or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR - Page 75

post #2221 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I dont have any Apple devices but I use my Android tablet as a remote control. You should be able to do the same thing with your phone.
Android app is great. I like how the net radio stations are populated on the phone for easy selection.
post #2222 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Anyone using Rhapsody or other audio streaming services with this receiver?

I'm looking at purchasing the 673 or 675 so that I can stream Rhapsody to outdoor speakers. I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help with:

1. How does Rhapsody integrate with the receiver - as far as a UI is concerned? Do you have to have your TV on to see what songs you are choosing for playback? Ideally I want to use my iPhone as a remote control - with the RECEIVER pulling the songs from Rhapsody, as opposed to my iPhone streaming Rhapsody to the receiver via Airplay. So essentially I would use my iPhone to tell the receiver play songs x and y and the receiver would pull it over its ethernet and play it back. Is that possible?

2. If that is not possible, I assume I could just stream music from Rhapsody to my iPhone and have the receiver play it back via Airplay. How well does that work?

3. Can I set things up so that Airplay always plays back over Speaker set B? So if someone is watching TV where the Yamaha is, and I select music on my iPhone for playback via Airplay, I'd want the Yamaha to continue to play the sound for the TV to those who are using it, while at the same time playing back music to my outdoor speakers (set B). Is this possible?

Thanks in advance. Any setup / playback tips greatly appreciated.

In going through the manual I read that Airplay is only available in Zone 2 when it is also playing in the main zone. That's really a shame.

What about if I am using RHAPSODY as the input source. Can I have that playing in Zone 2 while something else plays in the main zone?
post #2223 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I dont have any Apple devices but I use my Android tablet as a remote control. You should be able to do the same thing with your phone.

Thanks. I see the iPhone app store has a Yamaha A/V remote control app. So then do you think I would be able to use this to select Zone 2, then select Rhapsody and enter the keystrokes to find an album and select play - all through the app? Thanks!
post #2224 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Thanks. I see the iPhone app store has a Yamaha A/V remote control app. So then do you think I would be able to use this to select Zone 2, then select Rhapsody and enter the keystrokes to find an album and select play - all through the app? Thanks!
I dont use Zone 2 but you can certainly do that all through Zone 1 so I dont see why not. And yes I also use Rhapsody.
post #2225 of 3401
Hi All -
I recently purchased a yamaha rx-v673, but for whatever reason it wont let me access the on screen menu. When I push the on screen button, the receiver displays "Not Available". I see the piano board background for the menu, but cant bring up any of the configuration settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #2226 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaspeaker View Post

I recently purchased a yamaha rx-v673, but for whatever reason it wont let me access the on screen menu. When I push the on screen button, the receiver displays "Not Available".

 

I'm presuming the display is only supported via HDMI?

post #2227 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I dont use Zone 2 but you can certainly do that all through Zone 1 so I dont see why not. And yes I also use Rhapsody.

Any chance you can quickly test it for me today? Maybe plug a speaker into zone 2 as a quick test?

Also how is the quality of Rhapsody HD sound-wise through he receiver?

And have you tried AirPlay? How well does that work?
post #2228 of 3401
I don't use it but Rhapsody is available on Zone2 and can be controlled by the web interface. Here is the web page I see.



I don't do iOS or Android but they should very similar.
post #2229 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaspeaker View Post

I recently purchased a yamaha rx-v673, but for whatever reason it wont let me access the on screen menu. When I push the on screen button, the receiver displays "Not Available".

I'm presuming the display is only supported via HDMI?

Correct.
post #2230 of 3401
So I've got the receivers remote turning on the tv which is good cuz it also turns the receiver on...saving me a button press smile.gif
though I wanted to ask, when I press the same button (to turn off the TV) is the receiver supposed to turn off? I'm not sure if its supposed to or I'm impatient or its not supposed to.
post #2231 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaspeaker View Post

Hi All -
I recently purchased a yamaha rx-v673, but for whatever reason it wont let me access the on screen menu. When I push the on screen button, the receiver displays "Not Available". I see the piano board background for the menu, but cant bring up any of the configuration settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't know if it's my Remote, your Remote or others, but I have issues with the On Screen Menus as well. My solution here was to grab my wife's RX-V473 Remote, and the On Screen Menu problem no longer exists. Spoke with Yamaha and they want me to send the Remote back and wait several weeks without, before getting a replacement. And who's to say the replacement won't have the same issue? So other Yamaha Remotes in the house work for the On Screen Menus, so I just substitute when the need arises. Elsewise everything else works on the 673 Remote. 473 Remote also required to run the YPAO setup. Maybe there's an issue with the 673 Remote, or, the wrong one was sent with the Unit - my Remote Model # is RAV472 / ZA23820. The 473 Remote # is RAV464 / ZA11360
post #2232 of 3401
G'day all,

Have been reading for a while and purchased my 673 last week, love it!
I have a question re Airplay!
I cant get the Airplay to work as in there is no Airplay 'button' coming up on either my Mac or my iphone.
I have the Yamaha app on my phone and I can use airplay via it no problems.
The airplay button did use to show up on the phone before I installed the app!??!?!
The receiver is wired to the router and is all good. ( have downloaded the latest firmware no probs)

Cheers in advance

Gavin
post #2233 of 3401
Has anyone managed to get ARC to work with a Sony R550?
I have tried two different HDMI cables and neither seem to work.

HDMI Control on and ARC on.
- When I try to change the volume using the TV remote I get the message "TV volume is fixed".
- Most of the time I don't get any sound through the AMP or the TV speakers no matter what the source is.
- Right now with this configuration the sound is working fom my cable box which is connected via HDMI to the amp, but I still don't get any sound through the amp for Netflix.

HDMI control off (so ARC is off), Audio Output (Amp on, HDMI OUT (TV) on)
- Trying to change the volume with the TV remote I get the message "TV volume if fixed"
- The sound does come out of the amp as expected when watching an HDMI source.
- When I watch Netflix on the TV the amp doesn't change to output what is being shown on Netflix it carries on playing the last HDMI source.

I would prefer to get ARC working than have to run an optical cable from the TV to the amp if possible, but right now it seems that may be my only option frown.gif
post #2234 of 3401
ARC is often unreliable and has no advantage other than saving you from running an optical cable. Good luck.
post #2235 of 3401
Ziggy,


You need to login to your router and make sure "multicasting" is enabled. I had the same issue and this is what solved it for me.

Use google to search your specific routers proceedures for this feature.

Cheers
post #2236 of 3401
Thanks,

Checked the multicasting and it was on ! Thought i was on a winner !!!! smile.gif

What I did do was turn off the DHCP setting in the network setup and two things happened....

1) Airplay buttons appeared on my devices ( but they wont connect !)
2) Lose control of the AVR from my iphone app as it cant see it anymore on the network.

Again, any help appreciated. I'm certainly not Au-fait with this side of things

Cheers
Gavin
post #2237 of 3401
Just picked this receiver up open box from best buy for $190, only got the avr unit - no remote, antennas, box, or surround set up microphone (have one from a pioneer that should work I assume) How is the android app for control? Can I access all the features and settings once I get the network set up? (is that even possible without the remote?) Won't have much time to tinker with it for a few days. Replacement remotes look like $40-$50 after shipping
post #2238 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmehmeh View Post

Just picked this receiver up open box from best buy for $190, only got the avr unit - no remote, antennas, box, or surround set up microphone (have one from a pioneer that should work I assume) How is the android app for control? Can I access all the features and settings once I get the network set up? (is that even possible without the remote?) Won't have much time to tinker with it for a few days. Replacement remotes look like $40-$50 after shipping
Android app gives you access to most set up as does the network interface.I have mine setup wired to my router.
post #2239 of 3401
Sorry for short rely laptop going dead.
post #2240 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Sorry for short rely laptop going dead.

Revive your dead battery. Enclose in a freezer bag, and leave in freezer for 12 to 15 hours. Remove, wrap in paper towel, and let come back up to room temperature. Reinstall into laptop, and charge up, and discharge several times, before doing a charge to use. Wife told me about this, so looked it up on Google where there is a video showing the procedure. Revived my old dead 3 year battery I was using as a heat sink for my Darbee. Worked - back up and running, and appears to work better than originally! Using TV stand for my Darbee heat sink now.
post #2241 of 3401
I'll give it a try,thanks.
post #2242 of 3401
Will Zone 2 output work for powering 4 pairs of speakers with impedance matching volume controls?
post #2243 of 3401
Hi, thanks for the replies re my airplay issue.

I've now discovered if I go into the AVR network settings and select the DHCP setting to 'off', the airplay icon then appears in black on iTunes but wont connect. When I then turn the DHCP settings back to 'on' the airplay turns blue, connects instantly & 100% ok!

If however I close the mac I will have to do it again to get it to connect as it wont see the AVR.

Does anyone know how I can get this to to work? I thought having it turned on would allow the IP address to be assigned automatically and just work every time I turned itunes on the Mac (or iphone) on.

• Internet radio is sweet.
• No additional settings changed on my mac that I know of. I don't have any AV software installed.

The AVR is wired directly to the router and connection seems ok.


Thanks again,

Gavin
post #2244 of 3401
Still haven't had much time to set up this receiver, (got it right before working long hours for the next two week straight) Had a chance to get it connected to my network via wireless bridge (still not even connected to a tv or speakers) . Was initially disappointed by the limited setting through the web interface, but tried up the android app and it appears to have full remote emulation over the network connection, so I should be able to access all the menu and options without buying a replacement IR remote.
post #2245 of 3401
Ziggy,

What router do you have? I can do some research and see if there is a setting specific to your router that is keeping you from reliable airplay. I set a static IP for my reciever. That with multicast turned on means everything is working perfectly.

You can see what the ip address is on your receiver when it is set to dynamic...copy those numbers and then change the setting to static and put in the exact same information. I changed my DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS). Those numbers don't matter for airplay but they help a bit with internet speeds for streaming stations and whatnot.
post #2246 of 3401
Thanks for your reply.

Its a netcomm NB604N.

When I set the DHCP to off, the Ip address fields auto populate with what I presume is the current assigned settings. What should I change them too? (DNS both set at 0.0.0.0). The airplay doesn't come up blue under these settings until I turn it back to ON.

Thanks again,

Gavin
post #2247 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

Has anyone managed to get ARC to work with a Sony R550?
I have tried two different HDMI cables and neither seem to work.

HDMI Control on and ARC on.
- When I try to change the volume using the TV remote I get the message "TV volume is fixed".
- Most of the time I don't get any sound through the AMP or the TV speakers no matter what the source is.
- Right now with this configuration the sound is working fom my cable box which is connected via HDMI to the amp, but I still don't get any sound through the amp for Netflix.

HDMI control off (so ARC is off), Audio Output (Amp on, HDMI OUT (TV) on)
- Trying to change the volume with the TV remote I get the message "TV volume if fixed"
- The sound does come out of the amp as expected when watching an HDMI source.
- When I watch Netflix on the TV the amp doesn't change to output what is being shown on Netflix it carries on playing the last HDMI source.

I would prefer to get ARC working than have to run an optical cable from the TV to the amp if possible, but right now it seems that may be my only option frown.gif

I had a lot of trouble getting my ARC working too. I had to use a specific HDMI input on my TV. Only one of the HDMI inputs on the TV support ARC. I really wanted it to work correctly because i can stream stuff to my TV from my phone and I want it to play out of the receiver. It works great when Im using it but.. It sucks at all other times. Whenever I change devices (from my cable box to my HTPC for instance) it seems like the receiver us picking up the signal from the TV and reverting back to the TVs HDMI input instead of what I need it to be. LIke, its trying to pull audio from the TV when it should be pulling audio from the cable box. It automatically defaults to the TVs ARC instead of anything else.This has been so aggravating that Ive stopped using it.
post #2248 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post

Will Zone 2 output work for powering 4 pairs of speakers with impedance matching volume controls?

I guess I'm going to find out! Picked up one from Amazon. So far I only have one pair of ceiling speakers hooked up to Zone 2. Love controlling the music with my tablet!! I wish it had a "Search" feature for the internet radio and for MP3s on the PC server.

The spring clips for Zone 2 speakers made me a little sad, especially when the manual shows the next model up has the banana plugs! wink.gif

Is it possible to manually adjust the Tone for Zone 2? Want to bump up the bass a little...

Thanks,
Matt
post #2249 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmehmeh View Post

...tried up the android app and it appears to have full remote emulation over the network connection, so I should be able to access all the menu and options without buying a replacement IR remote.
It does? I don't see any way to access the On Screen menu to set-up speaker size settings, EQ, etc.
post #2250 of 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post

It does? I don't see any way to access the On Screen menu to set-up speaker size settings, EQ, etc.
Open the app,where the 3 dots are you can access the remote. The on screen bottom is there
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V673 thread. 7.2-Channel Network AVR