has almost identical specs to the 673 and yet it has a different rear panel layout. For some reason they did a significant redesign internally, maybe simply to drive down the manufacturing cost?
post #1256 of 3394
What's odd, is that the 475 and 575 follow the same design as the 73 models. Looks like only the 675 was redesigned.
post #1257 of 3394
It would be nice to see them go to a class D amplifier.
post #1258 of 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

The RX-Vx73 series is now listed as discontinued and the RX-Vx75 are listed on the Yamaha US site:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?mode=series

The RX-Vx73's still seem to be on the current products page and not marked discontinued. They are below the 75's. One could expect them to be moved to the discontinued page before long, though.

The specs look nearly identical except for MHL support. Does anyone see any other notable differences?
post #1259 of 3394
Yeah, not sure what I saw, but they're currently not listed as discontinued, but I'm sure that won't be too far off.

It looks like the 475 has added an HDMI port.
post #1260 of 3394
@ThinkRationally: Unfortunatelly I've listened to all (or almost all) of the settings. The slight coloration on highs it's about everywhere.
I wonder if it's not a problem of speakers-receiver sound/tone compatibility.
Yes, I've exchanged all the speakers - the old ones were all part of the Pioneer DCS-585 (including the subwoofer) home cinema, as an all in one solution.

It might also be a run-in problem for the Monitor Audio new speakers (I'm just listening to them for the first time today) so I should probably keep listening to them for at least 2-3 weeks before drawing any conclusions.

You are right about the psychological attitude regarding old and newer speakers and getting used to listening to new tonality - not to mention that I've yet to add a sub to it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR